This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729242]
Thu, 31 January 2019 14:23 Go to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
The #Oilers have recalled Brad Malone from the @Condors. The forward has scored 7 goals & 17 assists in 41 games with Bakersfield this season.

The centre is also a +8 through 41 games.

Had been playing with Russell and Gambardella most often.

He’s pretty good on the dot. Has a career faceoff percentage of 54.5, through 183 games, which includes 9 games in 2011/12 with Colorado where he was 12.5% and has had an average over 60% through his last 3 stints in the NHL.

Also comes in at $650,000, the cheapest call up option

[Updated on: Thu, 31 January 2019 14:25]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729245 is a reply to message #729242 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 14:23

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
The #Oilers have recalled Brad Malone from the @Condors. The forward has scored 7 goals & 17 assists in 41 games with Bakersfield this season.

The centre is also a +8 through 41 games.

Had been playing with Russell and Gambardella most often.

He’s pretty good on the dot. Has a career faceoff percentage of 54.5, through 183 games, which includes 9 games in 2011/12 with Colorado where he was 12.5% and has had an average over 60% through his last 3 stints in the NHL.

Also comes in at $650,000, the cheapest call up option

And so behind the era of the Keith.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729246 is a reply to message #729245 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Could we see a Kassian trade to move salary? Are you losing a ton if you swap out a Malone for Kassian? Kassian is probably slightly better but how much better?

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729247 is a reply to message #729246 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 16:18

Could we see a Kassian trade to move salary? Are you losing a ton if you swap out a Malone for Kassian? Kassian is probably slightly better but how much better?

I think you lose on the 'character' in the room that has been talked about from BN and the media that the Oilers are lacking. Yeah, he (Kassian) makes a bit much money for what he's bringing offensively, but I think (given my limited knowledge on the room) that you'd be losing more than meets the eye.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729248 is a reply to message #729247 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 15:25

I think you lose on the 'character' in the room that has been talked about from BN and the media that the Oilers are lacking. Yeah, he (Kassian) makes a bit much money for what he's bringing offensively, but I think (given my limited knowledge on the room) that you'd be losing more than meets the eye.

I would counter by saying what exactly has all this character done for them the last 2 seasons?

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729251 is a reply to message #729247 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I think he's a guy who's actual value is probably less than his perceived value to some other GMs. I think you could do okay on a Kassian trade, while freeing up cap space and bringing in someone else who could contribute to the same amount.

I have a hard time believing he's much of a leader within the dressing room. He brings grit, but that and 50 cents still won't buy you a cup of coffee.

I do think his performance was depressed under McLellan, but we haven't seen a big recovery (other than the one game against Buffalo).

He's not my first priority to deal - I'd rather flush Manning, Spooner, Brodziak or Lucic but assuming none of those things can happen, Kassian's in the next rung.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729282 is a reply to message #729251 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 18:03

I think he's a guy who's actual value is probably less than his perceived value to some other GMs. I think you could do okay on a Kassian trade, while freeing up cap space and bringing in someone else who could contribute to the same amount.

I have a hard time believing he's much of a leader within the dressing room. He brings grit, but that and 50 cents still won't buy you a cup of coffee.

I do think his performance was depressed under McLellan, but we haven't seen a big recovery (other than the one game against Buffalo).

He's not my first priority to deal - I'd rather flush Manning, Spooner, Brodziak or Lucic but assuming none of those things can happen, Kassian's in the next rung.

I agree with you. If Kassian is making 950K, I'd have no problem with him but at 1.95 mill, he should be a 3rd line player. Maybe he can moonlight once in a blue moon but he's a 4th liner. Maybe your 4th line center can make just over 1 mill because centers in my opinion are slightly more important than wingers but a 4th line winger shouldn't be making over a mill.

I also think you are correct in his perceived value around the league. He's big, can be physical, plays with an edge, at times shows he has skill and he can skate which is the key. Teams still value that. You don't have to look any further than what the supposedly "genius" Vegas Knights did. They signed Reeves for 2 years at 2.775 mill. He's a decent skating goon, been like that his whole career. He's having a career year with 8 goals, 15 pts. But over his whole career, he's a typically in the 3-7 goals, 10-15 pt range. Is Reeves not just a 4 year older Kassian? One season Kassian scored 14 goals and had 29 pts. Other than that, he's been in the 7 goal range, high teens, low 20's point wise. So he might even look more attractive than a Reeves.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729285 is a reply to message #729251 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Yes. Agreed.

There was a journal column/blog suggesting Sam Gagner could be a possible upgrade to current lack of scoring on roster. Would you trade Spooner, Brodziak or Kassian for Gagner if Vancouver seemed intereted?

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729291 is a reply to message #729285 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

stotto wrote on Fri, 01 February 2019 11:28

Yes. Agreed.

There was a journal column/blog suggesting Sam Gagner could be a possible upgrade to current lack of scoring on roster. Would you trade Spooner, Brodziak or Kassian for Gagner if Vancouver seemed intereted?

Sure. Why not cycle through another attempt to find depth scoring?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729295 is a reply to message #729291 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 01 February 2019 13:59

Yes. Agreed.

Overpaid and underachieving depth scoring, you mean?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729298 is a reply to message #729291 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 01 February 2019 12:59

Yes. Agreed.

Gagner's got another year at just over $3.1MM - I'd one for one him for Spooner, because there's no real risk there - but not one-for-one for the other guys unless Vancouver carries the balance between the two salaries. Gagner for Brodziak and Kassian? I could get behind that one possibly.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800694 is a reply to message #729298 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Malone gets another chance

https://theahl.com/stats/transactions/402/73?page=1

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800698 is a reply to message #800694 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 28 February 2022 09:46

So Benson out, Malone in?

I hope Malone scores a goal that goes off the post and in. Then mean Gene can put on his face tattoos and make a dozen Post Malone puns.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800713 is a reply to message #800698 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 28 February 2022 10:20

So Benson out, Malone in?

I hope Malone scores a goal that goes off the post and in. Then mean Gene can put on his face tattoos and make a dozen Post Malone puns.

Well done, I can't unsee that visual.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800727 is a reply to message #800694 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Starting to get pretty thin at forward. They are down Nuge, JP and Kassian, all guys with injuries, all of whom would be in your top 12. Yamo is day to day. Pretty tough to replace 4 guys.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800728 is a reply to message #800727 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 28 February 2022 15:19

Starting to get pretty thin at forward. They are down Nuge, JP and Kassian, all guys with injuries, all of whom would be in your top 12. Yamo is day to day. Pretty tough to replace 4 guys.

You'd think now was the time for Holloway just to get some skill in the lineup.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800730 is a reply to message #800728 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 28 February 2022 15:23

He might not be far away but at the same time he hasn't played a lot of games in over a year so asking him to step into the NHL might be a tall order.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800744 is a reply to message #800730 ]
Mon, 28 February 2022 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 28 February 2022 15:33

He might not be far away but at the same time he hasn't played a lot of games in over a year so asking him to step into the NHL might be a tall order.

We've got Benson anyways, who needs Holloway?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800752 is a reply to message #800744 ]
Tue, 01 March 2022 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 28 February 2022 22:32

We've got Benson anyways, who needs Holloway?

This is true. He does have 1 goal in 26 games so they may want to tap into a red hot player and ride that wave.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800756 is a reply to message #800730 ]
Tue, 01 March 2022 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I agree, I wouldn't rush him in and plant pressure on him. He just hasn't played enough hockey at a critical period of his development.

I like how Gregor states he shouldn't be rushed, but keeps predicting rough dates when he "could" possibly get recalled, only to keep pushing it back. I believe late March was his latest. How about Fall of 2022? Or am I just crazy?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800759 is a reply to message #800756 ]
Tue, 01 March 2022 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 01 March 2022 09:29

I agree, I wouldn't rush him in and plant pressure on him. He just hasn't played enough hockey at a critical period of his development.

I like how Gregor states he shouldn't be rushed, but keeps predicting rough dates when he "could" possibly get recalled, only to keep pushing it back. I believe late March was his latest. How about Fall of 2022? Or am I just crazy?

In my opinion, rushing a player means you put him into the NHL right after he gets drafted with zero or next to zero pro experience. They did that a ton in the past, most recently was JP where he was already marked in pen to make that team before he even did his first practice.

With Holloway, they send him right down to Bakersfield when he was recovered. He's played 16 games and has 10 pts which is pretty darn good considering he never played any pro hockey and didn't play hockey for 3/4 of a year while he recovered. If he continues to play really well at the AHL level, I wouldn't call that rushing him. I do think bringing in Kane helped slow down his recall which is a good thing.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800763 is a reply to message #800759 ]
Tue, 01 March 2022 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 01 March 2022 10:15

In my opinion, rushing a player means you put him into the NHL right after he gets drafted with zero or next to zero pro experience. They did that a ton in the past, most recently was JP where he was already marked in pen to make that team before he even did his first practice.

With Holloway, they send him right down to Bakersfield when he was recovered. He's played 16 games and has 10 pts which is pretty darn good considering he never played any pro hockey and didn't play hockey for 3/4 of a year while he recovered. If he continues to play really well at the AHL level, I wouldn't call that rushing him. I do think bringing in Kane helped slow down his recall which is a good thing.

I want to see Holloway up in the NHL ASAP, but he isn't overripe yet. I wish we had more data from the AHL such as ice time, faceoffs won/lost,etc.

The Oilers under Woodcroft seem to prefer dressing 7 D and 11 F and that puts extra pressure on the forwards (more ice time, more shuffling of linemates, more so if one of them gets injured or ejected),

I'm okay with seeing Holloway with the Oilers as a Black Ace as the Oilers make a long run in the 2022 playoffs, then earning a spot as a top 6 or 9 F at training camp in the fall. My dream is Lavoie and Holloway making the Oilers out of training camp and sticking around for 2022-23. Would even help with the salary cap quagmire the Oiler management has built.

I'm just a fan, not an NHL GM. Kind of fun to play one on the Internet, though.

GO OILERS!!!! rock rock rock

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800767 is a reply to message #800759 ]
Tue, 01 March 2022 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well, we're seeing that league wide where guys on ELC are getting looks to see if they can contribute at that price point over vets at higher contracts. Its been happening for awhile. If you're a team that's got some high end salaries, you're #1 D's is going up 80% or whatever in the next season, you have to re-sign 2 top 6 wingers and you have to spend on a competent and consistent 1G. With their injuries, they're lucky to have signed Kane. I think the pressure to play prospects on ELC just to get value under the cap will continue for the Oilers and league wide. Probably not always the best in terms of their development, though.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #800963 is a reply to message #800767 ]
Fri, 04 March 2022 13:14 Go to previous message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 01 March 2022 11:43

Well, we're seeing that league wide where guys on ELC are getting looks to see if they can contribute at that price point over vets at higher contracts. Its been happening for awhile. If you're a team that's got some high end salaries, you're #1 D's is going up 80% or whatever in the next season, you have to re-sign 2 top 6 wingers and you have to spend on a competent and consistent 1G. With their injuries, they're lucky to have signed Kane. I think the pressure to play prospects on ELC just to get value under the cap will continue for the Oilers and league wide. Probably not always the best in terms of their development, though.

I think it depends. If someone is way over their head - like Draisaitl, Puljujarvi and Bouchard at 18 - then a quick taste is fine, but it's probably counter-productive to keep them here for weeks or months where they're not going to play much and are missing out on big playing time elsewhere.

Giving Holloway a game or two and seeing how he looks isn't a problem to me - because if he struggles then he gets sent back and knows what he's up against to make the jump to the next level. It only becomes an issue if you keep him up and then don't play him, or if he's getting 3-4 shifts a game, and still putting up minuses.

Seeing a lineup with both Malone, Sceviour AND Shore in it just kills the soul. They aren't going to add enough to make them worthwhile additions. And if you can't play the bottom of your lineup, then we're right back to the same issue where McDavid and Draisaitl play too many minutes. Yes, injuries are a big factor right now - but man - if you're playing 11 forwards but 3 are basically AHL players? That's hard to stomach.

Re: Brad Malone recalled from Bakersfield [message #729257 is a reply to message #729247 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 14:25

Totally agree.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #56)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #56)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca