This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724394]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Calgary to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724396 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I dunno if it's the goalie looking solid, or the players not looking like they are in full panic mode constantly, or both, but that was a lot easier to watch than a usual Oilers defending a lead finish.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724398 is a reply to message #724396 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:35

I dunno if it's the goalie looking solid, or the players not looking like they are in full panic mode constantly, or both, but that was a lot easier to watch than a usual Oilers defending a lead finish.

Interesting thing is that seemed like a fairly easy shutout...I don't remember too many times when he was really tested. The team played really solid defence tonight. Lots of strips on the backcheck. That Kassian one on Monahan was awesome.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724400 is a reply to message #724398 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:38

Interesting thing is that seemed like a fairly easy shutout...I don't remember too many times when he was really tested. The team played really solid defence tonight. Lots of strips on the backcheck. That Kassian one on Monahan was awesome.

Definitely needed more from those PP's. Hitch seems to have made that point clear, and obviously something to focus on.

Team definitely lost a lot of their intensity in the 3rd, but damn, the support around the net and the defensive pressure was on point still. That usually goes totally out the window with this group when the going gets tough.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724401 is a reply to message #724400 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Hitch Oilers playing far more consistent and structured. Way less panic. A lot more support from each other both during play and after whistles. I love it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724402 is a reply to message #724401 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:42

Hitch Oilers playing far more consistent and structured. Way less panic. A lot more support from each other both during play and after whistles. I love it.

One thing of note, Tkachuk was really running around like a donkey in the 3rd. He was trying really damn hard to try to get the Oilers chasing him again.

I wonder what this team would have done in this 3rd under McLellan.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724404 is a reply to message #724396 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Koskinen is doing a fine job, but he's not the most stylish netminder we've had. It's ugly but effective. Talking of ugly hello PP our old friend, what the heck was that about, we just seemed to forget how the handle the puck let alone control a zone.

That aside, a win's a win and we are defending so much better than previously, which gives us a platform to win tight one goal games. With the 3rd and 4th lines now having a much more defined role, and performing to it as they did tonight, we are able to look so much better than we have done for quite some time now.

Still some poor no calls, but the one that mattered counted in our favour with the goal being wiped off, so I'll excuse a couple of calls not going our way for that.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724397 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Another shutout in Rogers for Koskinen. That’s 3.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724399 is a reply to message #724397 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

The only bad thing about the game tonight was the PP being completely ineffective. Always good to beat the #%*}}{ Flames.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724410 is a reply to message #724397 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:35

Another shutout in Rogers for Koskinen. That’s 3.

Single season record is 8. He should break that by February eh?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724403 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Huge.

That's what a neutral zone trap looks like when you're locking it down. Thats what puck retrievals in your own zone looks like, for most of the game. I would rather have seen some more offence, but I think Hitch has assessed his D and this is the way to win hockey games. Oilers took away a lot of pucks in the neutral zone at times tonight.

Very nice night for Koskinen. Co-MVP in my books stepping in and delivering when they needed him. Hopefully Talbot can keep his recent play.

I'm giving this a MOGA.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724407 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oilers Win
Vegas Win
Ducks Win (Taylor Hall is such a frigging loser)

Oilers still in a tie for 3rd in Pacific/2nd Wildcard. Just gotta keep winning and maybe we can get some separation.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724408 is a reply to message #724407 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:58

Oilers Win
Vegas Win
Ducks Win (Taylor Hall is such a frigging loser)

Oilers still in a tie for 3rd in Pacific/2nd Wildcard. Just gotta keep winning and maybe we can get some separation.

hehe, Hall on the ice 2 GF, 1 GA.

Hall off the ice, 3 GF, 4 GA.

He's an Oiler again. I will be somewhat satisfied when he bails on NJ. I really don't see him staying long term on a budget team, spinning his wheels. At least don't have to see any more NJ fans cocky about the trade.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724409 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

MOGA!

Drai looked drunk out there. Keep it rolling into Colorado!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724411 is a reply to message #724409 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 22:17

MOGA!

Drai played 24:30 tonight. Vs McDavid's 21:30.

Hope Hitch knows what he's doing with Drai. He's been getting big minutes for that big body.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724418 is a reply to message #724411 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:27

MOGA!

Hope Hitch knows what he's doing with Drai. He's been getting big minutes for that big body.

If that's the case (I think Hitch had LD on the PK), then its showing in LD's energy level. He has a tendency to get the puck in the O-zone, then stops with the puck to look around for a pass, but while he does, he stops moving his feet and the Defense close in, forcing him into a bad pass, or cough-up. Needs to keep moving.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724419 is a reply to message #724418 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Been away awhile. Someone want to tell me what the hell MOGA is?

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724422 is a reply to message #724419 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 01:18

Make Oilers Great Again

I was the same as you and had to ask.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724424 is a reply to message #724422 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 08:05

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 01:18

Make Oilers Great Again

I was the same as you and had to ask.

The alternative slogan for this season was "the Oilers just aren't ready; great hair though."

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724420 is a reply to message #724418 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 00:13

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:27

MOGA!

If that's the case (I think Hitch had LD on the PK), then its showing in LD's energy level. He has a tendency to get the puck in the O-zone, then stops with the puck to look around for a pass, but while he does, he stops moving his feet and the Defense close in, forcing him into a bad pass, or cough-up. Needs to keep moving.

LD is so talented and yet he's probably the guy I yell at most watching a game. You see him just hauling ass on that breakout where Connor scored the goal, then you see possession on the RW 5x5 and on the PP where he just gets lazy with his feet, coasts, grinds to a near halt...painting himself into a corner. Then the cutiepie or blind prayer pass for a turnove...or sometime a great feed. The young man could be great, among the top half dozen forwards in the game because you can see that in him...you get glimpses. Sometimes he's really motivated on the backcheck and you see a beauty of a defensive play and an opportunity going the other way, but sometimes not so much.

I do think he loses his legs as the game goes on, you can see that forced stride when he's trying to get off at the end of a shift. I don't know if you need him on the PK. If someone can get into his mind and manage him properly, it's the difference between a star player who can finish with Connor and a superstar. I think some of these traits are what's keeping him from being a 2nd line center right now. He's young though and he can evolve. Hope he does.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724417 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

BIG FREAKING MOGA ! Yeah. BABY. Wave Towel weights

Solid game. Happy time. Hopefully this loss inspires the Cow-flames to hit the skids.
Gravel playing really well, working his way up the ladder. Lucic, Kassian, Brodziak work horses out there, playing smart and HARD, shift after shift. Great hit by Lucic on Hamonic. Makes me happy to see flames hitting the ice.
Zytkov looking like a player, quicker feet than I was expecting, plays smart, and works along the wall well. We'll see if he has a shot in the weeks to come.
Nuge is nuging it. McD is getting scarier every game, an unstoppable force. I think part of the problem now is that poor Leon isn't in good enough shape to keep up to the minutes McD can put out, LD seems to lag for stretches of the game.

Koskinen is playing unreal. Now 8-2-1, and a solid 0.928.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724442 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

One nothing for most of the game. Pretty tense at the end there but they pulled it off mainly thanks to Koskinen but also a solid defensive game by the entire team. I liked the way they kept their cool this time when the two flames sh... disturbers went to work to try to get them off their game and take a stupid pentalty or two. Bennet ends up in the box for running Koskinen so it backfired on them this time.( Not that our power play was dangerous ) Big win to keep us in the race. The team is learning to not get rattled in tight games which will go a long way if they make the playoffs. Hitchcock is putting certain players in a situation to gain confidence and get better. I like how he uses some of the 4th line guys on the second pp unit. This is team building.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724451 is a reply to message #724442 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

.....a great win in the Battle of Alberta....excellent goaltending, good defense, and I would say Hitchcock outcoached Peters....

...it helped the Oilers that Calgary was missing a few key players, especially Giordano, their captain and possible Norris candidate...also, Calgary was playing their third game in four nights...

...I thought the defense was very solid...even the third pairing of Gravel and Benning seems to be getting better each game....

...I actually liked the way the referees called the game...could have been a parade to the penalty box all night long, bit the zebras let them play...in a game like that ,it was a good way to handle things...

...good to see Puljujarvi contributing...he's going to be okay...

...frustrated a bit by Draisaitl...this is the guy who almost singlehandedly got Germany qualified for the Olympics and ended up playing about 100 energetic and high performance games that season....he does get the scoring chances, but sure muffs a lot of those golden opportunities McDavid gives him...

....got to get that power play going...I agree that just putting McDavid out there as much as possible isn't quite the answer...need some guys who shoot first,ask questions later...pretty passes are cute, but I hate cute...

.....any one seen Chiarelli lately???....

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724452 is a reply to message #724451 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 11:06

.....any one seen Chiarelli lately???....

If the team keeps rolling under Hitch, my money is on a Kevin Lowe appearance to talk about how he pushed the idea to make this coaching change :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724461 is a reply to message #724394 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Play of the game

https://i.imgur.com/bDACMHq.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724477 is a reply to message #724461 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 14:59 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 13:15

Play of the game

https://i.imgur.com/bDACMHq.jpg

Lol there were a couple good shots on the telecast of Jockey nearly in tears on the Calgary bench. Still a child.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #31)
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca