This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52) [message #729532 is a reply to message #729523 ]
Sun, 03 February 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 17:20

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 18:07

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 15:54

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 17:24

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 13:48

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 15:45

Why is Russell the D on the second line in OT? Where is Larsson?

I’d wager they believe Russel is better suited to 3v3? Speed reasons. I dunno. A better question is raise is why is Chiasson out to take an offensive zone faceoff with Nuge on his wing?

Russel because he has better wheels, Larsson will get eaten alive 3 on 3, but Chiasson is slow as molasses, bad call having him out 3 on 3... having said that LD managed to nullify a 2 on 0 just before that.

You could see Connor want that puck once the two of them were alone, but Drai kept it while also slowing Connor and the play down, allowing the D to catch up and nullify the golden opportunity.

He gives it to Connor at the blueline once it’s turned over, Connor gets a clear breakaway and Leon hustles his butt for any potential rebound if Connor can’t bury it in alone on Price. We wouldn’t even have to talk about Chiasson and Russell on the ice 3v3 of that happens.

You got that right, LD doing what he does way too often, stops his feet, slows down the play, allows the other team to get in position and/or check him. A BAD HABIT that needs to be broken if this team has any hopes of getting wins on a regular basis.

Absolutely. Which, I hate to say it, he’s more engaged when he’s playing WITH Connor (that OT play aside). It would be a dream if he could “carry his own line” but as I described in a different thread he could be that winger Oilers mgmt can’t seem to find for Connor (though, I have to say Lucic and Rattie have impressed me 5v5 this weekend). Regardless, Leon needs to keep his legs moving. Maybe he needs to not get PK time, since we spend so much time on the PK. He was out with Rieder for awhile then later with a McDavid on the PK.

Yeah, what I've been harping on LD for awhile now is that he only gets it out of 3rd when he's hunting down a feed from Connor. You have to skate miles to play center, and I don't think Leon is a 2C until he's prepared to do that. Centers are in the play at both ends of the ice. And yes, given the optics of how much juice he appears to be lacking as a young man later in games this year (and years past), the PK will still suck as much if he's not on it. Leon's a 1W who can take some draws.

Yeah, as Kr55 said, critical of a 90 pt. guy potentially? Only because of the promise and the obvious instincts that LD has, and the obvious shortcomings that are blatantly standing in the way of what I think is a ton of upside....a few points worth and maybe more importantly, less of those ill advised turnovers, and a faster more dangerous rate of play. How dominant could he be if he cut even half those shortcomings out of his game?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52) [message #729533 is a reply to message #729532 ]
Sun, 03 February 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 21:13

I’d wager they believe Russel is better suited to 3v3? Speed reasons. I dunno. A better question is raise is why is Chiasson out to take an offensive zone faceoff with Nuge on his wing?

Russel because he has better wheels, Larsson will get eaten alive 3 on 3, but Chiasson is slow as molasses, bad call having him out 3 on 3... having said that LD managed to nullify a 2 on 0 just before that.

You could see Connor want that puck once the two of them were alone, but Drai kept it while also slowing Connor and the play down, allowing the D to catch up and nullify the golden opportunity.

He gives it to Connor at the blueline once it’s turned over, Connor gets a clear breakaway and Leon hustles his butt for any potential rebound if Connor can’t bury it in alone on Price. We wouldn’t even have to talk about Chiasson and Russell on the ice 3v3 of that happens.

You got that right, LD doing what he does way too often, stops his feet, slows down the play, allows the other team to get in position and/or check him. A BAD HABIT that needs to be broken if this team has any hopes of getting wins on a regular basis.

Absolutely. Which, I hate to say it, he’s more engaged when he’s playing WITH Connor (that OT play aside). It would be a dream if he could “carry his own line” but as I described in a different thread he could be that winger Oilers mgmt can’t seem to find for Connor (though, I have to say Lucic and Rattie have impressed me 5v5 this weekend). Regardless, Leon needs to keep his legs moving. Maybe he needs to not get PK time, since we spend so much time on the PK. He was out with Rieder for awhile then later with a McDavid on the PK.

Yeah, what I've been harping on LD for awhile now is that he only gets it out of 3rd when he's hunting down a feed from Connor. You have to skate miles to play center, and I don't think Leon is a 2C until he's prepared to do that. Centers are in the play at both ends of the ice. And yes, given the optics of how much juice he appears to be lacking as a young man later in games this year (and years past), the PK will still suck as much if he's not on it. Leon's a 1W who can take some draws.

Yeah, as Kr55 said, critical of a 90 pt. guy potentially? Only because of the promise and the obvious instincts that LD has, and the obvious shortcomings that are blatantly standing in the way of what I think is a ton of upside....a few points worth and maybe more importantly, less of those ill advised turnovers, and a faster more dangerous rate of play. How dominant could he be if he cut even half those shortcomings out of his game?

I think if LD is gonna play C, he needs at least 1 very high quality winger. He needs some help if there is going to be consistent offense with him at C. Guy is definitely talented, but he does need someone out there with him that is helping push the pace. He's not a guy you can just send out there with 2 bums and expect him to create stuff on his own. I don't think there are many guys in this league that could do that anyways, especially also without having D that can make plays so you're usually stuck having to start your offense from deep in your own zone. We're spoiled having 1 guy that can pull that off here. Probably only a handful of others around the NHL.

I think there is a reason you see teams end up with lines like Landeskog-Rantanen-MacKinnon, and Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak. You try putting those guys on their own lines and you end up with much less if your team is thin, which those teams are beyond their top end, but still not nearly as thin as we are. People like to compare Pastrnak and Drai. I'd love to see Pastrnak try to rack up points with Lucic and Khaira as his linemates. Take away McAvoy and Krug too and replace them with Manning and Russell.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2019 22:00]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52) [message #729534 is a reply to message #729532 ]
Sun, 03 February 2019 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 21:13

I think that people will say these things about Draisaitl his whole career, because he is big with a long stride and he makes it look pretty effortless.

I don't think he's a perfect player, but I think much of the time, the criticism of him is misplaced. I can't really comment on tonight's play, because I only have seen highlights so missed that, but he's generally had pretty good instincts on two-on-ones with McDavid, so I can live with an error every now and then.

As for the drive your own line thing, I don't really know if I believe that it's a necessity. There are a lot of great pairs in the league now, so it's nice to be able to put them out together and see the offence come.

I actually think both he and Nuge would look better if they had anyone besides McDavid to play with though. The winger depth is pretty horrendous. Also - was Puljujarvi really on the fourth line with Brodziak again tonight?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52) [message #729538 is a reply to message #729534 ]
Sun, 03 February 2019 22:11 Go to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 22:31

I think that people will say these things about Draisaitl his whole career, because he is big with a long stride and he makes it look pretty effortless.

I don't think he's a perfect player, but I think much of the time, the criticism of him is misplaced. I can't really comment on tonight's play, because I only have seen highlights so missed that, but he's generally had pretty good instincts on two-on-ones with McDavid, so I can live with an error every now and then.

As for the drive your own line thing, I don't really know if I believe that it's a necessity. There are a lot of great pairs in the league now, so it's nice to be able to put them out together and see the offence come.

I actually think both he and Nuge would look better if they had anyone besides McDavid to play with though. The winger depth is pretty horrendous. Also - was Puljujarvi really on the fourth line with Brodziak again tonight?

Yes - JP was paired with Brodziak, again, and Malone. For whatever reason. If that's their plan with him, send him down. It's ridiculous. Credit to Hitch though, he's stayed true to his lines this weekend.

He (Leon) did look good with Hall that one year we had wingers. Heck, even after the Hall trade we still had some wing depth. Now it's non-existent. You're right, they would look better if they had someone other than Connor to play with. Problem is, they don't and there's next to no cap space to go out and get someone to pair them with.

Rieder and Chiasson with Leon while Khaira and Kassian are with Nuge... it's just, bad. And I'm a big time Kass fan. Rieder and arguably Chiasson (though he had a real hot stretch there for awhile) aren't top 6 wingers. You can argue that you're able to get away with one of them on a top 6 line as a compliment to a true top 6 pairing, like Chiasson was with the Leon and Connor. But to rely on them BEING the pair with Leon?

Khaira and Kass are bottom 6 wingers for sure, not out of their element, but I don't think that's playing to Nuge's strength. Don't get me wrong, I liked that JJ Hockey-Nugget-Pizza line, but it brings me back to my above point, where you CAN get away with one guy to be a complimentary piece to a top 6 pair, such as Khaira complimenting Nuge and Puljujarvi. Ideally, the lines Hitch started with are where we go back to.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Chiasson(C)
Lucic(C) - Nugent-Hopkins - Puljujarvi
Rieder(C) - Brodziak - Kassian
Khaira(C) - Malone/Cave - Rattie
*(C) Complimentary player to the line pair

I wouldn't even hesitate swapping Lucic to 3L, Khaira to 2L and Rieder to 4L. Lucic has looked much better of late. He's skating, he's moving the puck, he's making room for Connor. He looks engaged. Heck, Kassian and Rieder looked good together those couple of games they were lined up with Brodziak.

We've seen successes, albeit in short doses because of the incessant line blender.

I can't stress it enough, if they're planning on keeping JP up... put him in a spot he can achieve something. If the reason they play him lower in the lineup is because they're "worried" about his defensive inability, guess what, in the above you have NUGENT-HOPKINS as his centre. Don't Yakupov him with Letestu. Stop. Playing. Him. With. Brodziak.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #52)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca