This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, StromePages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758111 is a reply to message #758110 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 11:41

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 12:29

I was watching the sportsnet replay of the Oilers vs Sharks 2017 playoff game (#5) last night .. where Deharnais scores the OT winner, quite a flashback!

One thing I wanted to focus on was Slepychev, due to the chatter about maybe he's looking at coming back next year.. It was interesting.. the guy has good speed, heavy on the puck (solid dude), and can make plays.. he was better than I remembered, certainly better than some of the other guys on today's lineup. Hope he comes to camp and gives it a go.

Larsson looked more mobile back then, he's had back issues, wonder if that's his problem now, he looks stiff and upright when he skates.

Biggest hit of the game was McD on Sorensen, open ice, rocked him!

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

Watched it last night too. Was pretty great, though made me miss the current, suspended, season. That line of Maroon-Letestu-Kassian was heavy as heck. Had Sekera not been injured in that Anaheim series (dang you Getzlaf) then I think that the Oilers seriously could have went deeper. That team had no depth on D however. Also, 2017 Talbot was dang good.

Thought the same thing, Sekera was a main ingredient on that D, and they had a young Benning playing regular minutes with Nurse.. if they had Sekera they could have gone really deep.

Letestu was another guy that looked good in comparison to what we have now, not a bad 3rd line, Maroon Letestu Kassian. 4th line was Pouliot Desharnais, and Sleepychev.

Bottom 6 weren't actually that bad..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758123 is a reply to message #758111 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 12:57

I was watching the sportsnet replay of the Oilers vs Sharks 2017 playoff game (#5) last night .. where Deharnais scores the OT winner, quite a flashback!

One thing I wanted to focus on was Slepychev, due to the chatter about maybe he's looking at coming back next year.. It was interesting.. the guy has good speed, heavy on the puck (solid dude), and can make plays.. he was better than I remembered, certainly better than some of the other guys on today's lineup. Hope he comes to camp and gives it a go.

Larsson looked more mobile back then, he's had back issues, wonder if that's his problem now, he looks stiff and upright when he skates.

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

Watched it last night too. Was pretty great, though made me miss the current, suspended, season. That line of Maroon-Letestu-Kassian was heavy as heck. Had Sekera not been injured in that Anaheim series (dang you Getzlaf) then I think that the Oilers seriously could have went deeper. That team had no depth on D however. Also, 2017 Talbot was dang good.

Thought the same thing, Sekera was a main ingredient on that D, and they had a young Benning playing regular minutes with Nurse.. if they had Sekera they could have gone really deep.

Letestu was another guy that looked good in comparison to what we have now, not a bad 3rd line, Maroon Letestu Kassian. 4th line was Pouliot Desharnais, and Sleepychev.

Pointing out the obvious... but other than a required Sekera replacement, why wasn't that entire team just left as is?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758127 is a reply to message #758123 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 09:18

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

Pointing out the obvious... but other than a required Sekera replacement, why wasn't that entire team just left as is?

Because Eberle had zero goals and Chia panicked.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758128 is a reply to message #758123 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 08:18

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

It was - Chiarelli did virtually nothing that summer. Here's the sum total of what they did:

- Lost Reinhart to expansion draft
- Drafted Yamamoto
- Traded Eberle for Strome - one for one of course
- Bought out Pouliot
- Let Desharnais walk in free agency, lost Pitlick to free agency too.
- Re-signed Russell, re-signed Gryba, re-signed Draisaitl, extended McDavid
- signed Jussi Jokinen
- signed Johann Auvitu
- signed every veteran AHLer available

Did I miss anything?

I think he believed that he was on the edge of greatness here. He ignored the fact that that season had unprecented good health. We had no major injuries to anyone in our top six F or top four D. Our goaltending was exceptional, to the point where Talbot even got a couple Hart Trophy votes. At the time, it looked like the reliance on McDavid and Draisaitl was also pretty extreme - although in years since, we've learned that was a balanced lineup by comparison.

The health was a big one - they went in to the season knowing that two of their top four defencemen were hurt, and Sekera wasn't due back until Christmas. They should have known that one of the pillars of their success was just not going to be there for the next season - and yet they did nothing beyond add Johan Auvitu,

Chiarelli talked at the next summer about how they were disappointed with the 1994s in 2017-18 - that being those born that year - Strome, Benning, Caggiula, Slepyshev & Khaira. The big problem wasn't performance of those players though, but rather the team projecting all those players to make big leaps - when there was little reason to believe that they would.

I think with Strome, they expected him to replace Eberle's production but A) his history hadn't suggested that was likely and B) they quickly demoted him down the lineup and never gave him a chance to perform on a top line - as we've seen in New York, he did have that in him. In the end, he scored 34 points - his second highest total to that point, despite playing much of the year on the third line. His production is what they should have forecasted it to be. So was most of those guys really.

Slepyshev really never had a chance. having played 102 games with the Oilers, he's one of the most successful Russians ever to play under McLellan. There does seem to be a strong bias against Russians with that particular coach - almost none of them have ever done well, and most don't last long - including Ilya Kovalchuk this year who immediately showed in Montreal that he wasn't as washed up as the Kings' coach would have had you believe. Slepyshev spent much of his last season here in the doghouse, was healthy scratched at times, and still built on his previous season's performance - but like most players who left during that time, he seemed pretty happy to leave afterwards.

Hilariously, Chiarelli remembers all of this much differently. ( https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/hockey/garrioch-former-oi lers-exec-peter-chiarelli-refreshed-after-taking-a-step-back -422671/). He thinks that the Oilers chased the dream after the playoff run and strayed from the plan. I'm not sure which move he thinks was an attempt to launch the team forward. He actually eroded the roster, removing their third highest scorer for someone who should have been projected to produce at 60% of that output. Worth noting - in that softball interview from Garrioch, Chiarelli exposes himself further as one of the worst GMs in history. He says he somehow only got a single offer on Taylor Hall - since we know that there was discussions around Cody Ceci, you have to wonder if it was Chiarelli himself dangling that as a possibility rather than Ottawa offering it. That's way worse. It means that he basically learned NOTHING from his failure around the Seguin trade, and managed to bungle this one even worse.

The Oilers had a season that definitely could have been built on in 2016-17, but the management was completely incompetent and the coaching was weak.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758131 is a reply to message #758128 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I still maintain that Chia's worst move was the Reinhart trade.

The Hall trade wasn't great because he didn't get close to enough value. I read from his interview with Garrioch he felt he needed to trade Hall to be able to hand the team over to McD. OK, fine. At least get value for him. At the time of the trade, I thought that was maybe he all could get for Hall. Larsson was and has been a decent Oiler and it wasn't like Hall's value would be sky high at the time. But after reading his interview, it sounds like that was the only trade and he didn't shop around. Why not? Even if you really liked Larsson, why wouldn't you just shop around just cause and if anything, just to try to get a better deal. When it comes time to replace a vehicle, I do my research. I usually zero in on where I am going, what ultimately I am willing to pay and what I want before I go look. But I still look around. I still look at other options and try to grind for a better deal. I don't just walk to one place, point at something and tell them to get working on the paperwork. So I don't get why he wouldn't shop around a bit. If he gets Larsson and a decent pick or decent prospect, then trade while probably not amazing isn't too bad.

But the Reinhart trade, he traded a mid round first and a second for a guy who wasn't even an NHLer. It doesn't sound like he knew a lot about him, just trusted other. OK, but he's still not in the NHL. Wouldn't you question that? It's one thing if Reinhart was on the Islanders 3rd pair, doing well in a 3rd pairing role but buried behind a bunch of other guys and your guys say "he can elevate to a top 4". He was in the AHL and it's not like the Islanders defense was filled with Norris guys. They were pretty mediocre at best. The Islanders were an eastern team so being a former eastern GM, you'd probably have at least a somewhat idea on the Islanders defense and how they are. So if they tell you go get Reinhart and they drop all his information and stats on your desk plus all the information from the Islanders defense and he's not even in the top 7 in their organization after multiple years in the AHL and he was a top 5 pick, don't you ask the question why not?

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758140 is a reply to message #758131 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 10:42

The Hall trade wasn't great because he didn't get close to enough value. I read from his interview with Garrioch he felt he needed to trade Hall to be able to hand the team over to McD. OK, fine. At least get value for him. At the time of the trade, I thought that was maybe he all could get for Hall. Larsson was and has been a decent Oiler and it wasn't like Hall's value would be sky high at the time. But after reading his interview, it sounds like that was the only trade and he didn't shop around. Why not? Even if you really liked Larsson, why wouldn't you just shop around just cause and if anything, just to try to get a better deal. When it comes time to replace a vehicle, I do my research. I usually zero in on where I am going, what ultimately I am willing to pay and what I want before I go look. But I still look around. I still look at other options and try to grind for a better deal. I don't just walk to one place, point at something and tell them to get working on the paperwork. So I don't get why he wouldn't shop around a bit. If he gets Larsson and a decent pick or decent prospect, then trade while probably not amazing isn't too bad.

But the Reinhart trade, he traded a mid round first and a second for a guy who wasn't even an NHLer. It doesn't sound like he knew a lot about him, just trusted other. OK, but he's still not in the NHL. Wouldn't you question that? It's one thing if Reinhart was on the Islanders 3rd pair, doing well in a 3rd pairing role but buried behind a bunch of other guys and your guys say "he can elevate to a top 4". He was in the AHL and it's not like the Islanders defense was filled with Norris guys. They were pretty mediocre at best. The Islanders were an eastern team so being a former eastern GM, you'd probably have at least a somewhat idea on the Islanders defense and how they are. So if they tell you go get Reinhart and they drop all his information and stats on your desk plus all the information from the Islanders defense and he's not even in the top 7 in their organization after multiple years in the AHL and he was a top 5 pick, don't you ask the question why not?

Nope. Hall trade is the worst. First overall pick and future league mvp for an no offence middle d-man. Hall was a known commodity, unlike Reinhardt and Barzal at the time. The best thing you can say about the Hall trade is that he didn’t do it for Cody Ceci.

Both trades awful, just like the Eberle and Strome deals as well as the Lucic and Russell signings. And all the goalie shenanigans. It is hard to rank all the incompetence but trading away a league mvp for cents on the dollar is the worst.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758142 is a reply to message #758140 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 12:04

Nope. Hall trade is the worst. First overall pick and future league mvp for an no offence middle d-man. Hall was a known commodity, unlike Reinhardt and Barzal at the time. The best thing you can say about the Hall trade is that he didn’t do it for Cody Ceci.

Both trades awful, just like the Eberle and Strome deals as well as the Lucic and Russell signings. And all the goalie shenanigans. It is hard to rank all the incompetence but trading away a league mvp for cents on the dollar is the worst.

I disagree. Both trades suck but the Oilers got a legit top 4 NHL dman for Hall. They got nothing in the Reinhart trade. Larsson has played 273 NHL and for the most part been decent plus he helped the Oilers make the playoffs. Reinhart played 29 BAD NHL games and was out of the league completely shortly after.

I am not saying the value for Hall was right, it wasn't but they got something for Hall and still have something to show for it. They got nothing useable for Reinhart and don't have anything to show for it.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758160 is a reply to message #758140 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 11:04

His reasoning, as revealed in the interview, makes it even worse, he needed to unload Hall for 5 cents on a toonie so McD would feel like its "his" team?
Irrational.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758162 is a reply to message #758160 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 17:03

His reasoning, as revealed in the interview, makes it even worse, he needed to unload Hall for 5 cents on a toonie so McD would feel like its "his" team?
Irrational.

Yeah, how fragile did he think McDavid was? Hall said it was McDavid's team already in the months preceding the trade and McDavid has never seemed like someone who lacks confidence.

Not to mention, that's at the end of McDavid's ROOKIE season. Most teams are looking for ways to help insulate young stars, not trying to make it only their team.

Chiarelli is just a horrible, horrible GM who wanted to have people believe that it was him that led us to victory, not just the fact we had really good players. And that led him to make atrocious mistakes.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758166 is a reply to message #758162 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 16:23

Irrational.

Yeah, how fragile did he think McDavid was? Hall said it was McDavid's team already in the months preceding the trade and McDavid has never seemed like someone who lacks confidence.

Not to mention, that's at the end of McDavid's ROOKIE season. Most teams are looking for ways to help insulate young stars, not trying to make it only their team.

Chiarelli is just a horrible, horrible GM who wanted to have people believe that it was him that led us to victory, not just the fact we had really good players. And that led him to make atrocious mistakes.

Exactly.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758170 is a reply to message #758166 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 17:37

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 16:23

Irrational.

Exactly.

Man, I really do hope he gets another GM gig though so he can completely ruin someone else's team. Maybe Vancouver? Calgary?

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758178 is a reply to message #758160 ]
Tue, 24 March 2020 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Irrational.

Yup pretty bad trade. What bothers me the most is it seems like he didn't shop around. Chia was brought in to make the team better. He decided in order to do that, he needed to trade Hall. I don't really agree with that thinking but fine. So if that is the decision, go out and get all that you can. Forget doing what is best for the team, isn't it human nature to want to get all you can to make yourself look good? Usually!!. When you are in sports and you are a manager, the nature of the position is to try and one up the other guy. It's literally like he turned that part off for awhile and just was content with getting whatever.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758910 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Thu, 09 April 2020 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So Slepychev signs for two more years and stays in Moscow.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /anton-slepyshev-rejects-edmonton-oilers-contract-offer-re-u ps-with-cska-moskva/wcm/fa5670e8-9e8e-403e-855d-9809dbba4c59 /
and.. Oilers lose his rights after its over, and he'll be NHL UFA.

Oh well, he would have plugged a hole, but leaves a door open for someone else.. hopefully better ! ..

[Updated on: Thu, 09 April 2020 14:02]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758917 is a reply to message #758910 ]
Thu, 09 April 2020 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 April 2020 13:36

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /anton-slepyshev-rejects-edmonton-oilers-contract-offer-re-u ps-with-cska-moskva/wcm/fa5670e8-9e8e-403e-855d-9809dbba4c59 /

Oh well, he would have plugged a hole, but leaves a door open for someone else.. hopefully better ! ..

From some of the comments from the media guys on twitter, it looks like the Oilers just didn't make him a compelling offer. He was able to do just as well in Russia, stay at home and make more on an after-tax basis. I don't think a lot of Russian players see the NHL as THAT much of a step up to the KHL on their priority list, so unless the dollars are better here, they're not going to move.

Makes sense - if you think about the WHA in the 1980s, it was always a less talented league, but NHL players went there because they could make more money there. It's not going to happen often that you'll get a player simply on league prestige alone...

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758941 is a reply to message #758917 ]
Fri, 10 April 2020 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 April 2020 17:10

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 April 2020 13:36

From some of the comments from the media guys on twitter, it looks like the Oilers just didn't make him a compelling offer. He was able to do just as well in Russia, stay at home and make more on an after-tax basis. I don't think a lot of Russian players see the NHL as THAT much of a step up to the KHL on their priority list, so unless the dollars are better here, they're not going to move.

Makes sense - if you think about the WHA in the 1980s, it was always a less talented league, but NHL players went there because they could make more money there. It's not going to happen often that you'll get a player simply on league prestige alone...

I think that's one reason why drafting or acquiring a Russian player has its own particular risks, the KHL is a viable option for them, its their home.
Given the choice, I think most Euros would probably rather play in North America for the same money, and maybe even a little less. From some of the stories that come out of the KHL it sounds like a bit of a wild west show, if there is a KHLPA, I doubt it carries any significant weight.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #759016 is a reply to message #758941 ]
Mon, 13 April 2020 17:07 Go to previous message

3 Cups

I like the fact that Holland did his due diligence and offers Slep a deal. I REALLY like is the fact that by all accounts they offered him what I assume was a fair deal to pay while promising, a not established bottom 6 guy. The big thing is he didn't go Chia and overpay just to get a guy to come. I don't blame Slep for sniffing around to see if the Oilers would throw too much money at him. That was their MO before. But if your are Slep and you can make the same or slightly more money in Russian which means you don't have to move and you are closer to home. The big thing is if while playing in the NHL would be great, your ultimate goal in life is to make a decent wage playing hockeywhy would you leave the KHL?

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca