This day on December 15
Acquired: John Hughes (1980) Brent Grieve (1993)
Departed: Marc Laforge (1993)

Happy Birthday To: pauly, Shawn10, Oilfanin403, smokey799

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pakarinen out
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pakarinen out [message #713852]
Tue, 24 April 2018 06:54 Go to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/report-oilers-pakarinen-signs-in-khl-1.10 66205

I think this is news and not speculation...

Anyway, it's nothing I have issue with, one less body.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713853 is a reply to message #713852 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

He was a good PKer. Able to handle the wild scramble PK game plan with lots of energy. Nothing that can't be replaced by some NHL quality PK coaching though. Not really able to do anything 5v5.

Good luck to him in the KHL.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713856 is a reply to message #713853 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 April 2018 07:31

He was a good PKer. Able to handle the wild scramble PK game plan with lots of energy. Nothing that can't be replaced by some NHL quality PK coaching though. Not really able to do anything 5v5.

2g, 1a in 40 NHL games this year. That's a Steve MacIntyre season. He didn't look like an NHL player this past year. It was never likely he'd be back.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713858 is a reply to message #713856 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 24 April 2018 08:29

2g, 1a in 40 NHL games this year. That's a Steve MacIntyre season. He didn't look like an NHL player this past year. It was never likely he'd be back.

This is a coaching staff that needs specific guys to execute their stupid game plans in specific situations though. I don't think there is any question that Pak was uniquely able to execute whatever the heck McLellan and friends were trying to do with the PK. And that has value, even if his ES play was nadda.

Hard to juggle all these things when you give yourself so many self inflicted handicaps.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713859 is a reply to message #713858 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 April 2018 08:46

This is a coaching staff that needs specific guys to execute their stupid game plans in specific situations though. I don't think there is any question that Pak was uniquely able to execute whatever the heck McLellan and friends were trying to do with the PK. And that has value, even if his ES play was nadda.

Hard to juggle all these things when you give yourself so many self inflicted handicaps.

Nope, the assessment (audit?) on Pakarinen is complete. He's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 April 2018 09:52]

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713860 is a reply to message #713859 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

MEH

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713862 is a reply to message #713859 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 24 April 2018 08:53

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 April 2018 08:46

Nope, the assessment (audit?) on Pakarinen is complete. He's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Good news for the Oilers is that he self-assessed, so it saved them a whole lot of time. God knows the team is incapable of deciding anything faster than that.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713873 is a reply to message #713862 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am glad that he didn't force the Oilers to make a decision on their own as I fear he would have been back. Pakarinen to me was a borderline NHLer who if he was out there in limited minutes wasn't a guy that would get crushed but at the same time did very little to help you win. The Oilers need to get away from having guys on their team that are just there.

Re: Pakarinen out [message #713876 is a reply to message #713852 ]
Tue, 24 April 2018 16:44 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Much like Anton Lander, great AHL player, probably a good KHL player, just not good enough to be a NHL player. I would have gotten rid of him last summer, and he didn't change my mind this year. Wish him the best, but his absence won't be noticed.

At least they didn't sign him for 2 years like Gryba.

Previous Topic:McDavid named a Ted Lindsay Award finalist
Next Topic:A look back on last off-season
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca