This day on November 14
None

Happy Birthday To: Taylor Hall, Blue Bullet, NetBOG

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721511]
Thu, 01 November 2018 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   86%
Chicago to win:   14%
43 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721513 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Chia and TMac are preparing that plate of roast crow for all of the naysayers, and I plan on eating a plateful when it's ready. Koskinen was lights-out tonight, and Cags showed everyone why he was moved up to the 1st line, while Chiasson just continues to provide value for the buck on his signing.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721514 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Koskinen saved the day. Probably 4 or 5 amazing saves when we were up 1-0.

Nice to see lots more non-McDAvid involved goals. Caggiula gave his all, he wants to keep that 1st line spot clearly. Chaisson is playing like he belongs in a top 6 right now. Hope he keeps it up. Funny stats on either side of Drai. Rieder, 0G 7A. Chaisson, 5G 0A.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 November 2018 21:45]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721515 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

This Crow tastes like Chicken!

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721516 is a reply to message #721515 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 20:41

We should rename the review thread to "the Koskinen apology thread." Good to be here!

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721517 is a reply to message #721516 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 21:43

We should rename the review thread to "the Koskinen apology thread." Good to be here!

Yeah, but ultimately, it will have to be a "Chia apology thread", even if you may find that hard to stomach.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721519 is a reply to message #721517 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 21:45

Yeah, but ultimately, it will have to be a "Chia apology thread", even if you may find that hard to stomach.

If you examine the Chiarelli ledger of moves as Oilers GM, I don't think it's time for a 'Chia apology thread' just yet. It takes a lot to balance out the whoppers.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721532 is a reply to message #721519 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 21:11

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 21:45

If you examine the Chiarelli ledger of moves as Oilers GM, I don't think it's time for a 'Chia apology thread' just yet. It takes a lot to balance out the whoppers.

Chia will need two solid years of some of the best wheeling and dealing the NHL has ever seen to even out that ledger.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721563 is a reply to message #721532 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 23:55

Chia will need two solid years of some of the best wheeling and dealing the NHL has ever seen to even out that ledger.

I'll take a nice deep playoff run over wheeling and dealing.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721518 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well, that was a pretty good answer to the special teams debacle against Minnesota, I've gotta say. In my 'astute' as always commentary in the MIN review thread, I was looking to see the response next game. Good response.

So this is what it's like to have a backup goalie playing well enough to be trustworthy. Given his preseason, did NOT see these 2 great starts coming from the backup. Goalie win for Koskinen, and a shutout. Had to have been around 40 shots, lots were perimeter, but some big, big stops as well, notably on Toews on a SH breakaway.

Answers from individual players as well. Caggiula with one on the top line 5x5 plus a shorty, after some deserved vilification. If there's 3 guys on the top line that can be dangerous and one of them doesn't have to be LD, that's outstanding. The question is whether Caggiula can play smart and have some consistency in contributing. With Yams on RW it was a 2 man show, tonight they were all in on it. The LD line was prominent as well, some chemistry there. Leon in particular shook off a couple trademark mystifying turnover passes early and led his line to a nice evening. Garrison comes in and scores on the PP, I didn't even hear his name prior to that goal, and that's probably a good thing.

I don't know what Strome did in the offseason to get the karma he's getting, but he's somehow unable to cash his chances, led the team in SOG this game. I'd like to see that change. Strome's the underdog on the team that I'm pulling for.

McDavid with a point on a night where others were more prominent in the win, and he gets a manageable 20 minutes of play. He'll take it in spades, but I'm predicting a big game for him against Detroit.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721523 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Peter Chiarelli @FakeOilersGM
When Koskinen asked for an $1.8M salary and I gave him $2.5M instead, he told me I was crazy. WHO'S CRAZY NOW MIKKO??

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721524 is a reply to message #721523 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 22:24

Peter Chiarelli @FakeOilersGM
When Koskinen asked for an $1.8M salary and I gave him $2.5M instead, he told me I was crazy. WHO'S CRAZY NOW MIKKO??

That's gold Jerry.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721525 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Scored some free seats. The one thing I like about going to the rink is isolating on players. Pujujarvi is much more defensively aware than I thought. Head on a swivel. Timely lifting of sticks, getting in the way, using his speed to bust up plays.

I left the building wondering WTH? Is this a one off tonight, or is there actually a true bias against him from the coach. Kids is much more aware than I figured. At least tonight he was.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721526 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Koskenin first star all the way. Very poised and solid, calm looking and always square to the puck. It could have been a very different game with a mediocre goal tending performance. Chaison has been very good too, goals aside. Looked like Jesse P screened the goalie on the Garrison goal. Hope he can get some offence going with more ice time.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721527 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Clearly there is nothing wrong with this team. We are playoff bound and we want the CUP!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721529 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

MOGA

Oh YEAH !!!

Good game!
Never saw this coming.. but that Koskinen guy is a pretty good goaltender! He actually kept them in it, so many stupid turnovers, holy crap. There have been a few dopey PP's this year, but tonight were the worst, that first unit was abysmal. Whatever they were practicing yesterday .. do the opposite! And.. get Chaisson on it in place of Lucic .. like NOW! Unlike Lucic, Chaisson can cycle, can play in front or along the wall, has decent puck handling ability, and has a snipe of a shot.

Khaira with some big pizzas tonight.. played dopey, but had some good moments like the shortie set up.
https://media.giphy.com/media/PaKMBTzu2G0Qo/giphy.gif

Kassian is rounding into form, played a smart, physical game. Best player on that 4th line right now IMO.

PulJu playing with a couple of offensive black holes did OK, no bad plays, guy needs to skate all out to be effective, but he seems to barely have the fitness to finish a shift. He needs work. Someone needs to stand him in front of a full size mirror and explain to him he's BIG, bigger and stronger than most players in the NHL, and should play like it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721538 is a reply to message #721529 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Was at the game. Koskinen was fantastic. It's just 2 games so the jury is out but if he can give the Oilers the kind of goaltending he gave them in Nashvile and last night, they are in great shape. They really struggled early with punk handling and giving it away. Even McDavid. They got better as the game went on but again Koskinen kept them in it. Caggulia was really good. I like it when players who take a lot of negative backlash play well. 2 goals, could have had a couple of assists if Nuge has some finish. I am really like Rieder. Still no goals but he is still getting points. Chiasson all he does is score goals. That whole second line is going. The defense core isn't amazing but so far, it's getting the job done. 7-4-1 after 12 games. I will take it!!

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721555 is a reply to message #721511 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

I'm gonna be a Debbie-downer and point out that our #3C has a 12 game pointless streak going, and that the only people who have more than 1 goal so far are:

McDavid: 9
Draisaitl: 7
Chiasson: 5
Caggiula: 4
Nuge: 3

with Chiasson and Caggiula both riding an unsustainable hot streak (both have 13 goals as a career best). Heck, even the Kings have more multi-goal players than us and they are the lowest scoring team in the league right now... Plus our goalies are getting peppered with shots (~30 per game on average) and our top players are being smothered with ice-time.

Yes, this has been a nice little streak, but it will not take much for things to go wildly off the rails. I hope that does not happen, but PC, TMac, and the entire team are being carried on the backs of a couple players. That's not sustainable.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721556 is a reply to message #721555 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

ziltoid wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 11:40

I'm gonna be a Debbie-downer and point out that our #3C has a 12 game pointless streak going, and that the only people who have more than 1 goal so far are:

McDavid: 9
Draisaitl: 7
Chiasson: 5
Caggiula: 4
Nuge: 3

with Chiasson and Caggiula both riding an unsustainable hot streak (both have 13 goals as a career best). Heck, even the Kings have more multi-goal players than us and they are the lowest scoring team in the league right now... Plus our goalies are getting peppered with shots (~30 per game on average) and our top players are being smothered with ice-time.

Yes, this has been a nice little streak, but it will not take much for things to go wildly off the rails. I hope that does not happen, but PC, TMac, and the entire team are being carried on the backs of a couple players. That's not sustainable.

The margin for being a winning team vs. a losing team the NHL is razor thin. As bad as the Oilers were last year, they weren't far from being a winning team. Right now I think they are riding the line and agree that it could go off the rails fairly easily. For example, if one of Klefbom or Larsson get hurt for an extended period (which both guys have been prone to do), they could easily fall to the other side of the line. If McDavid gets hurt.......let's not think about what would happen if McDavid got hurt.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721557 is a reply to message #721555 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

with Chiasson and Caggiula both riding an unsustainable hot streak (both have 13 goals as a career best).

What are you talking about? They're only shooting 50%(!!!) and 23.5% respectively. That's easily sustainable.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721558 is a reply to message #721557 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 13:12

with Chiasson and Caggiula both riding an unsustainable hot streak (both have 13 goals as a career best).

What are you talking about? They're only shooting 50%(!!!) and 23.5% respectively. That's easily sustainable.

leafs fans said Matthews was gonna do it. Why can't Chaisson and Caggiula?

Ignore how Matthews already didn't do it before his injury.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721560 is a reply to message #721558 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Chiasson and Caggulia are playing well and are off to a good start. Is there rate of scoring sustainable? Probably not but should any of us be picking it apart? I would say no. Ride the wave, pile up some wins while they are hot.

At the end of the day, if the Oilers got 15-20 goals from both Caggulia and especially Chiasson who's making league minimum, we should all be ecstatic.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721561 is a reply to message #721560 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 14:27

Chiasson and Caggulia are playing well and are off to a good start. Is there rate of scoring sustainable? Probably not but should any of us be picking it apart? I would say no. Ride the wave, pile up some wins while they are hot.

At the end of the day, if the Oilers got 15-20 goals from both Caggulia and especially Chiasson who's making league minimum, we should all be ecstatic.

I think the main thing to focus on is Drai and McDavid playing well on their own lines. If that is happening, then stuff can actually happen. Takes a hell of a winger to produce on their own if the C is playing with garbage, which Drai was the first 1-2 weeks. Much better lately though, and we need that. Guys willing to work their butts off like Caggiula and Chaisson have been recently have a pretty good shot to get results of their C is playing at an elite level.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721567 is a reply to message #721561 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 14:35

I think the main thing to focus on is Drai and McDavid playing well on their own lines. If that is happening, then stuff can actually happen. Takes a hell of a winger to produce on their own if the C is playing with garbage, which Drai was the first 1-2 weeks. Much better lately though, and we need that. Guys willing to work their butts off like Caggiula and Chaisson have been recently have a pretty good shot to get results of their C is playing at an elite level.

They were talking about that on the 31 Thoughts Podcast - Draisaitl's been really good all of a sudden. He was banking points early, but only when he was on the ice with McD - now his line has started seriously outscoring the opposition. If that keeps up, then the Oilers have a chance to make a little noise. It isn't going to work if the Oilers are a one-line team.

Only having two lines isn't great either - we have a lot of the lineup with very, very few points 12 games in - but it's a start. It also helps to have a little less negativity around key players, and Draisaitl, for whatever reason, seems to draw it pretty easily from Oilers fans...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721571 is a reply to message #721567 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 17:44 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 16:48

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 14:35

They were talking about that on the 31 Thoughts Podcast - Draisaitl's been really good all of a sudden. He was banking points early, but only when he was on the ice with McD - now his line has started seriously outscoring the opposition. If that keeps up, then the Oilers have a chance to make a little noise. It isn't going to work if the Oilers are a one-line team.

Only having two lines isn't great either - we have a lot of the lineup with very, very few points 12 games in - but it's a start. It also helps to have a little less negativity around key players, and Draisaitl, for whatever reason, seems to draw it pretty easily from Oilers fans...

Chaisson has been a pleasant surprise. Do you think when Chia signed on 3years ago his vision included a PTO guy in the top 6?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721564 is a reply to message #721560 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 13:27

I would change "probably not" to "definitely not", but it's not about picking them apart.

The goals and wins are great, and I'm definitely happy about them. And you're right, they're banked and you can't take them away. I'm just saying Chiasson is likely to go on a 14 game goalless streak at some point and nobody should be surprised by that.

On the flip side of that, Strome is going to start scoring some points here eventually (and he had an 11 game pointless streak last year, so this current streak isn't even that unusual). And Rieder is going to get a goal eventually.

I'm just not sure it's all going to balance out.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721566 is a reply to message #721560 ]
Fri, 02 November 2018 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 14:27

I agree - if multiple wingers blow away their career best seasons, it should be a cause for celebration for Oilers fans.

Of course, it's probably not best to bank on that happening...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Previous Topic:November Predictions
Next Topic:Bouchard sent to Junior
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca