This day on November 14
None

Happy Birthday To: Taylor Hall, Blue Bullet, NetBOG

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721454]
Thu, 01 November 2018 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   86%
Chicago to win:   14%
43 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2018-19 Regular Season
Sunday, October 28, 2018Edmonton 2 @ Chicago 1 (OT)Win
Thursday, November 1, 2018Chicago 0 @ Edmonton 4Win
Tuesday, February 5, 2019Chicago @ Edmonton
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/2 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/1 Total: 1

2017-18 Regular Season
Thursday, October 19, 2017Edmonton 2 @ Chicago 1 (OT)Win
Friday, December 29, 2017Chicago 4 @ Edmonton 3 (OT)Loss
Sunday, January 7, 2018Edmonton 1 @ Chicago 4Loss
Home Record: 0-0-1       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 3/3 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/5 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721456 is a reply to message #721454 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....so the Oilers are facing a team that played last night in Vancouver, and will be facing a team that will probably play their backup (Cam Ward)...what could possibly go wrong???....

....Go Oilers!!!!!!!!!!....MOGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....(just on a side note ....why is it that NHL road teams playing the second back-to-back game so often have a strong finish to the second game???...adrenaline rush???....)

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721457 is a reply to message #721456 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 07:55

....so the Oilers are facing a team that played last night in Vancouver, and will be facing a team that will probably play their backup (Cam Ward)...what could possibly go wrong???....

....Go Oilers!!!!!!!!!!....MOGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....(just on a side note ....why is it that NHL road teams playing the second back-to-back game so often have a strong finish to the second game???...adrenaline rush???....)

the same reason the horse runs fastest on the way back to the barn

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721468 is a reply to message #721454 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Caggiula was practicing on the 1st line again in case Rattie can't go.

Can't make this crap up people.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721469 is a reply to message #721468 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 09:46

I am not advocating for Caggulia because I don't think it's a good idea but who else would you put there?

Yamamoto has been on that line for what 5 games now and hasn't pissed a drop.

JP can't even look good against 3rd liners right now so I sure wouldn't put him on McDavid's wing so he can go up against a teams best dmen and best players.

Chiasson has looked good with Leon and Leon has played well ever since he was put with Chiasson and for the Oilers to have success, you have to have his line going too. So I wouldn't break that up.

I sure wouldn't put Kassian on that line. He's a 4th liner and can't even look good doing that.

So who's left?

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721470 is a reply to message #721469 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:04

I am not advocating for Caggulia because I don't think it's a good idea but who else would you put there?

JP can't even look good against 3rd liners right now so I sure wouldn't put him on McDavid's wing so he can go up against a teams best dmen and best players.

Chiasson has looked good with Leon and Leon has played well ever since he was put with Chiasson and for the Oilers to have success, you have to have his line going too. So I wouldn't break that up.

I sure wouldn't put Kassian on that line. He's a 4th liner and can't even look good doing that.

So who's left?

Probably just anyone but Caggiula. We have a piece of kryptonite that is able to turn McDavid into a replacement level performer, and we just choose to keep it as close to McDavid as we can.

If we absolutely cannot allow Pulju anywhere close to McDavid for non-"trying to win games" reasons, then I'd probably give Chaisson a shot for a bit.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721471 is a reply to message #721470 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:11

So who's left?

Probably just anyone but Caggiula. We have a piece of kryptonite that is able to turn McDavid into a replacement level performer, and we just choose to keep it as close to McDavid as we can.

If we absolutely cannot allow Pulju anywhere close to McDavid for non-"trying to win games" reasons, then I'd probably give Chaisson a shot for a bit.

I would love if JP was with McDavid when he is ready. Right now he is struggling. So I don't see how putting JP on a line so he can see a steady diet of the Toews line along with Keith helps him find some kind of game.

I am of the opinion for each line, you find a good pair that works well together, then look for a 3rd piece that can compliment them. Hopefully Rattie is ready to go because so far, no one else has worked.

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721472 is a reply to message #721471 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:19

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:11

So who's left?

I would love if JP was with McDavid when he is ready. Right now he is struggling. So I don't see how putting JP on a line so he can see a steady diet of the Toews line along with Keith helps him find some kind of game.

I am of the opinion for each line, you find a good pair that works well together, then look for a 3rd piece that can compliment them. Hopefully Rattie is ready to go because so far, no one else has worked.

Every time Pulju has played with McDavid the ice has been heavily tilted in our favour (the opposite of what happens with Caggiula). But then he makes 1 bad play or takes a bad penalty, or maybe talks to mcLellan with bad grammar and it's over. While a guy like lucic can be a boat anchor attached to McDavid's hip for 2 months getting absolutely nothing done, embarrassing himself night after night until he finally scores a fluke goal on a set goalie from 40 ft out.

McLellan just likes to dangle that carrot in front of Pulju and Pulju's reaction when he reaches out to grab it and McLellan snatches it away displeases Todd.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 November 2018 10:24]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721473 is a reply to message #721469 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

So who's left?

Given the players on the roster, not taking into account any development, who's ready etc I think the only option is JP.

I agree with everything you say about every one of our RW's and I think every opinion is spot on including JP in past posts that he should likely get some top minutes in the AHL.

The fact is that he is on the roster and should pretty much be given the chance on the top line by default.

TM has shown that there is no earning it, everyone seems to get a chance.
He has shown that there is no problem with an underdeveloped youngster there as Yamo got a crack.
The fact that Cags is even being considered shows that recent performance isnt a factor.

JP hasnt paid his dues, played his way onto it and is a young guy who needs development. Seems to check all of the boxes that has given others 1st line RW time.
At this point, with Rattie out what do they have to lose? Worst case scenario he doesnt do well and they take that as the turning point to send him down.
Best case it clicks and they are a better team.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721474 is a reply to message #721473 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:34

So who's left?

Given the players on the roster, not taking into account any development, who's ready etc I think the only option is JP.

I agree with everything you say about every one of our RW's and I think every opinion is spot on including JP in past posts that he should likely get some top minutes in the AHL.

The fact is that he is on the roster and should pretty much be given the chance on the top line by default.

He has shown that there is no problem with an underdeveloped youngster there as Yamo got a crack.
The fact that Cags is even being considered shows that recent performance isnt a factor.

JP hasnt paid his dues, played his way onto it and is a young guy who needs development. Seems to check all of the boxes that has given others 1st line RW time.
At this point, with Rattie out what do they have to lose? Worst case scenario he doesnt do well and they take that as the turning point to send him down.

One day it'll happen I think. Todd will just stick him in the top 6 and he'll produce like he did before any time he was given a reasonable amount of time to get comfortable in an offensive role. And I'm sure Todd will happily take all the credit for what Pulju does in that spot. Never woulda done it without papa Todd.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721482 is a reply to message #721474 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:42

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 10:34

So who's left?

One day it'll happen I think. Todd will just stick him in the top 6 and he'll produce like he did before any time he was given a reasonable amount of time to get comfortable in an offensive role. And I'm sure Todd will happily take all the credit for what Pulju does in that spot. Never woulda done it without papa Todd.

Heck, I would give him a check box on the positive side of the ledger if he gave it a try and it worked.
Even if it didn't, and then he was then sent down I would praise the move. I would like a 5 game, regular shift try of it before calling a failure, but then at least we could see SOMETHING to try and get JP producing. Put him in a place to succeed, if he fails, send him down.

Same goes with my wanting to see him get a few game stretch on PP one. Give it a try, whats the worst that happens?

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721483 is a reply to message #721482 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/morning-skate-report-oilers- vs-blackhawks/c-301483500

..."Caggiula skated alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Connor McDavid in Wednesday's practice, and Jesse Puljujarvi took reps with Milan Lucic and Ryan Strome on the third line. "...

...also, Koskinen will be in the nets for the Oilers....

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721491 is a reply to message #721473 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 13:34

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post. Give it a try - what's the worst that can happen?

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721496 is a reply to message #721491 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 17:47

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 13:34

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post. Give it a try - what's the worst that can happen?

Would be a submission by McLellan. He's fully dug in. Pulju has to show the required effort the required way in a grinder role. He should be studying Caggiula video to figure it out.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721477 is a reply to message #721454 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Hopefully this one doesn't smell like old times..

Home Game ... <Check!>
Visiting Team comes in on 2nd game of Back-to-backs ... <Check!>
Visiting Team gets beat previous night by the Canucks/Flames in the 1st of the back to backs ... <Check!>
Visiting Team plays back up goalie ... <Check!>
PK is brutal ... < ? >
PP is brutal ... < ? >
McDavid plays all World and on the ice most of the game, keeps Oilers in it... < this is a given ... Check!>

Oilers find a way to lose ... < ? >

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721484 is a reply to message #721454 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

You got this boys. Looked great 5-5 vs MIN, just need to tighten up the special teams.

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721486 is a reply to message #721484 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

So someone tweeted the following:

Which stats belong to these players?
At 5x5
JF Jacques 08-11
Milan Lucic 16-present day

0.58 goals/60
1.11 pts/60
18 hits/60

0.42 goals/60
1.21 pts/60
12 hits/60

Yet he still remains on the first PP unit for tonight as far as we know.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721488 is a reply to message #721486 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I fantasy drafted JFJ that one year. Terrible terrible decision.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721489 is a reply to message #721486 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 15:42

So someone tweeted the following:

Which stats belong to these players?
At 5x5
JF Jacques 08-11
Milan Lucic 16-present day

0.58 goals/60
1.11 pts/60
18 hits/60

0.42 goals/60
1.21 pts/60
12 hits/60

Yet he still remains on the first PP unit for tonight as far as we know.

As long as he's filling his quota of brutal giveaways when he gets the puck just inside our blue line, I think he's got that #1PP spot locked down.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721490 is a reply to message #721454 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

One thing Cagulla does well is shoot the puck when he has a chance to score instead of overthinking things and deferring to McD.( there's a weak positive for you ) I would much rather have Puli... there to give him a chance to get a flow going and start gaining more confidence and the experience that leads to it, but the coach continues to jerk him around and if he keeps it up we might just waste another potentially good one. If Todd was delegated to ride the pine by Chiarelli after every loss due to his coaching blunders, he'd be pretty busy just picking splinters out of his as and his confidence would be at an all time low. So what's best for the team is losing to Minnesota apparently.

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721493 is a reply to message #721490 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

I'm beginning to think the "brain"trust is actually trying to sewer his numbers wit. bonuses and future contracts. I suspect they may wait until the last quarter of the season to give him a good spot so he can't pile up significant numbers. I wouldn't put it past those bozo's, but with the more likely result that they depress his confidence so much his agent asks for a trade....

Re: Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12) [message #721497 is a reply to message #721493 ]
Thu, 01 November 2018 19:59 Go to previous message
marty61  is currently offline marty61

No Cups

Mclellan coached the life right outta that period. Cags RNH and MCD were flying out there...so McCL figures he better break em up and get Drai put there FFS

Previous Topic:GDT: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12)
Next Topic:Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca