This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan BouchardPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718445 is a reply to message #718443 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 10:03

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 08:29

I think Bouchard will go to Europe and play 9 games then sent back to junior to ultimately be on the World Juniors. I think the Oilers do like they did with Yamo and slow play those 9 games so Bouchard can be around the team for a while, watch the NHL games, practice a ton with NHLers, be around the coaches, the training staff, all their skills coaches. Get first hand knowledge of what it takes to be an NHLer that he won't get from a junior team. I have always been a guy who believes that there is a flaw in the CHL system not allowing players like Bouchard who are clearly too good for the CHL to go play in the minors. It has nothing to do with player development, it has everything to do with MONEY for the CHL. Having guys like Bouchard on a CHL team makes the team more money because he is a name.

Bouchard has 3 years of junior under his belt, he was a dominate player in the CHL. He's bigger, stronger and flat out better than probably 3/4 of the players on his team and arguable 3/4 of the players in the OHL. He needs to learn how to play and process the game at the pro level, he needs to learn how to play against men. How does he learn to play and process the game at the pro level playing junior hockey when most of the players coming at him are guys who junior hockey is the highlight of their hockey career. The Oilers rookies beat the hell out of a college all star team last night. A lot of the junior hockey guys he will go up against if he plays junior will end up on a team like NAIT who he dominates for fun. Bouchard is already 193 so he probably has 15-20 lbs on the majority of the league. How does he learn how much strength it takes to battle a pro guy in front of the net when he is going up against a 175 lbs 17 yr old who needs at least 3 yrs of fulling out. So while I think he should ultimately go back to junior because unfortunately playing in the AHL isn't allowed for him, I see a ton of value in giving him a few games in the NHL so he gets first hand experience what it takes.

Isn't it CHL or NHL for Bouchard this year? I think that is the part that leads to the debate on what's best for his development. How much will he learn destroying kids for another year? Will they keep running him into the ground with 30 mins a night so he has no energy to spend giving 100% in his own end? How much can we destroy his confidence in the NHL throwing him to the wolves?

At the least in the CHL he has a shot at winning something as a leader on a stacked team.

It is the CHL or NHL for him because he's not old enough thanks to the rules the CHL has in place to go to the minors.

I completely agree with you. I don't like the idea of throwing an 19 yr old playing his first year of pro hockey to the wolves in the NHL anymore than the 9 games. At the same time, I don't think he develops anymore by as you said it destroying kids every night. I got to watch Phaneuf as a 19/20 yr old play in Red Deer when the lock out was going. It was stupid. He barely came off the ice, he would absolute crush guys physically because he was so much bigger than the majority. He would go end to end whenever he wanted because no one could handle him. He just pushed all these kids aside defensively. He scored 24 goals because the majority of the goalies weren't capable of stopping his shot. On a lot of nights, he barely had to try because most of the players he was up against were way smaller and flat out not good enough to challenge him. He was a man against boys and I can't see how he got any better because of it. I could see it being the exact same thing with Bouchard. It's too bad they have that rule in place.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718446 is a reply to message #718445 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 10:14

I think Bouchard will go to Europe and play 9 games then sent back to junior to ultimately be on the World Juniors. I think the Oilers do like they did with Yamo and slow play those 9 games so Bouchard can be around the team for a while, watch the NHL games, practice a ton with NHLers, be around the coaches, the training staff, all their skills coaches. Get first hand knowledge of what it takes to be an NHLer that he won't get from a junior team. I have always been a guy who believes that there is a flaw in the CHL system not allowing players like Bouchard who are clearly too good for the CHL to go play in the minors. It has nothing to do with player development, it has everything to do with MONEY for the CHL. Having guys like Bouchard on a CHL team makes the team more money because he is a name.

Bouchard has 3 years of junior under his belt, he was a dominate player in the CHL. He's bigger, stronger and flat out better than probably 3/4 of the players on his team and arguable 3/4 of the players in the OHL. He needs to learn how to play and process the game at the pro level, he needs to learn how to play against men. How does he learn to play and process the game at the pro level playing junior hockey when most of the players coming at him are guys who junior hockey is the highlight of their hockey career. The Oilers rookies beat the hell out of a college all star team last night. A lot of the junior hockey guys he will go up against if he plays junior will end up on a team like NAIT who he dominates for fun. Bouchard is already 193 so he probably has 15-20 lbs on the majority of the league. How does he learn how much strength it takes to battle a pro guy in front of the net when he is going up against a 175 lbs 17 yr old who needs at least 3 yrs of fulling out. So while I think he should ultimately go back to junior because unfortunately playing in the AHL isn't allowed for him, I see a ton of value in giving him a few games in the NHL so he gets first hand experience what it takes.

Isn't it CHL or NHL for Bouchard this year? I think that is the part that leads to the debate on what's best for his development. How much will he learn destroying kids for another year? Will they keep running him into the ground with 30 mins a night so he has no energy to spend giving 100% in his own end? How much can we destroy his confidence in the NHL throwing him to the wolves?

At the least in the CHL he has a shot at winning something as a leader on a stacked team.

It is the CHL or NHL for him because he's not old enough thanks to the rules the CHL has in place to go to the minors.

I completely agree with you. I don't like the idea of throwing an 19 yr old playing his first year of pro hockey to the wolves in the NHL anymore than the 9 games. At the same time, I don't think he develops anymore by as you said it destroying kids every night. I got to watch Phaneuf as a 19/20 yr old play in Red Deer when the lock out was going. It was stupid. He barely came off the ice, he would absolute crush guys physically because he was so much bigger than the majority. He would go end to end whenever he wanted because no one could handle him. He just pushed all these kids aside defensively. He scored 24 goals because the majority of the goalies weren't capable of stopping his shot. On a lot of nights, he barely had to try because most of the players he was up against were way smaller and flat out not good enough to challenge him. He was a man against boys and I can't see how he got any better because of it. I could see it being the exact same thing with Bouchard. It's too bad they have that rule in place.

I just realised I misunderstood your post :) Thought you were saying he's going to Europe to play in a Swiss league or something, but you were just talking about the early season in the NHL. That actually would have been awesome for his development if it was allowed, like Matthews did.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718447 is a reply to message #718446 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 10:21

I just realised I misunderstood your post :) Thought you were saying he's going to Europe to play in a Swiss league or something, but you were just talking about the early season in the NHL. That actually would have been awesome for his development if it was allowed, like Matthews did.

Any pro hockey other than throwing him in the deep end in the NHL would be better than junior in my opinion.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718453 is a reply to message #718447 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 10:28

Any pro hockey other than throwing him in the deep end in the NHL would be better than junior in my opinion.

Yup 100%.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718454 is a reply to message #718453 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 13:21

Yup 100%.

What about the Oilers, what's best for the team in terms of wins and loses?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718521 is a reply to message #718454 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 13:49

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 13:21

Yup 100%.

What about the Oilers, what's best for the team in terms of wins and loses?

This year, or in a year or two? It's a longer game for D development, theoretically at least. Moot point anyway, it's junior or the Oilers.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718469 is a reply to message #718443 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

How much did it hurt Shea Weber or PK Subban to go back, play CHL and World Juniors and wait another year to make the league? Is there any other team who’s played their first round picks for the minimum 9 games more than the Oilers? Even Nurse got a couple games. I’m pretty sure it’s more about selling hope for the future (look how close he is to being an NHL player!) than it is about the players development.

And I can’t think watching NHL games (like Yamamoto did for almost half his time here last year) is as useful for development as actually playing in the CHL. Good teams don’t keep players who aren’t ready hanging around the lineup as showcase pieces for their fans. Bouchard shouldn’t be on the NHL team this year...but he will be for a little while because Oilers...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718475 is a reply to message #718469 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 16:04

How much did it hurt Shea Weber or PK Subban to go back, play CHL and World Juniors and wait another year to make the league? Is there any other team who’s played their first round picks for the minimum 9 games more than the Oilers? Even Nurse got a couple games. I’m pretty sure it’s more about selling hope for the future (look how close he is to being an NHL player!) than it is about the players development.

And I can’t think watching NHL games (like Yamamoto did for almost half his time here last year) is as useful for development as actually playing in the CHL. Good teams don’t keep players who aren’t ready hanging around the lineup as showcase pieces for their fans. Bouchard shouldn’t be on the NHL team this year...but he will be for a little while because Oilers...

Subban and Weber were second round picks.

Pietrangelo played 8 games his first year after getting drafted and 9 games the following year. Did the few NHL games he got hurt him? he was 4th overall.
Burns played 35 games his first year right after being drafted 20th.

I can find more if you want. I get you dislike the Oilers management but saying this is just an Oilers thing by giving players drafted high a few NHL regular season games is simply not true what so ever.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2018 16:20]

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718476 is a reply to message #718475 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 16:17

Pietrangelo played 8 games his first year after getting drafted and 9 games the following year. Did the few NHL games he got hurt him? he was 4th overall.

I can find more if you want. I get you dislike the Oilers but saying this is just an Oilers thing is a lie.

I think it is fair to say Weber and Subban were both late bloomers. They needed that extra time to get to the tier of performer that Bouchard was last year. Actually, neither guy actually did that, even with 2 extra years.

Every guy does develop at their own pace in the end. And players that are great, there isn't much that will stop them anyways, as long as they are getting support and are allowed to figure things out.

Odds are certainly against Bouchard making any impact in the NHL this year though, almost no one has done it in his situation.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2018 16:35]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718478 is a reply to message #718476 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 16:21

I can find more if you want. I get you dislike the Oilers but saying this is just an Oilers thing is a lie.

I think it is fair to say Weber and Subban were both late bloomers. They needed that extra time to get to the their of performer that Bouchard was last year. Actually, neither guy actually did that, even with 2 extra years.

Every guy does develop at their own pace in the end. And players that are great, there isn't much that will stop them anyways, as long as they are getting support and are allowed to figure things out.

Odds are certainly against Bouchard making any impact in the NHL this year though, almost no one has done it in his situation.

I agree, every player is different. Seth Jones played the whole year right after being drafted, Cam Fowler was a 12th and played the whole season after his draft. It didn't hurt any of them. I am not advocating to play Bouchard the whole season. In fact I said they should send him back to junior but to imply that playing him in a few real NHL games to give him a taste is something only the Oilers would do implying it's stupid is flat out untrue. LOTS of teams do it every year and it's not just the teams deemed as bad organizations.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718656 is a reply to message #718478 ]
Mon, 17 September 2018 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 16:31

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 16:21

I think it is fair to say Weber and Subban were both late bloomers. They needed that extra time to get to the their of performer that Bouchard was last year. Actually, neither guy actually did that, even with 2 extra years.

I agree, every player is different. Seth Jones played the whole year right after being drafted, Cam Fowler was a 12th and played the whole season after his draft. It didn't hurt any of them. I am not advocating to play Bouchard the whole season. In fact I said they should send him back to junior but to imply that playing him in a few real NHL games to give him a taste is something only the Oilers would do implying it's stupid is flat out untrue. LOTS of teams do it every year and it's not just the teams deemed as bad organizations.

I have not said that it's ALWAYS a mistake for a first round pick to come directly in to the lineup - I've said there's no other team who puts as many of them directly in to the lineup. Since 2010, every Oilers first draft pick but Darnell Nurse came directly in to the lineup as an 18 year old. Now, four of those picks were first overalls, and most were ready, but Draisaitl, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto all were clearly not ready. All of them had a significantly longer stretch here:

- Draisaitl played in 37 games and was sent down at the halfway point despite recording just 2-7-9 on a terrible Eakins' coached team.
- Puljujarvi played in 28 games, but the Oilers kept him on the roster long enough to burn a full year towards UFA status. He had just 1-7-8, but for some reason we couldn't send him down until Game 42 of the year.
- Yamamoto played 9 games last year, tallying 0-3-3 as a boy amongst men. It was clear he wasn't ready, but the Oilers kept him up until around game 13 for no real good reason.
- Even with Nurse, he wasn't ready as a 19-year old, but he still got a 2-game audition plus a few games sitting as a healthy scratch before he was sent back to junior.

It's possible Bouchard is ready, although he seems to have wrinkles on his defensive game which will be exposed at the pro level. He may be better working on that in the CHL and World Juniors this year. Given the Oilers history, I don't have confidence that they'll do the right thing and send Bouchard back if he's not ready. They seem to always want to showcase their first round picks, because they can hype them through the local media ("He's surprising everyone with his maturity!", "He could be an impact player sooner than expected!"), and get themselves a quick pat on the back. It's a marketing exercise, not a development one. That's a horrible way to run a hockey team, but it's the management team we have.

I expect that the Oilers will want people to know they made a good pick in June, and talking up how he forced them to keep him on the roster, even if he's struggling.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718477 is a reply to message #718469 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

We'll there's a first, I completely agree with something Adam says.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718481 is a reply to message #718477 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 16:24

Don't let the negativity get to you. Everything is awesome! :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718486 is a reply to message #718481 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

This is really great news!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718500 is a reply to message #718477 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Bouchard is old balls for a draftee, if he's good enough, keep him up. There's little left that the CHL can teach him, other than maybe an over-inflated sense of confidence.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718571 is a reply to message #718500 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 10:21

Bouchard is old balls for a draftee, if he's good enough, keep him up. There's little left that the CHL can teach him, other than maybe an over-inflated sense of confidence.

If Nurse holds out, he really only has to beat out Kevin Gravel for a job. Maybe Ethan Bear grabs it.

Klefbom / Larsson
Russell / Benning
Jarabek / ________ (Bouchard, Bear)
_________ (Gravel, Lowe, Stanton)

Yikes.

They need Nurse.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718598 is a reply to message #718571 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

I'd rather they develop in the AHL than the CHL, men vs boys. As for Bouchard, I hope his foot speed isn't an issue. They all say the Smith kid from Lloyd can skate like an NHL'er already.....

With the Oilers record....I predict in 5 years the Smith kid warps past him. Murphy's law is Oilers law.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #718614 is a reply to message #718598 ]
Sat, 15 September 2018 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Delete

[Updated on: Sat, 15 September 2018 09:22]

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818835 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

See lots of negativity around the Bouch lately, but just wanted to add a little perspective about 2023, when this team started to actually look decent, here are how our D performed

https://i.ibb.co/PcLtYjJ/Oilers-D-2023.jpg

Bouch had a major part in this season turning around. Broberg coming up no doubt helped too, but it's not necessarily that Broberg lifted Bouch up. Bouch, like a lot of the team, finally get their games together after a poor first half.

https://i.ibb.co/LQXFTWy/Bouch-Teammates.jpg

I heard Gregor on the radio ranting about PDO and how it can be your fault for it being bad, but Bouch's PDO has been just 1.000 in 2023, after it was 0.947 in the 2022 part of the season because Campbell couldn't stop a beach ball and Bouch just happened to be the fortunate guy on the ice when it happened more than any other D. If he does manage a nice run and getting some better sav% when he's on the ice, he could inch closer to 1 for the season. Broberg was pretty unlucky with him in 2022 with 0.966.

Think we should be able to relax a bit about Bouch. The media guys are definitely into the trap of fixating on every mistake he makes, especially when he's out with Broberg. This is just more boot licking though, Broberg is Holland's guy, and Bouch was brought in by Chia. This is just low hanging fruit would an offensive minded puck moving D we have seen time and time again here.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 19:14]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818896 is a reply to message #818835 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 17:58

See lots of negativity around the Bouch lately, but just wanted to add a little perspective about 2023, when this team started to actually look decent, here are how our D performed

Bouch had a major part in this season turning around. Broberg coming up no doubt helped too, but it's not necessarily that Broberg lifted Bouch up. Bouch, like a lot of the team, finally get their games together after a poor first half.

I heard Gregor on the radio ranting about PDO and how it can be your fault for it being bad, but Bouch's PDO has been just 1.000 in 2023, after it was 0.947 in the 2022 part of the season because Campbell couldn't stop a beach ball and Bouch just happened to be the fortunate guy on the ice when it happened more than any other D. If he does manage a nice run and getting some better sav% when he's on the ice, he could inch closer to 1 for the season. Broberg was pretty unlucky with him in 2022 with 0.966.

Think we should be able to relax a bit about Bouch. The media guys are definitely into the trap of fixating on every mistake he makes, especially when he's out with Broberg. This is just more boot licking though, Broberg is Holland's guy, and Bouch was brought in by Chia. This is just low hanging fruit would an offensive minded puck moving D we have seen time and time again here.

Between periods tonight Holland essentially said he traded Barrie because it's time for Bouchard to step up.

If he stops playing lightweight, losing sight of his teammates and looking baffled in his own end, I will be off his case. He has a lot of potential for the future but he needs to be coached.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818898 is a reply to message #818896 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 23:24

Between periods tonight Holland essentially said he traded Barrie because it's time for Bouchard to step up.

If he stops playing lightweight, losing sight of his teammates and looking baffled in his own end, I will be off his case. He has a lot of potential for the future but he needs to be coached.

I think having him paired with Ekholm should be a big eye opener for Bouchard. Everytime they get back to the bench, that's a chance to tell Bouchard what to do in situations in real time, plus on ice commiunication. In a way that's more impactful and personal than watching videos in a board room. He's looked lost since Keith retired, and I'm hoping that having a new mentor is what the kid needs. Possibly also for guys like Nurse and Broberg too.

Moving Barrie is definitely frying pan into the fire for Bouchard. I hope the timing was good, because it still seemed a bit early.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818920 is a reply to message #818898 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 01:01

I think having him paired with Ekholm should be a big eye opener for Bouchard. Everytime they get back to the bench, that's a chance to tell Bouchard what to do in situations in real time, plus on ice commiunication. In a way that's more impactful and personal than watching videos in a board room. He's looked lost since Keith retired, and I'm hoping that having a new mentor is what the kid needs. Possibly also for guys like Nurse and Broberg too.

Moving Barrie is definitely frying pan into the fire for Bouchard. I hope the timing was good, because it still seemed a bit early.

A lot of people discredit the Keith factor for Bouchard last year. That's exactly what happened when Keith was pair with him. Bouchard had a been there, done that vet dman to help him every time he sat down.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818956 is a reply to message #818920 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 11:41

A lot of people discredit the Keith factor for Bouchard last year. That's exactly what happened when Keith was pair with him. Bouchard had a been there, done that vet dman to help him every time he sat down.

Yes, Keith gave him lots of chances to learn how to cover for a slow D partner that kept making bad pinches and leaving him out to dry. Lots of experience watching his partner get walked in the playoffs over and over for key goals against.

Bouch's best hockey this year was with a kid even younger than him.

Think our biggest issue with Bouch this year was the team overall playing like crap, and there is no way Keith wouldn't have done the same here, he did last year with Tippett along with everyone else until Woodcroft came in. Also, we decided to wait until Barrie was finally gone to give him any consistent opportunity on the PP. This all could have gone a lot smoother. He'll figure it out, like Barrie had to early in his career, one year being out for 7 SH goals against.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818969 is a reply to message #818956 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 23:29 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 16:58

Yes, Keith gave him lots of chances to learn how to cover for a slow D partner that kept making bad pinches and leaving him out to dry. Lots of experience watching his partner get walked in the playoffs over and over for key goals against.

Bouch's best hockey this year was with a kid even younger than him.

Think our biggest issue with Bouch this year was the team overall playing like crap, and there is no way Keith wouldn't have done the same here, he did last year with Tippett along with everyone else until Woodcroft came in. Also, we decided to wait until Barrie was finally gone to give him any consistent opportunity on the PP. This all could have gone a lot smoother. He'll figure it out, like Barrie had to early in his career, one year being out for 7 SH goals against.

I will state that there are serious issues in the defensive coaching and defensive strategies of the Oilers right now. Lack of a break out playbook, a lack of improving poor defensive positioning (Ceci/Nurse are brutal at this) and a lack of coordination with the forwards except on the PP (when we usually only have 1 D out there anyways). These deficiencies burned the team last playoffs and will burn them again.

Bouch looks shaky and I truly hope the team works with him to make him stronger and doesn't just hope he'll figure it out (cough, Puljujarvi, cough). In the Boston game, Bouchard had the puck at centre ice with no one around him and both teams changing on the opposite side, but he just hammered the puck into the Bruins' zone. No one chasing him, no one pressuring him, no reason at all.... just an unforced turnover with no potential of anything good happening. Someone needs to ask him why he makes that kind of play, then teach him not to.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818968 is a reply to message #818920 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Duncan Keith was garbage. He was a liability throughout the playoffs last year. I don't think he contributed much of anything.

Bouchard has been very good in 2023, as pointed out above, without a "mentor". If anything, he's had the mentor role, as he's mostly been playing with Bouchard, with some time with other rookies as well.

The media in this town is terrible and doesn't understand hockey so not at all surprising to see those mouth-breathers focusing their ire on another offensive defenceman. The sad thing is that it does impact so many in this town who also will rant and rave about individual mistakes without any understanding of how those are balanced off by strong play. I swear, the only thing 40% of Oilers fans think a d-man needs to do is crosscheck people in the back in front of the net. I think the fact that he has a goofy face probably hurts Bouchard too. The jackals prefer a more classical look.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #818959 is a reply to message #818896 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 00:24

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 17:58

He just needs to be less casual. How many times has he been caught from behind on the rush in the neutral and offensive zone with the puck. Just a little less sleepy and casual and he'll be fine.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #63)
Next Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca