This day on June 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mark Moose-E-eh?, WELLOILEDMACHINE, oiler_head

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710826]
Thu, 01 March 2018 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: Adrean, CrusaderPi and MJ for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   28%
Nashville to win:   72%
32 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710837 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Congrats to David Poile, winningest GM in NHL history after tonight.

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710850 is a reply to message #710837 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 21:36

Congrats to David Poile, winningest GM in NHL history after tonight.

Definitely seems appropriate that we let him get that record.

First, because people are always achieving milestones against us.

Second, because the record he beat was Sather's.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710838 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Up 2-0, we decided all that mattered was getting Lucic a goal. Very expected things ensued.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710841 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

I thought it would be uglier.

That Draisaitl shot. Unreal.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710842 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

28 games now(?) without a goal for Lucic...

You’d think that a vet or his tenure would, instead of trying to force it, try to play as loose as possible? I get the frustration side of it. But the more you fret, the tighter you grab the stick, the more you demand of yourself, the more difficult it becomes. Just play your game. And for the love of god, please stop these obscene set ups to get him a goal. Play your game. Make the other team pull their goalie and then take a chance at setting him up with an empty net to ‘clear the demons’.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710915 is a reply to message #710842 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 22:00

28 games now(?) without a goal for Lucic...

You’d think that a vet or his tenure would, instead of trying to force it, try to play as loose as possible? I get the frustration side of it. But the more you fret, the tighter you grab the stick, the more you demand of yourself, the more difficult it becomes. Just play your game. And for the love of god, please stop these obscene set ups to get him a goal. Play your game. Make the other team pull their goalie and then take a chance at setting him up with an empty net to ‘clear the demons’.

Curious that Looch hasn't tried to clean someone's clock or generally be a dink, to get things going in the right direction. Unless I've missed something since December, that's mostly been out of his game too.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710847 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

lol. McLellan said basically that he was scared for the team if they let in another EN goal in a loss.

This is after in the late week or so, we choked up a 2 goal lead late vs the Ducks, and were an inch from choking another one against the kings.

This team really does perfectly mirror their coward coach.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710848 is a reply to message #710847 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 23:34

lol. McLellan said basically that he was scared for the team if they let in another EN goal in a loss.

This is after in the late week or so, we choked up a 2 goal lead late vs the Ducks, and were an inch from choking another one against the kings.

I think what it boils down to is he doesn’t feel he has 6 strong English speaking players available to him that he can put out there in such a high pressure situation. McDavid, Strome... they have to compensate on the ice for Draisatl’s broken German, Lucic’s gorilla speak and Klefbom’s Swedish fish. They can’t possibly be asked to also take on Puljujarvi’s Finnish ( icon_wink ) or Slepy’s Russian and be successful 6v5.. TMac misses Nuge.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710849 is a reply to message #710848 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 23:05

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 23:34

I think what it boils down to is he doesn’t feel he has 6 strong English speaking players available to him that he can put out there in such a high pressure situation. McDavid, Strome... they have to compensate on the ice for Draisatl’s broken German, Lucic’s gorilla speak and Klefbom’s Swedish fish. They can’t possibly be asked to also take on Puljujarvi’s Finnish ( icon_wink ) or Slepy’s Russian and be successful 6v5.. TMac misses Nuge.

I think he was just punishing the team for not achieving what they were expected to tonight. Getting the ever important Lucic goal.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710851 is a reply to message #710847 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 22:34

Goals Against
29th
208 GA

Power Play %
31st
13.8 PP%

Penalty Kill %
31st
73.2 PK%

And Bettman was talking about bringing the All-Star game here...wouldn't that be awkward showcasing all that talent in this city?

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710853 is a reply to message #710851 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 23:25

Goals Against
29th
208 GA

Power Play %
31st
13.8 PP%

Penalty Kill %
31st
73.2 PK%

And Bettman was talking about bringing the All-Star game here...wouldn't that be awkward showcasing all that talent in this city?

Wow, we finally got 31st in PP. Impressive.

Of course it's all because we don't have an elite right handed PP QB like the 30 other teams in the league have.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710916 is a reply to message #710851 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 23:25

Goals Against
29th
208 GA

Power Play %
31st
13.8 PP%

Penalty Kill %
31st
73.2 PK%

You would think that come season's end, those stats might create some vacancies on the staff and in the front office.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710856 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

I was impressed with E. Bears game, quick decisions, already better than Benning, just too bad he was paired with a guy who can't play NHL defense right now.

I think Sekera helped make Bear a minus 3 tonight.
Draisatl was a -3, and he scored a goal!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710858 is a reply to message #710856 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 00:23

I was impressed with E. Bears game, quick decisions, already better than Benning, just too bad he was paired with a guy who can't play NHL defense right now.

I didn't watch the game, only the highlights, but Bear seemed more responsible for his minuses than Sekera. First goal, Sekera plays it to Strome who loses it in his feet and then gifts it away. Bear is in front and he's spinning like a top as they pass it around him.

Second goal is all about Bear making a bad play at the blue line and surrendering a two on one with two of the Preds best players on the attack.

Fourth goal, Sekera isn't even on the ice. It's Klefbom out with Bear (I assume they were part way through a change?), and again it's a forward losing a puck battle in the corner that starts it all. Again Bear is the guy in front. Despite being too far back to hop to really make a play on him, Bear overplays on the puck carrier, who dishes off to the open side for what is basically an empty net goal.

It's a first NHL game against a really good Nashville team, and somehow in the relatively little amount of icetime he had, he ended up out against some of the best players on the Preds and he got victimized. Nurse had a similar start in his first ever game...out against the defending Stanley Cup champs. At least we didn't sit our best defenceman so we could dress the rookie this time.

Lots of time to make up for this one.

At least this shouldn't make anyone think we can now trade Klefbom for pennies on the dollar...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710865 is a reply to message #710858 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 01:15

I didn't watch the game, only the highlights, but Bear seemed more responsible for his minuses than Sekera. First goal, Sekera plays it to Strome who loses it in his feet and then gifts it away. Bear is in front and he's spinning like a top as they pass it around him.

Second goal is all about Bear making a bad play at the blue line and surrendering a two on one with two of the Preds best players on the attack.

Fourth goal, Sekera isn't even on the ice. It's Klefbom out with Bear (I assume they were part way through a change?), and again it's a forward losing a puck battle in the corner that starts it all. Again Bear is the guy in front. Despite being too far back to hop to really make a play on him, Bear overplays on the puck carrier, who dishes off to the open side for what is basically an empty net goal.

It's a first NHL game against a really good Nashville team, and somehow in the relatively little amount of icetime he had, he ended up out against some of the best players on the Preds and he got victimized. Nurse had a similar start in his first ever game...out against the defending Stanley Cup champs. At least we didn't sit our best defenceman so we could dress the rookie this time.

At least this shouldn't make anyone think we can now trade Klefbom for pennies on the dollar...

....seems to me we classify and rank young players in this organization the second they step off the plane at Edmonton International airport....see Darnell Nurse, for example...took him a few seasons to mature, and now he's pretty close to becoming reliable and assertive ....still making some mistakes, but clearly on his way to becoming a quality NHL defenseman for years to come....hopefully for the Oilers,.....it's pretty tough to make the jump to the NHL

I think I'm Ethan Bear's second biggest supporter in here behind Skookum Jim, going back to the time he was drafted by the Oilers...I've been following his career and development with great interest, and hoping for the best for him...he's had some highs and lows, but seems to be doing pretty darn good for a defenseman just learning the pro game....

...I have mixed feelings about Bear playing in the NHL this season, but he seems like a quick learner, and a great role model...when they showed his family in the arena last night, it was great to see the joy and pride on their faces...that in itself has to be inspiring yet burdensome to a youngster like Ethan Bear......a lot is riding on his young shoulders besides hockey...

....sure hope we don't turn this into another Sheldon Souray episode and find Ethan Bear battling the organization and fan base in some hockey hotbed like Hershey....this kid has all the tools...all he needs is time and support...

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710868 is a reply to message #710865 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 08:07

....seems to me we classify and rank young players in this organization the second they step off the plane at Edmonton International airport....see Darnell Nurse, for example...took him a few seasons to mature, and now he's pretty close to becoming reliable and assertive ....still making some mistakes, but clearly on his way to becoming a quality NHL defenseman for years to come....hopefully for the Oilers,.....it's pretty tough to make the jump to the NHL

I think I'm Ethan Bear's second biggest supporter in here behind Skookum Jim, going back to the time he was drafted by the Oilers...I've been following his career and development with great interest, and hoping for the best for him...he's had some highs and lows, but seems to be doing pretty darn good for a defenseman just learning the pro game....

...I have mixed feelings about Bear playing in the NHL this season, but he seems like a quick learner, and a great role model...when they showed his family in the arena last night, it was great to see the joy and pride on their faces...that in itself has to be inspiring yet burdensome to a youngster like Ethan Bear......a lot is riding on his young shoulders besides hockey...

....sure hope we don't turn this into another Sheldon Souray episode and find Ethan Bear battling the organization and fan base in some hockey hotbed like Hershey....this kid has all the tools...all he needs is time and support...

You're not alone. Been following his career since the draft as well.

He'll be just fine as long as the Oilers are patient.

Great to see his family and friends there supporting and I thought played a damn fine game for his first taste of the bigs. A few mistakes but lots of positives.

His partners on the other hand........

By the way will this coaching staff ever change their ways and try Nurse and or JP on the power play?

Getting very tired of this square peg in a round hole mentality of TM and staff.

Sheesh.......

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710872 is a reply to message #710865 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 09:07

I think I'm Ethan Bear's second biggest supporter in here behind Skookum Jim,

Mark me down in this group. I am fine with third
icon_smile

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710875 is a reply to message #710872 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I watched most of the game. I thought Bear looked good moving the puck and passing it. Had some mistakes defensively but being that his first NHL game was against the best, deepest team in the West, that is a tall order. I thought Sekera was a complete disaster again. I know he is coming off an injury, I know he has struggled, he is way behind everyone so I didn't expect him to be good but I never expected him to be this bad. I know he has to wear a big brace as part of the recovery and it limits him a bit but it's pretty obvious to me he can't turn one way very well. Skating aside, there is no reason his puck handling should be this bad. Played a key role on the first Preds goal. He had complete control, then fires a grenade to Strome. Strome made a mistake too but Sekera fires it in his skates. He wasn't being pestered and he can't make a what 12 ft pass on the tape and you are an NHLer. Bear made a rookie mistake on the second goal, he tried to pinch when he shouldn't but I don't think Sekera could have played it any worse. He is clearly not right, shut him down.

Is anyone else getting a bit concerned about Klefbom defensively? He is supposedly not 100% and we think it's a shoulder again. So maybe that affects him offensively but what is concerning to me is his defensive decisions and awareness. It's freaking bad. Having a banged up shoulder shouldn't stop you from going to the right spots.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710882 is a reply to message #710865 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Don't read this at all as me cannibalizing the kid. He's not just a NHL rookie, he's a rookie to pro hockey period and he was in over his head last night. I think he made contributing errors on all three goals against, but that doesn't mean I don't have faith that he can be a better player going forward.

I do think that the coaching staff did him no favours. They played him almost exclusively with a still-injured Sekera, and while they limited his minutes, it doesn't seem like they targeted his minutes much. McLellan said after the game they didn't - because he felt like Nashville's depth is such that it's hard to shelter someone...that said - how often should a raw rookie and an injured, struggling vet be out against Filip Forsberg?

I question whether there's a good reason to keep Sekera and Klefbom in the lineup if they're hurt. Playoffs are not on the horizon. Worst that happens is we keep losing, and end up with a better draft pick.

I think the only reason that they stay in now is that coach and GM are worried about their jobs and thinking if they can somehow get to 80+ points maybe they get a little more rope.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710886 is a reply to message #710882 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 10:22

I question whether there's a good reason to keep Sekera and Klefbom in the lineup if they're hurt. Playoffs are not on the horizon. Worst that happens is we keep losing, and end up with a better draft pick.

I think the only reason that they stay in now is that coach and GM are worried about their jobs and thinking if they can somehow get to 80+ points maybe they get a little more rope.

If this is true, it's completely enraging.

If this is true Nicholson should be canned!

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710890 is a reply to message #710882 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 09:22

Ha, Kurt Leavins said something similar on Twitter yesterday. Basically that TMac's job was safe unless the wheels fell of in the last 20 games. Hate to break it to you Kurt, the wheels fell of about 3 months ago.

https://twitter.com/KurtLeavins/status/969469524264206336

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710883 is a reply to message #710858 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Bear is going to be a good D man but his debut saw him get caught out of position 3 times for 3 goals against. Not blaming him, just saying that he hasn't gotten use to how fast things happen at the NHL level and was probably a bit nervous. You could imlpicate Sekkera and Strome in the first one I guess for turning it over, but he looked a bit lost at times and a bit in over his head. Just needs more experience, he has all the tools.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710917 is a reply to message #710856 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 15:04 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Actually, we've seen other D on the Oilers, including relative veterans (Klef) make gaffes like Bear did, countless times this season. Could it be that Bear was just trying to play the Oiler way? icon_lol

The Chris Russell Contract is seriously considering a gift and a small note of thanks to Sekera.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710877 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Well...

Up 2 zip and then down by two.. our position in the standings reflect this type of play.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710909 is a reply to message #710826 ]
Fri, 02 March 2018 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilCanSam  is currently offline OilCanSam

No Cups

Go Oilers!

Previous Topic:RNH out with cracked ribs; 5-6 weeks
Next Topic:Oilers Name Todd McLellan Head Coach
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca