This day on February 18
Acquired: Denis Grebeshkov (2007)
Departed: Marc-Andre Bergeron (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Oilers94

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708310]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   49%
Colorado to win:   51%
41 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708328 is a reply to message #708310 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

So I hear that Platinum Blonde is coming to River Cree..

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708329 is a reply to message #708310 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

MOAR CAGGIULAAAAAA

Must never try Pulju in OT. Must be safe with cagggeulia

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708330 is a reply to message #708310 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Strome, Caggiula and Nurse?????????????????

faint

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708332 is a reply to message #708330 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 21:44

faint

Mirrored the same thing in my house. Knew we were done and did.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708333 is a reply to message #708332 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 21:47

faint

Season is over, and McLellan still can't bring himself to give Pulju some time in OT.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708335 is a reply to message #708333 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 21:51

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 21:47

faint

Season is over, and McLellan still can't bring himself to give Pulju some time in OT.

Bizarre. No Nuge and they needed some speed. Caggiula's little poopyfit at the end summed it the season- turned his back on the slot and game over- oooooooops, stick slap, look upstairs, skate away, feel shame. At least they are consistent in their inconsistency.

Added: Caggiula fell on the sword for this loss, admitted he blew it in the post game interview.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 February 2018 23:23]

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708336 is a reply to message #708333 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

God damn Pulju. If only he could learn English. This season is on him.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708338 is a reply to message #708336 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 21:58

God damn Pulju. If only he could learn English. This season is on him.

It really is.

We weren't allowed to start the year with even close to NHL quality RW depth because of Pulju's english.

We aren't allowed to have an NHL quality 1-timer that is good further tahn 10 ft from the net because of Pulju's english.

We have to put out Strome and Caggiula as our 2nd OT unit because of Pulju's english.

Damn kid man, he messed up badly. So bad the Oilers decided to get him an english tutor after he's been in the org for over 1 and a half years.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 February 2018 22:16]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708334 is a reply to message #708330 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 20:44

faint

I wonder if Rishaug's first question to McLellan will be about how he came up with that trio for OT or if it will be about Montoya's fragile mental state?

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: 21
games!!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708341 is a reply to message #708310 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

McDavid's goals were pretty good tonight but play of the day goes to Al Montoya ignoring Ryan Rishaug's question post-game. Awesome.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708342 is a reply to message #708341 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Awesome. Not malicious or attacking at all, unlike some people.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/post-game-raw--al-montoya/t -277437406/c-57274203

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708344 is a reply to message #708342 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Looks like Larsson's father had a health issue and unfortunately passed away according to his IG cry

Wishing you all the best Lars!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2018 00:32]

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708370 is a reply to message #708344 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

1 Cup

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 23:30

Looks like Larsson's father had a health issue and unfortunately passed away according to his IG cry

Just heard that his father was just 50. Never easy to lose a loved one, but that's relatively young.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708376 is a reply to message #708370 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 09:44

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 23:30

Just heard that his father was just 50. Never easy to lose a loved one, but that's relatively young.

...very sad.....I didn't realize Adam Larsson's father had been a Los Angeles King draft pick...

https://www.tsn.ca/father-of-oilers-larsson-passes-away-at-5 0-1.986586

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708350 is a reply to message #708341 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 01 February 2018 21:28

McDavid's goals were pretty good tonight but play of the day goes to Al Montoya ignoring Ryan Rishaug's question post-game. Awesome.

Got up too early so tuned into TSN 1260 hopeful of hot takes as the media bumbles all over themselves. I am so far not disappointed.

Nielsen compares Montoya refusing to talk to the media yesterday morning to a lawyer refusing to talk to their client on the day of a trial.

Yup, exactly the same thing! rofl

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708357 is a reply to message #708350 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I watched most of the game and was blown away to hear that McDavid's goal was his first in I think they said 13 games. If you want to know why in my opinion the Oilers are where they are, there is a prime example. I know there are other of the Oilers top guys who are in slumps. People can blame the coaches, blame the GM and deservedly so but when your best players aren't playing to their capabilities, it doesn't matter much. How the fastest, arguably most offensively gifted player in the league can go 13 games without a goal is mind boggling. Then I watched McDavid pass up prime shot after prime shot to try and set someone up for a low percentage chance and no wonder the Oilers suck. People complain about not having enough good wingers on the team for McDavid which I am not saying isn't a valid complaint. But I watched on a PP where McDavid had the puck in the area between the hash marks closest to the goal and the faceoff dot, so a decent shooting spot. He had time, he had traffic in front, he had guys going to the net. Did he do the simply, high percentage play and put the puck on net? NAH, why the hell would an Oiler do that, makes too much sense. What McDavid did and what he does all the time is he stick handled more to the middle, got his shooting angle even better, then fired a pass off towards the corner towards Drai so Drai could get off a sharp angled shot. Now Drai because he is so skilled made a good shot but unless he was standing right beside McDavid which would be dumb and make it even easier on the opposition to defend you, Drai was in the best spot he could be. So there was next to no net to shoot at given where he was. So unless the goalie completely tanked on the shot or an act of god happened, the chances of that shot going in were next to none.

The woes of this team aren't all on McDavid and I thought overall, he was decent. He scored 2 goals so obviously he was. But I can see why this team doesn't win. If your captain and best player by a mile doesn't want to play a more simple, winning style of hockey, why the hell should the rest of your team.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2018 08:46]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708364 is a reply to message #708357 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 08:34

The woes of this team aren't all on McDavid and I thought overall, he was decent. He scored 2 goals so obviously he was. But I can see why this team doesn't win. If your captain and best player by a mile doesn't want to play a more simple, winning style of hockey, why the hell should the rest of your team.

Sounds like you hate watched the game and while McDavid passes instead of shoots, the fact his wingers can't complete a shot without fanning or bumbling isn't on McDavid. That's his M.O., always was and always will be. To lament just him isn't fair. It's on the team who can't keep up and complete the play. Yeah it's frustrating, for sure it is.

I left the game before the tying goal, the game was boring, uneventful and lacked emotion for a team trying to have a respectable finish. Seriously that first was so slow and rusty I was disinterested and wished I could flip the channel.. can't do that when you're there. So I lumbered through and the second some action but it was purely Colorado. The rust was still there except for McDavid he was trying everything.

Can you believe some people got legitimately upset that the goal in the second would be disallowed? You can't push the entire goalie in the crease with your stick and be upset that Toronto took it away and then I read tweets that it was the 11th straight time Toronto went again the Oilers. That wasn't a goal and the fact that they called it a goal upon initial review was silly, Toronto was right to get them back on the phone to call it back. Thanks refs, but that shouldn't have counted. It didn't and I'm glad the arena moved on.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708366 is a reply to message #708364 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 09:12

Sounds like you hate watched the game and while McDavid passes instead of shoots, the fact his wingers can't complete a shot without fanning or bumbling isn't on McDavid. That's his M.O., always was and always will be. To lament just him isn't fair. It's on the team who can't keep up and complete the play. Yeah it's frustrating, for sure it is.

I left the game before the tying goal, the game was boring, uneventful and lacked emotion for a team trying to have a respectable finish. Seriously that first was so slow and rusty I was disinterested and wished I could flip the channel.. can't do that when you're there. So I lumbered through and the second some action but it was purely Colorado. The rust was still there except for McDavid he was trying everything.

Can you believe some people got legitimately upset that the goal in the second would be disallowed? You can't push the entire goalie in the crease with your stick and be upset that Toronto took it away and then I read tweets that it was the 11th straight time Toronto went again the Oilers. That wasn't a goal and the fact that they called it a goal upon initial review was silly, Toronto was right to get them back on the phone to call it back. Thanks refs, but that shouldn't have counted. It didn't and I'm glad the arena moved on.

15th actually. I was absolutely flabbergasted that after reviewing it the first time they called it a goal. No way no how is that ever a goal in the NHL. Not upset at all that it was overruled.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708367 is a reply to message #708366 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 09:18

15th actually. I was absolutely flabbergasted that after reviewing it the first time they called it a goal. No way no how is that ever a goal in the NHL. Not upset at all that it was overruled.

Thanks for the correction! I'm with you, no way that was a goal and had the same reaction.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708381 is a reply to message #708364 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

There is an unmistakable bias (whether inherent or developed from years of tanking) against the Oilers by NHL officials and Toronto. It is simply a fact of life. If this team is ever to win a Stanley, they’re going to have to overcome 2 separate teams at once throughout the playoffs.

The way the league handles suspensions and officiating are big reasons why I’ve turned off for about 3-4 years. It’s a garbage league I’m somewhat sorry to say.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708385 is a reply to message #708364 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I am of the opinion that if you are McDavid and you are the fastest player in the league. On top of that, there are lots of players that are really fast but can't handle the puck at full speed overly well. Well McDavid is the fastest guy in the league who on top of that, can handle the puck and make plays at his ridiculous speed better than anyone else. So he's the fastest most offensively skilled guy in the league, even though he likes to set up guys, he has no business not being a 35+ goal guy. He should be able to do that every year easily. He's on pace for way less than that. That is a fail on his part and it has nothing to do with wingers. He passes up WAY, WAY, WAY too many premium scoring chances to try and set up guys. That is 100% on him.

I also think and this in an angle that NO ONE takes. I think that while I agree that the Oilers need to find better wingers for him, I also think that some of the issues with McDavid's wingers is on him. He can do things and put the puck in places that probably 99% of the players in the league flat out can't do. McDavid in the last 2 seasons has played a significant amount of time with Drai. Drai talent wise is probably easily in the top 10% of the league. Drai would be the #1 center and best player on most teams. McDavid tries to set up Drai in ways that even Drai can't convert because he's not on McDavid's level. So is that Drai's fault? I would say no. So it is incumbent on McDavid to set up the guys he plays with in a way that they have a legit chance to convert. If you fire a pass across to set up a guy for a one timer that he has to bat it out of the air, is it the wingers fault he can't convert when in reality only McDavid and maybe a couple others can? Or if you fire a pass across and the only spot a guy can score from is a spot that only a handful of guys can hit, is that the wingers fault? I would say no. The goal McDavid scored where he batted the puck out of the air was incredible. Not many guys could do that. Put if it was McDavid passing the puck out to who ever, some would complain there was another example of McDavid setting up a guy and the winger not being good enough to convert.

So while again, I think they need to work on finding wingers that mesh better with McDavid. I also thing that McDavid needs to learn how to play better with who is with him. That means when you set up a guy, you set him up in high percentage areas. Expecting wingers to convert your set ups when in reality, very few can, is unrealistic.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708388 is a reply to message #708385 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 11:26

I am of the opinion that if you are McDavid and you are the fastest player in the league. On top of that, there are lots of players that are really fast but can't handle the puck at full speed overly well. Well McDavid is the fastest guy in the league who on top of that, can handle the puck and make plays at his ridiculous speed better than anyone else. So he's the fastest most offensively skilled guy in the league, even though he likes to set up guys, he has no business not being a 35+ goal guy. He should be able to do that every year easily. He's on pace for way less than that. That is a fail on his part and it has nothing to do with wingers. He passes up WAY, WAY, WAY too many premium scoring chances to try and set up guys. That is 100% on him.

I also think and this in an angle that NO ONE takes. I think that while I agree that the Oilers need to find better wingers for him, I also think that some of the issues with McDavid's wingers is on him. He can do things and put the puck in places that probably 99% of the players in the league flat out can't do. McDavid in the last 2 seasons has played a significant amount of time with Drai. Drai talent wise is probably easily in the top 10% of the league. Drai would be the #1 center and best player on most teams. McDavid tries to set up Drai in ways that even Drai can't convert because he's not on McDavid's level. So is that Drai's fault? I would say no. So it is incumbent on McDavid to set up the guys he plays with in a way that they have a legit chance to convert. If you fire a pass across to set up a guy for a one timer that he has to bat it out of the air, is it the wingers fault he can't convert when in reality only McDavid and maybe a couple others can? Or if you fire a pass across and the only spot a guy can score from is a spot that only a handful of guys can hit, is that the wingers fault? I would say no. The goal McDavid scored where he batted the puck out of the air was incredible. Not many guys could do that. Put if it was McDavid passing the puck out to who ever, some would complain there was another example of McDavid setting up a guy and the winger not being good enough to convert.

So while again, I think they need to work on finding wingers that mesh better with McDavid. I also thing that McDavid needs to learn how to play better with who is with him. That means when you set up a guy, you set him up in high percentage areas. Expecting wingers to convert your set ups when in reality, very few can, is unrealistic.

Yeah because the best player on the planet really needs to dumb down his play so a bunch of hacks can keep up. That's our whole problem. Not the fact he has no wingers cause management gutted our strongest area while addressing nothing. Not the fact we went all in on old slow players that can't keep up. Not the fact we put all our eggs in on Talbot. McDavids the problem. Do you think at all before posting this drivel.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708392 is a reply to message #708388 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 11:35

Yeah because the best player on the planet really needs to dumb down his play so a bunch of hacks can keep up. That's our whole problem. Not the fact he has no wingers cause management gutted our strongest area while addressing nothing. Not the fact we went all in on old slow players that can't keep up. Not the fact we put all our eggs in on Talbot. McDavids the problem. Do you think at all before posting this drivel.

To be fair, we addressed cap space, which was a huge problem because you can't win in today's NHL without a new million in extra cap space saved for a rainy day... Think of all the 4th lines we need to overpay this offseason!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708393 is a reply to message #708388 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

To be fair, McDavid's goals against average is nothing to brag about either.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708396 is a reply to message #708393 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 13:02

To be fair, McDavid's goals against average is nothing to brag about either.

Is he playing goalie now as well?

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708401 is a reply to message #708385 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

You make a compelling argument about McDavid. He really is in a league of his own in some ways. One of the knocks on Eberle was that he couldn't play with McD and probably for reasons you have mentioned. Nobody else thinks the game like him. So keep it simple, just get to the net and wait for a rebound or pass.Maroon is the only one that gets that it seems. The coaches should be telling him to shoot more because (that way he will actually score more helping the team to win more ) and also for more garbage goal opportunities for the pluggers that are playing with him. So many plays wasted by the whole team on low percentage passes, him included! If you watch Tamps and Vegas play you see how uncomplicated winning hockey can be. ( Their coaching staffs are much better at managing player assets properly and putting players in a position to be successful mind you )

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2018 13:36]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708417 is a reply to message #708401 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

overdue wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 14:19

You make a compelling argument about McDavid. He really is in a league of his own in some ways. One of the knocks on Eberle was that he couldn't play with McD and probably for reasons you have mentioned. Nobody else thinks the game like him. So keep it simple, just get to the net and wait for a rebound or pass.Maroon is the only one that gets that it seems. The coaches should be telling him to shoot more because (that way he will actually score more helping the team to win more ) and also for more garbage goal opportunities for the pluggers that are playing with him. So many plays wasted by the whole team on low percentage passes, him included! If you watch Tamps and Vegas play you see how uncomplicated winning hockey can be. ( Their coaching staffs are much better at managing player assets properly and putting players in a position to be successful mind you )

I think it is fair to say he should shoot more but even the best of the best have trouble adapting a style of game overnight.
McDavid has spent an estimated 16 or so years developing into one of the better passers in hockey. It isnt as simple as saying "shoot more" and all of a sudden he is a 50 goal scorer. I wouldnt be surprised if his goal totals fluctuate some over the next 5 or so years but to expect him, in his third season, to suddenly be a shoot first guy like OV or Stamkos is wishful thinking.

It is also important to note that he is 21st in the league in shots this season with 157 . That doesnt mean he couldnt stand to shoot an extra time or two a game but even if he led the league with 215 it would only mean roughly 6 more goals based on his 10.8% shooting percentage.
Those 6 goals, unless they were all extremely timely wouldn't make a big difference in the season win column.

The Oilers have been guilty for years of trying to force a round peg in a square hole to disastrous results at times. McDavid is what he is. He will improve and evolve, most true superstars do, but to expect a huge change in style is setting yourself up for disappointment.

While I am not one to think that McDavid is beyond blame EVER, trying to lay blame at his feet for much this season is pretty embarrassing. The list of people who share in the blame for this debacle of a season is long, but the percentage of that blame that goes to McDavid puts him WAY down that list.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708419 is a reply to message #708417 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 15:08

While I am not one to think that McDavid is beyond blame EVER, trying to lay blame at his feet for much this season is pretty embarrassing. The list of people who share in the blame for this debacle of a season is long, but the percentage of that blame that goes to McDavid puts him WAY down that list.

Yet he will stand up and take a lot of the blame because that is the kind of dude he is. Meanwhile, the architects of this disaster will get off scot free, and will select a few goats to sacrifice and grumble about how they wish people knew as much about winning as they do.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708362 is a reply to message #708350 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

MJ wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 05:57

Got up too early so tuned into TSN 1260 hopeful of hot takes as the media bumbles all over themselves. I am so far not disappointed.

Nielsen compares Montoya refusing to talk to the media yesterday morning to a lawyer refusing to talk to their client on the day of a trial.

And to be fair, Bob McKenzie figures Rishaug shouldn't have even tweeted a thing about it. Rishaug himself had nothing negative to say and was generally apologetic about what blew up on twitter and had no issues with the non-answer last night. Just Nielsen with head-up-bum syndrome at 6am to start his show.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708372 is a reply to message #708350 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 07:57

I love that Montoya did that. Rishaug is a tool.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708384 is a reply to message #708372 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 09:54

MJ wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 07:57

I love that Montoya did that. Rishaug is a tool.

Rishaug used to be a well mannered guy who I thought was building a solid reputation as an unbiased, reasoned Oilers reporter. The guy’s ego has blown up in the past 3 years, especially since his little dispute with Yakupov, which was also unprofessional and embarrassing for him. Gregor’s arrogant nature has really rubbed off on him in a bad way.

His tweet last night was awful and he should be publicly shamed for garbage like that. Dusty’s rant this morning in a kind of solidarity of his TSN co worker was pretty bad too. These guys need to focus on holding everyone from the top down to account rather than a back up goalie on game day, what a joke.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2018 11:08]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708386 is a reply to message #708384 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Seems a lot of the 1260 guys are in full pissbaby mode about it. Time to switch to podcasts instead of radio for the drive for a while.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708387 is a reply to message #708386 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

5 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 11:28

Seems a lot of the 1260 guys are in full pissbaby mode about it. Time to switch to podcasts instead of radio for the drive for a while.

I can't get over how important the media thinks it is. Like, what they are is in their title, "media". They're literally the middle part between the story and the consumer. That's it! I also don't understand how it's so hard to tell the story of Montoya's first start with the Oilers without a quote from Montoya.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708390 is a reply to message #708387 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 10:32

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 11:28

I can't get over how important the media thinks it is. Like, what they are is in their title, "media". They're literally the middle part between the story and the consumer. That's it! I also don't understand how it's so hard to tell the story of Montoya's first start with the Oilers without a quote from Montoya.

I knew there was something empty at the beginning of yesterday's game. I needed to hear that he was going to give 110% and there's no I in team and he ate razor blades for breakfast.

So much of the media is propped up by the Oilers themselves in what is truly propaganda, they've lost the plot. See Rishaug, Stauffer (acceptable as he is the definition of propaganda being an Oilers employee) "leaking" hirings, trades, signings well before they happen.

I did enjoy Lowetide's guest, Steve Lansky of http://bigmouthsports.com/ ripping the media a new one for the whine fest over the past day.

Lowetide remained very much neutral on it all.

I did enjoy the amount of philosophical discussion on media and their role in sports. There's the fear that we'll go to one day only having propaganda in the form of team-only interviews in the form of online video / podcasts /etc and not true hard-hitting journalism we have now. I tremendously chuckled when Lowetide's producer claimed that we need guys like Rishaug for his hard-hitting journalism. The Oilers are treated with kid gloves, but at least Lowetide and his producer were able to cite a couple guys hitting the Eskimos with hard questions after Hervey was fired. Note, they had no examples with regards to the Oilers, because of course they don't!

The only crutch that they have to fall back on is the CBA mandates media availability from players on game day. Carey Price gets away with it on a consistent basis to my understanding, but let's all have a temper tantrum when the backup goaltender chooses to do the same.

I had more than enough sports radio today, but amusing way to kill nearly my whole shift working through the morning!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2018 11:52]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708380 is a reply to message #708350 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 06:57

I would have gone with the analogy of a cop pulling you over, and then when he comes to your window, you pretend he doesn't exist and drive off.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708421 is a reply to message #708310 ]
Fri, 02 February 2018 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilCanSam  is currently offline OilCanSam

No Cups

Goilers!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708439 is a reply to message #708310 ]
Sat, 03 February 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

We don't play again until Monday!?!? What the...???

This schedule is terrible. Does it seem to anyone else that the NHL maybe thought the IOC would cave and they'd be in the Olympics right away? That's the only reason I can think for this brutal schedule.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708442 is a reply to message #708439 ]
Sat, 03 February 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Skillz competition. gotta make time for that!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50) [message #708445 is a reply to message #708442 ]
Sat, 03 February 2018 20:11 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 03 February 2018 14:50

Skillz competition. gotta make time for that!

Turning “we can’t beat anyone but ourselves” from a liability to an asset.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:GDT: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #51)
Next Topic:Yamamoto to Juniors
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca