This day on March 19
Acquired: Bobby Allen (2002) Mike York (2002)
Departed: Sean Brown (2002) Rem Murray (2002) Tom Poti (2002)

Happy Birthday To: duffin06, JPro, burkesajoker, arc131, dumpNchase, RollercoasterRider, EpicallyFaithful

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, StromePages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716740 is a reply to message #716739 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:04

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:00

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 10:00

Daftmonk wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 09:57

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 09:49

Strome re-upped for 2 years. Haven't seen a $ value yet, but I'm guessing somewhere around $3.5

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-sign-strome/c -299426998

Looks like $6.2M for 2 years, $3.1M AAV

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

eh..... Chia musta contracted out this negotiation.

icon_lol The Strome contract is actually pretty decent. 100K over qualifying on a 2 yr deal. Considering Jenner just signed for 4 yrs at 3.75 mill which I think is high and I just read an article written by McCurdy that Stromes numbers and Jenners numbers are virtually identical (Strome has 5 less games and 2 less points), I think Chia did a good job with this one.

...wonder who was saying yesterday..."I personally think you are paying too much money for Strome if he is more than 3."...

I would prefer Strome be under 3 mill personally but I want every player to come in cheaper than they usually are. But as I said and qualified my response with, considering Jenner just signed for 3.75 mill yesterday and they are virtually the same player, 3.1 mill is pretty good. By the looks of things, the Oilers just saved themselves 650K for a player who will probably put up similar numbers to Jenner. Is there something wrong with that?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716741 is a reply to message #716740 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 10:08

I would prefer Strome be under 3 mill personally but I want every player to come in cheaper than they usually are. But as I said and qualified my response with, considering Jenner just signed for 3.75 mill yesterday and they are virtually the same player, 3.1 mill is pretty good. By the looks of things, the Oilers just saved themselves 650K for a player who will probably put up similar numbers to Jenner. Is there something wrong with that?

The one caveat being that the Blue Jackets bought 2 years (I think), of UFA with that contract for Jenner, and the Oilers only bought RFA years. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as I don't think Strome is ever going to blossom into a 'core' piece that is irreplaceable, but UFA years are generally more expensive.

edit: meaning that, just based on inflation alone, if the Oilers want to re-sign Strome in 2 years, the number will likely be at or over $4M.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716742 is a reply to message #716741 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:22

The one caveat being that the Blue Jackets bought 2 years (I think), of UFA with that contract for Jenner, and the Oilers only bought RFA years. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as I don't think Strome is ever going to blossom into a 'core' piece that is irreplaceable, but UFA years are generally more expensive.

I guess so when it comes to Jenner but it doesn't change that I still think the Jackets are overpaying for a 35 pt player and the Oilers just saved themselves 650K for the same production. Plus at 2 years, I am hoping when the contract is up, the Oilers will have a cheaper guy they developed taking his spot. Like a Marody or someone else.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716744 is a reply to message #716742 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 10:26

Plus at 2 years, I am hoping when the contract is up, the Oilers will have a cheaper guy they developed taking his spot. Like a Marody or someone else.

Ya, 100% agree with this. I think they should be treating their entire bottom 6 with this approach. No 4-5 year deals for guys that are relatively easily replaceable.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716745 is a reply to message #716744 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:31

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 10:26

Plus at 2 years, I am hoping when the contract is up, the Oilers will have a cheaper guy they developed taking his spot. Like a Marody or someone else.

Ya, 100% agree with this. I think they should be treating their entire bottom 6 with this approach. No 4-5 year deals for guys that are relatively easily replaceable.

With the league seemingly going towards the stars making massive money, the days of bottom 6 guys making decent money will be coming to an end simply because teams will have no choice. They will have to pay big bucks to keep 3 or 4 good top 6 forwards, pay big bucks to have 2 or 3 really good dmen, then fill out the rest of the lineup with lower paid guys or young players on ELC's.

I will be interested to see what happens with the Leafs a year from now. They signed Tavares to 11 mill. I think that is too much for him and they will live to regret it in the near future but it's done. When Matthews comes up, I have to think the Leafs can't start any lower than 11. So what is he going to get given he won't be even in his prime years and the cap will probably go up again. 12 maybe 13? Evander Kane had 54 pts, after having 43 and 35 in buffalo and got 7 mill. What will Marner get next year? He had 62 pts, then 69. Leafs would have to start with at least 7 I would think and probably settle on 8 or 9?

It wouldn't shock me if at the start of the 19-20 season, the Leafs have over 30 mill in Tavares, Matthews and Marner.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2018 11:46]

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716743 is a reply to message #716741 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

edit: meaning that, just based on inflation alone, if the Oilers want to re-sign Strome in 2 years, the number will likely be at or over $4M.

Yep, this was the missing fact in all comparisons of Jenner and Strome.

I am very happy with this contract. Strome is an acceptable player and is being paid for what he is, a #3 C. If he gets better he will get more, whether from the Oilers or from a trade. If he doesn't it is still a break even deal in my opinion.

Good job Chia, my glass is still half full.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716747 is a reply to message #716743 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:29

I am very happy with this contract. Strome is an acceptable player and is being paid for what he is, a #3 C. If he gets better he will get more, whether from the Oilers or from a trade. If he doesn't it is still a break even deal in my opinion.

Five years from now, you may be regretting this post... icon_biggrin

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716749 is a reply to message #716747 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:40

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 11:29

Five years from now, you may be regretting this post... icon_biggrin

Screw the future. Live in the now.
Good signing!

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716750 is a reply to message #716730 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 10:00

Daftmonk wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 09:57

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 09:49

Strome re-upped for 2 years. Haven't seen a $ value yet, but I'm guessing somewhere around $3.5

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-sign-strome/c -299426998

Looks like $6.2M for 2 years, $3.1M AAV

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

eh..... Chia musta contracted out this negotiation.

Not unhappy with this signing - I don't think there was much better they could hope for on this...but I did think when I saw it that Chia's now only one single step from the cabin. I would predict that after he signs Nurse, you won't hear anything from the Oilers until late August as they all turn out the lights on their Kingsway office and go sit in the Okanagan sipping mai tais.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716792 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Sun, 08 July 2018 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mad90  is currently offline mad90

No Cups

Curious how much Nurse gets now, Colin Miller of Vegas signed for 4 years for $3.875 million per, Miller had over 40 points last season, can't see the Oilers signing Nurse for more then that but PC is GM so I guess anything is possible.

I would hope for a 3 year bridge deal for Nurse, then his contract would expire at the same time as RNH, Sekera, Larsson and Russell. Summer of 2021 will be interesting as almost $20 million comes off the books.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716918 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I must have not paid enough attention last season. I had no idea Nurse put up 26 ES points, that's right on the edge of the top 30 in the NHL for D. Only 3 guys were ahead of him in that category that got no PP time like he does, Braun, Manson, Niskanen (guys their team don't view as top offensive tools, but they still manage to produce at ES).

For the first time, I'm actually a bit concerned about an offer sheet :) I doubt he would bail on the Oilers like that, but he might be getting some nice material from other teams for this negotiation.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 July 2018 10:37]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716924 is a reply to message #716918 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 10:13

I must have not paid enough attention last season. I had no idea Nurse put up 26 ES points, that's right on the edge of the top 30 in the NHL for D. Only 3 guys were ahead of him in that category that got no PP time like he does, Braun, Manson, Niskanen (guys their team don't view as top offensive tools, but they still manage to produce at ES).

For the first time, I'm actually a bit concerned about an offer sheet :) I doubt he would bail on the Oilers like that, but he might be getting some nice material from other teams for this negotiation.

This question is a little off topic - it seems like special teams was one of the main reasons the Oilers were terrible - If the Oilers had a middle of the pack PP and PK (let’s say they were 15th in both categories) how many more total points do you think that would have added to the standings? Can it be roughly calculated with GF and GA? Would they have been in the playoff hunt just based on special teams?

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716934 is a reply to message #716924 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 10:59

This question is a little off topic - it seems like special teams was one of the main reasons the Oilers were terrible - If the Oilers had a middle of the pack PP and PK (let’s say they were 15th in both categories) how many more total points do you think that would have added to the standings? Can it be roughly calculated with GF and GA? Would they have been in the playoff hunt just based on special teams?

Nothing to support it, but my guess is they'd have been there like Cowtown in the conversation for wildcard in the last week of the season, at the very least.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716936 is a reply to message #716934 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 11:55

Nothing to support it, but my guess is they'd have been there like Cowtown in the conversation for wildcard in the last week of the season, at the very least.

Yeah, so many moving parts to a season. Better PKing would have meant we were getting much better goaltending, which would have changed more than just special teams. How scary is it for players knowing that any penalty you take has a 50/50 shot of ending up in your net. That completely changes how guys play. And a PP that wasn't a constant momentum killer would have some effect on ES play as well.

Just so much wrong with this last season...just really hope we don't have to see crap like that again for a while. 50% home PK more than half way through a season...seriously...sigh.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 July 2018 12:01]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716949 is a reply to message #716936 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 11:58

Yeah, so many moving parts to a season. Better PKing would have meant we were getting much better goaltending, which would have changed more than just special teams. How scary is it for players knowing that any penalty you take has a 50/50 shot of ending up in your net. That completely changes how guys play. And a PP that wasn't a constant momentum killer would have some effect on ES play as well.

Just so much wrong with this last season...just really hope we don't have to see crap like that again for a while. 50% home PK more than half way through a season...seriously...sigh.

100% on the bolded, and it was frustrating why by appearances they weren't adjusting systemically, just stubborn. There was definitely some shoddy goaltending last year....How many games did the 1st or 2nd shot against go in at ES? Had to have been some kind of record, and you're immediately chasing the game.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716951 is a reply to message #716949 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 17:17

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 11:58

100% on the bolded, and it was frustrating why by appearances they weren't adjusting systemically, just stubborn. There was definitely some shoddy goaltending last year....How many games did the 1st or 2nd shot against go in at ES? Had to have been some kind of record, and you're immediately chasing the game.

Not even just by appearances they weren't changing the system - McLellan said a couple of times that they weren't changing it and that he didn't believe it was the problem - said player execution was the issue...

Very stubborn, and if you have consistent execution issues, to me that points to some systemic issues. It became startlingly clear the last couple of years just how those great San Jose teams found ways to lose so often.

And it suggests enduring troubles in any future playoffs. A guy that won't tweak a clearly failing PK for months is going to struggle to make the in-game and in-series adjustments that come with a seven-game series.

As long as McLellan is behind the bench, the team is likely to get outcoached rather often.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716938 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

It's just what the Oilers are banking on. Hiring Yawney and Gulutzan, adding PK'ers Reider and Brodziak. Talbot plays even a little bit better I think the Oilers are in Playoff contention.

It's not as doom and gloom as it seems. See, I'm optimistic.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716940 is a reply to message #716938 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 12:37

It's just what the Oilers are banking on. Hiring Yawney and Gulutzan, adding PK'ers Reider and Brodziak. Talbot plays even a little bit better I think the Oilers are in Playoff contention.

Don't feel bad. They trick some of us each year. I bet a Leaf fan we'd get further in the playoffs than them last season.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716942 is a reply to message #716940 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 12:42

Don't feel bad. They trick some of us each year. I bet a Leaf fan we'd get further in the playoffs than them last season.

Did you get out of that bet even on a technicality? Neither team won a playoff series :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716953 is a reply to message #716942 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 12:55

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 12:42

Did you get out of that bet even on a technicality? Neither team won a playoff series :)

Nah, the fine print explicitly stated number of games won. He got his case of beer.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716947 is a reply to message #716938 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Being "in playoff contention" at the start of the season when you have a McDavid is not good enough... not even close. Any team that has a generational player should be "in cup contention" at the start of every season. Anything less than that is a managerial failure.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716948 is a reply to message #716947 ]
Wed, 11 July 2018 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 16:12

Being "in playoff contention" at the start of the season when you have a McDavid is not good enough... not even close. Any team that has a generational player should be "in cup contention" at the start of every season. Anything less than that is a managerial failure.

That failure kinda already happened though. The only option now is to wait for "The Pan" to work out.

Team is not a move or 2 (that can be done in summer) away from being a true contender. Lack the assets, not to mention the managerial skill. Even a top end manager stepping in though, not sure they would have a choice aside from waiting for more building of assets via the draft and waiting for the cap to go up.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 July 2018 17:11]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716961 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Thu, 12 July 2018 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/nhl-edmonton-oilers-darnell-nurse-not-interested-in-long-t erm-contract/wcm/0a5d1ede-2a4c-4f54-a208-2fa6b83311e6?video_ autoplay=true

Nurse's agent says the 5M of space we have left is clearly not enough for a long term deal for Nurse, hehe.

Also makes this comment:

"They bought out Eric Gryba to add another player (50-man protected list) which cut into their cap"

Matheson adds in that 50-man protected list comment to try to excuse Chia, but we all know that doesn't matter, we weren't near 50, and we don't need to be near 50. Entertaining to see Nurse's agent plainly said that was a cap hurting move, needless gryba buyout.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716962 is a reply to message #716961 ]
Thu, 12 July 2018 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 12 July 2018 18:43

Also makes this comment:

"They bought out Eric Gryba to add another player (50-man protected list) which cut into their cap"

Matheson adds in that 50-man protected list comment to try to excuse Chia, but we all know that doesn't matter, we weren't near 50, and we don't need to be near 50. Entertaining to see Nurse's agent plainly said that was a cap hurting move, needless gryba buyout.

Also signed Keegan Lowe and signed Kevin Gravel, arguably neither better, cheaper, nor counting against the 50-man cap. No excuses, Jim.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716984 is a reply to message #716962 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 12 July 2018 20:40

Also makes this comment:

Also signed Keegan Lowe and signed Kevin Gravel, arguably neither better, cheaper, nor counting against the 50-man cap. No excuses, Jim.

Priorities were buggered up with PC. Seems to me that you get the deals that really matter done first, then you know what your budget is in terms of the secondary business. These smaller deals (among other cap gaffes by PC that he has to face today) have severely constrained PC in a longer term deal for a bigger piece. Does it damage the relationship with the player and his agent as well?

I might be wrong, but I don't see any deals that would offer PC cap relief that either don't involve a bad contract coming back, OR involving a player that the Oilers need going out the door. Lucic, Sekera, Russell (depending on what your opinion on Russell's deal is) aren't going anywhere.....and if PC is considering trading excellent players like LD and RNH for cap relief and not as part of a marked improvement to the team, he should be fired before he can consummate any such deals.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716967 is a reply to message #716961 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/nhl-edmonton-oilers-darnell-nurse-not-interested-in-long-t erm-contract/wcm/0a5d1ede-2a4c-4f54-a208-2fa6b83311e6?video_ autoplay=true

Nurse's agent says the 5M of space we have left is clearly not enough for a long term deal for Nurse, hehe.

Also makes this comment:

...another confusing quote from the article....

..." The list of possible depth forwards out there includes Scottie Upshall, Drew Stafford, Lance Bouma, Nick Shore and Jason Chimera. But they might just invite some forwards to camp on tryouts and see what happens instead …"...

...wasn't Chimera signed by the Oilers???...

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716971 is a reply to message #716967 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 06:56

Also makes this comment:

..." The list of possible depth forwards out there includes Scottie Upshall, Drew Stafford, Lance Bouma, Nick Shore and Jason Chimera. But they might just invite some forwards to camp on tryouts and see what happens instead …"...

Nope. There was speculation that he could be a guy they'd look at, but he hasn't been signed.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716973 is a reply to message #716971 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....for some reason, I was mixing up Chimera with Brodziak....

....stupid decaff coffee....(gotta blame something)..... icon_dead icon_dead icon_dead

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716974 is a reply to message #716973 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 07:55

....for some reason, I was mixing up Chimera with Brodziak....

....stupid decaff coffee....(gotta blame something)..... icon_dead icon_dead icon_dead

In fairness to you, there are a lot of ex-Oilers out there and it can be hard to keep all the recycling separated.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716972 is a reply to message #716967 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also makes this comment:

Thought Matheson tweeted a while back that he was done with his Stafford to Oilers suggestions. Just can't help himself :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #717032 is a reply to message #716972 ]
Mon, 16 July 2018 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 07:54

Also makes this comment:

Thought Matheson tweeted a while back that he was done with his Stafford to Oilers suggestions. Just can't help himself :)

Lol. Was just thinking that. He probably forgot he said that about 30 seconds after he tweeted it.

I'm fairly confident that he will be pushing for Drew Stafford years after he has retired.

You know...because he's senile. And stupid.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #717033 is a reply to message #717032 ]
Mon, 16 July 2018 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Mon, 16 July 2018 15:59

Also makes this comment:

Lol. Was just thinking that. He probably forgot he said that about 30 seconds after he tweeted it.

I'm fairly confident that he will be pushing for Drew Stafford years after he has retired.

There are lots of Edmonton media I can't stand. I think Terry Jones is a pompous ass who thinks he's as big and important as anyone he covers. I think Spector is lazy and a pretty terrible writer for someone paid to write. Rishaug is just a waterboy.

But I've always had time for Jim Matheson. I always thought he was the best beat writer back in the day, and on the couple times I ever looked to interact with him, he always wrote back promptly and responded.

But I do think he's past his prime now. He seems unaware that a quick internet search can save him a lot of backlash on tweets, and he's constantly undereducated on cap issues. His ideas of player value are baffling to say the least, and he's allowed his long friendships with Oilers management to prevent him from ever being critical of them.

I really wish he'd hang them up now. I don't think he adds much of interest any more, and the mishmash Journal/Sun organization could probably hire three young writers for what they pay each of him and Jones. There's a desperate need for some new blood covering this team.

I do wonder who the Athletic is likely to announce as their Edmonton hire...

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #717090 is a reply to message #717033 ]
Wed, 18 July 2018 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 16 July 2018 16:23

Jay wrote on Mon, 16 July 2018 15:59

Also makes this comment:

There are lots of Edmonton media I can't stand. I think Terry Jones is a pompous ass who thinks he's as big and important as anyone he covers. I think Spector is lazy and a pretty terrible writer for someone paid to write. Rishaug is just a waterboy.

But I've always had time for Jim Matheson. I always thought he was the best beat writer back in the day, and on the couple times I ever looked to interact with him, he always wrote back promptly and responded.

But I do think he's past his prime now. He seems unaware that a quick internet search can save him a lot of backlash on tweets, and he's constantly undereducated on cap issues. His ideas of player value are baffling to say the least, and he's allowed his long friendships with Oilers management to prevent him from ever being critical of them.

I really wish he'd hang them up now. I don't think he adds much of interest any more, and the mishmash Journal/Sun organization could probably hire three young writers for what they pay each of him and Jones. There's a desperate need for some new blood covering this team.

I do wonder who the Athletic is likely to announce as their Edmonton hire...

Well, Terry Jones 'is' big, just not that important (sorry for the bodyshaming, but I don't think Terry gives a fark). Anyway, when sportswriters were pretty much the only conduit we had to the team, they were important. Now....yeah, some guys are connected and more connected than others, but information now is so prevalent that these guys are much less relevant. Honestly the only reason I'd read or listen to Terry Jones or Matheson these days, or Spector...is if they've got an interesting story to tell, or an applicable bit of insight. I think the expectations are pretty low in this era.

Old guy talking - I used to look to Stan Fischler and others in the Hockey News, you know, everyone had to have the insight going into their regular season or playoff hockey pools. No talking heads on TSN or RSN then. Those days are over, and the old beat reporters are just playing out string.

Really, Rishaug is kind of a joke, not his fault though that people will pay him to do what he does - because he's got no history, not really any interesting anecdotes, and no more insight than most of the people you'd find on a message board, despite his access. Maybe in 20 years, sure.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716985 is a reply to message #716961 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Also makes this comment:

Regardless of if the Oilers had cap space or not, I wouldn't sign Nurse long term right now. I would want to know what he is before I commit long term. If he was willing to take a long term deal at Klefbom money, then I would take that in a heartbeat but no way he does. What I do know is I am pretty sure Nurse is a really good skating, defensive, top 4 dman who is tough, physical, nasty, can move the puck a bit, rush the puck a bit but doesn't have the offensive abilities to warrant anything higher than a number that starts with a 4. I am sure the Nurse camp thinks he is going to be worth something in the 5's or higher but they don't have the numbers right now to back that up. So they are gambling on him to improve offensively. I'm expecting a 2 yr deal that starts with a 3, probably low 3's. After 2 years, if Nurse is everything I described plus bring some decent offense and you have to pay him 6 or more, great. That means the Oilers got one hell of a dman. But if he continues being what he showed this year, you should be paying him 5 or less.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 July 2018 10:58]

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716986 is a reply to message #716985 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 10:55

Also makes this comment:

Regardless of if the Oilers had cap space or not, I wouldn't sign Nurse long term right now. I would want to know what he is before I commit long term. If he was willing to take a long term deal at Klefbom money, then I would take that in a heartbeat but no way he does. What I do know is I am pretty sure Nurse is a really good skating, defensive, top 4 dman who is tough, physical, nasty, can move the puck a bit, rush the puck a bit but doesn't have the offensive abilities to warrant anything higher than a number that starts with a 4. I am sure the Nurse camp thinks he is going to be worth something in the 5's or higher but they don't have the numbers right now to back that up. So they are gambling on him to improve offensively.

Yeah, I really have a hard time seeing any downside to a 2 year bridge with Nurse. That should come in around 3.3M or so. That helps weather the storm in the next couple years dealing with the cap hell. I really can't see him becoming a mainstay on the PP in the next 2 years, so that should limit him to max 25-35 points a season, so he's not going to get some crazy numbers to negotiate with next summer or the one after. Long term now probably costs 5M at least.

If he has a couple more ~30 point seasons, what would really be the max he could ask long term? Maybe 6? Assuming some salary inflation. If he struggles for a year within the next 2, he's probably still down around 5 long term. Not really seeing any crazy risk here with a bridge.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #716989 is a reply to message #716986 ]
Fri, 13 July 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 11:01

Yeah, I really have a hard time seeing any downside to a 2 year bridge with Nurse. That should come in around 3.3M or so. That helps weather the storm in the next couple years dealing with the cap hell. I really can't see him becoming a mainstay on the PP in the next 2 years, so that should limit him to max 25-35 points a season, so he's not going to get some crazy numbers to negotiate with next summer or the one after. Long term now probably costs 5M at least.

If he has a couple more ~30 point seasons, what would really be the max he could ask long term? Maybe 6? Assuming some salary inflation. If he struggles for a year within the next 2, he's probably still down around 5 long term. Not really seeing any crazy risk here with a bridge.

What worries me is the why of all this. Nurse's agent decided to give an interview to a local scribe where he's specifically critical of a couple of Chia's moves, and rules out signing a long-term deal with the team based on cap management.

I understand Oilers management making comments in the press, because they aren't smart enough to know when they should and shouldn't be talking. But you don't get a lot out of agents often. They're rarely critical of management and they rarely say anything on the record.

This seems designed to put some pressure on the Oilers. I would have thought that if there was a $3.5MM bridge deal to be done, then the Oilers would have signed it and shut down Kingsway and headed to the cabin already. This to me suggests that they've been trying to convince Nurse to sign a Klefbom-like deal and the agent has been pooh-poohing that.

It does seem a little concerning that the agent is so upfront running down the Koskinen deal and the Gryba buy-out. I wonder how much concern there is amongst the players and their representatives about the mismanagement of this team at this point?

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #717026 is a reply to message #716989 ]
Mon, 16 July 2018 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 11:25

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 July 2018 11:01

What worries me is the why of all this. Nurse's agent decided to give an interview to a local scribe where he's specifically critical of a couple of Chia's moves, and rules out signing a long-term deal with the team based on cap management.

I understand Oilers management making comments in the press, because they aren't smart enough to know when they should and shouldn't be talking. But you don't get a lot out of agents often. They're rarely critical of management and they rarely say anything on the record.

This seems designed to put some pressure on the Oilers. I would have thought that if there was a $3.5MM bridge deal to be done, then the Oilers would have signed it and shut down Kingsway and headed to the cabin already. This to me suggests that they've been trying to convince Nurse to sign a Klefbom-like deal and the agent has been pooh-poohing that.

It does seem a little concerning that the agent is so upfront running down the Koskinen deal and the Gryba buy-out. I wonder how much concern there is amongst the players and their representatives about the mismanagement of this team at this point?

I think it's flat out stupid for the agent to be running his mouth like he is. As I said, regardless of the moves the Oilers have made that the agent doesn't like, unless Nurse was willing to agree to Klefbom money, even if the Oilers had several millions more in cap space, I still wouldn't sign Nurse to a long term deal. Right now, Nurse is not worth 5 or 6 mill that maybe he thinks his client is worth. Miller in Vegas who just signed for 3.875 mill on a 3 yr deal, who has better offensive numbers, proved Nurse isn't worth even that much money right now.

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #717289 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Sat, 28 July 2018 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This is one Nurse's agent probably likes:

Chris Johnston @reporterchris

Brady Skjei and the #NYR avoid salary arbitration by agreeing to a six-year deal.

Skjei's AAV is $5.25M.

Nurse probably had a better season than Skjei. Skjei had a better season the year before. Both guys coming off their ELC.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758109 is a reply to message #716161 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I was watching the sportsnet replay of the Oilers vs Sharks 2017 playoff game (#5) last night .. where Deharnais scores the OT winner, quite a flashback!

One thing I wanted to focus on was Slepychev, due to the chatter about maybe he's looking at coming back next year.. It was interesting.. the guy has good speed, heavy on the puck (solid dude), and can make plays.. he was better than I remembered, certainly better than some of the other guys on today's lineup. Hope he comes to camp and gives it a go.

Larsson looked more mobile back then, he's had back issues, wonder if that's his problem now, he looks stiff and upright when he skates.

Biggest hit of the game was McD on Sorensen, open ice, rocked him!

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758110 is a reply to message #758109 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 12:29

I was watching the sportsnet replay of the Oilers vs Sharks 2017 playoff game (#5) last night .. where Deharnais scores the OT winner, quite a flashback!

One thing I wanted to focus on was Slepychev, due to the chatter about maybe he's looking at coming back next year.. It was interesting.. the guy has good speed, heavy on the puck (solid dude), and can make plays.. he was better than I remembered, certainly better than some of the other guys on today's lineup. Hope he comes to camp and gives it a go.

Larsson looked more mobile back then, he's had back issues, wonder if that's his problem now, he looks stiff and upright when he skates.

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

Watched it last night too. Was pretty great, though made me miss the current, suspended, season. That line of Maroon-Letestu-Kassian was heavy as heck. Had Sekera not been injured in that Anaheim series (dang you Getzlaf) then I think that the Oilers seriously could have went deeper. That team had no depth on D however. Also, 2017 Talbot was dang good.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome [message #758111 is a reply to message #758110 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 11:41

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 12:29

Lines were;

Caggiula McDavid LD

Lucic RNH Eberle

Watched it last night too. Was pretty great, though made me miss the current, suspended, season. That line of Maroon-Letestu-Kassian was heavy as heck. Had Sekera not been injured in that Anaheim series (dang you Getzlaf) then I think that the Oilers seriously could have went deeper. That team had no depth on D however. Also, 2017 Talbot was dang good.

Thought the same thing, Sekera was a main ingredient on that D, and they had a young Benning playing regular minutes with Nurse.. if they had Sekera they could have gone really deep.

Letestu was another guy that looked good in comparison to what we have now, not a bad 3rd line, Maroon Letestu Kassian. 4th line was Pouliot Desharnais, and Sleepychev.

Bottom 6 weren't actually that bad..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca