This day on January 18
Acquired: Micah Aivazoff (1995) Len Esau (1995) Dean Kennedy (1995)

Happy Birthday To: brad233, gloss233, joker911

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Draisaitl for KarlssonPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712684]
Wed, 28 March 2018 09:28 Go to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=91889&blogger _id=1

I can't decide whether or not I would be for a Drai/EK trade. I like him alot but to have Karlsson with McDavid would be something else.

The problem is that we have no depth at C, so if Drai goes and McDavid/Nuge is a good combo we end up being a 1 line team forever.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712688 is a reply to message #712684 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

You really should have prefaced this by saying its from Eklund and save everyone a click.

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712689 is a reply to message #712684 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Only if EK comes with a pre-signed extension at a dollar value lower than #97s.

If it happened Nuge would have to slide back to 2C and we'd have to find a new winger to play with McDavid. Unless we could find a new 2C for cheap.

Edit: Heh, just read the article. "The Oilers may offer up Draisaitl...not sure Montreal has anything close to that...""

Not any more they don't. They're in worse shape than us.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 10:05]

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712690 is a reply to message #712689 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

This would be a completely stupid trade. I like Karlsson and if he was maybe 25, then maybe. But he will be 28 in a little over a month. He will be entering into the last year of his 6.5 mill deal. At the end of next season when his old contract is up, he will be 29. You have to sign him to a new contract and what are the odds you could sign Karlsson to ANYTHING less than max 8 yr term? Probably zero. Subban makes 9 mill. I am taking Karlsson over Subban any day. So If Subban makes 9, what will Karlsson make 10, 11? So even if you get him for 10 ,mill, you are signing a 29 yr old to an 8 yr, 10 mill per deal. So you would be paying a 35, 36, 37 yr old 10 mill. No thanks.

Leon is 22, will be 23 at the start of next season. His best years are yet to come. When his contract is up at the end of the 2025 season. He will be 30. So still in his prime and easily good for another 3 or 4 really good years. With Eichel's 10 mill coming on the books next year, Leon's 8.5 is going to look like a steal.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 10:31]

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712691 is a reply to message #712684 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

I think this would result in us having a better team. But only for 2-3 years. Karlsson probably will want 12M for 7 or 8 (sign and trade) years. Could be tough sledding in the last years of McDavid's current contract.

Drai could also be another Chia traded player that we get to see in the top 10-15 in scoring for the next 5-10 years along with Hall, Seguin, Wheeler and Kessel, lol.

Maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid, but I feel a bit better about this team right now. If we can get proper special teams coaching and find a decent offensive RHD, this "should" at least be a playoff team. If we can develop guys like Pulju and Yams properly, we could actually have decent wing depth too.

Still think a GM and coaching change will be needed though if this team is ever going to hit a contender level.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 10:43]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712692 is a reply to message #712691 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 10:39

I think this would result in us having a better team. But only for 2-3 years. Karlsson probably will want 12M for 7 or 8 (sign and trade) years. Could be tough sledding in the last years of McDavid's current contract.

Drai could also be another Chia traded player that we get to see in the top 10-15 in scoring for the next 5-10 years along with Hall, Seguin, Wheeler and Kessel, lol.

Maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid, but I feel a bit better about this team right now. If we can get proper special teams coaching and find a decent offensive RHD, this "should" at least be a playoff team. If we can develop guys like Pulju and Yams properly, we could actually have decent wing depth too.

Still think a GM and coaching change will be needed though if this team is ever going to hit a contender level.

I completely agree with you. Trading Leon would be a MASSIVE mistake. Plus I do not think that the Sens will get a Leon type player back in a trade. This has nothing to do with Chia and his GM abilities. The Sens will get a youngish dman who will probably be a top 4 guy, some picks and some prospects. They aren't getting a young, legit #1 center for Karlsson.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712695 is a reply to message #712684 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I'd definitely look into it.

I think Karlsson-McDavid wins a lot more than McDavid-Draisaitl. Karlsson on a good year can match Draisaitl's production, but on defense. I think him at 11M a year brings more value than Draisaitl at 8.5M.

Nuge can slot back to 2C no problem. Winger depth is concerning, but I really think the whole team gets better with a guy like him playing 27 minutes night. I think a lot of our problems with lack of scoring over the past 12 years is that we have not had a rock on the back end that can really move the puck. You spend your money on him and do your damn best to have a good off-season signing cheap good wingers.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712696 is a reply to message #712695 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 13:16

I think Karlsson-McDavid wins a lot more than McDavid-Draisaitl. Karlsson on a good year can match Draisaitl's production, but on defense. I think him at 11M a year brings more value than Draisaitl at 8.5M.

Nuge can slot back to 2C no problem. Winger depth is concerning, but I really think the whole team gets better with a guy like him playing 27 minutes night. I think a lot of our problems with lack of scoring over the past 12 years is that we have not had a rock on the back end that can really move the puck. You spend your money on him and do your damn best to have a good off-season signing cheap good wingers.

Here is a question for you.

Right now, most people think the Oilers lack wingers/forward that can score consistently. Right now it's McDavid, Leon and Nuge as the top 3 guys on the team. They have moved Nuge to wing because they need it. So you trade Drai and move Nuge back to center. So now you have taken away a winger from McDavid which has been a problem for most of the year. You have weakened your centers because offensively Leon is a better center. Nuge career high is 56 pts as a center. Leon is having a "down" year in some peoples books and he is at 66. So now you need even more wingers. You have weakened your top 6 AND you have made your cap situation worse because when Karlssons new deal comes on line, he will make probably 3 mill more than Leon.

So my question is, how do the Oilers improve the team? So you have added a top end dman great. But diminished the rest of your team substantially to do it.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712699 is a reply to message #712696 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Maybe we could package Eberle and Nurse for him. Probably need to move Eberle's salary this year since McDavid's new contract kicks in. I know he had a good season but top Dmen don't hit the market all the time. I sure am glad Chia didn't overreact last offseason and trade Ebs at his lowest value. faint

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712705 is a reply to message #712699 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 13:56

Maybe we could package Eberle and Nurse for him. Probably need to move Eberle's salary this year since McDavid's new contract kicks in. I know he had a good season but top Dmen don't hit the market all the time. I sure am glad Chia didn't overreact last offseason and trade Ebs at his lowest value. faint

I get the joke - I really do. But Eberle at his best plus Nurse are not even close to what it would take to get EK.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712718 is a reply to message #712705 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 17:44

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 13:56

I get the joke - I really do. But Eberle at his best plus Nurse are not even close to what it would take to get EK.

Ottawa being a budget team, I don't think it would be too far off if you were willing to take on Bobby Ryan too. Problem is I don't think we could afford that.

I think a better option would be to go hard after John Carlson is he makes it to July 1. No idea what his $ will look like, but guessing it will be significantly less than EK. Also a RH shot, same age, bigger, and he's "free" to acquire.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712701 is a reply to message #712696 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 13:27

Right now, most people think the Oilers lack wingers/forward that can score consistently. Right now it's McDavid, Leon and Nuge as the top 3 guys on the team. They have moved Nuge to wing because they need it. So you trade Drai and move Nuge back to center. So now you have taken away a winger from McDavid which has been a problem for most of the year. You have weakened your centers because offensively Leon is a better center. Nuge career high is 56 pts as a center. Leon is having a "down" year in some peoples books and he is at 66. So now you need even more wingers. You have weakened your top 6 AND you have made your cap situation worse because when Karlssons new deal comes on line, he will make probably 3 mill more than Leon.

So my question is, how do the Oilers improve the team? So you have added a top end dman great. But diminished the rest of your team substantially to do it.

Well you'd be adding a defenceman who's averaged 70 points a season for the past 5 seasons. What's the highest average of any of our current D? 30? 35?

How many more points would McDavid get if he had a defenceman who could hit him with passes while in full stride rather than the current guys who fire passes behind, into skates, into opposition forwards...?

Finally, it seems to be like it'd be a lot easier (and cheaper) to find wingers who could slot in with McDavid & Nuge than it is to find a perennial Norris candidate defenceman.

Don't disagree with your points, just pointing out what you're gaining on the other side as it's not fair to just point out the negatives when evaluating a deal like that.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712704 is a reply to message #712701 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 14:22

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 13:27

Well you'd be adding a defenceman who's averaged 70 points a season for the past 5 seasons. What's the highest average of any of our current D? 30? 35?

How many more points would McDavid get if he had a defenceman who could hit him with passes while in full stride rather than the current guys who fire passes behind, into skates, into opposition forwards...?

Finally, it seems to be like it'd be a lot easier (and cheaper) to find wingers who could slot in with McDavid & Nuge than it is to find a perennial Norris candidate defenceman.

Don't disagree with your points, just pointing out what you're gaining on the other side as it's not fair to just point out the negatives when evaluating a deal like that.

I don't deny that Karlsson would bring some things they lack. But McDavid has 102 pts right now. He probably ends up with 110 this year without Karlsson. How much more can he actually score? Leon is a 70+ pt center, Nuge is a 55 pt center. That's a lot of points to make up up front. Plus since having Nuge on his wing, McDavid has gone on a tear. Now is it all Nuge? NO. But Nuge has had an impact. Plus can you count on a 29-30 yr old Karlsson be the 70 pt guy anymore. I don't know.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712710 is a reply to message #712696 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The Oilers for years have had studs in their top 6 (until this year lol), and it has never really amounted to a winning season. When is the last time we had a defenseman that could score a modest 40 points? Tom Gilbert maybe? A puck mover who can play 27 minutes will make everyone a little better.

I still think the biggest problem with this team is that the defense plays above their roles because we have never really had a number one guy. Karlsson would push everyone down where they should be. Winger depth is a solvable problem with good pro scouts during free agency. Lots of good cheap wingers come around. And we have a 2nd line center already in Nuge.

The team as it is now has 2 huge contracts. I would rather have the best defenseman in the world as one of those two, instead of the 33rd highest scorer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather trade other pieces. But definitely open to trading Draisaitl if that is the ask.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 17:31]

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712711 is a reply to message #712710 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 16:00

The Oilers for years have had studs in their top 6 (until this year lol), and it has never really amounted to a winning season. When is the last time we had a defenseman that could score a modest 40 points? Tom Gilbert maybe? A puck mover who can play 27 minutes will make everyone a little better.

I still think the biggest problem with this team is that the defense plays above their roles because we have never really had a number one guy. Karlsson would push everyone down where they should be. Winger depth is a solvable problem with good pro scouts during free agency. Lots of goof cheap wingers come around. And we have a 2nd line center already in Nuge.

The team as it is now has 2 huge contracts. I would rather have the defenseman in the world as one of those two, instead of the 33rd highest scorer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather trade other pieces. But definitely open to trading Draisaitl if that is the ask.

My only concern with Karlsson is his age and durability now. Guy has taken some real damage to his legs and feet in his career so far. He could start declining pretty soon. I think he still had a few great years left in him. Guess it depends if we really think we can make an instant splash next year and contend, and if it's all worth the risk.

We really need Chia and Gretzky to find us a McAvoy and/or Krug. I say those 2, cause these bums actually did do that for Boston (Just Gretzky left in Boston when they got McAvoy). Do it again, damn it.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 16:39]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712714 is a reply to message #712711 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Karlsson's health is a concern, but even in a down year for him after injury he has 58 points in 68 games.

I don't think he will decline so fast. Lot's of high end defenseman remain productive in their mid 30's. I would be happy to take a risk on Karlsson for age 28-36 Even if you get just 3 or 4 good years out of him, those are years where you have the possibly the best player in 2/4 positions. I think that's scary. Only Kucherov/Hedman can rival that. I think just having McDavid-Karlsson makes you ready to contend for a cup.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712717 is a reply to message #712714 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 17:46

Karlsson's health is a concern, but even in a down year for him after injury he has 58 points in 68 games.

I don't think he will decline so fast. Lot's of high end defenseman remain productive in their mid 30's. I would be happy to take a risk on Karlsson for age 28-36 Even if you get just 3 or 4 good years out of him, those are years where you have the possibly the best player in 2/4 positions. I think that's scary. Only Kucherov/Hedman can rival that. I think just having McDavid-Karlsson makes you ready to contend for a cup.

Yeah, I have always found the idea of McDavid+Karlsson enticing. Maybe my reservation now comes from my complete lack in faith that Chia could even accomplish something with those 2 pieces carrying their team on their collective backs. Go through an extra 2 years of Chia bumbling, finally he gets fired, and then the next guy comes in and only has a 1-2 year window before Karlsson starts to decline. That would be a sad way for things to go. Oh, and of course there is McLellan and his clueless buddies...sigh.

I actually would make sense though to look at McDavid's time as an Oiler in 2 windows. His young energetic period where if you were able to surround him with an elite vet like Karlsson and good extra pieces, you could win a cup or 2. Then you have to go through some tough years waiting for the cap to go up, collecting assets again, losing some contracts with declining guys and you can try it all again with McDavid in his mid-late 20's and try to win some more. Karlsson would give us a hell of a chance to win something in these next 2-3 years, if we had management that knew what the hell they're doing.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 18:17]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712706 is a reply to message #712684 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

messier11 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 09:28

I can't decide whether or not I would be for a Drai/EK trade. I like him alot but to have Karlsson with McDavid would be something else.

The problem is that we have no depth at C, so if Drai goes and McDavid/Nuge is a good combo we end up being a 1 line team forever.

Arguably Karlsson has already been at his career apex, and Drai is 22....plus adding significant long term cap hit. Drai is an overpay near term, but I'm looking for a decent winger for him next year and a significant step forward.....the talent is obvious for Drai, but there are things that need to be cleaned up. He can be McDavid's Malkin.

The depth at C thing is huge....do they want to open up another hole to move either Drai or Nuge? It appears that they have the 1LW thing solved with Nuge with McDavid, and you've still got a guy in Nuge with the flexibility to play center either on the top line in situations or down as situations dictate. The earlier speculation of Nuge for Hoffman is puzzling, Hoffman is much less versatile at similar money, and it's questionable whether you'd get any more pop offensively.

I just don't think they're going to try and hit a home run at acquiring a #1 D, given that they've already moved 2 of their best assets on the wing and still don't have that elite D. Now they're in the situation where it looks like they have to find at least one decent winger who can play with LD on the second line, and the rest of the gaps are going to have to be filled internally (JP, Yamamoto).

I don't expect either LD or Nuge to be moved now. Given what was handed to LD, I had expected Nuge the 3rd line center to be out of here in the next year, but given the holes on the wing, Nuge the 1LW who can also play center is a different story.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2018 14:51]

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712707 is a reply to message #712706 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 14:46

Arguably Karlsson has already been at his career apex, and Drai is 22....plus adding significant long term cap hit. Drai is an overpay near term, but I'm looking for a decent winger for him next year and a significant step forward.....the talent is obvious for Drai, but there are things that need to be cleaned up. He can be McDavid's Malkin.

The depth at C thing is huge....do they want to open up another hole to move either Drai or Nuge? It appears that they have the 1LW thing solved with Nuge with McDavid, and you've still got a guy in Nuge with the flexibility to play center either on the top line in situations or down as situations dictate. The earlier speculation of Nuge for Hoffman is puzzling, Hoffman is much less versatile at similar money, and it's questionable whether you'd get any more pop offensively.

I just don't think they're going to try and hit a home run at acquiring a #1 D, given that they've already moved 2 of their best assets on the wing and still don't have that elite D. Now they're in the situation where it looks like they have to find at least one decent winger who can play with LD on the second line, and the rest of the gaps are going to have to be filled internally (JP, Yamamoto).

I don't expect either LD or Nuge to be moved now. Given what was handed to LD, I had expected Nuge the 3rd line center to be out of here in the next year, but given the holes on the wing, Nuge the 1LW who can also play center is a different story.

Is Drai's contract an overpay anymore? Yes we all would like him to be cheaper but when I look at Eichel and his 10mill. 8.5 for Drai is looking pretty good. Drai has 68 pts in 73 games. That is 0.93 pts/game dragging around Aberg and Caggulia for the last few weeks. Eichel always gets hurt and he has 56 pts in 61 games. So that is .918 pts/game. I don't think Eichel is 1.5 mill better than Drai.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712709 is a reply to message #712707 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 14:56

Is Drai's contract an overpay anymore? Yes we all would like him to be cheaper but when I look at Eichel and his 10mill. 8.5 for Drai is looking pretty good. Drai has 68 pts in 73 games. That is 0.93 pts/game dragging around Aberg and Caggulia for the last few weeks. Eichel always gets hurt and he has 56 pts in 61 games. So that is .918 pts/game. I don't think Eichel is 1.5 mill better than Drai.

in 2-3 years, I think Drai will be seen as underpaid or at least very fairly paid. Which will be nice. But, I think Chia still did overpay in the moment, letting Drai's camp overvalue his hot handful of playoff games. Oh well. Chia has a long track record of overpaying.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712712 is a reply to message #712709 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 15:35

in 2-3 years, I think Drai will be seen as underpaid or at least very fairly paid. Which will be nice. But, I think Chia still did overpay in the moment, letting Drai's camp overvalue his hot handful of playoff games. Oh well. Chia has a long track record of overpaying.

I agree. I think he definitely paid up for him. I think this year, he is overpaid slightly. I don't think he is grossly overpaid like maybe 500-750K. But like I said, I think as early as next year, he's underpaid. At worst he's market value next season. Doesn't change that it would have been nice to get him slightly cheaper if you could but I don't think he was signing for any less than 7.75 and I think that is a stretch.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712720 is a reply to message #712709 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Not to mention, Draisaitl’s overpay set the bar for what players who have good years and bad GMs get. If Draisaitl had been paid properly - then it could have meant Eichel doesn’t get his overpay either.

For that matter, if our GM had done his job and tried to convince McDavid to sign for less rather than relying on the player to suggest a discount then the team would not likely have paid Draisaitl as much and both contracts would likely have acted as a drag on Eichel’s pact.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712730 is a reply to message #712720 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 March 2018 20:28

Not to mention, Draisaitl’s overpay set the bar for what players who have good years and bad GMs get. If Draisaitl had been paid properly - then it could have meant Eichel doesn’t get his overpay either.

For that matter, if our GM had done his job and tried to convince McDavid to sign for less rather than relying on the player to suggest a discount then the team would not likely have paid Draisaitl as much and both contracts would likely have acted as a drag on Eichel’s pact.

I get it Chia sucks. He's terrible, he's stupid, he's incompetent, blah, blah, blah. I have heard it a few 100's times by you I am sure. But if you think Leon making 500K more than he maybe should for this season means Eichel was signed for 1.5 mill more than he should, you are dreaming. If you think Matthews making close to McDavid money when he signs has anything to do with Leon, you are dreaming. The guy who set the bar for contracts is McDavid. Come on, let's get serious here. As soon as McDavid signed for 12.5, that was the measuring stick. How much worse of a player is player X vs McDavid.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712731 is a reply to message #712730 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Agreed. Arguably that was obvious beforehand and they should've signed Drai prior to that deal. All his comparables were 6.5 to 7.5 million. What frustrated me about the Drai signing is it dragged into the summer, and then they signed him to absolutely max value. So did Chia start at 7 million and Drai started at 10? Bad negotiating IMO. and IF McD took a bit of a discount (according to the Oilers it was all his idea remember), why didn't Draisatl?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712732 is a reply to message #712731 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 08:42

Agreed. Arguably that was obvious beforehand and they should've signed Drai prior to that deal. All his comparables were 6.5 to 7.5 million. What frustrated me about the Drai signing is it dragged into the summer, and then they signed him to absolutely max value. So did Chia start at 7 million and Drai started at 10? Bad negotiating IMO. and IF McD took a bit of a discount (according to the Oilers it was all his idea remember), why didn't Draisatl?

I think it is a stretch to think Leon's contract isn't close to 8 mill but in a perfect world, Leon's contract starts with a 7. But I believe there was NO CHANCE that Leon and his agent was signing anything before McDavid. The reason is McDavid's contract was going to set the bar. So they wanted to know what that number is before you sign Leon's deal. That's how it works. No player gives a damn about what the lowest guy makes, all they care about is the highest guy and they hedge themselves against that deal. McDavid is at the top, how much less should I make. Let's be real here. if McDavid took 11.5, Leon is close to 7. If McDavid took 13.5, Leon is making more. As soon as McDavid signed, everyone's contract went up by at least 1 mill.

Matthews is one hell of a player but is he as good as McDavid? Not a chance. Will he make close to McDavid money? Yes. Will he be overpaid? Yes. Matthews, his agent and the team are not going to using Leon's contract as the guide.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 March 2018 09:00]

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712733 is a reply to message #712732 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Chiarelli had leverage on Draisatl though. He needed a new contract before the start of the season or he would've had to sit out. McD didn't need to get done in the summer. On their own these two contract moves aren't all that damning for Chiarelli, just imperfect. But they get added to the list along with the poor trades. You start wondering what exactly are his strengths?

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712734 is a reply to message #712733 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 09:25

Chiarelli had leverage on Draisatl though. He needed a new contract before the start of the season or he would've had to sit out. McD didn't need to get done in the summer. On their own these two contract moves aren't all that damning for Chiarelli, just imperfect. But they get added to the list along with the poor trades. You start wondering what exactly are his strengths?

You’re arguing against this board’s biggest apologist for management. Apparently the job is almost impossible to do and there is no strategy you could ever employ that wouldn’t result in the Oilers getting screwed so we should just accept that Chiarelli is trying really hard, even though he keeps losing trades and overpaying players.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712735 is a reply to message #712733 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 09:25

So if the Oilers waited to do McDavid's new extension and he goes along like he is doing right now to win back to back Art Ross's. Maybe McDavid doesn't win the Hart this year but he's probably in the running and will probably win the Ted Lindsay which is the award for the best player in the league voted by the players. If McDavid wins back to back Art Ross's and challenges for the Rocket Richard trophy, chances are he will win the Ted Lindsay. I live in the real world here. So if he has back to back Art Ross's, a hart and 2 Ted Lindsay's, what will his next contract be if they waited? 14-15 mill? People said he left money on the table last year, which he probably did so I don't think its wrong to say his contract would be a couple mill more if he had more trophies with his name on it regardless if they missed the playoffs. So maybe the Oilers paid Leon even 1 mill too much over this season and maybe the next but so what. They probably saved 2+ mill by signing McDavid when they did.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712736 is a reply to message #712735 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Suuuuure. Except McDavid, allegedly, took a pay cut for the team's benefit so one assumes he would've acted the same, and maybe Drai's contract affects his number. Draisatl clearly did not. Leon is great. I'm thrilled he's locked up. but he signed for max max value ASSUMING he becomes an elite centre (he's shown flashes but isn't there yet). As an elite winger it was arguably an overpay (vs. Gaudreau/Tarasenko/etc).

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712738 is a reply to message #712736 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 10:17

Suuuuure. Except McDavid, allegedly, took a pay cut for the team's benefit so one assumes he would've acted the same, and maybe Drai's contract affects his number. Draisatl clearly did not. Leon is great. I'm thrilled he's locked up. but he signed for max max value ASSUMING he becomes an elite centre (he's shown flashes but isn't there yet). As an elite winger it was arguably an overpay (vs. Gaudreau/Tarasenko/etc).

So you think that the Oilers would have signed McDavid for 12.5 this summer if he has back to back Art Ross's? OK if you say so. In my opinion, I think that would never happen but there is no way for me to physically prove that couldn't happen. The only thing that is a guarantee in life is death and taxes so I supposed anything is possible.

I appreciate the debate. Have a good one.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 March 2018 10:27]

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712755 is a reply to message #712738 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 10:25

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 10:17

So you think that the Oilers would have signed McDavid for 12.5 this summer if he has back to back Art Ross's? OK if you say so. In my opinion, I think that would never happen but there is no way for me to physically prove that couldn't happen. The only thing that is a guarantee in life is death and taxes so I supposed anything is possible.

I appreciate the debate. Have a good one.

Life is also guaranteed in life. Kids that die before earning income don't pay tax, so tax is not guaranteed.

McDavid could have taken a discount, and a shrewd manager would've done better than our crappy management did, at making a discount a reality. The dude self-inflicted a discount for f-sakes... that said, I don't think he really did, I think that was typical Oilers' spin.

Good does a better job than crappy, that is also a guarantee in life.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712754 is a reply to message #712735 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 09:54

the Ted Lindsay which is the award for the best player in the league voted by the players.

I had been searching the internet for what exactly this Trophy was for as I heard on the latest telecast, the broadcast crew talking about McDavid and the Ted Lindsay. Thank you for clarifying for me what the Ted Lindsay awards.

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712743 is a reply to message #712731 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Well, clearly there's no discount in the LD deal, agree with you there, and on the timing. LD was the one whose entry level deal was expiring, that should have been done first when the market didn't include the McDavid salary.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712745 is a reply to message #712743 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 11:24

Well, clearly there's no discount in the LD deal, agree with you there, and on the timing. LD was the one whose entry level deal was expiring, that should have been done first when the market didn't include the McDavid salary.

I definitely agree with you. Leon did not give a discount, he got max money. Where I disagree is I don't think he was ever going to sign a deal until after McDavid's was done. His agent would know before hand that McDavid's contract would set the bar. I was actually surprised that McDavid took 12.5. I thought it would be well over 13.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 March 2018 11:43]

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712752 is a reply to message #712745 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 11:40

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 11:24

I definitely agree with you. Leon did not give a discount, he got max money. Where I disagree is I don't think he was ever going to sign a deal until after McDavid's was done. His agent would know before hand that McDavid's contract would set the bar. I was actually surprised that McDavid took 12.5. I thought it would be well over 13.

The Oilers didn't need to ink McDavid when they did. Leon's entry deal was expiring. I don't think there was much leverage to be had. Where does it go? Arbitration? So what? What's max value for a 2nd line center after an arbitration bridge? Offer sheet? Bring it. I think PC did things ass-backwards.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712713 is a reply to message #712707 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

As compared to Eichel, not an overpay. It's debatable whether they had to give Leon that for his second contract, but PC doesn't do anything productive with cap space anyway, so it's probably a moot point. I think Drai's going to improve some elements of his game and in going forward the contract could look pretty damn good.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712708 is a reply to message #712684 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Karlsson for Drai would be a dream scenario for the Oilers. They'd have the dominant D-man for the first time since Christopher F Pronger took his ball and went home.

I just don't think this is what Ottawa wants. They want to get cheaper in the short term. I would expect they would rather accept a deal for Sergachev plus a cheap forward (Brayden Point?) plus picks and prospects. Lightning will be crazy good for a long time.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712721 is a reply to message #712708 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

I know Karlsson is twice the player as Ryan Whitney, but ankle injuries scare me. I would not give Karlsson that term and length of contract. He may be skating on bum ankles.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712722 is a reply to message #712721 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

If it was Karlsson 3-5 years ago. Yes in a heartbeat. Karlsson now...Pass. He'd look good maybe 1-2 seasons, but he'd dramatically decline. Sort of like Letang out of Pittsburgh. Still better then we have now, but no way do you trade a 22 yr old center in Draisaitl for him. If Klefbom had a decent season, I'd do Klef and this years 1st for Karlsson on the condition of a signed contract and that's about it. Anything more then that is another trade we'll all b%$#^ about being a massive over payment. Our forcus this offseason should be expelling Lucic's contract and freeing up some cap space to lock down the other holes we have on this team. Better yet, get rid of Chirelli and get me up in that sky lounge manning the phones. I'm sure I can get Montreal to take Lucic.

Re: Draisaitl for Karlsson [message #712726 is a reply to message #712722 ]
Thu, 29 March 2018 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

What is the evidence that Karlsson is on a decline?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Draisaitl
Next Topic:The Case Against Lucic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca