Home / Road Goals Against: 1/1 Total: 2

2016-17 Regular Season
Saturday, November 5, 2016Edmonton 4 @ NY Islanders 3 (OT) (SO)Win
Tuesday, March 7, 2017NY Islanders 4 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/4 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/3 Total: 7

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711353 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Since this is going to be the Eberle Thread Redux anyway, I hope we find out one day why Eberle performed poorly, relative to his career norms, last season.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711371 is a reply to message #711353 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 08:17

Since this is going to be the Eberle Thread Redux anyway, I hope we find out one day why Eberle performed poorly, relative to his career norms, last season.

Why focus on only Eberle when you can talk about Barzal, Davidson and even Beauvillier!

Also - I blame much regression of multiple players on the team over the last three years to having a stubborn coach who believes in mashing players in to his system, rather than designing a system around who he has for players.

And despite the diplomatic tone that Eberle struck yesterday, I do think that Edmonton media is terrible, unfair in its approach with players, uses kid gloves on management despite most of the blame lying there, and is a contributor in how terrible things have been.

I wonder if other GMs don't just send Spector articles and Rishaug soundbites to Chiarelli when they're trying explain why they're only willing to give up a much lesser player in a one-for-one deal and Chia should just cave like we all know he's going to and say yes...

Speaking of which, I wonder what teams have scouts in the building tonight watching how injured Klefbom performs so they can buy him at 10 cents on the dollar this summer...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711378 is a reply to message #711371 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 10:49

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 08:17

And despite the diplomatic tone that Eberle struck yesterday, I do think that Edmonton media is terrible, unfair in its approach with players, uses kid gloves on management despite most of the blame lying there, and is a contributor in how terrible things have been.

Yup, I was joking with my buddy asking him of he had seen the in-depth interviews asking serious questions with McDavid, Draisaitl, TMac and Chia. I then corrected myself and said "Ooops, I mean Hall, Hynes and Shero in NJ and even Eberle on CHED yesterday". We chuckled because the first part would never happen. No accountability here as you say.

It's good to see the "Snow Must Go" campaign- makes me feel like we're not alone dealing with brutal management. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/islanders-fans-raise-mon ey-snow-must-go-billboards-protest-gm/

And the Isles on a 7 game losing streak! Who hasn't scored for them in 70 games and do they know they should play their backup goalie?

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711354 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Can this team at least embrace the spoiler role? Some good games coming up where we can totally screw teams over for their attempt to get into the playoffs.

Good night for McDavid to try to catch Malkin and Kucherov. Islanders let in a lot of goals. That probably means we get shut out though.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711356 is a reply to message #711354 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 07:18

Can this team at least embrace the spoiler role? Some good games coming up where we can totally screw teams over for their attempt to get into the playoffs.

Good night for McDavid to try to catch Malkin and Kucherov. Islanders let in a lot of goals. That probably means we get shut out though.

It depends, is NY starting their back-up? If so, we're screwed.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711357 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Think I saw Lucic is questionable with Illness.

If he misses, what do we do with McDavid? Just sit him out too? Or just play his line with no LW?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711360 is a reply to message #711357 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 08:26

If he misses, what do we do with McDavid? Just sit him out too? Or just play his line with no LW?

Ohh we got LW's, LW's for miles. You simply move Lucic to IR and then call up Keegan Lowe to be D and Auvitu to be the wing.

GM'ing is so... so.. SO easy.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711369 is a reply to message #711357 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 07:26

Addition by subtraction.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711372 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Hopefully Eberle can pull out some of his Playoff magic from last year and cost his own team to lose a huge game.

Only 2 things left to watch for me this season, the Flames being eliminated and McDavid for the Art Ross.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711373 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Wow, that Eberle is some kinda player. He's got the Islanders ...... in a way worse place than they were last year. Congrats.

Their gameplan seems to be do whatever the hell you want, who cares how much the other guys score. So, he's really playing no different than he was here. Was going to laugh my ass off as he no showed for another playoffs, but I won't even get to do that.

At least Hall admitted he had no interest in actually winning when he was here. Finally grows some kind of conscience, actually listens to his coach, and he's producing. Even that might not be enough, Devils are falling down the standings and aren't far from missing out themselves.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711374 is a reply to message #711373 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 11:14

Wow, that Eberle is some kinda player. He's got the Islanders ...... in a way worse place than they were last year. Congrats.

Their gameplan seems to be do whatever the hell you want, who cares how much the other guys score. So, he's really playing no different than he was here. Was going to laugh my ass off as he no showed for another playoffs, but I won't even get to do that.

At least Hall admitted he had no interest in actually winning when he was here. Finally grows some kind of conscience, actually listens to his coach, and he's producing. Even that might not be enough, Devils are falling down the standings and aren't far from missing out themselves.

So you're happy having Strome, cap space, and a lower place in the standings? I'm unsure what point you're trying to make here.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711377 is a reply to message #711374 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

The complaining about the Eberle trade from Oiler fans is totally in hindsight. Eberle was the Lucic last season. Anyone remember his 18 games without a goal? Everyone wanted him on the first train out of Edmonton, low shooting percentage or not. The Playoffs were his nail in the coffin from all of us. He wasn't a player that we thought could be part of a winning Playoff team.

So for me personally, I STILL don't mind the trade because I don't want to be like "Oh damn, why did the Oilers trade him?!" when I was with all of you last season in seeing him gone.

My MAIN issue with the entire thing was that the trade was made to to clear cap space and that wasn't used.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711380 is a reply to message #711377 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 10:33

The complaining about the Eberle trade from Oiler fans is totally in hindsight. Eberle was the Lucic last season. Anyone remember his 18 games without a goal? Everyone wanted him on the first train out of Edmonton, low shooting percentage or not. The Playoffs were his nail in the coffin from all of us. He wasn't a player that we thought could be part of a winning Playoff team.

So for me personally, I STILL don't mind the trade because I don't want to be like "Oh damn, why did the Oilers trade him?!" when I was with all of you last season in seeing him gone.

My MAIN issue with the entire thing was that the trade was made to to clear cap space and that wasn't used.

You're forgetting that not only was there a lunch mob running Eberle out of town, the expectation was that the return for him would be based on past Eberle, not present. We know Chia's record of maximizing a players value and return.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711385 is a reply to message #711380 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 11:45

You're forgetting that not only was there a lunch mob running Eberle out of town, the expectation was that the return for him would be based on past Eberle, not present. We know Chia's record of maximizing a players value and return.

Yeah, I'm fine with Eberle being traded. I'm not fine with what he was traded for. Whether or not Eberle is what this team needs (a winger who can score) is immaterial to the fact Eberle is more of what this team needs than Strome and unused cap space.

I can't wait for Klefbom's return game next season. We can have the same discussion. Maybe Klef wasn't the answer, but he's a better answer than <insert 3rd line winger, long shot prospect, and or 4th round draft pick in 2019 here>.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711392 is a reply to message #711385 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 13:06

Yeah, I'm fine with Eberle being traded. I'm not fine with what he was traded for. Whether or not Eberle is what this team needs (a winger who can score) is immaterial to the fact Eberle is more of what this team needs than Strome and unused cap space.

I can't wait for Klefbom's return game next season. We can have the same discussion. Maybe Klef wasn't the answer, but he's a better answer than <insert 3rd line winger, long shot prospect, and or 4th round draft pick in 2019 here>.

I was against him being traded.

We didn't have depth at his position and he was having his worst year.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711393 is a reply to message #711392 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 13:24

I was against him being traded.

We didn't have depth at his position and he was having his worst year.

Oh look at that, Mr. Hindsight shows up. Right on cue.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711397 is a reply to message #711393 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Totally. No one said anything against trading him. Everyone was on board for trading one of the best wingers in the league.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711416 is a reply to message #711385 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

sentiments echoed

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711406 is a reply to message #711377 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 11:33

I wouldn't say everyone thought a deal should be done. You can check the tape, but I'm pretty sure I consistently said that you don't trade him unless you get a really good return and you're unlikely to get that return coming off his worst season ever.

Dealing him for a player in the same position who has proven to be 60% of the performer is foolish. Dealing him for "cap space" only makes sense if you use that cap space for something other than lining Katz's pockets.

It was just one more example of why the Oilers have the worst management in the entire league.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711379 is a reply to message #711374 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 11:18

So you're happy having Strome, cap space, and a lower place in the standings? I'm unsure what point you're trying to make here.

I'm saying whatever the questions are with this team, Eberle wasn't the answer.

Strome was an underwhelming return, but maybe the rest of the league watched the playoffs last year too, and there wasn't a lineup of people who were interested in Eberle. We didn't really need cap space this year, but we certainly do next year. If Eberle had come out this year and done what he did last year (nothing), would anybody be willing to paying $6 million for him? Could you deal that contract for anything?

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711399 is a reply to message #711379 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 11:39

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 11:18

I'm saying whatever the questions are with this team, Eberle wasn't the answer.

Strome was an underwhelming return, but maybe the rest of the league watched the playoffs last year too, and there wasn't a lineup of people who were interested in Eberle. We didn't really need cap space this year, but we certainly do next year. If Eberle had come out this year and done what he did last year (nothing), would anybody be willing to paying $6 million for him? Could you deal that contract for anything?

Or maybe the rest of the league watched Chia trade Tyler, Taylor, and acquire Griff?

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711384 is a reply to message #711374 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

Take for what it's worth but the Oilers are paying Strome $80645 for each of his points and the Islanders are paying Eberle $126660 for each of his. $46000 extra per point is quite a bit to me.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711386 is a reply to message #711384 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

And if McDavid scores 100 points next year at $12,500,000 then he will be getting paid $125,000 per point. That doesn't mean we should trade him for a Ryan Strome type too.

Good players get paid well, because there are less of them and they help you win games.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711388 is a reply to message #711386 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 13:10

And if McDavid scores 100 points next year at $12,500,000 then he will be getting paid $125,000 per point. That doesn't mean we should trade him for a Ryan Strome type too.

Good players get paid well, because there are less of them and they help you win games.

Sacrilege! The bum is overpaid. We need to lose a trade with McDAvid ASAP!

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711391 is a reply to message #711386 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'm not saying it's a perfect metric. McDavid controls the ice when he's on it. Eberle does not. Can you say Eberle controls the outcome anymore than Strome does?

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711387 is a reply to message #711384 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 13:03

Take for what it's worth but the Oilers are paying Strome $80645 for each of his points and the Islanders are paying Eberle $126660 for each of his. $46000 extra per point is quite a bit to me.

Let's see, Jujhar has a cap hit of $675,000 and has 20 points. That's $33,750 / point. Since the salary cap is roughly 75 million the Oilers could have... 111 Jujhars playing for them. I think that would be the most efficient use of cap space.

Oh wait, they can only have 21 Jujhars. Shoot. I forgot that part. Despite his dollars / point, uh, metric being really good I don't think that's the most successful way to build a team. Even though 21 Jujhars would leave 60 million in cap space for goalies. Can Jujhar play net? Unused cap space is good, right?

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711389 is a reply to message #711387 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Have you watched any Islander games? Is Eberle doing all the heavy lifting or is it just that he got lucky and got put on Barzal's line? Strome is putting up points not sitting beside the future Calder trophy winner. I'm not saying cost per point is a great metric but you can't tell me that Eberle is making that much of a difference than Strome would if he were ridding on the same line.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711395 is a reply to message #711389 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

If Strome was a good player, he's had lots of opportunity on that weak Islanders team to play with Tavares.

They even thought he would be playing wing for McDavid in Edmonton. McLellan figured out that he shouldn't pretty quick. Like really quick. I think...he's just not that good.

Meanwhile, Eberle is scoring at the same rate he always has. But the narrative is that he's riding off of rookie Barzal's success?

One day, people will stop making excuses.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 March 2018 18:23]

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711398 is a reply to message #711395 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'm not making any excuses. I hated the trade that lost the Barzal pick from the moment it was made. He would help with a lot of the issues that plague the team right now.I just don't think the Eberle trade was that bad from the hockey side of it and when you add in the financial side of it, it actually makes good sense. Eberle does not exert his will on a game any more than Strome does and at a significant price increase at that.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711409 is a reply to message #711374 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

You truly think Eberle would have changed the teams standings this year? Truly think the smooth hands, unwilling ability to play hard player would bump this team up? This team has been cursed with bad luck this year, so many ridiculous bounces (most off Russell - please retire). Cam Talbot has been average at best, Leon was injured for longer then I believe we truly knew, McDavid was swamped with a killer stomach flu, Klef was hurt, Larsson missed games - it was truly a perfect storm of crap. Add that to a coaching staff who is unable to adapt and change and have the team prepared and you have this years oilers.

As for Hall - good on him - PC gave up on him before he matured , ala Tyler Seguin. The Griffin trade was brutal hands down brutal and will haunt us forever.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711410 is a reply to message #711409 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

I did have to do a bit of a double take this morning when I heard an interview with Dougie Weight where he mentioned how tenacious Ebs was on the forecheck, and how hard he battled in corners for the puck.

Not sure if he was just talking his player up, or if he has genuinely changed his game since being traded, but that sure doesn't describe the Eberle I watched for the 6 or so years he was here.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711382 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Islanders on a huge losing streak, Eberle's 'homecoming' to his beloved Oiler fans, Has all the makings of a feel good story for the Islanders with Eberle being a factor in breaking the losing streak. Hope I'm wrong but it would be a typical Oiler scenario.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711396 is a reply to message #711382 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I still don't have a problem with Eberle getting traded. It was going to have to happen. Could the Oilers have waited 1 more season to trade him? Yes, they had the cap space to keep him for 1 more season. However, I was of the belief and I still am that if Eberle stayed here, he was destine to have another season like he did last year. I say that because he would not have played with McDavid, given his struggles last year on the PP, I don't think he would have seen first unit PP time. Given how much McLellen loves playing Leon with McDavid, I don't see him playing with Leon nor do I see a fit with Leon. So that means he's playing with Nuge. So if he is playing with the same players, in the same role AND getting less PP time, I don't see how his numbers would have improved much. Plus he complained how the media was mean to him and how much it impacted his game. If he is here, the same media would be here poking holes in his game just like they were doing before. So why would it change? So if that happens and Eberle puts up similar numbers as he did last year, instead of it being a "one off" season, it's a trend. So all of a sudden, you have Eberle, with all of the warts he has, with back to back 50pt seasons, down from where he used to be, making 6 mill a year. So his value would look even worse. Then on top of that, you have a situation where the Oilers with Leon and now McDavid's contract on the books absolutely having to get rid of the salary. So now you are trading Eberle, who instead of 2 years on his deal which adds value, you have Eberle entering his final year. So all you are getting for him is picks because you can't take a contract back.

Plus given that Eberle is not defensive, does not play on the PK or play in goal, I don't see how the Oilers would be in the playoffs if he was here. Scoring hasn't been necessarily their problem, its a record setting for being bad PK and deadlast goaltending. If you look at the Islanders. Even with Tavares being good, Bailey having a career years, Barzal being fantastic, Eberle having a decent year and the Islanders being top 10 in goals scored, they are 6 pts out of the playoffs and probably won't make it because their goaltending sucks.

I am of the opinion, that while the return of Strome wasn't what we all expected. He is turning into a very useful player. He's going to be in the 15 goal range, 40 pt range, while playing both special teams, all while making 2.5 mill. He seems to have settled in as a good 3rd line center and I can see the Oilers resigning him for under 3 mill. If you are getting a 40 pt, right handed, center that is on both your special teams for under 3 mill, that is pretty good value. So while I would have loved to see more back and I don't love the trade, I don't see the Eberle trade as a complete loss like some do. Where I think Chia really screwed up was he listed cap space as part of the reason they got rid of Eberle. So I believe if Chia got Strome AND used some of the cap space for something else, most probably wouldn't have a problem with the deal. I also believe that if the Oilers were getting even middle of the road goaltending instead of at the bottom from Talbot like a 4th in vezina voting last year goalie should be able to do, even with the exact same roster, the Oilers would be in the playoffs and no one would care about the Eberle trade.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 March 2018 13:57]

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711411 is a reply to message #711396 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Strome was shaky early in the season but has come on to be a decent player. Another option is his play on the right side of the team needs it. At a reasonable price he's OK. Agree with the goal tending being number one ( along with questionable coaching ) that has cost the team a chance at the playoffs this season. Eberle was good but not six million good.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711412 is a reply to message #711411 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 18:07

Strome was shaky early in the season but has come on to be a decent player. Another option is his play on the right side of the team needs it. At a reasonable price he's OK. Agree with the goal tending being number one ( along with questionable coaching ) that has cost the team a chance at the playoffs this season. Eberle was good but not six million good.

Strome is a decent player and it's not his fault that the team overpaid to get him, just like it's not Eberle's fault that the team overpaid him on his contract (putting too much weight to his peak season when he was shooting at an unsustainable shooting percentage).

If Connor McDavid can't get you in the playoffs, there's no single player that makes the difference this year. The special teams, the goaltending, the defending, the coaching and the management have all been different shades of awful this season, and that's how we get where we are.

Trading the third highest scorer for a straight downgrade and then not replacing him at all sent a terrible message though. It basically suggested the team wasn't serious about winning. The GM said the team wasn't good enough in February. In May, the team proved they weren't good enough. Then the team doubled down on mediocre defencemen, overpaid on multiple contracts, downgraded the forwards with the Eberle trade and Pouliot buyout and then wasted their cap space by not using ANY of it, all in the hopes that the best case scenario played out:

- young players all took significant steps forward (even though the evidence they point to to suggest Caggiulla and Slepyshev were going to is suspect - they scored at the same rate in playoffs as they did in the regular season
- health was going to continue to be very good (even though they knew that they had two injured defencemen - their top two producing defencemen in fact - and that one was due to be out months)
- the goaltending was going to continue to be Vezina-calibre (and all supplied by one guy, because the cheap backup they hired had nothing in his resume to suggest he could carry the mail if Talbot failed).
- that McDavid was going to continue to score at Art Ross levels and dominate games

Now, one of those four things happened and we're left with this smoking dung heap of a season.

Eberle isn't even the worst thing that happened to the team this year, but it sure didn't help and there was no one who should have thought that Strome was going to replace him because he just doesn't have the track record to think that was a possibility.

Both coach and GM have said basically that they looked at his numbers and thought he could be the 50 point player he was ONE time, even though that was three years ago and HE had the high shooting percentage then (and he played with Tavares, whereas here he never played with McDavid after the first couple games of training camp).

I wish I had the optimistic outlook on life that Oilers management has towards player personnel. It would be tremendous to think that every day hereon was going to be sunny and wonderful!

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711413 is a reply to message #711411 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 18:07

Funny McLellan slip of the tongue today. Talking about Strome's draft position, and he accidentally says Strome's draft history "tricked" the Oilers (into thinking he could be a more high end offensive guy). He took it back, but I could still believe it in terms of our pro scouts and Chia's expectations, because we're so bad at pro scouting.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711424 is a reply to message #711413 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Wait, so we didn't trade him fro Dylan Strome?!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711442 is a reply to message #711413 ]
Fri, 09 March 2018 05:28 Go to previous message

No Cups

That is funny because McLellan's previous track with San Jose had me thinking he was even a decent coach. I have since retracted that thought.

Re: Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #711390 is a reply to message #711349 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
OilCanSam  is currently offline OilCanSam

No Cups

I've always had a soft spot for the Islanders. So many parallels between the two organizations

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Next Topic:Where will the Oilers finish the year?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca