This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727346]
Mon, 14 January 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Buffalo to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2018-19 Regular Season
Monday, January 14, 2019Buffalo 2 @ Edmonton 7Win
Monday, March 4, 2019Edmonton 4 @ Buffalo 3Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 7/4 Total: 11
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/3 Total: 5

2017-18 Regular Season
Friday, November 24, 2017Edmonton 1 @ Buffalo 3Loss
Tuesday, January 23, 2018Buffalo 5 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 0/1 Total: 1
Home / Road Goals Against: 5/3 Total: 8

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727351 is a reply to message #727346 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

A big 9.5 out of 10 on the MUSTWINometer’s 46th spin this evening, after squandering 2 points while the OOT was in our favour Saturday night.

Here’s to the depth scoring showing up!

If whatever ailed McDavid yesterday keeps him out tonight... well... at least we wouldn’t be gifting 2 points to a Western team we’re chasing.

Have my own hockey game tonight so won’t be able to watch this one but Go Oilers!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727353 is a reply to message #727351 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

The Oilers have become a consistent negative for me.

I was having a great time on Saturday night, I just left a show and was looking forward to seeing the team firmly in the lead against a terrible team. Of course, when I got to the bar, they were down 2-3. That didn't ruin my night by any means, but it was a negative. I wish I hadn't paid attention to the game, because the night would have been perfect without that embarrassing loss. Turned an "A+" night into an "A" night, which is not a big deal - but who wants an A when you can have an A+? Who wants to support something that repeatedly and consistently brings you down a notch?

Rarely, does the team evoke happiness, joy, or hope. They are akin to a close cousin that is always screwing up, and hearing about him is little more than an annoying emotional drain. I would almost compare keeping up with the team to spending time with someone with a personality disorder. Always confused by what they're doing, always hoping for the best, seeing a glimmer, then resigning to disappointment with the realization that there is something terribly wrong with them, and that all the good will eventually be overshadowed and drown-out by some core badness, for which there is no sign in sight of being addressed and cured. Same painful disorder - what's the point?

Honestly, I feel sorry for Chiarelli. I'm sure a lot of his terrible performance is due to the current upper management in place.

I formally vote that "Fire Chia" not be a thing on Oil Fans, because he's not the problem, it's those above him who are. No one believes that firing Chiarelli is going to fix anything, so let's stop talking about it and promoting the idea.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 08:40]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727356 is a reply to message #727353 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 08:35

I was having a great time on Saturday night, I just left a show and was looking forward to seeing the team firmly in the lead against a terrible team. Of course, when I got to the bar, they were down 2-3. That didn't ruin my night by any means, but it was a negative. I wish I hadn't paid attention to the game, because the night would have been perfect without that embarrassing loss. Turned an "A+" night into an "A" night, which is not a big deal - but who wants an A when you can have an A+? Who wants to support something that repeatedly and consistently brings you down a notch?

Rarely, does the team evoke happiness, joy, or hope. They are akin to a close cousin that is always screwing up, and hearing about him is little more than an annoying emotional drain. I would almost compare keeping up with the team to spending time with someone with a personality disorder. Always confused by what they're doing, always hoping for the best, seeing a glimmer, then resigning to disappointment with the realization that there is something terribly wrong with them, and that all the good will eventually be overshadowed and drown-out by some core badness, for which there is no sign in sight of being addressed and cured. Same painful disorder - what's the point?

Honestly, I feel sorry for Chiarelli. I'm sure a lot of his terrible performance is due to the current upper management in place.

I formally vote that "Fire Chia" not be a thing on Oil Fans, because he's not the problem, it's those above him who are. No one believes that firing Chiarelli is going to fix anything, so let's stop talking about it and promoting the idea.

Fire everyone!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727357 is a reply to message #727356 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 09:00

Fire everyone!

except Joey Moss if he is still around (have there been any Joey sightings lately?)

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727358 is a reply to message #727357 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

After a poor effort against the very depleted Coyotes, the Oilers should in theory come out inspired because that is what they usually do but who knows anymore.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727359 is a reply to message #727357 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 09:04

Fire everyone!

except Joey Moss if he is still around (have there been any Joey sightings lately?)

At some point we have to ask what Joey is bringing to the table. He's not a young man anymore.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727361 is a reply to message #727359 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 09:11

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 09:04

Fire everyone!

At some point we have to ask what Joey is bringing to the table. He's not a young man anymore.

Maybe Joey doesn't wash Lucic's towels exactly how he likes it and that's what's thrown him off.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727360 is a reply to message #727353 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I think he's objectively bad in his own right, but that it doesn't help to be in the echo chamber with the Old Boys.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing - did the Oilers only get him because he's not good and didn't understand how working in this environment wouldn't make him better? Or did joining this team actively make him worse?

I do think firing Chia could help, because I think half the posters on this board could do as well as he has, and that's not saying much. There's always the possibility that the next hire could be someone better equipped to do the job and handle the Old Boys, so if I had an option of status quo versus fire Chia and replace only the GM? I'm still tilting towards the latter, even if I don't think it fully rectifies the issue.

I have had several friends - lifelong Oilers fans who grew up watching this team in the Glory Years - tell me the same thing you've said. They are more frustrated by the Oilers than anything, and don't enjoy watching them as they once did. I think if McDavid wasn't here, the building might be half empty now, because I don't think that's a unique sentiment. The team doesn't listen to anyone, they don't give back to the community, and they don't win. At some point, they become really tough to love.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727368 is a reply to message #727360 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

[quote title=Adam wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 09:13][quote title=Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 08:35]
Quote:

better equipped to do the job and handle the Old Boys

I think if Hitchcock stays for another season he could be the voice of reason to help alleviate this a bit. Hard for the OBC to not listen to him with the experience he has. As to the game, who knows. Buffalo is much improved this season so I don't hold out much hope that the Oilers can beat them if they are on their game.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727373 is a reply to message #727368 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

[quote title=overdue wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 10:43][quote title=Adam wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 09:13]

Quote:

better equipped to do the job and handle the Old Boys

I think if Hitchcock stays for another season he could be the voice of reason to help alleviate this a bit. Hard for the OBC to not listen to him with the experience he has. As to the game, who knows. Buffalo is much improved this season so I don't hold out much hope that the Oilers can beat them if they are on their game.

I don't think it's hard for the OBC to not listen to anyone.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727375 is a reply to message #727360 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Is there any chance at all that upper management hires someone that is more competent than MacT, Tambo, or Chia? Will they actually hire someone that will change things?

My doubts are vast that they can/will hire some better, abated only by the idea that doing a better job (than the past three GMs) is an intensely low bar.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727380 is a reply to message #727375 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 11:25

Is there any chance at all that upper management hires someone that is more competent than MacT, Tambo, or Chia? Will they actually hire someone that will change things?

My doubts are vast that they can/will hire some better, abated only by the idea that doing a better job (than the past three GMs) is an intensely low bar.

The evidence suggests they either don't want to do this or they can't do this.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727388 is a reply to message #727375 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 11:25

My point is that they can't do a lot worse.

It's like if your house is overrun by cockroaches. Sure, squashing a couple isn't going to fix the major problems, but you've got a couple less cockroaches to deal with at least.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727370 is a reply to message #727346 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

From Rishaug via twitter;

Draisaitl McDavid Rattie
Lucic RNH Chiasson
Spooner Brodziak Puljujarvi
Reider Khaira Kassian

Nurse Russell
Jones Larsson
Manning Benning

Koskinen

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727371 is a reply to message #727370 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 10:53

Draisaitl McDavid Rattie
Lucic RNH Chiasson
Reider Khaira Kassian

Nurse Russell
Jones Larsson
Manning Benning

Koskinen

Looooooooooooooch!

I would like a tracker on players to see where they go on the ice and how much time they spend coasting between the face off dots.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727399 is a reply to message #727371 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 10:59

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 10:53

Draisaitl McDavid Rattie
Lucic RNH Chiasson
Reider Khaira Kassian

Nurse Russell
Jones Larsson
Manning Benning

Koskinen

Looooooooooooooch!

I would like a tracker on players to see where they go on the ice and how much time they spend coasting between the face off dots.

If this is really the line combinations for tonight I'm completely dissapointed in Hitch.

Lucic should not be playing any where near the top two lines.

Why not try Spooner on line with RNH and Chaisson?

At least he can keep up with his hands of stone and one might go of his butt or leg, skate , somewhere.

Hmmm.....maybe not?

Who will finally score a goal tonight other than the usual suspects?

No prediction.

Will they show up or crap the bed? Who knows?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 12:27]

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727405 is a reply to message #727370 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

Manning Benning

Yikes! ( I'll just keep my eyes closed and plug my ears when they're on the ice.)

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727411 is a reply to message #727405 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 12:36

Quote:

Manning Benning

Yikes! ( I'll just keep my eyes closed and plug my ears when they're on the ice.)

No kidding. Maybe Manning having sat out and hopefully been working on his game can settle down and be serviceable. Benning is a complete mystery. He goes from good to bad shift to shift.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727412 is a reply to message #727346 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Welp, now I'm kinda hoping for losses so that hope with management can be completely lost and Chia won't make a trade.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727413 is a reply to message #727412 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:08

Welp, now I'm kinda hoping for losses so that hope with management can be completely lost and Chia won't make a trade.

Nah, I want to see Panicky Pete go full Panicky Pete. We've already paid in full for this show, let's watch it.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727414 is a reply to message #727413 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 15:09

Nah, I want to see Panicky Pete go full Panicky Pete. We've already paid in full for this show, let's watch it.

Exactly. All that is missing is the popcorn and that's easily remedied.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727415 is a reply to message #727414 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:13

I really don't want to see this team trashed more... Seen it way too many times for it to be fun. Chia has been going full Chia for over 3 years now. Downgrade after downgrade. Over the cap loaded with worthless players. This is it, the result of full Chia. Anything now is just pathetic shuffling trying to save his job, hoping something magic will happen like Spooner and Lucic will recreate their magic of 30 games 5 years ago.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727416 is a reply to message #727415 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:16

I really don't want to see this team trashed more... Seen it way too many times for it to be fun. Chia has been going full Chia for over 3 years now. Downgrade after downgrade. Over the cap loaded with worthless players. This is it, the result of full Chia. Anything now is just pathetic shuffling trying to save his job, hoping something magic will happen.

What's the alternative? Trusting Katz, Bobby Nicks, Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Gretzky, Messier, and an assorted allotment of brothers, cousins, uncles, daughters, and neighbors to fix the core issues in the organization? I've seen that plan play out 3 or 4 times too.

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727418 is a reply to message #727416 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:18

I really don't want to see this team trashed more... Seen it way too many times for it to be fun. Chia has been going full Chia for over 3 years now. Downgrade after downgrade. Over the cap loaded with worthless players. This is it, the result of full Chia. Anything now is just pathetic shuffling trying to save his job, hoping something magic will happen.

What's the alternative? Trusting Katz, Bobby Nicks, Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Gretzky, Messier, and an assorted allotment of brothers, cousins, uncles, daughters, and neighbors to fix the core issues in the organization? I've seen that plan play out 3 or 4 times too.

The only hope is that the OBC really does do nothing but get sh$tfaced every game and they are actually letting the POHO/GM have full control, AND they actually fluke out and hire a decent GM next time around.

That's it. The only thing we haven't seen yet :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #727419 is a reply to message #727418 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 14:21 Go to previous message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 15:20

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:18

The only hope is that the OBC really does do nothing but get sh$tfaced every game and they are actually letting the POHO/GM have full control, AND they actually fluke out and hire a decent GM next time around.

That's it. The only thing we haven't seen yet :)

So an in-season RWS?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:GDT: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Next Topic:Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca