This day on October 19
Acquired: Dave Donnelly (1987)

Happy Birthday To: blacksheep, LoyalOil, SSTk, Vigo, still94

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709012]
Mon, 12 February 2018 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Florida to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Monday, February 12, 2018Florida 7 @ Edmonton 5Loss
Saturday, March 17, 2018Edmonton 4 @ Florida 2Win
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/4 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/2 Total: 9

2016-17 Regular Season
Wednesday, January 18, 2017Florida 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Wednesday, February 22, 2017Edmonton 4 @ Florida 3Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/4 Total: 8
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/3 Total: 6

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709016 is a reply to message #709012 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Meh. Go McPoints. Other than that, do we care to win any more games this year? So pissed off that we're here again.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709017 is a reply to message #709016 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:12

Meh. Go McPoints. Other than that, do we care to win any more games this year? So pissed off that we're here again.

If you're wondering why the Oilers are here again just take a look at the official website. 3 "news" stories about the greatest team ever nostalgia event followed by the pre-game story followed by a dozen or so more stories about the greatest team ever. The team betrays itself, the focus is elsewhere.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709018 is a reply to message #709017 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:21

If you're wondering why the Oilers are here again just take a look at the official website. 3 "news" stories about the greatest team ever nostalgia event followed by the pre-game story followed by a dozen or so more stories about the greatest team ever. The team betrays itself, the focus is elsewhere.

Apparently they hung another banner last night. Seriously - a banner over a stupid fan vote.

Brutal.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709020 is a reply to message #709018 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 11:23

Apparently they hung another banner last night. Seriously - a banner over a stupid fan vote.

Brutal.

We're the Canucks... puke

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709021 is a reply to message #709018 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:23

Brutal.

Well, it's not like they're going to get another one on the ice. I have no idea why people are still going to these things.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709022 is a reply to message #709021 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It would be nice to see a win. But in reality, it doesn't really matter much. They went on a 3 game road trip, all against divisional opponents ahead of them. If they wanted to have any shot at doing the next to impossible and have a chance to get into the playoffs, they had to win all 3. They lost all 3.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709023 is a reply to message #709021 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

But the real question is - does Keegan get to have his Oilers debut in front of all of his dad's old buddies?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709024 is a reply to message #709023 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I could really careless if Lowe plays or not. The last name says it's a brutal move because we have to hate on the Oilers. Apparently he has played very well in the minors and deserves the call up. So far, Benning, Davidson, Auvitu, Sekera, Klefbom haven't exactly done a whole hell of a lot to deserve not missing a game for him. Sekera apparently has some issue. Maybe his knee is sore or he's got a bad case of "I'm playing like garbage". But he's got the last name of Lowe so I should hate.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 February 2018 14:56]

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709025 is a reply to message #709024 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:46

I could really careless if Lowe plays or not. The last name says it's a brutal move because we have to hate on the Oilers. Apparently he has payed very well in the minors and deserves the call up. So far, Benning, Davidson, Auvitu, Sekera, Klefbom haven't exactly done a whole hell of a lot to deserve not missing a game for him. Sekera apparently has some issue. Maybe his knee is sore or he's got a bad case of "I'm playing like garbage". But he's got the last name of Lowe so I should hate.

In fairness, Davidson does not deserve to be listed in that group. He's been steady when in.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709026 is a reply to message #709025 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:50

I could really careless if Lowe plays or not. The last name says it's a brutal move because we have to hate on the Oilers. Apparently he has payed very well in the minors and deserves the call up. So far, Benning, Davidson, Auvitu, Sekera, Klefbom haven't exactly done a whole hell of a lot to deserve not missing a game for him. Sekera apparently has some issue. Maybe his knee is sore or he's got a bad case of "I'm playing like garbage". But he's got the last name of Lowe so I should hate.

In fairness, Davidson does not deserve to be listed in that group. He's been steady when in.

OK sure. He's been OK at times. If I were to rank the Oilers dmen this year, it would be Nurse, Russell/Larsson, then the rest. I believe you can flip flop Larsson and Russell either way. Russell isn't a spectacular dman and never will be but he's done what he was brought in to do which was bring steady mins. The contract isn't great, mostly for the term and one can argue that he is taking the place of a right handed guy - who that is I have no clue - but even the biggest Russell hater can't say he's been the problem this year. Larsson isn't available due to the death of his dad and sounds like we won't see him until March. But my point is, other than those 3, no one has played overly well where f they got taken out, anyone should get bent out of shape and see it as an injustice.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709046 is a reply to message #709026 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 09:10

OK sure. He's been OK at times. If I were to rank the Oilers dmen this year, it would be Nurse, Russell/Larsson, then the rest. I believe you can flip flop Larsson and Russell either way. Russell isn't a spectacular dman and never will be but he's done what he was brought in to do which was bring steady mins. The contract isn't great, mostly for the term and one can argue that he is taking the place of a right handed guy - who that is I have no clue - but even the biggest Russell hater can't say he's been the problem this year. Larsson isn't available due to the death of his dad and sounds like we won't see him until March. But my point is, other than those 3, no one has played overly well where f they got taken out, anyone should get bent out of shape and see it as an injustice.

Not that it matters now but I wonder if we were int the thick of a playoff race if Lars would be taking this much time off or if he would have been back right away for his Brett Favre moment.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709069 is a reply to message #709046 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 13:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 09:10

Not that it matters now but I wonder if we were int the thick of a playoff race if Lars would be taking this much time off or if he would have been back right away for his Brett Favre moment.

Hard to say.

Larsson is 25 yrs old. His dad was just 50. I am sure give the distance, they don't see each other a ton for a lot of the year. His dad comes over to visit and he ends up dying here out of no where. If that was me, that would rattle me pretty good.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709029 is a reply to message #709024 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

There's a nice quote in this article about Keegan wanting to prove people wrong by making it on his own back when he got drafted.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/lowe-branching-out-at-co nditioning-camp/c-569087

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709064 is a reply to message #709024 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 07:46

I'm with you, from what I've heard from guys reviewing the Condors, he's been pretty good, I won't be booing if he takes to the ice.

Possibly after though.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709072 is a reply to message #709064 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 14:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 07:46

I'm with you, from what I've heard from guys reviewing the Condors, he's been pretty good, I won't be booing if he takes to the ice.

Possibly after though.

I am sure I will be excused of being a sunshine and rainbows guy for the Oilers management because I don't immediately hate on the Oilers for everything like is currently popular to do. But the name on the jersey means nothing to me. I don't care who his dad is, you either can play or you can't. To me he looks like another defensive dman who shoots left. The Oilers have a ton of those. Maybe he can be more, maybe he can't. Only one way to find out, let him play. What's the worst that can happen, they lose another game? They seem to have mastered that again this season. In my opinion, the Oilers are not in the position to be turning their noses up to anyone player. They need all the help they can get. So find out if he is useful, or get rid of him.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709075 is a reply to message #709072 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

I've heard that other teams have a scouting staff that determines if a player is any good before signing him. Understandable if the Oilers don't, that would explain the Strome trade.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709077 is a reply to message #709075 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 15:17

I've heard that other teams have a scouting staff that determines if a player is any good before signing him. Understandable if the Oilers don't, that would explain the Strome trade.

Yeah, I don't think there's a lot of ~25 year old defencemen with 2 NHL games to their name and nary a point in either, averaging about 1 point every four AHL games and with reputations of footspeed issues that are true diamonds in the rough who end up starring with an NHL team later...

His trajectory isn't terribly different from Eric Gryba's. Similar production and Gryba became an NHLer only a few months before where Keegan is at now, but Gryba had size on his side which will always get you another look with an NHL team.

I don't think anyone is going to boo the kid. I'd be disappointed if they did. However, I think the player archetype is one that's incredibly easy to find so when it's the kid of the Vice-Chair, and in an organization where there's a Gretzky brother in management, a Chiarelli and a Messier brother in scouting and they regularly hire all their old buddies and give them random VP roles within the organization, it's going to get questioned as to whether this really was the best player available or only the one most closely related to Daryl Katz's right hand man.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709078 is a reply to message #709077 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 15:28

I don't think anyone is going to boo the kid. I'd be disappointed if they did. However, I think the player archetype is one that's incredibly easy to find so when it's the kid of the Vice-Chair, and in an organization where there's a Gretzky brother in management, a Chiarelli and a Messier brother in scouting and they regularly hire all their old buddies and give them random VP roles within the organization, it's going to get questioned as to whether this really was the best player available or only the one most closely related to Daryl Katz's right hand man.

Given the fact that you aren't the only Oiler fan to have this exact line of thinking, you honestly think he won't get booed just because of his name? No disrespect but I think you are kidding yourself if you think there won't be some fans who boo him strictly because of his name.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709080 is a reply to message #709078 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 15:38

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 15:28

Given the fact that you aren't the only Oiler fan to have this exact line of thinking, you honestly think he won't get booed just because of his name? No disrespect but I think you are kidding yourself if you think there won't be some fans who boo him strictly because of his name.

I can see people booing him. There's a lot of righteous frustration with what Lowe has had a hand in doing to the Oilers. I'm not sure how you can make playing Keegan palatable for the fans. Maybe you could start him on the road first to get us plebs used to the idea? Even if the team does that, he still has to play above his ability with that name on his jersey.

The only good that'll come from this is he can't have number 4 thanks to Lowe and company tanking the franchise.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709083 is a reply to message #709080 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Strome on the first line. Auvitu-Benning pairing should be interesting

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709085 is a reply to message #709083 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 16:03

Strome on the first line. Auvitu-Benning pairing should be interesting

I think they were a pair last game, interesting to say the least!

I just want McD to finish the year feeling good about playing the game of hockey, regardless of wins or losses. I don't want him souring on the Oilers.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709098 is a reply to message #709072 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

r. They need all the help they can get. So find out if he is useful, or get rid of him.

Yes, why condemn him before you see what he can do. Can't be any worse than some of our other under achievers.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 February 2018 19:25]

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709027 is a reply to message #709021 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:28

Brutal.

Well, it's not like they're going to get another one on the ice. I have no idea why people are still going to these things.

These events are basically job recruitment fairs now aren't they? Can't blame some of these old guys for coming that didn't make nearly the amount even 4th liners make today.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709034 is a reply to message #709027 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 09:12

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:28

Brutal.

These events are basically job recruitment fairs now aren't they? Can't blame some of these old guys for coming that didn't make nearly the amount even 4th liners make today.

I mean, who wouldn't want a free trip to Edmonton in February?

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709028 is a reply to message #709012 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

After a night after a self congratulatory **** "rub", the Oilers with a bright light on the past have the current team roll in here to perform in front of "the band". Great they got a banner raised because any one of significance will be a long way off, if ever.

Play for pride? Play for ? I'm not sure, and this season highlights the reason I don't play the oilers score game.. I'm bad at it, like the Oilers have been bad at hockey.

Lost 3, and while it was great they got the tie, there has to be a reason for the crumbing losses and late period ties.

Davidson is not the problem, he's bee great since his call up. Why is Auvitu a defensman? Benning took a major step back this season. Larsson is dealing with family issues. Sekera is still not 100% with his knee. Nurse is progressing but can't do it all. Russell, as much as people hate him blocks shots, he can barely play (better than Auvitu can).

Welp, I save money of playoff tickets so... bright side?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709030 is a reply to message #709028 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think Gretzky has the appropriate expression for last night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV2RGe5U0AE_sTu.jpg

"what am I doing right now?"

[Updated on: Mon, 12 February 2018 11:29]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709032 is a reply to message #709030 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
richksaun  is currently offline richksaun

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 09:23

I think Gretzky has the appropriate expression for last night:

"what am I doing right now?"

I wasn't on the "Is Gretzky drunk" bandwagon but after seeing this picture there is no doubt he is on the bottle big time, I blame this team, rather he knows its Lowe or MacT or Chia or Todd he knows this team is F'd big time.

"Any donkey can go to the front of the net and stand there with his stick on the ice." -- Capitals' center Brooks Laich on breaking a 9-game goal drought with a tip in vs. the Rangers(hint hint Oilers)

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709088 is a reply to message #709012 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Give him a shortened moustache and it’s Adolf Gretzky.

PS, thanks for destroying the font in this thread. ;)

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709091 is a reply to message #709088 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 18:36

Punishment for not using tree view :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709092 is a reply to message #709091 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 19:01

Tree view. Chortle. You’re a fossil, grandpa.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709099 is a reply to message #709092 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 19:04

I wonder if his monitor has a tube.

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709103 is a reply to message #709099 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 19:39

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 19:04

I wonder if his monitor has a tube.

When even g2k thinks you're old, you're ANCIENT!

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709259 is a reply to message #709088 ]
Wed, 14 February 2018 13:49 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Actually, Mess has that look for an SS uniform as well, but that 'do of Gretzky's does show up in the WWII docs on Netflix.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709089 is a reply to message #709012 ]
Mon, 12 February 2018 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV4S0wCW0AAZQ0k.jpg

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709240 is a reply to message #709012 ]
Wed, 14 February 2018 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Flat view for the win Alex.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #55) [message #709255 is a reply to message #709240 ]
Wed, 14 February 2018 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 14 February 2018 09:58

Flat view for the win Alex.

Damn you all.

But at least I know how widespread the pain is that I can cause with large images :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Las Vegas (Game #56)
Next Topic:Beaverton Diss
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca