This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724296]
Fri, 07 December 2018 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Minnesota to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724298 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Not much negativity about that one. Wow.

Glass a little closer to being half full. Maybe.

MOGA!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724299 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Well, that was a pretty complete game. Minny tired, missing their top C, but that kinda stuff never stopped this team before from playing like ass, so, reasonable to be happy here :)

Talbot had some interesting moments, but the guy was battling hard. He wanted this win bad. Good for him. 3/3 for solid Talbot efforts under Hitch.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2018 22:01]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724300 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

A goal hungry bunch tonight.

Lucic came close. No scratch for Jesse though.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724305 is a reply to message #724300 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 07 December 2018 21:38

Lucic was a team low 10:55 in ice time tonight. He's now the 12th forward...wow. Only 4.5 more years of that deal...

Nice result tonight. McDavid reaches 40 points and ties one Mitchell Marner for fourth in league scoring...he technically wins the tie break too on the Marcel Dionne rule. Still 7 back of Rantanen, but like last year I doubt anyone else has the sheer consistency of McDavid through the full season.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724307 is a reply to message #724305 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 December 2018 22:11

g2k wrote on Fri, 07 December 2018 21:38

Lucic was a team low 10:55 in ice time tonight. He's now the 12th forward...wow. Only 4.5 more years of that deal...

Nice result tonight. McDavid reaches 40 points and ties one Mitchell Marner for fourth in league scoring...he technically wins the tie break too on the Marcel Dionne rule. Still 7 back of Rantanen, but like last year I doubt anyone else has the sheer consistency of McDavid through the full season.

But we didn't need Hall anymore because we had Lucic for the same money.

#fireChia

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724301 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

There was probably a seven-game stretch at some point vs. Minny where we didn't score 7 total goals.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724302 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Liked the 4th line, this Zykov has some good hands and foot speed.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724303 is a reply to message #724302 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 07 December 2018 22:02

Liked the 4th line, this Zykov has some good hands and foot speed.

Yeah, Zykov was much faster than expected. 4th line gave up nothing tonight, not even a shot against. They had 3 high danger chances themselves.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724308 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hitch throwing some shade McLellan's way?

question 45 seconds in, stars off his answer saying he has no idea what was happening before but, to summarize, the D were doing absolutely nothing useful for the team once we get the puck out of our end and needed a big push to get their butts in gear

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724309 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Too good to not share

Christa @EdmOilers19
Oh... my... god!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dt28WFAUwAA1XXG.jpg:large

Dreamy looking pretty Dreamy here.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724310 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Fri, 07 December 2018 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oilers now in a 4-way tie for 3rd in the Pacific/2nd Wildcard with SJ, VGK, MIN. Looks like it'll be a tight race the rest of the way.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724315 is a reply to message #724310 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Another 4 point night for McDavid, another 3 pointer for Leon and another Dube horror show. Somethings never change in Edmonton.

That goal by McDavid, was straight from NHL 19.

Loving Hitch's post match comments though, you can see he's slowly getting this team together. As much as Todd didn't do with them after making the play-offs, you can slowly see the confidence and belief creeping back into the roster.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724317 is a reply to message #724296 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

This was the full 60 minute game the coach has been trying to get out of them and the results speak for themselves. One of those games where almost everything goes right and the players get rewarded for their hard work. Talbot was really dialed in as was the rest of the team and bonus, the new guy looks like a player. Hopefully it will continue, Hitchcock doing a great job and getting a good effort even from the third pairing D and fourth line.( It's almost like he knows what he's doing.) They took advantage of the Wild's back to back and so they should have. Nice to see some goals scored and more than a one goal lead.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724319 is a reply to message #724317 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

overdue wrote on Sat, 08 December 2018 08:50

This was the full 60 minute game the coach has been trying to get out of them and the results speak for themselves. One of those games where almost everything goes right and the players get rewarded for their hard work. Talbot was really dialed in as was the rest of the team and bonus, the new guy looks like a player. Hopefully it will continue, Hitchcock doing a great job and getting a good effort even from the third pairing D and fourth line.( It's almost like he knows what he's doing.) They took advantage of the Wild's back to back and so they should have. Nice to see some goals scored and more than a one goal lead.

...for a while in the aftermath of the game last night, my main lingering question was why did Hitchcock keep on playing the big guns right to the end and not give a lot more ice time to the grinders (I wanted to see more of that fourth line)....but I think the strategy paid off...he has the team playing all out for 60 minutes -no letdowns, no excuses, no slacking off allowed....didn't have any of those demoralizing letdowns that have plagued the Oilers for years...the Oilers have so often given in to a wounded opponent playing their back ups, but Hitchcock was having none of that.......

...as much as I rag on Lucic the hockey player, I genuinely felt for him when he just missed scoring in the third period....wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, but might have given him thatpositive charge he needs to get his game going....great shot By Kassian...

....Klefbom is turning into the guy on defense that can give the Oilers 25 plus minutes if necessary....the rest of them remind me of Steve Staios - reliable for 20 minutes or so, but perilous to use more than that....I've long been a fan of Darnell Nurse, but he is starting to bring back memories for me of Marc-Andre Bergeron -lots of things happen when he is on the ice- some good, some not so good....

...playing Talbot last night was the right move, just as playing Koskinen in the upcoming game against the Flames is the right move....thought Talbot played pretty well in St. Louis earlier in the week, and even better at home last night...seems like the defense is regaining some confidence in him..Minnesota actually out shot the Oilers last night (well, only by one shot, but still...)...

...anyone seen Peter Chiarelli lately???

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724323 is a reply to message #724319 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 08 December 2018 09:27

...for a while in the aftermath of the game last night, my main lingering question was why did Hitchcock keep on playing the big guns right to the end and not give a lot more ice time to the grinders (I wanted to see more of that fourth line)....but I think the strategy paid off...he has the team playing all out for 60 minutes -no letdowns, no excuses, no slacking off allowed....didn't have any of those demoralizing letdowns that have plagued the Oilers for years...the Oilers have so often given in to a wounded opponent playing their back ups, but Hitchcock was having none of that.......

...as much as I rag on Lucic the hockey player, I genuinely felt for him when he just missed scoring in the third period....wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, but might have given him thatpositive charge he needs to get his game going....great shot By Kassian...

....Klefbom is turning into the guy on defense that can give the Oilers 25 plus minutes if necessary....the rest of them remind me of Steve Staios - reliable for 20 minutes or so, but perilous to use more than that....I've long been a fan of Darnell Nurse, but he is starting to bring back memories for me of Marc-Andre Bergeron -lots of things happen when he is on the ice- some good, some not so good....

...playing Talbot last night was the right move, just as playing Koskinen in the upcoming game against the Flames is the right move....thought Talbot played pretty well in St. Louis earlier in the week, and even better at home last night...seems like the defense is regaining some confidence in him..Minnesota actually out shot the Oilers last night (well, only by one shot, but still...)...

I do think that McLellan was so risk averse that if they were up by a goal or two, he was already calling off the dogs and trying to get the team to focus on simply defending. It had to be fun to have a coach who wants you to keep going all night.

The 80s Oilers loved scoring points and if they were rolling, they would try to put up as many goals as they could. I think you develop a better killer instinct if you keep going. If you put on the brakes every time you have a lead, you're asking for trouble...and we know that McLellan's teams were terrible at holding those leads too...

It is really welcome to see someone else behind the bench - even if Hitchcock wouldn't have been my first choice.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724326 is a reply to message #724319 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Before the game last night, Hitch described a team mentality that sounded oddly similar to the situation Todd Nelson walked into. Players all quiet, playing for themselves, all in the gutter any time something doesn't go their way or goes against them. Todd McLellan always seemed like a major bummer to me, guy was always reducing everything that went wrong to 1 guys mistake.

As Adam said too, McLellan seemed to encourage the belief that games need to be won quick and you can sit on any lead. That's another comment Hitch made, he could see players were very impatient and expected things to happen quickly for them, and when it didn't, they went into the dumps. ANd obviously if you are expecting quick, you are all gonna be sitting there waiting for McDavid's line to be the one to do it.

Still think this is at best a team floating in that 3rd in division/wildcard position. Don't think the talent is there to be considered a consistent contender. But, I think McLellan was well on his way to putting us in a lottery spot this year. You need a coach on this team that is working his butt off to try to make best use of every piece available. And not just in practice and preparing for games. Need to do it during every game as well, something McLellan was allergic to. Team isn't good enough for a coach looking for the elite guys that need no direction to quickly win games and then to go nuts about any mistakes anyone else on the team makes and throw them under the bus for losses.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 December 2018 14:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724327 is a reply to message #724326 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 08 December 2018 14:00

Before the game last night, Hitch described a team mentality that sounded oddly similar to the situation Todd Nelson walked into. Players all quiet, playing for themselves, all in the gutter any time something doesn't go their way or goes against them. Todd McLellan always seemed like a major bummer to me, guy was always reducing everything that went wrong to 1 guys mistake.

As Adam said too, McLellan seemed to encourage the belief that games need to be won quick and you can sit on any lead. That's another comment Hitch made, he could see players were very impatient and expected things to happen quickly for them, and when it didn't, they went into the dumps. ANd obviously if you are expecting quick, you are all gonna be sitting there waiting for McDavid's line to be the one to do it.

Still think this is at best a team floating in that 3rd in division/wildcard position. Don't think the talent is there to be considered a consistent contender. But, I think McLellan was well on his way to putting us in a lottery spot this year. You need a coach on this team that is working his butt off to try to make best use of every piece available. And not just in practice and preparing for games. Need to do it during every game as well, something McLellan was allergic to. Team isn't good enough for a coach looking for the elite guys that need no direction to quickly win games and then to go nuts about any mistakes anyone else on the team makes and throw them under the bus for losses.

I agree that Mclellan had way too short a rein on the players especially when they had a lead, even one goal. Hitch also said when they are on offence they have their head and can go for it, and he even said there are no fixed positions on offence and that he wants the D engage more offensively. Love it, that opens up the creativity. Defence is another story and that's what he is very good at coaching. Nice to see that even at his age and with his success and experience he is still learning too and adapting his coaching methods as the game changes. Pretty sure too that Todd wasn't much fun to play for and they soured on his stubborn my way or the highway message. I predict less stinkers.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #724329 is a reply to message #724327 ]
Sat, 08 December 2018 15:11 Go to previous message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Sat, 08 December 2018 14:29

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 08 December 2018 14:00

I agree that Mclellan had way too short a rein on the players especially when they had a lead, even one goal. Hitch also said when they are on offence they have their head and can go for it, and he even said there are no fixed positions on offence and that he wants the D engage more offensively. Love it, that opens up the creativity. Defence is another story and that's what he is very good at coaching. Nice to see that even at his age and with his success and experience he is still learning too and adapting his coaching methods as the game changes. Pretty sure too that Todd wasn't much fun to play for and they soured on his stubborn my way or the highway message. I predict less stinkers.

Yeah, really looks like Todd was the guy coaching like what Spector was trying to sell us Hitchcock was going to do. Hitchcock is talking about how confused he is at how conservative your D were playing? Wow, that's impressive Todd.

Another big shift with Hitch is how he actually seems to put effort into giving guys roles with a positive goal for how they can contribute. Lucic and Kassian looked like lost souls the last year+. He has those guys convinced if they are crashing and banging and playing high energy shifts, they are going to be like the identity of the team, and they can wear out defenders and inevitably be rewarded. Those 2 guys look reborn. He has the 4th line feeling like they are another 3rd line, and the better they play the more they will play. They're not just stuck as a 6 minute line, they all have an opportunity to make a difference. Love how he is talking up Nuge and trying to build up Nuge's confidence, and guys playing with Nuge, he wants them creating turnovers and being aggressive at all times.

I'm pretty sure under Todd the only job he gave non 1st liners is to not be screwups and be the ones that ruin the hard work of the McDavid line. ANd if you mess up, chances are you're gonna be mentioned in Todd's post game, so have fun with that you mistake making mess ups.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)
Next Topic:GDT: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #29)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca