This day on August 18
Acquired: Tom McMurchy (1986)
Departed: Mike Stapleton (1995) Jesse Belanger (1998) Fernando Pisani (2010)

Happy Birthday To: caperguy9917, laura, OilerFaithful, mrlloyd23, OliviaMiller

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708751]
Wed, 07 February 2018 22:50 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 62%
Los Angeles to win: 38%
42 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708763 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Meh.

2 McPoints. I'll take it.

That was a bad penalty by Pulju to break the game, but whatever, young guy that the coach likes to dangle opportunity in front of like he's a little helpless puppy. Not surprising he struggles a bit when McLellan finally gives him a tiny bite.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708764 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Crapper of a start, get it back, absolutely nothing outside of the McDavid line, give up the requisite killer PP goal, which was a good screen. Sounds about right.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708767 is a reply to message #708764 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 07 February 2018 23:11

Crapper of a start, get it back, absolutely nothing outside of the McDavid line, give up the requisite killer PP goal, which was a good screen. Sounds about right.

It was an illegal goal just 2 weeks ago. Talking heads now saying it was the right call because the league changed the interpretation of the rule mid season (over the all-star break).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708766 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Lucic with 00:32 seconds of power play time. Now if they could just get that down to 2 seconds, but I’ll take it.

Letestu 00:00

Moral victories right there. For reals.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708768 is a reply to message #708766 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 07 February 2018 23:35

Lucic with 00:32 seconds of power play time. Now if they could just get that down to 2 seconds, but I’ll take it.

Letestu 00:00

Moral victories right there. For reals.

Finally the oilers brought someone in with the coaching staff (Coffey) that is as least as smart as oilers online forum people. Progress.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 February 2018 23:51]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708769 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Benning is a no. 8 defenseman. Brutal passes. Slow feet. Not sure why he is out there.
2nd goal was the result of comedy show by Benning and Klefbom. Benning should be dropped down to press box.If Larsson is playing this is a win.

Letestu is done. He dropped off a cliff in performance from last year, liability on PK and PP, looks like a Timbit out there trying to get around. At least someone realized he wasn't helping the PP.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708772 is a reply to message #708769 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 01:30

Benning is a no. 8 defenseman. Brutal passes. Slow feet. Not sure why he is out there.
2nd goal was the result of comedy show by Benning and Klefbom. Benning should be dropped down to press box.If Larsson is playing this is a win.

Letestu is done. He dropped off a cliff in performance from last year, liability on PK and PP, looks like a Timbit out there trying to get around. At least someone realized he wasn't helping the PP.

I can't argue much with this. Benning has been a train wreck all year. He wasn't the only one that had a giveaway on that second goal but he started it all. He had control then just gives it away and then they were scrambling, then the other errors started. If he makes the simple play, the rest of the giveaways don't happen and the goal isn't scored. Once Larsson comes back, I would have him as a guy that sits. Moving forward, he looks like a guy that can play in your bottom pairing but not any higher than that. I would have no issue if you had to include Benning as part of a package for someone else. A pipe dream I am sure but I would have no issue if they included Benning as part of a package for Faulk. Based on where he has been playing and the comments of a Hurricanes guy late last week on Gregor's show, sounds like Faulk has fallen out of favor with the coach and team.

I guess the silver lining for Benning being crap is we were all worried about his next contract and how much. Unless you trade him, I would still sign him because they aren't in a position to be trading away dmen, especially right handed guy unless another one is coming back. But when it comes to salary, he has zero leverage and if he expects much of a raise, if I was Chia, all I would do is have a highlight package of his too many to count brutal goal causing giveaways and show it too him then try and keep from bursting out laughing if still thinks he deserves a raise. The amount of good games that Benning has had this season is extremely small.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708775 is a reply to message #708769 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Man I hope they trade Letestu soon. Some guys are just so tiresome to watch, and I'm so over Letestu.

I don't know if he's even that much worse in insolation than last year. His value last year was being a PP sniper, but that only worked because other teams didn't pay any attention to him. That situation never lasts if you have some success. Maybe he would have been better on the PK this year if our coaches were not morons. Last year he had 3 even strength goals, and he has 3 again this year. He's basically the same player at evens. Only real differences from last year is his wingers at even have played worse, and he isn't a PP god anymore.

The coaches do keep complimenting his intelligence, and how he's one of the smartest players on the team. So, maybe he actually has some use in how you can watch what he does to fully understand what the coaches are selling to the players. If you do that, you can get more depressed if you want to about how the team plays.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 February 2018 09:09]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708798 is a reply to message #708769 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Yeah, there was a thread here that rated the Oilers D in order, I have Benning behind Davidson, ahead of Gryba. Actually when Auvitu plays I haven't seen the mistakes that Benning has made all year.

I don't mind Letestu in 4th line minutes. Just no PP minutes, and preferably not on the PK.

Speaking of dropping off a cliff, how about Pat Maroon. He's working his way down to a 2 year, 2.5 mil AAV contract. He's invisible when he's not playing 5x5 with Connor, which is disturbing, because the Oilers should be actively looking for better options there. Pretty sad, because I loved what he brought last year. He's gone by the deadline, and I don't look to resign him unless it's on the cheap.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708774 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Well it was fun when they tied it. After that PP goal against in the 3rd it was over. I guess it was an entertaining game.

Lucic may be at the end of his usefulness. He's slow and his hands have turned to bricks.

McDavid can't do everything, however I do expect Puljujarvi to take a massive step next season, he's getting it. Now if there was something about that penalty in the 3rd..

Letestu is gone at the trade deadline, I'd think that Maroon too. Benning should just be let go.. I've never seen a player regress so far.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708782 is a reply to message #708774 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 08:59

Well it was fun when they tied it. After that PP goal against in the 3rd it was over. I guess it was an entertaining game.

Lucic may be at the end of his usefulness. He's slow and his hands have turned to bricks.

McDavid can't do everything, however I do expect Puljujarvi to take a massive step next season, he's getting it. Now if there was something about that penalty in the 3rd..

Letestu is gone at the trade deadline, I'd think that Maroon too. Benning should just be let go.. I've never seen a player regress so far.

They have to trade Letestu. He's a vet, right handed center that can play on your special teams and win you some faceoffs. Guys like him have some value as teams are always looking for centers and depth. I don't see how they can bring him back in a full time role next season.

I think they have to trade Maroon too. It's great that the players think they can still make it. In my opinion, they couldn't lose last night. So they are done. You still want the guys pushing forward but they aren't making it. So they have to get something for Maroon. You can have a contract in the drawer if you want but you can't hold on to a UFA when you aren't making the playoffs and risk him walking for nothing. Unless a team blows your socks off, I wouldn't rush to trade him until the deadline because then as soon as you trade Maroon, you signal to the team you are done.

I agree that Benning has been a disaster this season. You expect a young player to maybe plateau or regress a tiny bit in his second year, the old sophomore jinx but not as much as he has. That being said, the Oilers aren't in a position to be trading away right shooting dmen that can move the puck and skate. If there is a trade that brings you a more established, more expensive guy. Maybe he has fallen out of favor with the coach and needs a fresh start and Benning needs to be part of it so they get a dman back, then do it. But they can't be trading dmen out without another one coming back.

This season has been a disaster. I fully expect the organization to look at everyone from the GM down to the players. Moving forward, maybe you don't fire the head coach but I don't see how you can keep the assistants. I have heard in interviews some of the young dmen, like Nurse, credit Johnson as helping him develop. So maybe if he is good at developing dmen in the NHL, you can keep him on to be a defense coach but his PK sucks. So someone new needs to do that. Woodcroft needs to go. His PP sucks.

For the players, I don't see how you can completely keep the same forward units. Swapping out bit guys like Slep or Pakarinen doesn't do squat. You need to change up the top 9. You know that McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Lucic, Puljujarvi are all here. There is a good chance that probably one or both of Strome and Caggulia are here. So that leaves 2 spots. If Maroon comes back, then you really haven't changed much.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 February 2018 12:30]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708790 is a reply to message #708782 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 10:52

I think they have to trade Maroon too. It's great that the players think they can still make it. In my opinion, they couldn't lose last night. So they are done. You still want the guys pushing forward but they aren't making it. So they have to get something for Maroon. You can have a contract in the drawer if you want but you can't hold on to a UFA when you aren't making the playoffs and risk him walking for nothing. Unless a team blows your socks off, I wouldn't rush to trade him until the deadline because then as soon as you trade Maroon, you signal to the team you are done.

Agree 100%.
I know it doesn't happen often but it isn't like they can't resign him in FA. He talks all the time about loving EDM, loving the team, the city, etc. If he wants to come back he still will.
If some team wants to drastically overpay you can walk away from the table and got the assets from the trade.
If the market for him isnt as big as he hopes you sign him to a reasonable deal.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708799 is a reply to message #708774 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

That's pretty sad....well it's more than sad, it's alarming because they're only 2 years into his 7x6 deal. I was going to be concerned after the 4th year, but it's coming sooner.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708803 is a reply to message #708799 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 14:36

That's pretty sad....well it's more than sad, it's alarming because they're only 2 years into his 7x6 deal. I was going to be concerned after the 4th year, but it's coming sooner.

Even if we brought him to be a leader, how do you lead when you're game sucks that much ass? The voice of healthy scratched Hendricks would probably carry more weight in the room than Lucic's right now.

Big mistake IMO playing him with McDavid. He was just as bad last year with McDavid and it took him a very long time playing against some weaker comp to look decent again after that disappointment of sucking while playing with his 20 year old hero. Really, Lucic should be playing 2nd/3rd line minutes permanently at this point...with 5 years left on his deal.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 February 2018 15:09]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708813 is a reply to message #708799 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

The GM has tied his hands again.

Just like he did in Boston.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708814 is a reply to message #708813 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 20:59

The GM has tied his hands again.

Just like he did in Boston.

At least in Boston he had the excuse of winning a cup and had to pay to keep the core together that got him here. Lots of teams get screwed over by success in a cap system if the timing is bad for new contracts for their best players.

Here, we got 1 playoff round win for our cap hell that will probably last 3-4 years before we can have flexibility to add proven quality depth again.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708834 is a reply to message #708814 ]
Fri, 09 February 2018 09:34 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Pfft. In 5 more years Lucic is off the books and by then McDavid's contract is probably a bargain. I virtually guarantee we are in the playoff hunt that year.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708792 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilCanSam  is currently offline OilCanSam

No Cups

Go Oilers!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708793 is a reply to message #708792 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilCanSam wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 13:11

Go Oilers!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/films/2017/11/27/cavill_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqVkR74_kydjgeTPIib1rsJ6x30VG81Iu4g0V5oSrMhqQ.jpg?imwidth=450

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708796 is a reply to message #708751 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

This was a game of inches, if McDavid makes that backhand sauce over Doughty’s stick we would be talking about a 3-2 win. Instead it was blocked and Pulju takes a bad penalty seconds later.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708797 is a reply to message #708796 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 14:13

This was a game of inches, if McDavid makes that backhand sauce over Doughty’s stick we would be talking about a 3-2 win. Instead it was blocked and Pulju takes a bad penalty seconds later.

It seems to be the difference between last year and this one- last year, that shot would have somehow gotten past Kuemper. Last year, Testudo played over his head to make the PP potent. It's not a case of him regressing so much as just going back to his more usual numbers.

If Chia/TMac made any huge mistakes, it was in assuming that certain players like Testudo were going to just keep playing like they did rather than realizing that last year was an anomaly. It just seems like most if not all of the Canadian teams that made the playoffs over the past few years have experienced this kind of unnatural spurt of improved play only to come back to earth the next season.

If the front office and coaching staff are to be given more time, they need to recognize this and make changes accordingly. This coming offseason could be a really interesting one, hopefully in a good way.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708805 is a reply to message #708796 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

You make a good point. Oilers got the PP goal on a good shot by Leon. I believe it was their next PP, they move it around, Leon gets an even better shot off but Kuemper makes an amazing save. Half an inch either way and it s probably in. Last year, that shot was in. Last year, Talbot stops that Kempe shot. It was a good shot but last year he was able to bail out the team when they made a mistake. This year for whatever reason most nights, Talbot isn't able to make that big save so any mistakes they make is in the net. I heard the number but I can't remember what it is but the Oilers have been scored on by the first shot of the game some ridiculous amount this year. It wasn't like that last year. It has to be deflating to the guys on the bench to be chasing the game barely 2 mins in over and over again. Is some of that on the players, sure but lots of it is on Talbot. Make a bloody save.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708806 is a reply to message #708805 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 16:00

You make a good point. Oilers got the PP goal on a good shot by Leon. I believe it was their next PP, they move it around, Leon gets an even better shot off but Kuemper makes an amazing save. Half an inch either way and it s probably in. Last year, that shot was in. Last year, Talbot stops that Kempe shot. It was a good shot but last year he was able to bail out the team when they made a mistake. This year for whatever reason most nights, Talbot isn't able to make that big save so any mistakes they make is in the net. I heard the number but I can't remember what it is but the Oilers have been scored on by the first shot of the game some ridiculous amount this year. It wasn't like that last year. It has to be deflating to the guys on the bench to be chasing the game barely 2 mins in over and over again. Is some of that on the players, sure but lots of it is on Talbot. Make a bloody save.

If I'm not mistaken, last night was the 9th time that Oilers goaltending let in the first shot this year. If that isn't some kind of record by a country mile, I'd be shocked. That's just terrible.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52) [message #708808 is a reply to message #708806 ]
Thu, 08 February 2018 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 16:28

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 February 2018 16:00

If I'm not mistaken, last night was the 9th time that Oilers goaltending let in the first shot this year. If that isn't some kind of record by a country mile, I'd be shocked. That's just terrible.

1st shot in the 1st period, and 1st shot in the 2nd period.

Hate to blame goalie coaches, but Talbot and LB are showing some common traits. Can make the great saves in close due to their athleticism, but their puck tracking and and positioning seems crap for the longer range stuff.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Coffey hiring official- Skills development coach
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca