F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718340]
Mon, 10 September 2018 15:15 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oilers are bringing in Alex Chiasson to a PTO. Interesting!! 6'4, 210, right shot. Bottom 6 guy.

I wonder if bringing in a guy like An Upshall or a Chiasson or both, means a deal is coming? Say Kassian for...

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2018 15:17]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718342 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

Got to wonder if Kassian is going to be gone, the amount of forwards they have on PTO's who could fill an already pretty full bottom 6 makes you wonder. Maybe Kassian for Defense help?

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718343 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 September 2018 15:15

Oilers are bringing in Alex Chiasson to a PTO. Interesting!! 6'4, 210, right shot. Bottom 6 guy.

I wonder if bringing in a guy like An Upshall or a Chiasson or both, means a deal is coming? Say Kassian for...

If someone doesn't get traded, there's not a lot of point to all these PTOs. The team literally can't afford to sign any of them - not with Nurse's deal still hanging out there.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718344 is a reply to message #718343 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 September 2018 15:20

If someone doesn't get traded, there's not a lot of point to all these PTOs. The team literally can't afford to sign any of them - not with Nurse's deal still hanging out there.

Sounds like a strong case to trade Nurse.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718346 is a reply to message #718343 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 September 2018 15:20

I agree with you. I think the Nurse deal happens right before camp at around 3 mill. Then I think they will announce that Sekera is done for the year and put him on LTIR. When Chia talked about it, he sure didn't come off sounding optimistic. Plus at his age and considering he barely played last year and this is a pretty serious injury, even if he was "healthy" with some games left, you can't train or skate at all with an what he has. He will be even farther behind that he was last year. He might be done in the NHL. First a major knee injury then an achilles. Pretty touch to be an effective NHLer if you have barely played in 2 yeas when you are on the wrong side of 30. Once they get the LTIR relief, I think a trade for Faulk is coming. I could see Kassian and insert defensive prospect.

I could also see Aberg getting waived. If he gets picked up, Oh well. If he doesn't, all of his salary would be able to be buried in the minors I believe. So if the Oilers end up with Upshall and Chiasson as replacements for Aberg and Kassian, are they worse off? I don't think so.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718355 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

He has size, shoots right, what's not to like? :)

Oh and did I mention he has a cup ring?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718356 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

I'm gonna assume the Oilers Dept of Nepotism saw Chia-son and offered him an invite just in case

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718357 is a reply to message #718356 ]
Mon, 10 September 2018 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 10 September 2018 20:09

I'm gonna assume the Oilers Dept of Nepotism saw Chia-son and offered him an invite just in case

Bravo sir

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718380 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Okay..

Well Upshall makes the team sign for under a mil. Chaisson makes an interesting case to dump Kassian as I think he is not long for this team.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 September 2018 10:53]

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718384 is a reply to message #718380 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 10:45

Okay..

Well Upshall makes the team sign for under a mil. Chaisson makes an interesting case to dump Kassian as I think he is not long for this team.

Who is going to take Kassian at that contract? Unless the Oilers retain money, of course, which would totally defeat the purpose of signing a cheap PTO to a real contract.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718391 is a reply to message #718384 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 11:38

Okay..

Who is going to take Kassian at that contract? Unless the Oilers retain money, of course, which would totally defeat the purpose of signing a cheap PTO to a real contract.

Kassian has size and shoots right. What's not to like?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718393 is a reply to message #718391 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 12:59

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 11:38

Okay..

Kassian has size and shoots right. What's not to like?

What we need is for Kassian to play like a Lucic-type player. Also, if Lucic would become a Lucic-type player that would be pretty cool too. I like the focus on fixing the bottom six while hoping and praying the second line, D, and net just work themselves out.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718392 is a reply to message #718384 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 10:38

Okay..

I hope they keep Kassian, the guy I'd trade is Caggiula if they need cap ($1.5M ?) ...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718396 is a reply to message #718392 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 13:02

Okay..

I hope they keep Kassian, the guy I'd trade is Caggiula if they need cap ($1.5M ?) ...

Yep. Caggiula is a poor man's Mark Arcobello who's worse at both ends of the ice.

Caggiula:
Y1 = 60 - 7 - 11 -18
Y2 = 67 - 13 - 7 -20

Arcobello:
Y1 = 41 - 4 -14 - 18
Y2 = 77 - 17 - 14 - 31

Arcobello did get 2-ish years in the minors before spending time with the big club, so maybe Caggiula doesn't wash out like Arcobello did. But if I'm cutting bait with someone in the bottom 6 its Caggiula first.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718398 is a reply to message #718396 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 13:21

Okay..

Yep. Caggiula is a poor man's Mark Arcobello who's worse at both ends of the ice.

Caggiula:
Y1 = 60 - 7 - 11 -18
Y2 = 67 - 13 - 7 -20

Arcobello:
Y1 = 41 - 4 -14 - 18
Y2 = 77 - 17 - 14 - 31

Arcobello did get 2-ish years in the minors before spending time with the big club, so maybe Caggiula doesn't wash out like Arcobello did. But if I'm cutting bait with someone in the bottom 6 its Caggiula first.

Two counter-points on this:

1) Kassian makes more money. You free up $2MM if you can move him. If he can up his production back to the 25-30 point range, then maybe he earns that contract. If he's a 15-20 point guy, he's very expensive, even if he brings physicality. Last year it seemed like he'd lost some of that edge too...He took more bad penalties, and less penalties from simply being aggressive.

2) The Oilers LOVE the Drake. I don't really understand it. He's a passable player, but he hasn't shown he can be anything but a third liner at best...and yet he got 18 minutes more on the PP last year than Puljujarvi (65-48). He managed an extra goal (3 vs. 2) to Puljujarvi, but Caggiula seems to always be the guy getting the push. Same thing with time with McDavid...Caggiula's often chosen to move up the lineup, and his production never seems to really warrant it. He's working hard to be this coach's Tobey Peterson...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718400 is a reply to message #718398 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 13:40

1) Kassian makes more money. You free up $2MM if you can move him. If he can up his production back to the 25-30 point range, then maybe he earns that contract. If he's a 15-20 point guy, he's very expensive, even if he brings physicality. Last year it seemed like he'd lost some of that edge too...He took more bad penalties, and less penalties from simply being aggressive.

2) The Oilers LOVE the Drake. I don't really understand it. He's a passable player, but he hasn't shown he can be anything but a third liner at best...and yet he got 18 minutes more on the PP last year than Puljujarvi (65-48). He managed an extra goal (3 vs. 2) to Puljujarvi, but Caggiula seems to always be the guy getting the push. Same thing with time with McDavid...Caggiula's often chosen to move up the lineup, and his production never seems to really warrant it. He's working hard to be this coach's Tobey Peterson...

Kassian will only save you $1 million-ish, because you have to replace him with someone.

I'm assuming if they want to sign these guys on PTO, they will do it AFTER Sekera goes on LTIR, giving them more room.

CapFriendly also shows them with only 22 contracts (not including Nurse), but either Jerabek or Gravel will have to be sent to the minors (or both down for a Bouchard or a Bear). That means they need another forward anyway. That might be Yamamoto, a guy on PTO, of somebody cut somewhere else.

I also fear the Oilers are waiting for Sekera to go on LTIR to sign Nurse. That would mean him missing camp and taking 3 or 4 weeks of regular season time to get up to speed.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718401 is a reply to message #718398 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Okay..

Caggiula:
Y1 = 60 - 7 - 11 -18
Y2 = 67 - 13 - 7 -20

Arcobello:
Y1 = 41 - 4 -14 - 18
Y2 = 77 - 17 - 14 - 31

1) Personally, I am willing to pay the extra 500k for Kassian as Caggiula has a tendency (if I recall his WOWY numbers) to drag down his linemates more-so than Kassian, and takes opportunities away from better players (Puljujarvi, as you mentioned). Both are a saw-off defensively and offensively, and it's not Drake's fault he is overvalued by the coaching/management group, but he's near the top of my list to move out. Plus I think it'd be an easier sell to teams that Caggiula is the better player with more potential than Kassian, so we could likely get a better return. But you're right, if the sole aim is cap space, then it's Kassian.

2) Ya, I don't get the love they have for him. PC's affinity for college players perhaps? I'd say Kassian is far more likely to be moved by management than Drake, but I don't think it's the right move. Not that it'd be devastating, but I'd prefer he stay over Caggiula, the caveat being Nurse: if trading Kassian is the only way to get Nurse under contract, then so be it.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718404 is a reply to message #718401 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 14:14

Okay..

Caggiula:
Y1 = 60 - 7 - 11 -18
Y2 = 67 - 13 - 7 -20

Arcobello:
Y1 = 41 - 4 -14 - 18
Y2 = 77 - 17 - 14 - 31

1) Personally, I am willing to pay the extra 500k for Kassian as Caggiula has a tendency (if I recall his WOWY numbers) to drag down his linemates more-so than Kassian, and takes opportunities away from better players (Puljujarvi, as you mentioned). Both are a saw-off defensively and offensively, and it's not Drake's fault he is overvalued by the coaching/management group, but he's near the top of my list to move out. Plus I think it'd be an easier sell to teams that Caggiula is the better player with more potential than Kassian, so we could likely get a better return. But you're right, if the sole aim is cap space, then it's Kassian.

2) Ya, I don't get the love they have for him. PC's affinity for college players perhaps? I'd say Kassian is far more likely to be moved by management than Drake, but I don't think it's the right move. Not that it'd be devastating, but I'd prefer he stay over Caggiula, the caveat being Nurse: if trading Kassian is the only way to get Nurse under contract, then so be it.

I agree - I prefer Kassian to Caggiula.

Just don't think the Oilers do.

And I think Kassian gets way more leeway than he should for a terrible and pretty ineffective season last year. I think he should be on the bubble a bit, because he wasn't worth the money last season - and the Oilers still have one more with him after this...

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718405 is a reply to message #718404 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 14:30

ziltoid wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 14:14

Okay..

Caggiula:
Y1 = 60 - 7 - 11 -18
Y2 = 67 - 13 - 7 -20

Arcobello:
Y1 = 41 - 4 -14 - 18
Y2 = 77 - 17 - 14 - 31

I agree - I prefer Kassian to Caggiula.

Just don't think the Oilers do.

And I think Kassian gets way more leeway than he should for a terrible and pretty ineffective season last year. I think he should be on the bubble a bit, because he wasn't worth the money last season - and the Oilers still have one more with him after this...

I think the difference between Kassian and Caggulia is Kassian is a going to be 28 yr old in January 387 games under his belt where he was been a 7 goal, 20-25 pt guy. He is what he is. Caggulia is a 24 yr old with 127 games under his belt player coming off a 13 goal season, which is almost double what he scored from his first year. If I am putting bets on a player continuing to develop his scoring, I am going to lean towards Caggulia who isn't establish vs Kassian.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718406 is a reply to message #718405 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 14:38

I think the difference between Kassian and Caggulia is Kassian is a going to be 28 yr old in January 387 games under his belt where he was been a 7 goal, 20-25 pt guy. He is what he is. Caggulia is a 24 yr old with 127 games under his belt player coming off a 13 goal season, which is almost double what he scored from his first year. If I am putting bets on a player continuing to develop his scoring, I am going to lean towards Caggulia who isn't establish vs Kassian.

It's not just production, it's production relative to opportunity. As a 4th liner, Kassian is not that bad. Overpaid, but not bad overall.

Caggiula gets the prime treatment but does not produce accordingly. That's a problem because its a huge opportunity cost we can't afford to pay. Plus at 24 there's not a whole lot of room for development unless you are a goalie. Sure, he may get a bit better, but it's not like Caggiula will suddenly become a legit top 6 scorer. He's a depth player who maxes out as a 3rd liner.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718414 is a reply to message #718406 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 15:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 14:38

It's not just production, it's production relative to opportunity. As a 4th liner, Kassian is not that bad. Overpaid, but not bad overall.

Caggiula gets the prime treatment but does not produce accordingly. That's a problem because its a huge opportunity cost we can't afford to pay. Plus at 24 there's not a whole lot of room for development unless you are a goalie. Sure, he may get a bit better, but it's not like Caggiula will suddenly become a legit top 6 scorer. He's a depth player who maxes out as a 3rd liner.

I don't think Caggulia will ever become a top 6 guy but he's got a better chance to be a 15 goal guy year after year vs Kassian. He had 13 last year. Kassian had 7 goals 2 years in a row. I thought he just had some really bad luck with all those offsides his first year. Then he follows it up with the same output. Looks like a trend to me. If Caggulia is giving you 15 goals at 1.5 mill, that's not half bad.

Personally, I could care less about the 2. If you could find away to get rid of Kassian at 1.95 and Caggulia at 1.5 and replace them each with Upshall and Chiasson for 1 mill or less each. You trim almost 1.5 mill minimum off the books, probably get close to the same offensive production and get 2 guys who kill penalties better.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718458 is a reply to message #718414 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Let's not forget what playoff Kassian brings to the table. Few bone crunching hits vs the Sharks that helped shift momentum and get the boys going.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718460 is a reply to message #718458 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 15:20

Let's not forget what playoff Kassian brings to the table. Few bone crunching hits vs the Sharks that helped shift momentum and get the boys going.

https://youtu.be/-oSFYxDGKy8?t=63

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718461 is a reply to message #718458 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 15:20

What happened to it all last season? I don't expect a player to play at playoff level. You can't duplicate that level for 82 games but I don't think we say playoff Kassian once all last year.

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718467 is a reply to message #718458 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 15:53 Go to previous message

4 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 14:20

I'm with you there Gator.. that's the guy I think Kassian really is, I'd like to hang on to him, not only Kassian had a bad year, the whole team sucked, except for the SuperNova that is 97..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718407 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Who do you trade to gain $.5M to $1M Cap Room?[ 16 vote(s) ]
1.Trade Caggilua for + $0.5M Cap Room 11 / 69%
2.Trade Kassian for +$1M Cap Room 5 / 31%

As has been said.. trading Kassian only saves you $1M tops, you need to replace him with the prospective PTO guy, who may want even more than $1M. Kassian IMO is way better than Caggiula who makes $1.5M and brings a LOT less than Kassian, Kassian is faster, as much or more skill, size, fearless, intimidates, and can PK, unlike Caggiula.

If you really need cap space, trade Caggiula... From what I saw of him last year I have no expectation he'll ever be a serviceable 3rd liner, and he doesn't have the goods to be a 4th liner, or can PK to save his life.

Kassian can do all of that much better, and even has the speed and skill to potentially move up to the 3rd.

Here's a poll, if you thought an extra 0.5 or 1M of cap room would actually help, who would you trade.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 September 2018 15:38]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718408 is a reply to message #718340 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Who Would you Pick to Sign from PTO[ 18 vote(s) ]
1.Chiasson 9 / 50%
2.S. Upshall 9 / 50%

Who would you sign based on last years performance?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718410 is a reply to message #718408 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

To give people the stats line:

Chiasson: 61GP, 9-9-18, 26 PIMs, +1, 57 hits, 29 blocks, 1PPG, 1SHG, TOI 11:46/gm

Upshall: 63GP, 7-12-19, 46 PIMS, -1, 119 hits, 24 blocks, 0PPG, 0SHG, TOI 10:51/gm

Doesn't get much closer than that...

I probably pick Chiasson because he's younger (27 vs 34) and bigger (6'4 vs 6'0)

Re: Oilers sign Alex Chaisson to a PTO [message #718413 is a reply to message #718410 ]
Tue, 11 September 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What if I don't want any of them?

Chiasson for Kassian if I'm forced.

Previous Topic:Bob McKenzie on the State of the Oilers:
Next Topic:Kassian for Scrivens
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca