F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710400]
Tue, 27 February 2018 12:49 Go to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Per officialoilersnation instagram and twitter!!!

https://twitter.com/OilersNation/status/968569586349035520

https://oilersnation.com/2018/02/27/ethan-bear-recalled-from -ahl/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[Updated on: Tue, 27 February 2018 12:56]

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710402 is a reply to message #710400 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

They let him simmer down in the AHL for a long time (34 games) and now he's ready to be a permanent NHL'er on the Oilers. Nothing can or will go wrong.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710403 is a reply to message #710402 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Is it too soon to talk about getting rid of Ethan Bear? He's been up with the big team for a while now and he's leaking chances. Also I've heard he's a cancer in the room.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710405 is a reply to message #710403 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Ugh, just when you thought they were finally learning to let these kids actually get some development in down there.

Still...Bakersfield is dead last or close to in their division, so it's not as if he's going to be missing any playoff action or anything by coming up.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710408 is a reply to message #710403 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 27 February 2018 13:03

Is it too soon to talk about getting rid of Ethan Bear? He's been up with the big team for a while now and he's leaking chances. Also I've heard he's a cancer in the room.

Nah - here is the short audition where they talk him up in a very positive light and decide that he really makes Oscar Klefbom redundant just as Klefbom made Petry redundant and Petry made Gilbert redundant. You only really need one defenceman who can play the puck so if you have identified that guy, then you can trade a pretty valuable asset. Great opportunity for the Oilers to build by acquiring the next Nick Schultz or a pair of middling draft picks!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710483 is a reply to message #710402 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 27 February 2018 11:55

They let him simmer down in the AHL for a long time (34 games) and now he's ready to be a permanent NHL'er on the Oilers. Nothing can or will go wrong.

I like your logic!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710411 is a reply to message #710400 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Don't mind this.

He can take part in the winning atmosphere we have up here. Well, at least compared to the last in their division Condors. We ain't last in the Pacific, woo!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710432 is a reply to message #710400 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Bring him in an actually play the young guy.

Pleaaaaase.... please sit out Benning and Sekera.

There has been plenty of time to "evaluate" Benning and Sekera is a shadow compared to before his injury.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710466 is a reply to message #710432 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

stotto wrote on Tue, 27 February 2018 14:25

Bring him in an actually play the young guy.

Pleaaaaase.... please sit out Benning and Sekera.

There has been plenty of time to "evaluate" Benning and Sekera is a shadow compared to before his injury.

I don't mind them calling up Bear. Give the kid a taste of the NHL. You can tell a young player what to expect, what the NHL is like, what they need to do in the offseason to make it but I believe that until you actually play in the NHL, experience the speed, size, skill and strength first hand, no one can fully express to you what it is like. Then he can go into the offseason knowing first hand what the NHL is like and hopefully it will help him in the offseason do what he needs to do.

I don't have a problem if Benning sat but I would sit Sekera. He is a disaster out there and it's not all his fault. He's coming off a major injury, he's in constant catch up mode, he has to wear a big brace that restricts his movement. He's not doing himself or the team any good. Let him practice, let him train, let him continue to heal.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710435 is a reply to message #710400 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

I bet they want to see if he shows promise on the point for the power play. The Oilers were rumoured to have interest in a right shot d-man for the PP and Bear is the only option internally. If they don't see the potential, I bet they go looking on the trade market during the summer. They probably were leading up to the deadline, but struck-out, hence the call-up.

That doesn't mean he's ready. He's still raw and will need to be sheltered heavily on the defensive side. It would be so Oilers to keep on the team next year due to one attribute even if he suffers defensively.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710470 is a reply to message #710435 ]
Tue, 27 February 2018 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Steve wrote on Tue, 27 February 2018 14:33

I bet they want to see if he shows promise on the point for the power play. The Oilers were rumoured to have interest in a right shot d-man for the PP and Bear is the only option internally. If they don't see the potential, I bet they go looking on the trade market during the summer. They probably were leading up to the deadline, but struck-out, hence the call-up.

That doesn't mean he's ready. He's still raw and will need to be sheltered heavily on the defensive side. It would be so Oilers to keep on the team next year due to one attribute even if he suffers defensively.

With the exception of Nurse, Larson, Russell and occasionally Auvitu we can use all the help we can get defensively.

Ethan Bear can't be much worse than others on the current roster from second pairing down.

I hope he does well and gets some real ice time.

Apparently he's got a pretty good shot, can skate and move the puck fairly well.

The speed of the NHL compared to the minors might take awhile to adjust.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710729 is a reply to message #710400 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Ethan Bear playing tonight.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710730 is a reply to message #710729 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 12:16

Have to say... I'm excited to see what he can do

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710731 is a reply to message #710730 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:17

How's his English?

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710732 is a reply to message #710731 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 12:29

How's his English?

He's a born Sasky boy, as is McLellan. They have a bond already.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710734 is a reply to message #710732 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:36

How's his English?

Oh good! Well, congratulations to the good Saskatchewan boy, Ethan Bear. I look forward to seeing what he can do in the top 4 for the rest of the season.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710741 is a reply to message #710734 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:37

How's his English?

Oh good! Well, congratulations to the good Saskatchewan boy, Ethan Bear. I look forward to seeing what he can do in the top 4 for the rest of the season.

His english sucks, I heard they could Bearly understand him out there. Furr reals. Just paws and think about that for a moment.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710742 is a reply to message #710741 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 12:59

His english sucks, I heard they could Bearly understand him out there. Furr reals. Just paws and think about that for a moment.

Gene? Is that you?

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710745 is a reply to message #710741 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:59

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:37

How's his English?

First rate post. Very solid work.

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710744 is a reply to message #710731 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

How's his English?

Here's his pre-game media sesh. Note his knowledge & use of the English language.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/pre-game-raw--ethan-bear/c- 58319703

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2018 12:15]

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #710759 is a reply to message #710400 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

What worries me is he's already amassed 34 AHL games.

This may be more than enough experience for management to feel he's a bonafide full time NHL'er, despite how ready the kid actually is.

Limecat Logic

Re: Ethan Bear RECALLED from Bakersfield [message #711574 is a reply to message #710759 ]
Mon, 12 March 2018 10:34 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

...a few random thoughts and a couple of questions for those who have seen Bear in action live (pretty hard to get "the big picture" for defensemen on a TV screen)....

....Bear has done even better than I expected and seems to get more comfortable with each game played...seems like a very fast learner and tends to make adjustments after his mistakes...

...his ice time is almost 20 minutes the last couple of games....mostly on 5-on-5 situations....a question for the advanced stats crowd....is Bear getting "soft" minutes?....what else do the advanced stats tell us about Bear's performance so far?

....seems to me he tends to get a bit adventurous in the attacking zone....and with Paul Coffey advising the coaching staff and no one like Charlie Huddy or steady Steve Staios in the Oiler defensive lineup, should TMac try to limit this tendency?....

....Sekera seems to be a very good short-term partner for Bear, but I have a couple of concerns....Bear seems to drift over to the left a lot, and I'm wondering if it is because he is still learning how to position himself or is it because Sekera is still recovering from a pretty serious injury and needs help from his D partner a little more than usual?....

....haven't seen Bear unleash his shot from the point with much explosiveness yet, but I'm sure that will come....opportunities just don't come up that often in the NHL.....

Bear is a better skater than I remember from the few times I saw him in junior....I think Bear has all the raw talent to become a solid NHL defenseman....I've been fooled before, but I'd bet on this kid succeeding...more a question of when than if, as far as I'm concerned....

....when he was called up, I was thinking Bear should get his taste of the NHL for a few games, then head back to Bakersfield to finish his season.....however, with Klefbom's struggles and a couple of other Oiler defensemen looking less than 100% healthy, Bear might spend the rest of the season in the NHL...would it be better for him to stay, or should another D from Bakersfield come up for a while? (I think Mantha is still hurt, and Caleb Jones is just coming back from a groin injury....seems pointless to me to bring up one of the guys who are proven career AHL'ers)

....Bear is more popular than I thought he would be...hope this keeps up...Edmonton fans, media, and even the Oiler organization tend to lose patience with young players when they slip a little on a very steep learning curve, and I certainly hope Bear continues to get support when he has to struggle through a nagging injury or slump....

....finally, a quote from Connor McDavid, as published in Jim Matheson's report on Monday, March12..."He's only gaining more confidence and he's only getting better and better as the games go on. He definitely has a little bit of offensive flair and can get the puck up, which is good to see"....

Previous Topic:GDT: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Next Topic:Oilfans night out (AKA OFNO)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca