This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Sekera (Officially) put on LTIRPages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729592 is a reply to message #729586 ]
Tue, 05 February 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 05 February 2019 08:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 February 2019 08:34

Well it happened. Sekera is going to do his conditioning stint.

I had hoped that Sekera would spend the whole season on the LTIR. Not because I dislike the player, I just don’t see how he can possibly be any good this season. He got hurt in the playoffs with a MAJOR knee injury. He missed all of the offseason, camp, preseason and over half of last season. He gets most of this offseason then gets hurt again with a MAJOR injury. Missed the last and probably most critical month of the offseason, all of camp, all of the preseason and will have missed 3/4 of the season. I just don’t see how 2 weeks in the minors can make up for all that missed time. He could spend a month in the minors and I don’t think it would be enough to catch up.

If the Oilers are lucky, he will be a mediocre 3rd pairing dman but I have my doubts.

You aren't wrong to voice concern. if the latter happens and he becomes a mediocre 3rd pairing D on a team full of them, we will have 2 more years of him, barring the fact he doesn't get injured again.

I don't know what to make of Sekera coming back, my hope is that he knocks our socks off with some decent defensive work, but reality and history of athlete's coming back from serious injury isn't too kind to them and they hang it up soon after.

Sekera was a real good dman when he was healthy. I think he was easily a real good #3 dman on a lot of teams but he hasn't been healthy for 2 years. Last year after coming back from a major knee injury, he wasn't even a passable 3rd pairing guy. If Sekera was elite like a Karlsson so even when he is at 75%, that's better than most dmen in the league then I wouldn't be worried but he's not elite. When he finishes his conditioning stint, the Oilers will have to make moves to clear some cap space and they could easily be forced to do that just to make room for a guy who there is a good chance won't even be able to give you mediocre 3rd pairing minutes just because he's missed so much time AGAIN. I know they put themselves into this position but man that is a tough pill to swallow.

It's too bad you aren't allowed to keep a guy on a conditioning stint longer than 2 weeks.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729594 is a reply to message #729592 ]
Tue, 05 February 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 February 2019 10:15

I had hoped that Sekera would spend the whole season on the LTIR. Not because I dislike the player, I just don’t see how he can possibly be any good this season. He got hurt in the playoffs with a MAJOR knee injury. He missed all of the offseason, camp, preseason and over half of last season. He gets most of this offseason then gets hurt again with a MAJOR injury. Missed the last and probably most critical month of the offseason, all of camp, all of the preseason and will have missed 3/4 of the season. I just don’t see how 2 weeks in the minors can make up for all that missed time. He could spend a month in the minors and I don’t think it would be enough to catch up.

If the Oilers are lucky, he will be a mediocre 3rd pairing dman but I have my doubts.

You aren't wrong to voice concern. if the latter happens and he becomes a mediocre 3rd pairing D on a team full of them, we will have 2 more years of him, barring the fact he doesn't get injured again.

I don't know what to make of Sekera coming back, my hope is that he knocks our socks off with some decent defensive work, but reality and history of athlete's coming back from serious injury isn't too kind to them and they hang it up soon after.

Sekera was a real good dman when he was healthy. I think he was easily a real good #3 dman on a lot of teams but he hasn't been healthy for 2 years. Last year after coming back from a major knee injury, he wasn't even a passable 3rd pairing guy. If Sekera was elite like a Karlsson so even when he is at 75%, that's better than most dmen in the league then I wouldn't be worried but he's not elite. When he finishes his conditioning stint, the Oilers will have to make moves to clear some cap space and they could easily be forced to do that just to make room for a guy who there is a good chance won't even be able to give you mediocre 3rd pairing minutes just because he's missed so much time AGAIN. I know they put themselves into this position but man that is a tough pill to swallow.

It's too bad you aren't allowed to keep a guy on a conditioning stint longer than 2 weeks.

Eh, worst case he goes on the conditioning stint and is deemed not suitable to return and he just stays on LTIR for the remainder of the season.

Best case, he IS healthy and gets the commissioner exemption for the extra 2 games which he uses to get up to game speed and comes up to the big team like a pre-deadline deal.

I want him back. I want Keith to HAVE to move out a contract. Even if it’s a Manning demotion (which I don’t see happening as the media has hinted at Hitch liking the guy). I want to see some moves. We know it has to happen at some point. If the organization is serious about their belief in making playoffs this year, let’s get them going, especially if Reggie will be given the thumbs up.

This team getting Klefbom and Sekera (2 of our top 3 dmen) back is, potentially, huge.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729810 is a reply to message #729594 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 05 February 2019 09:22

Eh, worst case he goes on the conditioning stint and is deemed not suitable to return and he just stays on LTIR for the remainder of the season.

Best case, he IS healthy and gets the commissioner exemption for the extra 2 games which he uses to get up to game speed and comes up to the big team like a pre-deadline deal.

I want him back. I want Keith to HAVE to move out a contract. Even if it’s a Manning demotion (which I don’t see happening as the media has hinted at Hitch liking the guy). I want to see some moves. We know it has to happen at some point. If the organization is serious about their belief in making playoffs this year, let’s get them going, especially if Reggie will be given the thumbs up.

This team getting Klefbom and Sekera (2 of our top 3 dmen) back is, potentially, huge.

Yeah, I think all the hand-wringing here about this is a bit odd. Cheering for a guy not to make a recovery feels pretty awful, and the simple fact is, we don’t know how his recovery looks.

If healthy, there’s an excellent chance that Sekera is one of our top 3 or 4 defenceman still. There’s value in that. If he struggles this year, it doesn’t really matter. We aren’t making the playoffs anyhow with sad sack team.

Ultimately he’s going to need to start playing games again at some point so it might as well be now.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729811 is a reply to message #729810 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 08:45

Yeah, I think all the hand-wringing here about this is a bit odd. Cheering for a guy not to make a recovery feels pretty awful, and the simple fact is, we don’t know how his recovery looks.

If healthy, there’s an excellent chance that Sekera is one of our top 3 or 4 defenceman still. There’s value in that. If he struggles this year, it doesn’t really matter. We aren’t making the playoffs anyhow with sad sack team.

Ultimately he’s going to need to start playing games again at some point so it might as well be now.

You know we don’t disagree often. This is spot on.

I had heard/read a few comments on the internets yesterday asking why they sent him down when they did, with Bakersfield not playing till Friday and it’s clear that they wanted to get him some practice time with the group down there too. It seems, on the outside anyway, that they are being professional and smart about his rehab. He was originally scheduled to do his conditioning stint in Bakersfield just after Christmas but was delayed a month. That shows they aren’t rushing him. Now the player seems to feel he is able to take the next step in his progression which is nothing but good news for the Oilers. It brings clarity to his situation on the remainder of the year one way or another. He’s either back and contributing while pushing guys down who are playing above their heads, or he’s not ready and stays on LTIR for the rest of the year to try to come back next season. Either way it’s good for the player and the team, it feels dirty wishing for his rehab to fail.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729889 is a reply to message #729810 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 07:45

Make that top 3 minimum... Nurse is still terrible at least half the time defensively.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729894 is a reply to message #729889 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 20:39

Make that top 3 minimum... Nurse is still terrible at least half the time defensively.

Meh, Nurse hasn’t improved much imo, even offensively. Russel, “The Starfish Cowboy” has his games though!! IIRC, Sek and Russel made a pretty good 2nd pair that playoff year with Nurse and Benning on the 3rd pair.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729907 is a reply to message #729894 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 19:58

Meh, Nurse hasn’t improved much imo, even offensively. Russel, “The Starfish Cowboy” has his games though!! IIRC, Sek and Russel made a pretty good 2nd pair that playoff year with Nurse and Benning on the 3rd pair.

Problem is the "Turd-Polisher" will be playing with Russel in that scenario - Nurse/Benning was a disaster the last time they were a thing (if I remember correctly)

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #730004 is a reply to message #729894 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 08:22 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 19:58

You don't think Nurse has improved offensively? He's already set career highs in goals and points and there is still 28 games left and that isn't an improvement to you?

I wasn't sure where Nurse could be offensively but if he can settle into a 7-10 goal, 35+ pt guy while being a great skating, physical, nasty, play lots of minutes, decent defensively dman, I am going to be pretty happy with that.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca