This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721748]
Mon, 05 November 2018 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Washington to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721755 is a reply to message #721748 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Road streak over.

Stupid old-style Oilers coverage errors and coming up short on stops cost this game. One less error and one more stop and this might have generated a point at least.

4th line's first period was garbage. If this wasn't B2B games, they probably shouldn't have played much after the 1st.

Talbot needs to improve his play significantly. Can't let every mistake in. Had a big save on a breakaway, but he'd let 4 in already.

Coverage...Nuge's guy (I think it was his guy) scored the 3rd goal I believe, but he had a strong night otherwise at both ends of the rink. Needed more though, from him and everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721757 is a reply to message #721755 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 19:44

Road streak over.

Stupid old-style Oilers coverage errors and coming up short on stops cost this game. One less error and one more stop and this might have generated a point at least.

4th line's first period was garbage. If this wasn't B2B games, they probably shouldn't have played much after the 1st.

Talbot needs to improve his play significantly. Can't let every mistake in. Had a big save on a breakaway, but he'd let 4 in already.

Coverage...Nuge's guy (I think it was his guy) scored the 3rd goal I believe, but he had a strong night otherwise at both ends of the rink. Needed more though, from him and everyone.

Bummer that Talbot isn't having the bounce back season we hoped for. Just can't keep having to play zero mistake hockey to make up for your goalie never being able to make a tough save.

And this team is just so in their head against backups still, acting like they're playing against prime Hasek. How do you break that? So dumb.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721756 is a reply to message #721748 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Not a terrible effort - lots of push in the third.

McDavid doesn't seem to have his usual jump. I'm still suspicious about that flu bug and how bad the team is currently hit. Back to bigger time on ice again, but he just didn't seem to have the extra gear in the third.

Fourth line gets victimized for a couple goals against...the Brodziak deal isn't that expensive, but it's two years...he's been disappointing most of this season.

Nuge quietly putting together a pretty solid start to this season. 16 points now - ties him for 20th in the league (with a bunch of guys).

Ultimately, can't win them all. Can't get too low on this one. At least Lucic is off PP1!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721758 is a reply to message #721756 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 19:47

Not a terrible effort - lots of push in the third.

McDavid doesn't seem to have his usual jump. I'm still suspicious about that flu bug and how bad the team is currently hit. Back to bigger time on ice again, but he just didn't seem to have the extra gear in the third.

Fourth line gets victimized for a couple goals against...the Brodziak deal isn't that expensive, but it's two years...he's been disappointing most of this season.

Nuge quietly putting together a pretty solid start to this season. 16 points now - ties him for 20th in the league (with a bunch of guys).

Ultimately, can't win them all. Can't get too low on this one. At least Lucic is off PP1!

Powerplay scored, so there!

Larsson has more points than Lucic now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721764 is a reply to message #721758 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Looch is so, so, so done. Such a boat anchor out there now.

Lots of try, however the game has passed him by.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721774 is a reply to message #721764 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

Sent to me by a friend, and the info is about a week old (sent on Halloween):

Lucic has been on the ice for 52.6% of our goals against. The Oilers are 2-5 when Lucic plays more than 16 minutes and 4-0 when he plays less than 16 minutes.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721763 is a reply to message #721748 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Fun stats

ES points since Jan 1, 2018:

McDavid: 65
Larsson: 14 (think nhl.com is missing his 1 tonight)
Klefbom: 13
Strome: 13
Khaira: 10
Russell: 10
Pulju: 9
Slepeshev: 9
Kassian: 9

Lucic: 8

ANd Lucic got 2 months with McDavid. No other forward on that list got more than partial line change time with him over that time.

I can see clearly why Lucic stuck his nose up at getting a skills coach last year in an interview with Gregor (I think). TOo many voices in his head he says. Yes, I can see what a shock that would be, going from 0 voices to 1. Infinite increase.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 November 2018 20:08]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721767 is a reply to message #721763 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 20:06

Fun stats

ES points since Jan 1, 2018:

McDavid: 65
Larsson: 14 (think nhl.com is missing his 1 tonight)
Klefbom: 13
Strome: 13
Khaira: 10
Russell: 10
Pulju: 9
Slepeshev: 9
Kassian: 9

Lucic: 8

ANd Lucic got 2 months with McDavid. No other forward on that list got more than partial line change time with him over that time.

I can see clearly why Lucic stuck his nose up at getting a skills coach last year in an interview with Gregor (I think). TOo many voices in his head he says. Yes, I can see what a shock that would be, going from 0 voices to 1. Infinite increase.

We knew when Slepeshev left Lucic would eventually catch his points totals. Might happen next game!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721768 is a reply to message #721763 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I actually thought Lucic had a pretty good game all things considered. He is what he is but at least he was making some good passes and better decisions with the puck. He works hard, it's just that the game really seems to have passed him by. Big gamble by Chiarelli to pay him that much for that long at his age.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721769 is a reply to message #721768 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 21:06

I actually thought Lucic had a pretty good game all things considered. He is what he is but at least he was making some good passes and better decisions with the puck. He works hard, it's just that the game really seems to have passed him by. Big gamble by Chiarelli to pay him that much for that long at his age.

I imagine he had 0 dissenting voices in the org when he proposed picking up Lucic. MacT, Lowe and the gang had a hard-on for Lucic many years before Chia came to town. If MacT had his way, we would still have a David Clarkson contract on our books.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 November 2018 21:22]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721772 is a reply to message #721769 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

I have been waiting for more than 10 years to see the Oilers fight like they did in the third period. If anything is making me believe in this team, it’s that 3rd period effort.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721783 is a reply to message #721772 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Sort of figured they would lose. McDavid I agree doesn't have the same jump and hasn't for several games. He must be sick. This happened to him last year. After your back up posts 2 wins in a row, one was a shut out, the other a pretty good effort, I expected Talbot would have been better. While he wasn't terrible, I didn't think he was that good. 4th line got crushed, Khaira especially bad. The Lucic - Strome combo continues to look decent together except they can't ever score. More good chances, zero's on the board. Puljujarvi was not terrible but he just doesn't do anything. They lost so the time has come to change the line up, get Rattie back in and send Puljujarvi down. He's just not ready yet. Let him develop. I thought Klefbom-Larsson weren't that good tonight. Nurse was better. Russell continues to be good.

I liked seeing that they finally changed the #1 PP unit and put Chiasson in Lucic's spot. The next change is Klefbom. I know he had a bad shoulder but does he ever hit the net? One question I have is where did this notion come from that Larsson can't put up points or be on the PP? I know he's supposed to be no offensive but he sure seems to make a lot of nice passes, especially this year. He's a right shot and he seems to get his shot through and on net. He made a great pass/shot to Leon for that tip. Maybe Klefbom has a slightly better shot but what good is it if it NEVER hits the net. I would much rather have a decent shot that actually gets through and is hitting the net so you can tip it or get a rebound vs a bomb that gets blocked or goes 15 ft wide.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721787 is a reply to message #721783 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 November 2018 08:29

Puljujarvi was not terrible but he just doesn't do anything. They lost so the time has come to change the line up, get Rattie back in and send Puljujarvi down. He's just not ready yet. Let him develop.

I liked seeing that they finally changed the #1 PP unit and put Chiasson in Lucic's spot. The next change is Klefbom.

I saw a lot from Puljujarvi yesterday, despite getting stuck within the vortex where offence goes to die. Good back-checks, good stick, worked hard. Only played 11 minutes again last night, with not a sniff on the PP (despite the fact that the second unit still looks pretty atrocious.)

As for Klefbom, he does pass well with McDavid, but it's really not ideal having no one-time option there. He's got to set before shooting which allows defenders to ready themselves - it makes it much less effective. He is taking markedly more shots on goal than any other Oilers blue-liner though. I don't think there's anyone in the current lineup who displaces him. Larsson hasn't shown much to suggest he'd be a PP option. It's possible I guess that he's being passed over because he's been pigeon-holed as a defence first guy, but it's more likely this far in to his career that he really doesn't bring a lot of offence to the table.

He gets a lot of ice time with McDavid at 5v5 and only has 16 shots in 14 games this year. I don't think he would be an upgrade.

Now, if Bear comes up - maybe you have someone who's an option at some point...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721792 is a reply to message #721787 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 November 2018 08:44

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 November 2018 08:29

Puljujarvi was not terrible but he just doesn't do anything. They lost so the time has come to change the line up, get Rattie back in and send Puljujarvi down. He's just not ready yet. Let him develop.

I liked seeing that they finally changed the #1 PP unit and put Chiasson in Lucic's spot. The next change is Klefbom.

I saw a lot from Puljujarvi yesterday, despite getting stuck within the vortex where offence goes to die. Good back-checks, good stick, worked hard. Only played 11 minutes again last night, with not a sniff on the PP (despite the fact that the second unit still looks pretty atrocious.)

As for Klefbom, he does pass well with McDavid, but it's really not ideal having no one-time option there. He's got to set before shooting which allows defenders to ready themselves - it makes it much less effective. He is taking markedly more shots on goal than any other Oilers blue-liner though. I don't think there's anyone in the current lineup who displaces him. Larsson hasn't shown much to suggest he'd be a PP option. It's possible I guess that he's being passed over because he's been pigeon-holed as a defence first guy, but it's more likely this far in to his career that he really doesn't bring a lot of offence to the table.

He gets a lot of ice time with McDavid at 5v5 and only has 16 shots in 14 games this year. I don't think he would be an upgrade.

Now, if Bear comes up - maybe you have someone who's an option at some point...

I understand that Larsson hasn't shown anything that says he can be on a PP but at the same time he's never given any offensive chances. He's ALWAYS defense first. I am not meaning to bash Klefbom but as you said he's not a one time option because he is another lefty and as you said, he does take a long time to get the shot off. It's great he can really fire it but with that big wind up, lots of times its either blocked or goes wide. Would it be great to blow one by a goalie, sure but in reality they just need to get the puck through on net. Keep it low for a rebound or a tip.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721804 is a reply to message #721787 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b_1_b  is currently offline b_1_b

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 November 2018 09:44

I have to agree on this point. I watched JP as often as is possible on tv and he appears to be doing the things this coach has been asking for...besides the obvious scoring part. He kept going to the front of the net "hard areas" when he wasn't supporting his line-mates on the cycle. TOI and line mates are probably having a huge impact on the point production. That being said, I think that Yamo should be in Bakersfield before he is. It will be interesting to see what happens with Drake once Rattie is back and whether Chiasson can continue his point production on the 2nd line.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721811 is a reply to message #721783 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I wouldn't mind them changing it up a bit on the pp and trying someone in Klefboms place although he has done a decent job. The guy makes some real bone headed plays in his own end at times and I think it's simply because he is getting too many minutes and gets tired. Maybe they could split up pp time with him and Larsson so he can catch a breather during the game. He's no Pronger and yet he's logging a lot of heavy ice time.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721812 is a reply to message #721811 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 06 November 2018 13:07

I wouldn't mind them changing it up a bit on the pp and trying someone in Klefboms place although he has done a decent job. The guy makes some real bone headed plays in his own end at times and I think it's simply because he is getting too many minutes and gets tired. Maybe they could split up pp time with him and Larsson so he can catch a breather during the game. He's no Pronger and yet he's logging a lot of heavy ice time.

I don't even care if the shot that comes from the point is a bomb or not, I just want to see it get through so you can do something with it. Seeing Klefbom wind up for that big slapper only to have it go off a shin pad or slam into the glass or boards wide of the goal doesn't do a damn bit of good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721813 is a reply to message #721812 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

What about Nurse on the PP? Wonder why that is never brought up as an option. Fast skater, decent passer, could probably get some shots through, shown some decent offensive instincts at times, ran the PP in junior.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721814 is a reply to message #721813 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 13:45 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 06 November 2018 13:42

What about Nurse on the PP? Wonder why that is never brought up as an option. Fast skater, decent passer, could probably get some shots through, shown some decent offensive instincts at times, ran the PP in junior.

Not a good shot from Nurse, and his passing isn't very good either. He's a great skater and carries pucks well, but he needs serious work with distributing the puck - both shots and passes - before he's a legitimate option on a PP.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14) [message #721798 is a reply to message #721748 ]
Tue, 06 November 2018 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I don't know, I just thought the team was due for a loss of that type. They aren't the team of last year where they would skate around listlessly.

I thought the 4th line was especially shoddy, if you want to play you need to play.. so many positions lacked gap coverage all over the place allowing for slot shots. Seemed to me a lot of detail was missed.

McDavid is sick, I'm sure of it, he's gutting it out and making points but that horse is sick. We need to get tiger blood into him stat!

I think what we see with Lucic is what we will get, a guy that tries really hard but lack the detail in his game to create offensive chances. He just doesn't have it, but let him skate and hit bodies and now he's a 3rd line winger. 6M cap hit for 34 years.. yay.. I *may* be exaggerating on the term.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #15)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca