F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Year-end Press Conferences
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Year-end Press Conferences [message #713383]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:07 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I'm going to make an attempt to move the press conference chat away from Speculation in to the Oilers forum, because while they only suggest possible moves that the team MIGHT do, they really did happen.

So what have we learned:

- Chiarelli is staying on and retaining all his roles.

- The goal is to make the playoffs next year. It's not clear if there are any consequences if the team does not.

- He has authority, to a point, but he consults with Nicholson and Lowe and Gretzky and others on major decisions.

- The coaching is under review. Now, it's uncertain why they haven't come to a decision on this. There are no more games to coach, and they know the parties well having worked with them the last three years. The only reasonable guess here is that the Oilers have decided they want someone specific to be the coach, and are waiting to see if he gets fired or is otherwise interested in coming on board before they make a decision on the coaches. That's pretty brutal, especially since they've said now that they may take a long time to reach a decision on coaching. It does seem a throwback to that time when they asked Tom Renney to write an essay as to why he should keep his job while interviewing others to possibly take it.

- The players were really the ones to blame, and it's shocking that anyone would suggest management was, when it was so clearly the players. Those 94s didn't take a step forward - they really disappointed Chiarelli - and the goaltending was sub-par too. In fact, all but 2-3 pieces were sub-par. The Oilers wouldn't say that Chia was well above par though (which I think is a bad thing anyhow, isn't it?)

- The good news? Lucic skates well in Chia's estimation.

- Also the scouting team is all good. Led by Chiarelli's brother and Messier's brother, they're a crack squad who are guaranteed to deliver the goods if we keep picking very high in the draft.

- They are going to look in to improving the game night experience too...well, other than on the ice, since Chia is still going to be the GM...

- McLellan will take a little more responsibility for the failings of the team than his GM (which might cost him his job), but he still thinks he's got it all figured out. He calls out the "so-called experts" who criticize him and his systems and wonder where they are during his press conferences which are only open to a select few, none of them being hockey bloggers.

- And of course, the best line in either press conference: "Other GMs really like Peter, which helps him to get deals done." I'm sure that Ray Shero thanks the sweet lord for Panicky Pete Chiarelli before bed every night. Jim Nill sings his praises from the rooftop. Garth Snow treats him like a brother. At least we know that this is likely the truest thing said in any of the Oilers press availabilities. Other GMs love that the Oilers have such a terrible general manager and are thrilled to see him keep his job. Imagine how concerned you'd have to be about a team that has both McDavid AND a competent management team...

- Finally, the best news of all. Peter Chiarelli has a plan.

The Nicholson presser was embarrassing to say the least. The Oilers are completely tone deaf and they're still confident that this path...the one that bombed the last year of McDavid's rookie deal and ended with us almost 20 points back of the last playoff spot...is the correct one. Don't worry everyone, it's all okay. Bobby Nicks says we just need to be patient and watch the Chiarelli master plan evolve.

Sigh. What a joke.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713387 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

You forgot the gem revelation that KLowe is the "vice chair" helping Bobby Nick "evaluate" the situation, thus dispelling any fears that he was no longer doing anything related to hockey for the team anymore.

This is a @%#@$# nightmare.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713388 is a reply to message #713387 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:22

You forgot the gem revelation that KLowe is the "vice chair" helping Bobby Nick "evaluate" the situation, thus dispelling any fears that he was no longer doing anything related to hockey for the team anymore.

We knew that he was Vice Chair, along with Gretz and Bobby Nicks. Just no one really knows what that means. What's Gretzky's role, Bob? "Well, he's Wayne Gretzky!!!"

I've never ever ever doubted that the Oilers have Lowe involved in many decisions. Not only does he show up at every draft and to tour Lucic around town, but Edmonton media will every so often mention that there's three additional former GMs in the offices next to Chiarelli's and he'd be foolish not to draw upon that kind of experience.

The Oilers manage by committee...GM comes with a little extra potential glory, but also with your head closest to the chopping block.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713393 is a reply to message #713388 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:28

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:22

We knew that he was Vice Chair, along with Gretz and Bobby Nicks. Just no one really knows what that means. What's Gretzky's role, Bob? "Well, he's Wayne Gretzky!!!"

I've never ever ever doubted that the Oilers have Lowe involved in many decisions. Not only does he show up at every draft and to tour Lucic around town, but Edmonton media will every so often mention that there's three additional former GMs in the offices next to Chiarelli's and he'd be foolish not to draw upon that kind of experience.

The Oilers manage by committee...GM comes with a little extra potential glory, but also with your head closest to the chopping block.

Lol I think this was a massive blunder from old Bobby Nicks. He is probably getting a blast from KLowe right now!

Everyone knows that the official party line is that Kevin Lowe has nothing to do with hockey operations while the team is bad. If they ever get good then they will refer back to the "master plan" that has been eluded to so often and he will reveal himself..but until then mums the word!

So can we be done with that nonsense now? Will moron radio hosts (rhymes with Grason Jegor) and MSM reporters keep trotting it out? We are still in the Kevin Lowe era. Fact.

....Then again he never actually said "Kevin Lowe"...he just said Kevin and Wayne. On second thought probably a couple of analytics guys or career scouts.

But people will keep dropping their money into this bottomless pit and keep these clowns employed. There are no surprises anymore so you pretty much get what you deserve if that is your choice. It really is amazing and awesome how bad it is and how people cant wait to lap up the next serving.

CM requesting a trade just has to happen at some point before his contract is up doesn't it?

Go Oilers!

Oh also...the goal is now playoffs. In the fourth year after inheriting probably the most stacked team in terms of assets since the 80s Oilers the goal is...to not be one of the 15 worst teams in the league. Just jawdroppingly embarrassing.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2018 14:49]

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713395 is a reply to message #713393 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:44

CM requesting a trade just has to happen at some point before his contract is up doesn't it?

I was asked about this very thing by a (filthy) casual fan last night. I'm not sure McDavid realizes the situation he's in, but does his agent? At some point, I do think he will figure out his best years are being wasted by a bloated gaggle of management incompetents.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713389 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

All I am reminded of is that episode of The Office where Dunder Miffilin holds a shareholder conference during the company's failures on the brink of bankruptcy. Michael Scott, interrupting, goes to the mic during all the boos for the executives and announces that during the 15 minute break, they will come up with a plan. A 45 day plan to turn the company around. He is cheered by the shareholders in his exit.

The only difference is that was comedy, and this is reality.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2018 14:52]

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713390 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 13:07

I'm going to make an attempt to move the press conference chat away from Speculation in to the Oilers forum, because while they only suggest possible moves that the team MIGHT do, they really did happen.

So what have we learned:

- Chiarelli is staying on and retaining all his roles.

- The goal is to make the playoffs next year. It's not clear if there are any consequences if the team does not.

- He has authority, to a point, but he consults with Nicholson and Lowe and Gretzky and others on major decisions.

- The coaching is under review. Now, it's uncertain why they haven't come to a decision on this. There are no more games to coach, and they know the parties well having worked with them the last three years. The only reasonable guess here is that the Oilers have decided they want someone specific to be the coach, and are waiting to see if he gets fired or is otherwise interested in coming on board before they make a decision on the coaches. That's pretty brutal, especially since they've said now that they may take a long time to reach a decision on coaching. It does seem a throwback to that time when they asked Tom Renney to write an essay as to why he should keep his job while interviewing others to possibly take it.

- The players were really the ones to blame, and it's shocking that anyone would suggest management was, when it was so clearly the players. Those 94s didn't take a step forward - they really disappointed Chiarelli - and the goaltending was sub-par too. In fact, all but 2-3 pieces were sub-par. The Oilers wouldn't say that Chia was well above par though (which I think is a bad thing anyhow, isn't it?)

- The good news? Lucic skates well in Chia's estimation.

- Also the scouting team is all good. Led by Chiarelli's brother and Messier's brother, they're a crack squad who are guaranteed to deliver the goods if we keep picking very high in the draft.

- They are going to look in to improving the game night experience too...well, other than on the ice, since Chia is still going to be the GM...

- McLellan will take a little more responsibility for the failings of the team than his GM (which might cost him his job), but he still thinks he's got it all figured out. He calls out the "so-called experts" who criticize him and his systems and wonder where they are during his press conferences which are only open to a select few, none of them being hockey bloggers.

- And of course, the best line in either press conference: "Other GMs really like Peter, which helps him to get deals done." I'm sure that Ray Shero thanks the sweet lord for Panicky Pete Chiarelli before bed every night. Jim Nill sings his praises from the rooftop. Garth Snow treats him like a brother. At least we know that this is likely the truest thing said in any of the Oilers press availabilities. Other GMs love that the Oilers have such a terrible general manager and are thrilled to see him keep his job. Imagine how concerned you'd have to be about a team that has both McDavid AND a competent management team...

- Finally, the best news of all. Peter Chiarelli has a plan.

The Nicholson presser was embarrassing to say the least. The Oilers are completely tone deaf and they're still confident that this path...the one that bombed the last year of McDavid's rookie deal and ended with us almost 20 points back of the last playoff spot...is the correct one. Don't worry everyone, it's all okay. Bobby Nicks says we just need to be patient and watch the Chiarelli master plan evolve.

Sigh. What a joke.

I didn't know that. Your scouting staff are the most important people on the management team, they determine the long term future of the franchise, the scouting staff should be the best people available, and come along with a winning track record in finding and identifying talent. Didn't the Oilers learn anything from the last decade of ineptness? .. that was rhetorical...

We know the Chiarelli plan.. same as its been, sell your best assets for 50 cents on the dollar, creating a big hole on the roster, and then try and fill that big hole with small pieces from the NCAA UFA market, and with it the associated low probability for success.

Yeah, that statement was a mistake, you don't tell your fans that the guy who gave away a (soon to be) Hart trophy winner , for a stay at home defenseman, is "well liked" by the other GM's, and that's "why" he "can get deals done". It sounds like what it is, the other GM's like to make deals with suckers, obviously.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2018 14:38]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713391 is a reply to message #713390 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:32

We know the Chiarelli plan.. same as its been, sell your best assets for 50 cents on the dollar, creating a big hole on the roster, and then try and fill that big hole with small pieces from the NCAA UFA market, and with it the associated low probability for success.

I was thinking about the plan yesterday. I think Chiarelli has boxed himself into a corner due to a total lack of assets and cap space... next year, not this year. This year they had a lot of cap space. Does Chiarelli understand what cap space is? Honest questions. In my opinion the Oilers have exactly 8 assets worth anything of value.

-McDavid
-Draisaitl
-Nuge
-Klef
-Nurse
-Puljajarvi
-Yamamoto
-This year's 1st

McDavid is untradeable, Nurse and Drai have been identified as the core, and Nuge now won't be traded that leaves Klef, the two kids (whose names I doubt I'll need to learn how to spell), and the first as usable assets to get better now. The Oilers need to find 3 forwards to fill out their top 7 (with Nuge being the 3C / W swingman) and some number of useful D men (I'd argue they need 3, but I'd bet the Oilers think they need 1 plus a Klef replacement).

Do the Oilers believe the two kids can rise up and assume a key wing position? Do the Oilers believe they can exchange the kids (future assets, assuming they aren't good enough to take key roles on the wing) for current assets. Same question for Klef. Does he return to form and become a current asset or is he treated like a future asset and traded for something current? Clearly this year's first is a future asset.

I think the Oilers need to win now. Not just because McDavid is a limited time asset and they're in danger of wasting him, but because the fans are near revolt, the new arena is losing some luster and is no longer a draw in and of itself, I'm hearing sponsors are reconsidering their positions, and the boxes are up for renewal after next season (why they wouldn't stagger renewals is beyond me ).

So, what do the Oilers do? I think they exchange Klef, Pulja, Yama, and this year's first for a better version of Klef, a top 6 winger, and dollars to re-sign Nurse. I think they spend every last dime of cap space signing a free agent winger. I think they hope and pray 2 of Bear or Rattie or Strome or Drake or Benning are ready to make huge jump.

I think they're screwed. I don't think there's a road map between here and a contender... unless McDavid scores 50 goals and 80 assists next year. And even then, I think they're probably screwed. They're simply a bad hockey team run by people who don't know how to run a hockey team.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713392 is a reply to message #713391 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 13:37

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:32

I was thinking about the plan yesterday. I think Chiarelli has boxed himself into a corner due to a total lack of assets and cap space... next year, not this year. This year they had a lot of cap space. Does Chiarelli understand what cap space is? Honest questions. In my opinion the Oilers have exactly 8 assets worth anything of value.

-McDavid
-Draisaitl
-Nuge
-Klef
-Nurse
-Puljajarvi
-Yamamoto
-This year's 1st

McDavid is untradeable, Nurse and Drai have been identified as the core, and Nuge now won't be traded that leaves Klef, the two kids (whose names I doubt I'll need to learn how to spell), and the first as usable assets to get better now. The Oilers need to find 3 forwards to fill out their top 7 (with Nuge being the 3C / W swingman) and some number of useful D men (I'd argue they need 3, but I'd bet the Oilers think they need 1 plus a Klef replacement).

Do the Oilers believe the two kids can rise up and assume a key wing position? Do the Oilers believe they can exchange the kids (future assets, assuming they aren't good enough to take key roles on the wing) for current assets. Same question for Klef. Does he return to form and become a current asset or is he treated like a future asset and traded for something current? Clearly this year's first is a future asset.

I think the Oilers need to win now. Not just because McDavid is a limited time asset and they're in danger of wasting him, but because the fans are near revolt, the new arena is losing some luster and is no longer a draw in and of itself, I'm hearing sponsors are reconsidering their positions, and the boxes are up for renewal after next season (why they wouldn't stagger renewals is beyond me ).

So, what do the Oilers do? I think they exchange Klef, Pulja, Yama, and this year's first for a better version of Klef, a top 6 winger, and dollars to re-sign Nurse. I think they spend every last dime of cap space signing a free agent winger. I think they hope and pray 2 of Bear or Rattie or Strome or Drake or Benning are ready to make huge jump.

I think they're screwed. I don't think there's a road map between here and a contender... unless McDavid scores 50 goals and 80 assists next year. And even then, I think they're probably screwed. They're simply a bad hockey team run by people who don't know how to run a hockey team.

Be nice if they could work some magic and unload Sekera or Russell's contract... I don't think Sekera will ever come back to useful top 4 form.
Lucic is staying, it would take a nuclear bomb to move that contract.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713394 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Thanks for putting this together Adam!

What I don’t get, from the last few days, why were TMac, Chia and Bobby Nicks giving their year end pressers apart, on separate days and giving the fans literally nothing in the form of hope that this **** show turning around? Wait, I guess Chia has a plan.

I want to believe that Chia can turn this ship around and we see Oilers playoff hockey next season, but what has he done to show us even an ounce of faith in his ‘plan’.

Not sure how they can bring back the coaching staff after this. However, if they do keep Todd but fire the assistants... I can’t see Woodcroft going anywhere as he’s essentially tied to the tip (just the tip? More than the tip?) of Todd. So what will change from letting Hebers and Johnson walk and keeping TMac and Woodcroft?

Sigh. Well my friends, we’ll always have 2016-2017. They can’t take that away from us.

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713396 is a reply to message #713394 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Not sure why this press conference didn't just happen after Chiarelli's yesterday as they pump his tires.

I'm not actually sure which was worse, this press conference or the senators "grilling" Zuccerburg when they don't actually understand how Facebook operates. Maybe management and the US senators aren't too far off and don't understand how things run.

Oh we heard from season ticket holders that they didn't like the results this year.... I really hope management wasn't happy with the results and not this takes 10 years to turn around BS.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713398 is a reply to message #713396 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 15:52

Not sure why this press conference didn't just happen after Chiarelli's yesterday as they pump his tires.

I'm not actually sure which was worse, this press conference or the senators "grilling" Zuccerburg when they don't actually understand how Facebook operates. Maybe management and the US senators aren't too far off and don't understand how things run.

Oh we heard from season ticket holders that they didn't like the results this year.... I really hope management wasn't happy with the results and not this takes 10 years to turn around BS.

I know exactly how this happened. They watched twitter meltdown after the Chiarelli conference yesterday and decided they needed to come out and pacify the howling mob by telling them that the brass agrees it isn't Chia's fault and that the plan is really, REALLY good...

It's a stupid plan (the one to send out Nicholson, not the non-existent one that Chia's developed), but it's the kind we've seem before from these guys. They think they should be able to talk their way out of this, and they're lucky in that they always face a pretty friendly room of reporters who tacitly know not to push too hard.

Definitely some amazing moments there nonetheless:

Reporter (Rishaug?) - "You had $8MM in cap space, was it a mistake not to spend it?"
Bobby Nicks - "We have to pay attention to the cap for this year, next year and the year after, so it wasn't a mistake, no."

Reporter (B. Hall?) - "Have you looked at how you can be successful with McDavid's new deal kicking in this year?"
BN - "No, we really haven't got in to that just yet."

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713399 is a reply to message #713398 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

I think all you guys are forgetting that we won the Maroon trade. well, the first Maroon trade. So Chia is doing just fine. And the seats have cupholders.

There's really no downside to being an Oiler fan.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713400 is a reply to message #713399 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Nicholson kept mentioning there is a plan and it will be revealed soon. I would really like to know what the plan is because I am not seeing it right now.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713404 is a reply to message #713400 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:18

Nicholson kept mentioning there is a plan and it will be revealed soon. I would really like to know what the plan is because I am not seeing it right now.

The plan is to SAY they have a plan, and that if you knew the plan, you'd feel as comfortable as Nicholson does. They'd love to tell you the plan, but they can't because it's top secret, but Chiarelli has suggested that they could be possibly in the running to win a Stanley Cup in five years or so. Just keep buying tickets and maybe next year we'll be in the playoffs, or at least one of those teams competing for a shot at the playoffs, and then once you're in who knows what can happen.

Also the plan is to evaluate. It's very important to evaluate, sometimes even to forensically evaluate. On occasion, that might tilt towards auditing even. Usually, when you do that, you realize it's really the people at the bottom of the organization, third and fourth liners, assistant coaches, trainers and stickboys who are most to blame.

By the way, have you met our new coaching staff? It's Todd McLellan with Steve Smith, Kelly Buchberger and Keith Acton with special appearances over Skype by the one and only Paul Coffey!!!

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713401 is a reply to message #713399 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:13

I think all you guys are forgetting that we won the Maroon trade. well, the first Maroon trade. So Chia is doing just fine. And the seats have cupholders.

There's really no downside to being an Oiler fan.

Only the lower bowl seats have cupholders. They couldn't even get that right.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713402 is a reply to message #713401 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

So Chiarelli is staying for now but I have to think they will make some changes to the guys behind him. How can they not?

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713406 is a reply to message #713402 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:20

So Chiarelli is staying for now but I have to think they will make some changes to the guys behind him. How can they not?

The only reason why they'd delay on making decisions is that they don't want to do a lot of interviews, and they want a big name coach to step in if they let go McLellan. So they'll wait to see who shakes loose, and if there isn't a glamour signing out there, then they keep him and fire one, two or three assistant coaches.

Oilers PR director Bob Stauffer was talking immediately after the press conference about how Tampa Bay didn't make big changes last year (even though there's no comparison between the two organizations, Yzerman hadn't squandered talent away and had in fact managed to re-up all his best players, they missed by a single point, they dealt with injuries to their best player and through their lineup...) so you know how the Oilers will spin things if they can't get the sexy hire and they decide they need to keep McLellan again for another year.

I can see them possibly in the playoffs last year - as long as they don't make another Hall-type trade this summer - but I don't expect them to be where they should be at.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713407 is a reply to message #713406 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:31

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:20

The only reason why they'd delay on making decisions is that they don't want to do a lot of interviews, and they want a big name coach to step in if they let go McLellan. So they'll wait to see who shakes loose, and if there isn't a glamour signing out there, then they keep him and fire one, two or three assistant coaches.

Oilers PR director Bob Stauffer was talking immediately after the press conference about how Tampa Bay didn't make big changes last year (even though there's no comparison between the two organizations, Yzerman hadn't squandered talent away and had in fact managed to re-up all his best players, they missed by a single point, they dealt with injuries to their best player and through their lineup...) so you know how the Oilers will spin things if they can't get the sexy hire and they decide they need to keep McLellan again for another year.

I can see them possibly in the playoffs last year - as long as they don't make another Hall-type trade this summer - but I don't expect them to be where they should be at.

I'd be stunned if both Johnson and Woodcroft are here. I have no clue what Herbers does but what's the point in keeping him either. Even if McLellan doesn't want to get rid of them, I don't know how the team can keep the assistants. They have to do something to even save a little face.

I wasn't surprised they are keeping Chia but again to save face, I could see them getting rid of some of the lower guys like Howson, Mac T.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713408 is a reply to message #713407 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:37

I wasn't surprised they are keeping Chia but again to save face, I could see them getting rid of some of the lower guys like Howson, Mac T.

The question is, who's really lower on the totem pole? I think MacTavish has more ties to the owner...he kept his job when he was being fired as GM. I don't think there's any way to rid ourselves of him.

And Howson WAS let go, only to immediately boomerang back to the team. I think he's in tight too. I think they're all part of the "evaluation committee" and they probably outrank Chia in actual influence and on the list of least-likely-to-be-fired.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713410 is a reply to message #713408 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:40

The question is, who's really lower on the totem pole? I think MacTavish has more ties to the owner...he kept his job when he was being fired as GM. I don't think there's any way to rid ourselves of him.

And Howson WAS let go, only to immediately boomerang back to the team. I think he's in tight too. I think they're all part of the "evaluation committee" and they probably outrank Chia in actual influence and on the list of least-likely-to-be-fired.

You could be right but I think someone will be the sacrificial lamb and an easy one to appease some people to a small degree would be Mac T or Howson.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713441 is a reply to message #713410 ]
Fri, 13 April 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:44

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:40

You could be right but I think someone will be the sacrificial lamb and an easy one to appease some people to a small degree would be Mac T or Howson.

An easier one they could do, allowing Katz to keep his Human HockeyCards and with little to no actual impact, could be to turn the Salary Cap blame card away from Pistol Pete to Bill Scott (Assistant to the POHO and Director of Salary Cap Management, I think is his actual title).

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713409 is a reply to message #713401 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

My bad, as a Tier 1a fan i would never go up the escalators of doom so it's cupholder city!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713403 is a reply to message #713398 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 15:08

Reporter (B. Hall?) - "Have you looked at how you can be successful with McDavid's new deal kicking in this year?"

Yeah, that should be damning but got overshadowed. Isn't this whole thing about having a plan? You haven't really figured out how you are gonna assemble a winning team with that expensive contract, just taking it year by year?

Makes sense though, considering the Lucic and Russell contracts.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713405 is a reply to message #713398 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 16:08

McDavid97 wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 15:52

I know exactly how this happened. They watched twitter meltdown after the Chiarelli conference yesterday and decided they needed to come out and pacify the howling mob by telling them that the brass agrees it isn't Chia's fault and that the plan is really, REALLY good...

It's a stupid plan (the one to send out Nicholson, not the non-existent one that Chia's developed), but it's the kind we've seem before from these guys. They think they should be able to talk their way out of this, and they're lucky in that they always face a pretty friendly room of reporters who tacitly know not to push too hard.

Definitely some amazing moments there nonetheless:

Reporter (Rishaug?) - "You had $8MM in cap space, was it a mistake not to spend it?"
Bobby Nicks - "We have to pay attention to the cap for this year, next year and the year after, so it wasn't a mistake, no."

He was more of a bumbling idiot than Chia was. So ridiculous.

Let's just all hope the NHL rules change so that the OIlers get exclusive rights to all Canadian players and coaches.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713450 is a reply to message #713394 ]
Fri, 13 April 2018 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:45

giving the fans literally nothing in the form of hope that this **** show turning around?

The answer to this is simple: they don't have to. They really don't have to tell us anything, because the owner is fine with losing and hiring losers. That's because he's still making plenty of money off casual fans, and even diehard fans.

Look no further than Oilfans to support my "diehard fans" comment. Duffman's topic of "The *only* way to improve the Oilers" (ie. stop supporting them financially) was met with a lot of disdain. Disdain by suckers who think their contribution of a few thousand dollars a year keeps this team afloat, therefore it's all justified. I don't care if you've been a season ticket holder for years or just like to 'take the wife out for dates'. Any money you give this organization makes you an enabler. And getting on your high horse like you're some kind of savior to sports in this city is ridiculous. This team isn't going anywhere. Katz's deal with the city for the arena saw to that.

Keep giving them your money, and you get these results. Simple as that. I know the waiting list for season tickets is long, but voting with your dollar does matter. It might take a few years, but an impact can be made. I used to be on the list, but was just sitting on it until we had a winner worth supporting. I'm now off the list because a winner is simply not coming anytime soon. I'd also love one of the new Adidas jerseys, but I'm not giving this organization another dime.

I'll vote with my dollar, and you can do what you want with your money, but understand that nothing changes until the bottom line changes. Winning is clearly not a motivator for this organization.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713456 is a reply to message #713450 ]
Fri, 13 April 2018 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

JPro wrote on Fri, 13 April 2018 12:39

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 14:45

giving the fans literally nothing in the form of hope that this **** show turning around?

The answer to this is simple: they don't have to. They really don't have to tell us anything, because the owner is fine with losing and hiring losers. That's because he's still making plenty of money off casual fans, and even diehard fans.

Look no further than Oilfans to support my "diehard fans" comment. Duffman's topic of "The *only* way to improve the Oilers" (ie. stop supporting them financially) was met with a lot of disdain. Disdain by suckers who think their contribution of a few thousand dollars a year keeps this team afloat, therefore it's all justified. I don't care if you've been a season ticket holder for years or just like to 'take the wife out for dates'. Any money you give this organization makes you an enabler. And getting on your high horse like you're some kind of savior to sports in this city is ridiculous. This team isn't going anywhere. Katz's deal with the city for the arena saw to that.

Keep giving them your money, and you get these results. Simple as that. I know the waiting list for season tickets is long, but voting with your dollar does matter. It might take a few years, but an impact can be made. I used to be on the list, but was just sitting on it until we had a winner worth supporting. I'm now off the list because a winner is simply not coming anytime soon. I'd also love one of the new Adidas jerseys, but I'm not giving this organization another dime.

I'll vote with my dollar, and you can do what you want with your money, but understand that nothing changes until the bottom line changes. Winning is clearly not a motivator for this organization.

Obviously they don’t HAVE to. Everyone, including myself will continue to support this franchise one way or another. So you’re not going to spend money on them, directly? Not going to Rogers? Not going to buy jerseys or other merch? Okay. So be it. Watch them on tv? You’re supporting the team through television deals where they still receive money. As the common fan, in a fan base such as this... one ‘revolt’ isn’t enough to change the members of the OEG circle jerk.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713459 is a reply to message #713456 ]
Fri, 13 April 2018 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 13 April 2018 14:46

Obviously they don’t HAVE to. Everyone, including myself will continue to support this franchise one way or another. So you’re not going to spend money on them, directly? Not going to Rogers? Not going to buy jerseys or other merch? Okay. So be it. Watch them on tv? You’re supporting the team through television deals where they still receive money. As the common fan, in a fan base such as this... one ‘revolt’ isn’t enough to change the members of the OEG circle jerk.

CrusaderPi has got this right in his recent email about corporate support. The team is going to get hammered with the boxes all coming up next year, unless the team has a big bounce-back year. They're already seeing some sponsor dollars move elsewhere, and they don't have a 2000-name waitlist on the luxury boxes. They can (and do) take individual fans for granted but it's more difficult to do so with companies, and for companies, if there's no great goodwill created by taking clients, customers, staff, etc. to Oilers games for two or three months of the year, then they ain't buying a box for thousands upon thousands of dollars. If there's a number of boxes not renewed and the company can't be replaced, suddenly there's a lot less profit coming in the door and that will get people's attention.

The question, of course, is how the Oilers handle that. Do they pull the guilt card, talking about how important it is that they get the support or they can't survive in small-market Edmonton? Do they make a bunch of changes, but in a knee-jerk fashion without enough consideration as to the impacts of those changes? Or do they actually finally clean house and try winning with a more professional and competent group?

Sadly, I think they're likely to try the first two methods first...

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713669 is a reply to message #713459 ]
Wed, 18 April 2018 17:19 Go to previous message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 13 April 2018 15:03

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 13 April 2018 14:46

CrusaderPi has got this right in his recent email about corporate support. The team is going to get hammered with the boxes all coming up next year, unless the team has a big bounce-back year. They're already seeing some sponsor dollars move elsewhere, and they don't have a 2000-name waitlist on the luxury boxes. They can (and do) take individual fans for granted but it's more difficult to do so with companies, and for companies, if there's no great goodwill created by taking clients, customers, staff, etc. to Oilers games for two or three months of the year, then they ain't buying a box for thousands upon thousands of dollars. If there's a number of boxes not renewed and the company can't be replaced, suddenly there's a lot less profit coming in the door and that will get people's attention.

The question, of course, is how the Oilers handle that. Do they pull the guilt card, talking about how important it is that they get the support or they can't survive in small-market Edmonton? Do they make a bunch of changes, but in a knee-jerk fashion without enough consideration as to the impacts of those changes? Or do they actually finally clean house and try winning with a more professional and competent group?

Sadly, I think they're likely to try the first two methods first...

Bring in more ex-Oilers to pal around in boxes with corporate clients? Renew for 3 years and get a personal letter from 99 himself. 2 years gets you a motivational story from Messier.

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713412 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Thu, 12 April 2018 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

Have faith we have a plan:

That plan is to plan the plan, but first we need to plan a meeting to plan the meeting that we will have to plan the plan to build a plan.

We will get to all of this once we hire Willy Lindstrom as executive vice president in charge of all meeting room booking plans.

This is oil country

Renaissance 2015

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713448 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Fri, 13 April 2018 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

lol, "Peter Plan"

VisuallyBetter @Isuckatpicking
What will "Peter Plan" do this off season? #Oilers #NHL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DarkJmsU8AAVdX8.jpg

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Year-end Press Conferences [message #713665 is a reply to message #713383 ]
Wed, 18 April 2018 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Okay... so I must have missed this while in the hospital with number 2’s birth.

Chiarelli is responsible to evaluate the Oil Kings? Condors, I can fathom... but the Oil Kings???????? Is this factual?? If so holy CRAP Katz/Lowe/Nicholson. Why is this happening? Heck. Hire me for a tenth of what you pay Chia and I’ll evaluate the Oil Kings. What. In. The. ****.

https://oilersnation.com/2018/04/18/edmonton-oilers-arent-he lping-chiarelli-be-successful/

If this is indeed fact... the Oilers are doomed. We, as fans of the Oilers will continue to swirl in this toilet.

My lord. The things that come from red wine.

Previous Topic:Oilers media critical of Oilers GM!??!
Next Topic:Keegan Lowe Recalled
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca