This day on June 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mark Moose-E-eh?, WELLOILEDMACHINE, oiler_head

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711431]
Thu, 08 March 2018 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   26%
NY Islanders to win:   74%
34 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711435 is a reply to message #711431 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Lord be praised for McDavid's rare time away from Lucic.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711437 is a reply to message #711431 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

It’s a shame the post got in the way of that OT penalty shot, but a McPoint is a McPoint

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711438 is a reply to message #711431 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Got an opportunity to go to the game. Wow, 58 minutes of garbage fire with fans resorting to booing and hurling abuse at the Oilers. Then 7 minutes and 1 shot of rockin' and rollin' with the Ol' 97.

Looch looks spectacularly bad in person. Puljujarvi skates massive figure 8's around the ice all game- never in position, has no clue where the play is or is going (and I think he's one of the better Oilers). Klefbom and Sekera are terrifying on the point, just no idea what to do under pressure. Larsson is a cheap dirty old Salming-style defensive bastard (that's a compliment and I love it). Kassian is coasting around centre all the time waiting for breakaway hail Mary passes and is totally out of position. The rest of the team was invisible for the most part.

This team has no flow, no direction, no plan other than give it to Connor and see what happens.

That was a fun 7 minutes though!!! A really really fun McDavid Show.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711439 is a reply to message #711438 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 23:22

Got an opportunity to go to the game. Wow, 58 minutes of garbage fire with fans resorting to booing and hurling abuse at the Oilers. Then 7 minutes and 1 shot of rockin' and rollin' with the Ol' 97.

Looch looks spectacularly bad in person. Puljujarvi skates massive figure 8's around the ice all game- never in position, has no clue where the play is or is going (and I think he's one of the better Oilers). Klefbom and Sekera are terrifying on the point, just no idea what to do under pressure. Larsson is a cheap dirty old Salming-style defensive bastard (that's a compliment and I love it). Kassian is coasting around centre all the time waiting for breakaway hail Mary passes and is totally out of position. The rest of the team was invisible for the most part.

This team has no flow, no direction, no plan other than give it to Connor and see what happens.

That was a fun 7 minutes though!!! A really really fun McDavid Show.

Sad commentary on the coaching staff your comments are. Players being clueless at least partially means the coaches aren't reaching them or their system is not working or both. Throw Looch down the well! McPoint FTW!

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711457 is a reply to message #711431 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

5:50 I thought the Oilers were going to lose so I left the game.

Who knew a game was going to break out in the last 5 minutes. So mad I walked away but hey, that's hockey I guess!

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711497 is a reply to message #711457 ]
Sat, 10 March 2018 11:49 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 09 March 2018 10:48

5:50 I thought the Oilers were going to lose so I left the game.

Who knew a game was going to break out in the last 5 minutes. So mad I walked away but hey, that's hockey I guess!

My buddy asked me with 5 minutes left if we should take off and avoid the crowd. I explained to him the Oilers' plan of mailing it in for 58 minutes and then having McDavid set up or pop in a goal in the last couple of minutes so we could get to overtime and have a chance.

And then it happened!

Never leave a one goal game!!!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711464 is a reply to message #711431 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

Khaira is now my 2nd favorite Oiler for the year.

Not just because of his Clutterbuck beatdown, but in general he plays like he cares.

If we had a whole team of Khaira's we'd be a good as Vegas.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711465 is a reply to message #711464 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

messier11 wrote on Fri, 09 March 2018 11:53

Not just because of his Clutterbuck beatdown, but in general he plays like he cares.

And the Oilers would be way under the cap!

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711469 is a reply to message #711464 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

messier11 wrote on Fri, 09 March 2018 11:53

the whole league could learn a thing or two from Vegas, at least the coaches and players could.

they actually allow their players to have fun, go out and be creative, and to not be robots.

I think their success is in some way an indictment on the league, for how conservative and boring and overcoached many teams are.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 March 2018 13:09]

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711488 is a reply to message #711469 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I haven't really watched Vegas much but have to agree that it has gotten to be such a systems overcoached game. Fun for the likes of McDavid who they trust to be creative but not so much for the players down the pecking order. Not sure how our players view the coaches in Edmonton but it has always struck me that way, worried about making mistakes because the coaches have such a tight grip on the reins and micro manage every move. Khaira is turning into a very valuable player for us. Hard for the other team to handle and fearless.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711490 is a reply to message #711431 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

First game I've watched in weeks thanks to vacation and the flue... hot damn is McDavid good. Watching him day in and day out makes it easy to become acclimated to his brilliance, and seeing him play after not watching hockey for a while reminds me how good this team could be because of him, and how badly everything has been bungled by management.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Next Topic:GDT: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca