This day on September 25
Departed: Roy Sommer (1982)

Happy Birthday To: butthead, hroyh, oilfanstan, josh, Estevan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712549]
Tue, 27 March 2018 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   32%
Columbus to win:   68%
28 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Tuesday, December 12, 2017Edmonton 7 @ Columbus 2Win
Tuesday, March 27, 2018Columbus 7 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 3/7 Total: 10
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/2 Total: 9

2016-17 Regular Season
Tuesday, December 13, 2016Columbus 3 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Tuesday, January 3, 2017Edmonton 1 @ Columbus 3Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/1 Total: 2
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/3 Total: 6

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712551 is a reply to message #712549 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Must McPoints!!

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712559 is a reply to message #712549 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Columbus is misspelled.

Go McPoints

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712565 is a reply to message #712559 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

McDavid needs a few more points. Maybe they can go in and blow out the Jackets like they did last time. Then Tortorella can punch a hole in a wall, lip off the media and go on an F-bomb rant. icon_lol

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712571 is a reply to message #712559 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 07:16

Columbus is misspelled.

Oops, didn't even notice earlier! Thanks for pointing it out. Oddly enough the other Columbi were spelled properly in the database.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712568 is a reply to message #712549 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I would like to see McDavid get 3 more points tonight. The results don't matter.

This is where we are at Oilers fans.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712569 is a reply to message #712568 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 09:01

I would like to see McDavid get 3 more points tonight. The results don't matter.

Brother, we've been here for longer than the elders can remember.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712570 is a reply to message #712568 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I think the results do matter. The Oilers players keep talking about how bad this season has gone but keep alluding to it being a one off. I am sure that many fans will have a hard time believing it is a one off season and are skeptical about the roster. But if the players in their minds actually believe it is a one off year, then prove it. Finish strong, win as many games as you can.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712576 is a reply to message #712570 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 09:06

I think the results do matter. The Oilers players keep talking about how bad this season has gone but keep alluding to it being a one off. I am sure that many fans will have a hard time believing it is a one off season and are skeptical about the roster. But if the players in their minds actually believe it is a one off year, then prove it. Finish strong, win as many games as you can.

That would be amazing if they all of a sudden picked up where 2017 left off, but the roster is just not the same.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712579 is a reply to message #712576 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 09:45

That would be amazing if they all of a sudden picked up where 2017 left off, but the roster is just not the same.

If Talbot, Sek and Klef get back to their old selves, I think it's about the same. What killed us in the end this year is Chia ignoring how 2 of his top 3 D last year were toast from the drop of the first puck, and have zero backup for Talbot if he struggled which he unfortunately did for the first 1-2 months of the year and all we had to back him up was someone that's worse than struggling Talbot. All that along with abysmal special teams.

Sek is probably the least likely to rebound, but we don't really have a choice but to hope it happens since he's locked in on this team.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712588 is a reply to message #712579 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 08:51

If Talbot, Sek and Klef get back to their old selves, I think it's about the same. What killed us in the end this year is Chia ignoring how 2 of his top 3 D last year were toast from the drop of the first puck, and have zero backup for Talbot if he struggled which he unfortunately did for the first 1-2 months of the year and all we had to back him up was someone that's worse than struggling Talbot. All that along with abysmal special teams.

Sek is probably the least likely to rebound, but we don't really have a choice but to hope it happens since he's locked in on this team.

This tweet from Jack Michaels is pretty devastating:

Quote:

Put another way, here’s some MVP candidates and their teams’ respective points % when they do NOT have a point...

Kopitar .477
Hall .444
Kucherov .441
Malkin .400
MacKinnon .368

McDavid .182

https://twitter.com/EdmontonJack/status/978396368141103105

I agree that the defence should be better next year, but the forward depth is nowhere near what it was in 16/17. Even ignoring the obvious deletions in Eberle, Pouliot and even Pitlick, but Letestu had 16 goals that year. Now, it's likely that he never would have reached that level again, but if the team wants to get back to the level they were at in 16/17, they've got to replace those goals somehow.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 March 2018 10:49]

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712594 is a reply to message #712588 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 10:46

Quote:

Put another way, here’s some MVP candidates and their teams’ respective points % when they do NOT have a point...

Kopitar .477
Hall .444
Kucherov .441
Malkin .400
MacKinnon .368

McDavid .182

I agree that the defence should be better next year, but the forward depth is nowhere near what it was in 16/17. Even ignoring the obvious deletions in Eberle, Pouliot and even Pitlick, but Letestu had 16 goals that year. Now, it's likely that he never would have reached that level again, but if the team wants to get back to the level they were at in 16/17, they've got to replace those goals somehow.

I'm really not sure why there is all this talk about our defense. Our forward depth is brutal and it's been mutilated with the trades and has not been addressed for a few years now. You can't just get rid of Hall, Eberle, Pouliot, Pitlick, etc. points and just hope that everyone else on the team gets better.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712610 is a reply to message #712588 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 10:46

Quote:

Kopitar .477
Hall .444
Kucherov .441
Malkin .400
MacKinnon .368

McDavid .182

As of now, the place where we suck at goal scoring compared to last year is basically just the PP. Our goals for per 60 5v5 is actually up from last season. 6th in the NHL in 5v5 goals right now, and of course dead last in PP goals, tampa has more than double the PP goals we have.

If McLellan isn't an idiot, and keeps McDavid and Drai on separate lines and Nuge on the wing, we could end up scoring just as well at evens again next year as we did this year and last year. Bonus if Pulju can finally take that next step, or Chia finds a guy like Vanek to add some proper depth. But it's an absolute must that we fix these special teams next year. These guys are dumb if there isn't some kind of shakeup with this coaching staff to get some new ideas.

I'm surprised actually that we have scored as much as we have 5v5 this year. It is very largely due to McDavid of course, but almost all year we've been doing it with far far worse performance from our D than last season.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 March 2018 13:10]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712618 is a reply to message #712588 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 13:46

Quote:

Kopitar .477
Hall .444
Kucherov .441
Malkin .400
MacKinnon .368

McDavid .182

Fun thing that happened in the last few weeks since McDavid has been on a tear - people are starting to talk about him for the Hart. Seeing a lot more of these articles (not just Edmonton media) about being in on by far the highest % of his team's goals, being in the running for the Richard and Art Ross, etc...

A lot of pundits I've heard seem to have it down to Mackinnon and McDavid as the front runners with Hall, Malkin, Kopitar, and Marchand as contenders.

I'm thinking this will be one of the closest races in years.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712619 is a reply to message #712618 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 14:06

Goose wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 13:46

Quote:

Kopitar .477
Hall .444
Kucherov .441
Malkin .400
MacKinnon .368

McDavid .182

Fun thing that happened in the last few weeks since McDavid has been on a tear - people are starting to talk about him for the Hart. Seeing a lot more of these articles (not just Edmonton media) about being in on by far the highest % of his team's goals, being in the running for the Richard and Art Ross, etc...

A lot of pundits I've heard seem to have it down to Mackinnon and McDavid as the front runners with Hall, Malkin, Kopitar, and Marchand as contenders.

I'm thinking this will be one of the closest races in years.

I may be wrong, but I don't really see McDavid cracking the top 3. I think most voters still operate with the requirement of the players team needing to be in the playoffs or just barely out, as much as Oilers fans are making a stink online about how it shouldn't be like that. And maybe it shouldn't, but still think it is.

Bet McDavid wins the Ted Lindsay though.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712590 is a reply to message #712576 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I never said the roster was the same. All I said was the main players on the Oilers think this season was just a one off season and they will be back. I have no clue if that is true but if the players believe that, then put your money where your mouth is and have a strong finish. A strong finish doesn't mean it will translate to next year but it sure can't hurt.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712595 is a reply to message #712590 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I just read from Reid Wilkins on twitter that for tonight's game, McLellan will not have PP units but will roll lines. Hmmm interesting. The PP has sucked all year yet the 5 on 5 has been pretty good. At this point, why not. Maybe when they load up for a PP unit they over think things. Last game, they went 3 forwards, 2 dmen and scored with Bear.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712597 is a reply to message #712595 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24 is currently online K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 11:37

I just read from Reid Wilkins on twitter that for tonight's game, McLellan will not have PP units but will roll lines. Hmmm interesting. The PP has sucked all year yet the 5 on 5 has been pretty good. At this point, why not. Maybe when they load up for a PP unit they over think things. Last game, they went 3 forwards, 2 dmen and scored with Bear.

I think this makes sense for 2 reasons. 'Loading up' didn't generate results, obviously, and line combinations were messed up subsequent to the man advantage.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712598 is a reply to message #712597 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Will be pretty damning on the coaches if "rolling the lines" produces at a better rate than powerplay units that have been practicing together all year.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712604 is a reply to message #712598 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24 is currently online K.McC#24

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 11:45

Will be pretty damning on the coaches if "rolling the lines" produces at a better rate than powerplay units that have been practicing together all year.

I have to think that the staff, perhaps the entire staff, is on thin ice. Given this year's special teams performance which quite likely was a huge part of the difference between where they're at and probably sitting in a wild card position, and given what has to be seen as a real stubbornness to adapt in terms of special teams and player utilization/line combos, how can they be back after these abject failures?

Hard to say what the order of fallout will be. Will PC get a chance to rebuild his coaching staff before he's removed....would McLellan be retained and assistants be replaced? Would the Oilers retain the staff and remove PC? I think something's going to give, how much is anyone's guess.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712602 is a reply to message #712590 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 11:16

I never said the roster was the same. All I said was the main players on the Oilers think this season was just a one off season and they will be back. I have no clue if that is true but if the players believe that, then put your money where your mouth is and have a strong finish. A strong finish doesn't mean it will translate to next year but it sure can't hurt.

It could hurt. Management could belive that they don't have much work to do, like last year. It could over inflate player confidence. It would hurt in a lot of ways.

Re: Pregame: Coloumbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712605 is a reply to message #712602 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 12:08

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 11:16

It could hurt. Management could belive that they don't have much work to do, like last year. It could over inflate player confidence. It would hurt in a lot of ways.

How do you think a strong finish will over inflate a players confidence? The Oilers were a 103 pt team and got screwed out of the Western finals last year. They were pegged to be one of the early season cup favorites. This year they will be what, 80 pt team and well back of the playoffs. The team grossly underachieved. The majority of the team had down years. What is there to be over confident about?

When it comes to management. I know most in here think they suck and they don't deserve to get a lot of fan faith but I don't think they are stupid enough to think that a 15 game stretch means they have no work to with the roster. What I think it does do is stop them from doing something drastic. 2 months ago it was a lock that Nuge was gone with many of us thinking they needed a winger for McDavid. With the Oilers strong play and Nuge finding chemistry with McDavid, I do not think they need to blow their brains out for a top 6 winger. I could see some changes to the mix with adding some different type of players and more depth. But I don't see them subtracting from the main guys on this roster to do it which I think is a good thing.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712615 is a reply to message #712549 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Reid Wilkins @ReidWilkins
McLellan says they will roll regular lines on the PP tonight rather than having PP units.

So we don't need Woodcroft anymore?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712617 is a reply to message #712615 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 13:03

McLellan says they will roll regular lines on the PP tonight rather than having PP units.

I think they just gave up on Woodcroft.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712630 is a reply to message #712615 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 14:03

Do any other teams do this? Is this anther re-invent the wheel sort of a thing? Assume McDavid/Nuge/Rattie will be a lone tonight then... is he changing it up so Lucic and Draisaitl are on the same line? How could he not give PP time to Lucic??

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712633 is a reply to message #712630 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 15:03

... is he changing it up so Lucic and Draisaitl are on the same line? How could he not give PP time to Lucic??

....apparently Lucic will be on the third line (Strome, Puljujarvi)....Pakarinen out, Kassian in...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/morning-skate-report-oilers- vs-blue-jackets/c-297343766?tid=282301100

...Adam Larsson Oiler nominee for Masterton...

https://www.tsn.ca/masterton-trophy-nominees-revealed-1.1039 198

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712635 is a reply to message #712633 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 15:35

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 15:03

... is he changing it up so Lucic and Draisaitl are on the same line? How could he not give PP time to Lucic??

....apparently Lucic will be on the third line (Strome, Puljujarvi)....Pakarinen out, Kassian in...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/morning-skate-report-oilers- vs-blue-jackets/c-297343766?tid=282301100

...Adam Larsson Oiler nominee for Masterton...

https://www.tsn.ca/masterton-trophy-nominees-revealed-1.1039 198

Going to game with client, would rather be going snowboarding off the Whitemud in Snow Valley.

What really pisses me off, is that I should be enjoying a clinch game, or a ramp up for playoffs game from the team tonight, but I very much will not be.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 March 2018 15:59]

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712636 is a reply to message #712549 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Resale prices for tonights game are very high. Whats going on?

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712637 is a reply to message #712636 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 16:36

McDavid effect?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712638 is a reply to message #712637 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 16:45

McDavid effect?

There is a sucker born ever 0.8 minutes in Edmonton?

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77) [message #712679 is a reply to message #712637 ]
Wed, 28 March 2018 08:00 Go to previous message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 16:45

McDavid effect?

Fan appreciation

Previous Topic:GDT: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #77)
Next Topic:GDT: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #76)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca