This day on May 25
None

Happy Birthday To: laraque, Kingmeat, JustinCider, kuhnadian, chris waugh

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708521]
Mon, 05 February 2018 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans is currently online OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   16%
Tampa Bay to win:   84%
45 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708523 is a reply to message #708521 ]
Mon, 05 February 2018 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

What fell sorcery is this? Cambot consorts with the Devil! The Devil, I tells ya! He really seemed confident when he made his prediction. icon_eek

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708524 is a reply to message #708523 ]
Mon, 05 February 2018 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Looks like Adam picked a good game to go to. That must have been awesome to see live. Too bad McD never saw the ice after #4. Would have been fun to see someone win $1m.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708527 is a reply to message #708524 ]
Mon, 05 February 2018 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 05 February 2018 20:50

Looks like Adam picked a good game to go to. That must have been awesome to see live. Too bad McD never saw the ice after #4. Would have been fun to see someone win $1m.

Safewaygate. Discuss

Also, a good win against a good team. And 2 PP goals?!?

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708531 is a reply to message #708524 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 05 February 2018 21:50

Adam probably had a great time minus the Smyth standing ovation

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708539 is a reply to message #708531 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 01:06

I have never hated Ryan Smyth. I have a Smyth jersey in my closet. Just never thought he was captain material and thought he was wildly overrated - never the best player on any Oilers team he played for. His second tour of duty was unfortunate, as he burned some of his legacy by coming back - especially when he pouted about getting scratched and about some of his usage in his final season.

It was fun to see Roloson there too...man he looked awkward hearing the "Roli! Roli! Roli!" chants.

My daughter has now been to two games - the first was the playoff-spot-clinching game against Los Angeles last year, and now the McDavid 4-goal, 5-point performance. This is how the Oilers rope you in...at first it's all sunshine and roses and glorious, fun-filled games...and then later on they burn you for it.

It was like there were two games last night - one where the McDavid was on the ice, and a totally different game when he wasn't. #97 was on fire. He certainly could have had 5 or 6 goals and it was definitely a shame that he saw only a single shift after he had 4. McLellan is no fun.

Not sure what the coach was thinking when he put out Khaira, Caggiula, and Strome as the support staff on the powerplay with McDavid. Yes, Draisaitl was in the box, but are those really the best three players for PP1?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708547 is a reply to message #708539 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 08:31

I have never hated Ryan Smyth. I have a Smyth jersey in my closet. Just never thought he was captain material and thought he was wildly overrated - never the best player on any Oilers team he played for. His second tour of duty was unfortunate, as he burned some of his legacy by coming back - especially when he pouted about getting scratched and about some of his usage in his final season.

It was fun to see Roloson there too...man he looked awkward hearing the "Roli! Roli! Roli!" chants.

My daughter has now been to two games - the first was the playoff-spot-clinching game against Los Angeles last year, and now the McDavid 4-goal, 5-point performance. This is how the Oilers rope you in...at first it's all sunshine and roses and glorious, fun-filled games...and then later on they burn you for it.

It was like there were two games last night - one where the McDavid was on the ice, and a totally different game when he wasn't. #97 was on fire. He certainly could have had 5 or 6 goals and it was definitely a shame that he saw only a single shift after he had 4. McLellan is no fun.

Not sure what the coach was thinking when he put out Khaira, Caggiula, and Strome as the support staff on the powerplay with McDavid. Yes, Draisaitl was in the box, but are those really the best three players for PP1?

So what you are saying is that we all need to chip in and get you two season tickets?

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708551 is a reply to message #708547 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 09:17

So what you are saying is that we all need to chip in and get you two season tickets?

Well, I won't turn them down, but there's no guarantees on how long that beginner's luck can last...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708555 is a reply to message #708539 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Caggiula and Strome did help get 2 PPG's that night. I'd take Khaira over Letestu or Lucic being allowed back on the 1st unit.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708556 is a reply to message #708555 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 10:34

Caggiula and Strome did help get 2 PPG's that night. I'd take Khaira over Letestu or Lucic being allowed back on the 1st unit.

Maybe Maroon or Puljujarvi though? I mean McDavid is amazing, but can we please get him some help?

I thought Strome was okay on the PP. Won faceoffs and had a couple of nice passes. Caggiula did really next to nothing. He poked at the goalie on Draisaitl's goal, but I don't think that impacted the scoring play. It was going in regardless.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708558 is a reply to message #708556 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 10:36

Maybe Maroon or Puljujarvi though? I mean McDavid is amazing, but can we please get him some help?

I thought Strome was okay on the PP. Won faceoffs and had a couple of nice passes. Caggiula did really next to nothing. He poked at the goalie on Draisaitl's goal, but I don't think that impacted the scoring play. It was going in regardless.

Pulju? You crazy?? He's gonna confuse everyone out there by not speaking with proper grammar.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708559 is a reply to message #708558 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 10:40

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 10:36

Pulju? You crazy?? He's gonna confuse everyone out there by not speaking with proper grammar.

Are we sure that McLellan meant language barriers when he was talking about Puljujarvi's English skills?

https://media.giphy.com/media/aThp7XffEBD2M/giphy.gif

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708638 is a reply to message #708539 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

So basically, you hate Ryan Smith.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid hoping it's Drain-O.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708643 is a reply to message #708638 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 22:52

So basically, you hate Ryan Smith.

Nah, I hate Ryan Jones. He lost me that damn bet.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708652 is a reply to message #708539 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Because the PP has been humming along so well this season using combinations of the obvious guys?

Oh wait.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?reportType=season&seasonFr om=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter= gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

According to that, it's 30th in the league, I believe it was dead last not long ago. So if the 30th ranked PP rolls out a few different guys just to try anything at this point in the hopes that maybe something clicks, we should be mad about it?

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708655 is a reply to message #708652 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 February 2018 08:18

Because the PP has been humming along so well this season using combinations of the obvious guys?

Oh wait.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?reportType=season&seasonFr om=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter= gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

According to that, it's 30th in the league, I believe it was dead last not long ago. So if the 30th ranked PP rolls out a few different guys just to try anything at this point in the hopes that maybe something clicks, we should be mad about it?

Wait a minute, you're arguing the power play should be in argument in favor of the coaching staff's decision making capabilities?

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Red wine summit in Banff!

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708657 is a reply to message #708655 ]
Wed, 07 February 2018 08:54 Go to previous message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 07 February 2018 08:40

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 February 2018 08:18

Oh wait.

Wait a minute, you're arguing the power play should be in argument in favor of the coaching staff's decision making capabilities?

I am saying the PP isn't working well and hasn't all season. I am sure a big chunk of it is the system isn't working with who they are running out their. I have a hard time believing they have done nothing with the system all year. I am sure they have been changing things. But for whatever reason, its not working. Either the system just sucks and everything they have tried to change isn't working, the players don't understand it or the players aren't buying in. Regardless, it's not working. It is pretty clear to me that the Oilers at the very least need to bring in a new assistant to operate their special teams. But I don't think they can do that mid season because most guys already have jobs whether it's in the NHL, Europe, AHL or wherever. I don't think there is this giant room of qualified NHL coaches just sitting twiddling their thumbs waiting for the phone to ring. So I think for this season, they are stuck with who they have. So because of that. You can either keep rolling out the same combo of guys, cross your fingers but probably get the same crap results or you can switch it up and try someone else for the time being.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708528 is a reply to message #708523 ]
Mon, 05 February 2018 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 05 February 2018 21:39

What fell sorcery is this? Cambot consorts with the Devil! The Devil, I tells ya! He really seemed confident when he made his prediction. icon_eek

The same sorcery that we used in the lead up to the games vs Vegas.

It's games like this that remind us how good this team can be, and if we weren't so inconsistent and suffering the sophomore blues as a team we would be fulfilling the pre season predictions.

It's also these games that make me think we shouldn't make to many knee jerk trades towards deadline day, as this team can do it, we just need to give them a chance. Then I remember how bad we've been this year.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708525 is a reply to message #708521 ]
Mon, 05 February 2018 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McPoints!!!!!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708529 is a reply to message #708525 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

6th reply to the review thread on a dominant win over the best team in the league, complete with Hart, Norris, and Vezina candidates, Connor gets 4g 1a? Sign of the times.

I'm guessing the wife's name was up for the Score & Win for McDavid's potential 5th, that had to be it. Seriously, it would have been epic for McDavid to have made a millionaire out of someone. That would have solidified him early in his career as a legend in northern AB.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708530 is a reply to message #708529 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Huge bonus points, forgot completely that this game was being shown on delay over here.. thankfully I've got all Oilers game on record no matter what. So I guess I'll sit down and have breakfast watching this game..

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708549 is a reply to message #708530 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Quite the game by the Oilers especially McDavid. I always want my team to win but at the same time I find last nights game frustrating because to me while it is by far a not perfect team, it shows what the team CAN do, how they can beat anyone and how disappointing this season has been because when they play well, they can do that.. I don't know if Tampa was just off but they are a hell of a team, not a ton of holes, their goalie might be the Vezina favorite and the Oilers beat the hell out of them. What I also love/find frustrating is McDavid was on another level last night. While a lot of guys on the team were pretty good, McDavid won that game all by himself. So I love it because he's on MY TEAM. But what I find frustrating is if he is capable of that kind of game against the best team in the league, where is that level in other games? Go down the list of games that the Oilers pissed away, the Buffalo game as an example. IF McDavid can make a game look like a man against 8 yr olds against the best team in the league, why couldn't he do that against Buffalo, one of the crappiest teams? Even if McDavid is 1/2 as good as he was last night against Buffalo, they probably win.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708561 is a reply to message #708549 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 10:01

Quite the game by the Oilers especially McDavid. I always want my team to win but at the same time I find last nights game frustrating because to me while it is by far a not perfect team, it shows what the team CAN do, how they can beat anyone and how disappointing this season has been because when they play well, they can do that.. I don't know if Tampa was just off but they are a hell of a team, not a ton of holes, their goalie might be the Vezina favorite and the Oilers beat the hell out of them. What I also love/find frustrating is McDavid was on another level last night. While a lot of guys on the team were pretty good, McDavid won that game all by himself. So I love it because he's on MY TEAM. But what I find frustrating is if he is capable of that kind of game against the best team in the league, where is that level in other games? Go down the list of games that the Oilers pissed away, the Buffalo game as an example. IF McDavid can make a game look like a man against 8 yr olds against the best team in the league, why couldn't he do that against Buffalo, one of the crappiest teams? Even if McDavid is 1/2 as good as he was last night against Buffalo, they probably win.

....one of the reasons I heard explaining Tampa's weak performance was that they were still recovering from their All-Star game obligations; lots of off-ice activities and schmoozing for the players while the Oilers had lots of time off ice...kind of a weak explanation, I thought; McDavid was at the All-Star game, then took a day off from practice, and had one of his best games ever in the NHL...and he was shooting more himself rather than feeding his wingmen (9 shots on goal for McDavid)...hope he keeps that up...not that I want him to become "selfish" but if he's got it, he should flaunt it....not sure if last night was a one -off or if I just haven't been paying close enough attention, but McDavid seems to be doing good work behind the goal line, setting up either himself or his teammates...

...too bad Nugent-Hopkins is hurt...I think he is still the Oilers' best option centering the second line...

....glad to see Talbot with a solid effort....according to Remenda (i know, not the best source), Montoya tends to be outstanding for a while after being traded, then tails off dramatically after about six games....just hoping the rest of Talbot's season is healthy and steady...

...frustrating season with too few gems like last night indeed...

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708562 is a reply to message #708561 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 10:57

....one of the reasons I heard explaining Tampa's weak performance was that they were still recovering from their All-Star game obligations; lots of off-ice activities and schmoozing for the players while the Oilers had lots of time off ice...kind of a weak explanation, I thought; McDavid was at the All-Star game, then took a day off from practice, and had one of his best games ever in the NHL...and he was shooting more himself rather than feeding his wingmen (9 shots on goal for McDavid)...hope he keeps that up...not that I want him to become "selfish" but if he's got it, he should flaunt it....not sure if last night was a one -off or if I just haven't been paying close enough attention, but McDavid seems to be doing good work behind the goal line, setting up either himself or his teammates...

...too bad Nugent-Hopkins is hurt...I think he is still the Oilers' best option centering the second line...

....glad to see Talbot with a solid effort....according to Remenda (i know, not the best source), Montoya tends to be outstanding for a while after being traded, then tails off dramatically after about six games....just hoping the rest of Talbot's season is healthy and steady...

...frustrating season with too few gems like last night indeed...

If Tampa is using that excuse, that is pretty pathetic. The All star game was Jan 28th. Since then Tampa played Jan 30, Feb 1, Feb 3, then last night. So they had 3 games to knock off any rust. If any team should have been flat it was the Oilers. They had their bye week from Jan 14-20. Played 3 games, the last being Jan 25th. Then didn't play another game until Feb 1. Then had another 3 days off before their Feb 5th game. So 5 games in 23 days which is ridiculous.

I do agree with you on McDavid needing to be more selfish. I know he likes to set up guys but moving forward, he has to make himself more of a shooting threat on the ice. Teams expect him to pass, so much so at times they give him premium shooting positions because they aren't worried about him shooting. I sound like a broken record but it is so frustrating to watch McDavid penetrate the zone with ease, be allowed to skate into the high slot, traffic in front with time and space and see him pass off a premium scoring chance to thread a pass through to a winger at the side of the goal in the hopes that winger can make an extremely low percentage shot to score. As soon as he makes himself a shooting threat, especially on the PP, things will open up for him and especially the team. Right now, the other team just cover the passing lanes, force the wingers into bad spots then we as fans complain that his winger suck when they can't convert on passes that have little chance of going in. With McDavid's speed and skill, there is absolutely not reason he shouldn't be able to score 35+ with ease.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 February 2018 11:15]

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708563 is a reply to message #708549 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I assume you played sports, probably including hockey growing up. While you or me or everyone else in here was never as dominant as McDavid, there's always some variability of how you play game to game. You wish you could play that good every night, but sometimes it just doesn't bounce right for you.

There's been lots of games this year where McDavid has looked absolutely dominant and come away with one or no points. It's a game of inches, so if he's a fraction further off on his second goal, if he gets stopped by Vasilevskiy on the first one rather than #88 getting just a piece of it, and if he doesn't get wholly lucky on goal #4, then he's played an amazing game and has just 2 points to show for it.

It was the same with Gretzky. He'd have dazzling nights where he put up 5 or 6 points, and he'd have others where it wasn't there. The Oilers still lost plenty of games in the Glory Years, despite having the best player ever to play the game. It's not that McDavid is giving a different level of compete...not most nights anyhow. It's that you can't simply will the team to victory every game and in a game of inches, sometimes you're going to be an inch off.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 February 2018 11:21]

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708566 is a reply to message #708563 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

One other guy who I thought played one of his best games as an Oiler, despite not showing up on the score sheet, was JJ Khaira. He looked to be a force out there, mixing it up all over the ice.
He had one glaring turnover, but hustled back and poke checked the Tampa player he'd turned it over to and retrieved the puck.

I like him at C. Ideally 4C, with the odd shift at 3C if he's deserving of it. He seems more comfortable there than on the wing too.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708568 is a reply to message #708563 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 11:19

I assume you played sports, probably including hockey growing up. While you or me or everyone else in here was never as dominant as McDavid, there's always some variability of how you play game to game. You wish you could play that good every night, but sometimes it just doesn't bounce right for you.

There's been lots of games this year where McDavid has looked absolutely dominant and come away with one or no points. It's a game of inches, so if he's a fraction further off on his second goal, if he gets stopped by Vasilevskiy on the first one rather than #88 getting just a piece of it, and if he doesn't get wholly lucky on goal #4, then he's played an amazing game and has just 2 points to show for it.

It was the same with Gretzky. He'd have dazzling nights where he put up 5 or 6 points, and he'd have others where it wasn't there. The Oilers still lost plenty of games in the Glory Years, despite having the best player ever to play the game. It's not that McDavid is giving a different level of compete...not most nights anyhow. It's that you can't simply will the team to victory every game and in a game of inches, sometimes you're going to be an inch off.

While I would like it to happen, I am not naive enough to think that a player can bring his A game every night in an 82 game season but the Oilers have played 51 games. Can anyone with any kind of honesty say the team has brought their A game in even half those 51 games? Please, please save your Chi or McLellan hate for somewhere else. Trust me I know your position on them and I agree that Chia, McLellan and the coaches have lots of blame on them but this collection of players has not played to their capabilities on a lot of nights. While no where near a perfect roster, this roster is good enough to be in a playoff spot. I have a hard time believing even with all the warts the roster has, that if they played to their capabilities, they would be 11 pts out.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708577 is a reply to message #708568 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 11:57

While I would like it to happen, I am not naive enough to think that a player can bring his A game every night in an 82 game season but the Oilers have played 51 games. Can anyone with any kind of honesty say the team has brought their A game in even half those 51 games? Please, please save your Chi or McLellan hate for somewhere else. Trust me I know your position on them and I agree that Chia, McLellan and the coaches have lots of blame on them but this collection of players has not played to their capabilities on a lot of nights. While no where near a perfect roster, this roster is good enough to be in a playoff spot. I have a hard time believing even with all the warts the roster has, that if they played to their capabilities, they would be 11 pts out.

I think McDavid has been somewhere around 48 or 49 of the 51 games. He's been excellent. I was at the 5-0 loss to Los Angeles earlier in the year. It was a woeful game, but all the bright spots were around chances created by McDavid.

I don't think there's been any issue with his level of compete on a night-to-night basis.

Honestly, I do think the team's mental game has been weaker this year. They fade after goals against some games. That's an issue. There's been lots of people underperforming to their abilities. I still think a lot of that goes to coaching. We've seen this coaching fail to get the most out of almost everyone who's been here in the three years under McLellan. At some point, you have to look at the common element.

It's worth pointing out that the team hasn't been that bad at 5v5 and if the special teams were even just mediocre instead of historically bad, that 11 point gap is probably an awful lot smaller.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708600 is a reply to message #708568 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 12:57

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 11:19

In this last post you say "Can anyone with any kind of honesty say the team has brought their A game in even half those 51 games? "
but your original post and recent post history, has all been about McDavid and how much better he should or could be.
What are you trying to say? Is the team not bringing it or is McDavid?

The team has played roughly 10-12 good games in my estimation. Outside of the spell when McDavid was sick I would say he has played really good in most, amazing in about 15 and not good in about 2.

I mentioned this in a post a few days ago but if we are so far down the blame list that you want to focus on McDavid then you have completely lost focus of the issues with this season.

**Edited to remove wording likely to cause an RDOF meltdown

[Updated on: Tue, 06 February 2018 13:59]

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708599 is a reply to message #708521 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Lol.. one of the best games I have ever been to and saw McDavid to McDavidy things. It was awesome and it was heck of an entertaining game! When McDavid wants something he gets it. Other worldly comes to mind.

Then Safewaygate (haha) I mean yeah, McDavid being sat for the last 2 minutes of the game preventing the score and win. I bet Safeway/Sobey's were needing oxygen so they never had to pay that out. I doubt it but..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708602 is a reply to message #708599 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 14:54

Lol.. one of the best games I have ever been to and saw McDavid to McDavidy things. It was awesome and it was heck of an entertaining game! When McDavid wants something he gets it. Other worldly comes to mind.

Then Safewaygate (haha) I mean yeah, McDavid being sat for the last 2 minutes of the game preventing the score and win. I bet Safeway/Sobey's were needing oxygen so they never had to pay that out. I doubt it but..

I was at McDavids first 5 point game against Toronto, shortly after he came back from the injury. Being there with 2 Leaf fans was one of the best experiences of my hockey viewing life. Eberle got a hat trick in that one and I through my brand new Oilers hat. Also tossed my buddies Leafs hat.
Expensive celebration but worth it.

Games like last night are the only reason why I still watch during this lost season. Just seeing McDavid game to game is worth the chance I come away completely frustrated with the state of the rest of the team.

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708604 is a reply to message #708599 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 13:54

I wonder if Safeway ups the goal requirement to 6 for next season. They way McDavid was flying, if he had of gotten another shift, I wouldn't have been surprised if he scored 5.

He would never do it but it would have been cool if McDavid after his 5th point, skated up to Kucherov and told him he's coming for him. icon_lol

Re: Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51) [message #708606 is a reply to message #708604 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 14:06

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 13:54

I wonder if Safeway ups the goal requirement to 6 for next season. They way McDavid was flying, if he had of gotten another shift, I wouldn't have been surprised if he scored 5.

He would never do it but it would have been cool if McDavid after his 5th point, skated up to Kucherov and told him he's coming for him. icon_lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_with_five_or_m ore_goals_in_an_NHL_game

Pretty sure Safeway (or their insurer) aren't too worried about anybody scoring 5 goals in a game.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #52)
Next Topic:Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca