This day on October 23
None

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719715]
Sat, 06 October 2018 13:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 86%
New Jersey to win: 14%
37 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719725 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

So handy for the review thread to fire up early. This was basically over in the 2nd.

Positives are 2 pts for LD and a PP goal for Looch. Misleading as the 2nd line pretty much struggled most of the night.

This wasn't even competitive. D was challenged and shaky all game. None of the lines looked to have chemistry or much going on.

Laid an egg and didn't even really show. I didn't expect necessarily a win but I didn't expect a disorganized, halfhearted at times effort from a team that doesn't look hungry. So disappointing that they didn't appear to want to contest this one.

It'll be a miracle if the Oilers reach their home opener with a .500 record. I can't see it. Hope this was a mirage.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719727 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

-Bouchard was nervous out there. You can't really blame the kid for being like that in his first NHL game. Bear will be up again in 8 games and Bouchard will tear up the minors and refine his play.

-Benning was Benning. A warm-body to throw on the ice. Sheesh.

-Leon was horrible the first 2 periods, but settled down and seemed to use his head in the 3rd.

-Talbot couldn't stop a beach ball out there. Good thing we have a solid backup...oh wait...

-I hate playing New Jersey. I never thought I'd ever really miss Taylor Hall. His super wide skating stance and oversized stick always made me cringe. Even in juniors, in my house we dubbed him "Taylor Falls" because of his notorious ability to fall to his knees every shift. It's just so hard to watch Hallsy play knowing what we got in return.

Oh, the humanity!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719730 is a reply to message #719727 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Looch wrote on Sat, 06 October 2018 13:07

-Bouchard was nervous out there. You can't really blame the kid for being like that in his first NHL game. Bear will be up again in 8 games and Bouchard will tear up the minors and refine his play.

-Benning was Benning. A warm-body to throw on the ice. Sheesh.

-Leon was horrible the first 2 periods, but settled down and seemed to use his head in the 3rd.

-Talbot couldn't stop a beach ball out there. Good thing we have a solid backup...oh wait...

-I hate playing New Jersey. I never thought I'd ever really miss Taylor Hall. His super wide skating stance and oversized stick always made me cringe. Even in juniors, in my house we dubbed him "Taylor Falls" because of his notorious ability to fall to his knees every shift. It's just so hard to watch Hallsy play knowing what we got in return.

Oh, the humanity!

Thanks for the reminder ....

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719731 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I blame leia for this game, this season, and two of the last 5.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719732 is a reply to message #719731 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 06 October 2018 14:21

I blame leia for this game, this season, and two of the last 5.

I just feel bad for her.. first live game in 30 years .. travel ... cost $$... and she gets treated to an Oiler crap-fest..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719735 is a reply to message #719732 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

My record is 1-1 now , but as for that second period tonight it was brutal, 4 SOG and I know 2 came in the last minute, not sure about the others. The third was way better, but a combination of poor play, no bounces going our way and then TV breaks totalling any momentum we'd put together.

Mind I got to see McDavid do his thing with that first goal. I blinked and he'd gone from blue line ot blue line. I know I want to get to see them play at Rogers, so I think I may do and opening game one season, that way my bad luck only ruins the start of the year and they can recover (hopefully)

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719736 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

There they are folks, your NHL Preseason Champions 2018!!!

When is that banner going up anyhow?

Also - is now the best time to trade Lucic? A goal, an assist, several hits! There’s an impact player!!! Get’er done Chia!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719739 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Everyone looks lost in almost every game situation still.

1st unit of the PP is exactly the same as last year under Woodcroft after Letestu was traded. Were the new coaches allowed to give any input for that mess? Yay for McDavid rushes on the PP at least. Yet again though, after that 1 rush, our PP becomes a huge momentum generator for the other team.

In typical McLellan team fashion, our adjustments combined with the other coaches adjustments after the 1st period leave us in the prone position and we look like a lost ECHL team.

Just gotta hope we aren't stuck watching last season all over again.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 October 2018 19:34]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719740 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

What a stinker.. The Oilers were never in this one, even after they tied it in the first, NJ controlled the pace, won every puck battle, and the had the Oilers chasing the entire game. Disappointing to say the least after all the talk about getting off to a good start.

Nice to see Lucic get a couple points, and with the next game being in Boston maybe he stays motivated. I didn't mind Talbot tonight, he wasn't getting much help. This is not a playoff caliber D.

Last year opening night we blanked the Flames, and it was downhill for the next 81 games. Let's hope this year game one is the kick in the pants the team needs and they wake up for game 2 and at least play like they give a crap. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think I can make it through another lost season post October.

The Oilers have a tough schedule to start the year, but if they can stay close to .500 by xmas their schedule gets a bit softer and they could get into the mix. Lots of hockey left, but not off to a reassuring start.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719741 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sat, 06 October 2018 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

Really hope not many people got overly excited about that preseason run... they looked even worse than last year at moments today. I miss Hallsy.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719743 is a reply to message #719741 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

That 2nd period might have been the most garbage hockey I've seen the Oilers play in the last 10 years and I've seen a lot of garbage Oilers hockey. icon_dead

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719746 is a reply to message #719743 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

1 shot in a period is not acceptable, at any level of hockey outside of peter puck.

Foolish me figured the boys would be embarrassed by such a showing, and come out harder in the 3rd... like I said, foolish me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719747 is a reply to message #719746 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

Hemmer2Eberle wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 01:40

1 shot in a period is not acceptable, at any level of hockey outside of peter puck.

Foolish me figured the boys would be embarrassed by such a showing, and come out harder in the 3rd... like I said, foolish me.

You know, Sutter is still not doing anything at the moment...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719749 is a reply to message #719747 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 02:16

Wonder how Sutter would evolve his game plan for todays game. I imagine he would quite a bit, he had interviews last year I think about how he recognizes the speed of the game is up and checking has changed from hits to stick checking. And he always understood the importance of actual possession of the puck.

Sigh, knew I shoulda been more worried when I hear Oilers players in pre-season talking about how the OIlers are gonna up their dump and chase game, by tweaking the intensity of the CHASE! ugh...fire McLellan ASAP please. Guy is clearly running the show with an iron fist. I saw nothing different in the game plan last night compared to last year. Teams all have the book on all our lame little plays.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719750 is a reply to message #719749 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 10:41

Wonder how Sutter would evolve his game plan for todays game. I imagine he would quite a bit, he had interviews last year I think about how he recognizes the speed of the game is up and checking has changed from hits to stick checking. And he always understood the importance of actual possession of the puck.

Sigh, knew I shoulda been more worried when I hear Oilers players in pre-season talking about how the OIlers are gonna up their dump and chase game, by tweaking the intensity of the CHASE! ugh...fire McLellan ASAP please. Guy is clearly running the show with an iron fist. I saw nothing different in the game plan last night compared to last year. Teams all have the book on all our lame little plays.

They were talking on the radio last week about how Gulutzan has been running PP in practice - despite the team talking up Viveiros as a PP ace when they hired him. Would be so Oilers to not use someone like that because A) he has the least recognizable name in the group and B) because everyone suggests they probably should.

Even the mouth-breathers like Rishaug have realized that there’s nothing threatening about this power play as it’s currently set. They are dangerous on the rush because they have Connor McDavid, but beyond that - nothing. The set-up is not designed well and it’s unlikely to be successful as a result.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719762 is a reply to message #719750 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 10:23

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 10:41

They were talking on the radio last week about how Gulutzan has been running PP in practice - despite the team talking up Viveiros as a PP ace when they hired him. Would be so Oilers to not use someone like that because A) he has the least recognizable name in the group and B) because everyone suggests they probably should.

Even the mouth-breathers like Rishaug have realized that there’s nothing threatening about this power play as it’s currently set. They are dangerous on the rush because they have Connor McDavid, but beyond that - nothing. The set-up is not designed well and it’s unlikely to be successful as a result.

That was Gregor, making the comment after seeing it in one practice. He asked Rischaug about it on air, who has been at camp full time, and he told Gregor he was wrong, Gulutzan usually helps out in practice with all the special teams, he said he hasn't been running the PP.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719800 is a reply to message #719762 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 22:38

That was Gregor, making the comment after seeing it in one practice. He asked Rischaug about it on air, who has been at camp full time, and he told Gregor he was wrong, Gulutzan usually helps out in practice with all the special teams, he said he hasn't been running the PP.

I didn't think it was that black & white. Thought Rishaug hemmed and hawed and said that he thinks Gulutzan is a rover who deals with a bunch of things, but that yes, he'd been running the PP in practices lately.

I've no confidence in Rishaug's ability to dissect anything. He's useless and I find while he and Spector seem to often be AT practice, they are rarely really able to talk to what happened on the ice like Gregor or Stauffer or a couple others seem able to do.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719753 is a reply to message #719747 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hell... why invite just one Sutter?! Let's bring down the whole family. Cant be any worse off.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719760 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilslick492  is currently offline oilslick492

No Cups

Just pointing out that last year the Jets stunk their first game and then lit us up the next game against us and went on a tear to the playoffs. I’m hoping we see that this year..... but I’ve had my hopes up and down for the last 12 years I’m indifferent now. How sad is that? Been a fan since ‘79 and these eyes....cry every night.... for you.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719761 is a reply to message #719760 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

Hockey is what makes winter bearable. Bad first game. I think this year will be different. I really think this team has a chip on their shoulder and the first game should piss them off even more. They have enough skill, they just need to play like they give a damn.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719764 is a reply to message #719761 ]
Mon, 08 October 2018 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 07 October 2018 21:18

Hockey is what makes winter bearable. Bad first game. I think this year will be different. I really think this team has a chip on their shoulder and the first game should piss them off even more. They have enough skill, they just need to play like they give a damn.

Pick a junior hockey to Team to follow. Even if they’re awful they’ll still care if they’re awful.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719795 is a reply to message #719764 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Lucic played very well. Looked engaged, scored a goal, made a good pass for another goal. Maybe one of his best games as an Oiler in my opinion. I hope that continues. Other than that, not a good game by very many.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 October 2018 09:20]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719813 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Disinterested hockey is what it looked like. Their G.A.S. meter was so low and their tempo from preseason and even in the German game were more inspired than what I saw on Saturday. I don't understand what is with this club, they do not care to be out there or doing the bare minimum to get the job done.

I don't know just one game but there is too much telling of that game to let me know the next 10 games.. 0-10? Is that a real possibility? I do think it is. 0 and 10 and the Oilers are in "see you next year mode".

Our D was horrible passing back and fourth in their zone and could they not make a pass that could connect? One pass in the defensive zone that you need to make, just one, get the puck out and onto a teammates stick in the neutral zone.

The only player worth noting is McDavid. He's amazing and soon should this crap continue will Pronger is way out of town. Can't say I blame him.

It's not getting better is it?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719815 is a reply to message #719813 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

While McDavid was decent because he always is because he is so good. I didn't think McDavid looked that great either. First game last year, McDavid literally beat the Flames all by himself.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719818 is a reply to message #719815 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 October 2018 11:50

While McDavid was decent because he always is because he is so good. I didn't think McDavid looked that great either. First game last year, McDavid literally beat the Flames all by himself.

Even a poor performing McDavid is equal to the 10x best of any other player on the Oilers.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719819 is a reply to message #719815 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 October 2018 11:50

It's an unreasonable expectation to think that any game not completely dominated by McDavid is a disappointment.

He got two assists and was a driving factor in both goals. His line had five shots and the Oilers were dangerous when he was on at 5v5, and largely defending when he was off the ice.

I think with any reasonable expectation level, you can't be disappointed in 97 Saturday. The rest of the team? Fire away.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1) [message #719822 is a reply to message #719715 ]
Tue, 09 October 2018 20:45 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Best first week of an NHL season ever man

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d8de3bbf03ad4a7e3744ff650517f662/tenor.gif?itemid=5692313

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:J. Jarabek Released... P. Aberg on Waivers
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca