F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722038]
Sun, 11 November 2018 11:19 Go to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

It's a Finnish source with some translated text below.

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/jesse-puljujarven-kohtel u-puhututtaa-edmontonissa-viilettanyt-leijona-hyokkaaja-ihme ttelee-tapoja-se-on-ihan-kasittamatonta/7159322#gs.VJuN8nI

Quote:

-They don't say anything or talk to you about why you're not playing. At least the Oilers never did. That's what annoyed me the most, Pakarinen said to MTV sport
-Coach never gives you a reason or reasons. You have to figure it out why you're sitting in the pressbox by yourself. Also in general the coach and GM talked to us very little. It's almost like they have some top secret information. I think it's unfathomable, Pakarinen continued.
-Communication should be more open, like it is in Europe. Here it goes like it should. In the NHL it feels like the coach is one great ego. Of course the coach will talk to the players about random things, but never about anything personal or things related to your own game.

There is definitely a pattern. Auvitu said similar things. Joe Thornton said this before McLellan was fired:

Quote:

Todd has to talk to his family. Maybe he should talk to this family as well in here.

One day I want to make a list of every damning thing a former player/coach has said about the organization since 2006. It's a long list. Off the top of my head there is Ryan Jones, Devan Dubnyk, Eric Belanger, Tom Renney, Sheldon Souray, Ryan Whitney, Ladislav Smid, Patrick O'Sullivan, Auvitu, now Pakarinen...I am sure there is more. Clearly there is still a big culture problem here.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722039 is a reply to message #722038 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Brutal. Coaching is just as much managing personalities as it is developing game strategy. One would think intrapersonal skills would be a prerequisite for the job. McLellan is living on borrowed time.

This all being said. The athletes are for the most part are grown men. If you are in the press box you should have an inkling why. If you want back on the ice and you don’t feel like you’re getting guidance then take some initiative and go to the coaching staff yourself.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722045 is a reply to message #722039 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

It's interesting to keep hearing this. Sitting or cutting players is probably the least pleasant part of the job but obviously needs to be done. I imagine good coaches develop a way of letting players down easy and giving them hope that they'll be back in the line up soon. Another option is to just ignore the situation entirely and claim it's up to the player to figure it out I suppose.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722051 is a reply to message #722039 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 11 November 2018 11:34

Brutal. Coaching is just as much managing personalities as it is developing game strategy. One would think intrapersonal skills would be a prerequisite for the job. McLellan is living on borrowed time.

This all being said. The athletes are for the most part are grown men. If you are in the press box you should have an inkling why. If you want back on the ice and you don’t feel like you’re getting guidance then take some initiative and go to the coaching staff yourself.

Taylor Hall called that problem out in his big NJ interview last year - discussing his performance and requirements with the coach and GM down there was a new experience for him...never happened in Edmonton.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722047 is a reply to message #722038 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

THe usual with this HC. He does practice, and if you don't learn all you need from that, too bad. Even if Pulju spoke perfect english he probably would have barely heard a word from McLellan at this point. McLellan probably talks to his players through the media more than he does 1 on 1, and that's just to toss them under the bus.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722055 is a reply to message #722047 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Don't forget Pronger, Krueger, Yak and Larionov.

I'll play devils advocate: How come Smytty, Weight, Guerin, Larauque, Staios and all the 80's boys said they were treated very well here?

Is it all because they were with the pre-Katz Sather Oilers??

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722107 is a reply to message #722038 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So, maybe the reason that it took a year and a half to get Puljujarvi an English tutor is that no one had actually had a conversation with him until then?

No one should be surprised to hear this now. That's several players who've said the same thing. It's not very common for NHL players to slag former organizations - and yet it happens to the Oilers over and over. If that doesn't convince you that the team's culture is horrendous, I don't know what will.

We can only hope that McLellan is closing in on the end of his rope here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722117 is a reply to message #722107 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 11:36

So, maybe the reason that it took a year and a half to get Puljujarvi an English tutor is that no one had actually had a conversation with him until then?

No one should be surprised to hear this now. That's several players who've said the same thing. It's not very common for NHL players to slag former organizations - and yet it happens to the Oilers over and over. If that doesn't convince you that the team's culture is horrendous, I don't know what will.

But will that change anything?

I want Katz to wake up one day and say GTFO to the whole group. I don’t know if that will fix things, but the roster has been turned over 10 times, coaches changed 5 or 6 times, some 1st overall picks and a generational superstar, and STILL the results don’t come. Everything else has changed, except that. What’s the worst that could happen? We lose games and miss the playoffs? Oh the horror

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722119 is a reply to message #722117 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 14:05

I want Katz to wake up one day and say GTFO to the whole group. I don’t know if that will fix things, but the roster has been turned over 10 times, coaches changed 5 or 6 times, some 1st overall picks and a generational superstar, and STILL the results don’t come. Everything else has changed, except that. What’s the worst that could happen? We lose games and miss the playoffs? Oh the horror

Hear hear. At least our scouting and minor league system actually seems to exist now. That's about the only positive though.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722120 is a reply to message #722117 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 11:05

It should be clear to everyone that the whole organization is rotten at its core, and the only way out is to completely clean house on the management. However, Katz is not everyone, and I think his relationship with his old hockey heroes from the 1980s is more important to him than success on the ice with the team now...especially since they still sell tickets and make money. The entertainment group gets concert revenue too, so he can still happily raise banners for important events like a bunch of Garth Brooks concerts! Maybe Mess and Gretz will even go with him to a couple of those shows!!!

Anyhow, it's unlikely the team will do what should be done, so we may have to settle for them making a less radical change. I think that there's clearly coaching issues with McLellan. He cost the Sharks their window to win, and he's set on doing that here in Edmonton too...he's got to go. Hopefully Chia goes with him, but I would bet on the Oilers changing the coach first...and most likely hiring one of the assistants, instead of spending big money luring Quenneville in...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722134 is a reply to message #722120 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 11:42

Mike wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 11:05

It should be clear to everyone that the whole organization is rotten at its core, and the only way out is to completely clean house on the management. However, Katz is not everyone, and I think his relationship with his old hockey heroes from the 1980s is more important to him than success on the ice with the team now...especially since they still sell tickets and make money. The entertainment group gets concert revenue too, so he can still happily raise banners for important events like a bunch of Garth Brooks concerts! Maybe Mess and Gretz will even go with him to a couple of those shows!!!

Anyhow, it's unlikely the team will do what should be done, so we may have to settle for them making a less radical change. I think that there's clearly coaching issues with McLellan. He cost the Sharks their window to win, and he's set on doing that here in Edmonton too...he's got to go. Hopefully Chia goes with him, but I would bet on the Oilers changing the coach first...and most likely hiring one of the assistants, instead of spending big money luring Quenneville in...

I've pretty much lost any hope of Katzie getting rid of his human hockey cards of the 80's.

This is nothing what I expected when we all got the "great news" that a local mogul with some cash bought the local hockey club.

This city needs a statue of Cal Nichols. He's been the only saviour the past 20 years.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722152 is a reply to message #722120 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

. " However, Katz is not everyone, and I think his relationship with his old hockey heroes from the 1980s is more important to him than success on the ice with the team now...especially since they still sell tickets and make money."

Only in Canada, fans loving their hockey and being loyal in spite of ownership issues and a team that loses more than it wins year after year with no real incentive to build a winner. Similarities to the Harold Ballard era in Toronto.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722133 is a reply to message #722038 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If Pujujarvi would have spent the last 2 seasons honing his craft in the AHL, gaining confidence and experience, I wonder what kind of player he would have been in 2018/19?

I'm guessing a regular spot on the Oilers roster in the top 6 helping this team into the playoffs.

Freakin Clown show...

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722135 is a reply to message #722133 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 14:35

If Pujujarvi would have spent the last 2 seasons honing his craft in the AHL, gaining confidence and experience, I wonder what kind of player he would have been in 2018/19?

I'm guessing a regular spot on the Oilers roster in the top 6 helping this team into the playoffs.

Freakin Clown show...

I heard Stauffer saying today that:

A) Puljujarvi lived on his own since the age of 13!!! Did not say why that was the case.
B) He got little support from the Oilers when he got here and was rushed in to the lineup
C) He was disheartened by his demotion in his rookie year, and the Oilers didn't help him with that adjustment either
D) He was disappointed to be healthy scratched for the first game he played against Laine
E) That the team had greater than usual responsibility for the failure to develop Puljujarvi so far.

Damning when even the team propagandist is blaming the organization...

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722136 is a reply to message #722135 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 14:40

Freakin Clown show...

A) Puljujarvi lived on his own since the age of 13!!! Did not say why that was the case.
B) He got little support from the Oilers when he got here and was rushed in to the lineup
C) He was disheartened by his demotion in his rookie year, and the Oilers didn't help him with that adjustment either
D) He was disappointed to be healthy scratched for the first game he played against Laine
E) That the team had greater than usual responsibility for the failure to develop Puljujarvi so far.

uhm.....Stauffer actually said this? Live? Over the airwaves?

Is he having a stroke? Has he found a new job?

....I always miss cool things...

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722140 is a reply to message #722136 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 14:42

Freakin Clown show...

uhm.....Stauffer actually said this? Live? Over the airwaves?

Is he having a stroke? Has he found a new job?

....I always miss cool things...

It was softer the way he put it in my summary, but yes - for example, I think he said that with player/organization on development fails, it's usually 75/25 on the player, but in this case he thinks it's a higher than normal.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722146 is a reply to message #722135 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Freakin Clown show...

Saw stories about the moving away thing before. He is from a very small town. Side note, it's actually mandatory for kids there to learn English, but small towns sometimes don't give a crap about that kinda stuff. He obviously never learned English in school growing up. I just compare that to AB small towns, kids I met in university admitted they were basically allowed to take diplomas with open books, leading to nice 95%+ marks for scholarships. Those guys usually flunked out in university though haha.

Anyways, he moved away from home to play hockey in the bigger city. Was living with a bunch of other boys, and I think some of the parents would come and help out to make sure the kids didn't all starve to death :) But yeah, he was living a pretty free existence from a very young age.

Oh, and this org is terrible.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722147 is a reply to message #722038 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Personally I couldn't give a crap what disgruntled fringe players have to say about their former teams, case in point Belanger, useless waste-ass, taking parting shots when his failure was his own lack of skill, IQ, and effort.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722153 is a reply to message #722147 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 17:55

Personally I couldn't give a crap what disgruntled fringe players have to say about their former teams, case in point Belanger, useless waste-ass, taking parting shots when his failure was his own lack of skill, IQ, and effort.

The thing is, it is really out of character for hockey players to bash their former team. It almost never happens. And yet, with the Oilers, it happens again and again and again. If Pakarinen was the only guy who ever suggested that there were communication issues with McLellan, you could maybe put it off as simply sour grapes. But you've got Auvitu saying almost exactly the same thing, you've got Hall saying that Hynes talking to him one on one about responsibilities and role was something altogether new to him, and you even have Joe Thornton making a comment about McLellan's lack of communication while with the Sharks...

You're not seeing any developing players taking big strides under McLellan other than the superstars who figure it out on their own due to ample skill (and being the only players on the team who the coach permits to take any risks). That makes sense if there's very little being communicated in the way of instruction or correction. I wonder if Todd doesn't just expect his players are going to pull up the post-game interview on the website to get the skinny on what he thinks they did wrong...

It's time to move on from this coach.

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722154 is a reply to message #722153 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Meanwhile, here's Mark Hunter on Lou Lamoriello and communication:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/mark-hunter-on-maple-le afs-nylander-stalemate-‘spring-was-the-time’/ar-BBPD182? ocid=spartandhp

Quote:

“Everybody thinks Lou just stands back. He’s constantly talking to players, guys. He’s even texting the players. I sat beside a 75-year-old guy who’s involved in texting back and forth with young men. It’s impressive.
“I’m sure Duby and Babber [Dubas and coach Mike Babcock] have that same level. Lou and Babber talked constantly. Lou — anybody who says he doesn’t communicate? Well, he does. He really does. You’d be surprised.”

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722155 is a reply to message #722154 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 21:46

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/mark-hunter-on-maple-le afs-nylander-stalemate-‘spring-was-the-time’/ar-BBPD182? ocid=spartandhp

Quote:

“Everybody thinks Lou just stands back. He’s constantly talking to players, guys. He’s even texting the players. I sat beside a 75-year-old guy who’s involved in texting back and forth with young men. It’s impressive.
“I’m sure Duby and Babber [Dubas and coach Mike Babcock] have that same level. Lou and Babber talked constantly. Lou — anybody who says he doesn’t communicate? Well, he does. He really does. You’d be surprised.”

Most good coaches/management have open dialog with players now. Especially now that there is so much information and technical analysis available that is accessible for everyone. It's not just gut feelings and hunches anymore, there is so much data teams can draw on now to get the big picture of what is and isn't working with the team and individuals.

All this talk before about Hall finally listening to coaches. That wasn't just Hall submitting to his masters, that happened because Hynes is an open book and wants constant feedback from his players, and he's smart, and he is innovative. Hall's interest was piqued, and he bought in because he is finally in a competent org that values his input and has more to offer to him than dump and chase or shooting from anywhere for corsi's. That simply doesn't exist in Edmonton. We have a bunch of old school farts that think their gut feelings and hunches are the ultimate solution to every problem, and the players just need to shut up and do what they're told.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ex-Oiler Liro Pakarinen Comments on Organization [message #722160 is a reply to message #722155 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 00:24 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 21:54

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 21:46

Quote:

Most good coaches/management have open dialog with players now. Especially now that there is so much information and technical analysis available that is accessible for everyone. It's not just gut feelings and hunches anymore, there is so much data teams can draw on now to get the big picture of what is and isn't working with the team and individuals.

All this talk before about Hall finally listening to coaches. That wasn't just Hall submitting to his masters, that happened because Hynes is an open book and wants constant feedback from his players, and he's smart, and he is innovative. Hall's interest was piqued, and he bought in because he is finally in a competent org that values his input and has more to offer to him than dump and chase or shooting from anywhere for corsi's. That simply doesn't exist in Edmonton. We have a bunch of old school farts that think their gut feelings and hunches are the ultimate solution to every problem, and the players just need to shut up and do what they're told.

That's just it. We always heard that Hall was a student of the game, that he read up on advanced stats, that he watched old games...so why was it a surprise that a coach actually sat down and talked to him about his game???

One expects that the only time anyone talked to him here was when they were telling him that as a leader, he needed to go and give that Eakins vote of confidence - ie. the Stockholm Syndrome video...

Previous Topic:Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:GDT: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca