This day on March 23
Acquired: Jason Smith (1999) Vladimir Vorobiev (1999)
Departed: Kevin Brown (1999)

Happy Birthday To: derrick, wwoperator, LushJohnV, oilfaningp, OPEL12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Nurse's Next ContractPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Nurse's Next Contract [message #707359]
Thu, 18 January 2018 13:52 Go to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Wondering what your thoughts are on what Nurse's extension will look like this summer? He's had a good year and has chipped in a bit more offensively as of late. I guess a lot depend on what he does over the rest of the season. Personally, I would probably be in favour of a bridge deal and make him prove he can keep developing his game before paying him big money.

It seems to me that all too often the Oilers overpay a guy based off of one good season and hope/expect them to progress in a linear fashion year over year. The most recent example being Draisaitl who based off of this season doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 10 player in the league, especially considering the majority of the years bought were RFA years and had comparable lower than what he was signed for.

If the Oilers do decide to go the long term route I'm hoping it's similar to the deal Klefbom signed maybe in the neighborhood of $4-4.5M/yr over 6 or 7 yrs.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707362 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 13:52

Wondering what your thoughts are on what Nurse's extension will look like this summer? He's had a good year and has chipped in a bit more offensively as of late. I guess a lot depend on what he does over the rest of the season. Personally, I would probably be in favour of a bridge deal and make him prove he can keep developing his game before paying him big money.

It seems to me that all too often the Oilers overpay a guy based off of one good season and hope/expect them to progress in a linear fashion year over year. The most recent example being Draisaitl who based off of this season doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 10 player in the league, especially considering the majority of the years bought were RFA years and had comparable lower than what he was signed for.

If the Oilers do decide to go the long term route I'm hoping it's similar to the deal Klefbom signed maybe in the neighborhood of $4-4.5M/yr over 6 or 7 yrs.

I'd hope long term would be around the $4M price point. I do think we might be able to gamble a bit with Nurse. Without a doubt he's taken a huge step this year, but I am still not sure we have to worry about him putting up big offensive numbers. You may be able to bridge him for 2-3 years around 3M instead and it would help us get through the first years of McDavid's deal as the cap rises.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707363 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

4.2 x 8

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707365 is a reply to message #707363 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have to think that Nurse will come in close to Klefbom's 4.2. Maybe slightly more. Career wise they are very similar. Up and down. Last year Nurse had flashes but was a bottom pairing guy, he's taken a massive step this year.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707368 is a reply to message #707365 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Bridge him at 3.5m x 1y. If he shows he can repeat his performance give him 5m x 8y next offseason

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707370 is a reply to message #707368 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

I'd be happy with either a bridge of something like $3.0 - $3.5 per for two years or 8 years @ $4.0 - $5.0.

The worry with the bridge, as with all bridge deals, is that he continues his high trajectory from this season and then your next contract is starting with a 6.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707366 is a reply to message #707363 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 15:05

4.2 x 8

8 for sure. This kid is awesome.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707417 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Fri, 19 January 2018 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

Bridge him until Sekera comes off the books, maybe something like 3.5 x 3. If all goes well and he's due for another big raise you can use some of the Sekera money for his 3rd contract.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707422 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Fri, 19 January 2018 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Initially I would have said to bridge him, but he's showing a lot this season. I wonder if the Klefbom route of gambling long-term at a discounted rate would be good. If they could get him for 8 years at $4M, that is tempting.

Larsson, Klefbom, and Nurse long-term at 4 each wouldn't be the worst scenario.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707428 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Fri, 19 January 2018 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

If I were him I wouldn’t lock in for 8 years at 4 million.

I think he’s going to have very high value in a couple years. I’m certain his agent believes so as well. Locked in for 8 years at that price tag may really bother him in a few years. I doubt his camp takes that offer.

#firebob

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707435 is a reply to message #707428 ]
Fri, 19 January 2018 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 19 January 2018 18:05

If I were him I wouldn’t lock in for 8 years at 4 million.

I think he’s going to have very high value in a couple years. I’m certain his agent believes so as well. Locked in for 8 years at that price tag may really bother him in a few years. I doubt his camp takes that offer.

Yeah, that isn't going to be an easy contract negotiation unless the Oilers roll over. I don't think there's a chance he's signing a long-term deal for mid-range money. Mid-range gets you a bridge - which might be for the best. Nurse is a good skater, and has a nice edge to his game, but he's not an elite passer and his shot is nothing to write home about. This could be a high-water mark for offence for him this year. I'm okay with re-evaluating in a couple years, because I don't want to see the team pay what they'd need to for a long term deal - probably $5.5 or 6.0MM per.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707442 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Wondering what your thoughts are on what Nurse's extension will look like this summer?

Since we have something like 86,000 LHD in the organization why don't we consider selling high for once and getting something the team really needs like a RHD pp qb. I know it's not like the Oilers to maximize assets and all, but I'm daring to think differently.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707445 is a reply to message #707442 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

DUFFMAN wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 06:28

Wondering what your thoughts are on what Nurse's extension will look like this summer?

Since we have something like 86,000 LHD in the organization why don't we consider selling high for once and getting something the team really needs like a RHD pp qb. I know it's not like the Oilers to maximize assets and all, but I'm daring to think differently.

What I can see happening is what we've seen over and over again in this org. Nurse shows signs that he's "ready" and the Oilers are ok with trading out yesterday's "guy", in this case Klefbom. Much like how Petry could go because they had Schultz. Schultz could go because they had Kelf, etc. Moving Kelfbom would also open up a top 4 D spot to find another righty. But lets face it, the Oilers aren't going to actually fill a need. They will panic and bend over to Nurse's ask and give him 8x8 or something like that. They will trade off Kelfbom for a pick or a warm body (for cap reasons) and the narrative will be that Jones and/or Bear will be given every chance to fill the spot. Same old, same old.

After all to quote a wise man, "you can only have so many D making 4M".

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707446 is a reply to message #707445 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

....yep, better get rid of Nurse ASAP...I'm sure his housemate Connor McDavid would understand that it would be another move executed by Oiler management in the interests of continuing the Oiler Tradition of Excellence in this era.....mighty as well send guys like Benson, Bear, Skinner and Puljujarvi on their way, too....can't have them hold back the Oilers future success....

...Jeff Petry and Justin Schultz say "hi"....

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707447 is a reply to message #707446 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 12:37

....yep, better get rid of Nurse ASAP...I'm sure his housemate Connor McDavid would understand that it would be another move executed by Oiler management in the interests of continuing the Oiler Tradition of Excellence in this era.....mighty as well send guys like Benson, Bear, Skinner and Puljujarvi on their way, too....can't have them hold back the Oilers future success....

...Jeff Petry and Justin Schultz say "hi"....

Can't say you guys are wrong, we love to fall in love with the shiny new toy.

Freakin dumb thing to do though. Babcock got his team in the playoffs with zero right handed dmen. The red wings just played their best guys, and they did well enough. They didn't play a Gryba just because he's right handed. They played their system, adapted it as needed and got the job done with the best guys they had.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707474 is a reply to message #707447 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think Klefbom will be the odd man out this summer. There’s no way Nurse is getting less than 4M and I think it’s likely he will be the highest paid D on the team next year. Russel and Sek have nmc, Larson is the only RHD of note, and Nurse is the current golden boy. Klefbom is as good as gone. I’m not totally against the idea tbh, but we all know the return will be underwhelming which is where the problem lies.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707477 is a reply to message #707474 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

2 Cups

jds308 wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 17:53

I think Klefbom will be the odd man out this summer. There’s no way Nurse is getting less than 4M and I think it’s likely he will be the highest paid D on the team next year. Russel and Sek have nmc, Larson is the only RHD of note, and Nurse is the current golden boy. Klefbom is as good as gone. I’m not totally against the idea tbh, but we all know the return will be underwhelming which is where the problem lies.

I can picture a Draisaitl/Nuge and Klefbom package...

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707478 is a reply to message #707477 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 16:09

jds308 wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 17:53

I can picture a Draisaitl/Nuge and Klefbom package...

If you could trade Nuge + Kelfbom and get back a speedy/scoring/shooting top 6 winger + a right shot, offensive minded top 4 D for the PP then there are worse outcomes. This of course won't happen, let's not kid ourselves.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707520 is a reply to message #707474 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

jds308 wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 15:53

Russel and Sek have nmc

The sad part is, if Russell keeps up his current pace, he'll be close to his career high in points. They likely could have tricked someone into taking him in the summer. But no, Chiarelli decided that giving a NMC to a bottom pairing defenceman, while still paying him top dollar was a good move.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 232 GF / 268 GA (-36)

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707534 is a reply to message #707520 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 21:54

jds308 wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 15:53

Russel and Sek have nmc

The sad part is, if Russell keeps up his current pace, he'll be close to his career high in points. They likely could have tricked someone into taking him in the summer. But no, Chiarelli decided that giving a NMC to a bottom pairing defenceman, while still paying him top dollar was a good move.

I know it's quite fashionable around here to dump on Russell, but I don't mind him. He's not the reason the team has been unable to score this year, or why their PP sucks. In fact most teams should or would love to have a guy like him. He's probably best suited in a 4-5 role, with lots of PK time. The problem of course is the contract. Not going to harp on it, but there' absolutely no reason to have signed him for that amount, or that term AND a nmc! Just inept negotiating on the part of the Oilers. What's the worse thing that would have happened had Chia said no? Maybe you sign him for 3.5x3 instead? That would have been about perfect in my mind.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #707996 is a reply to message #707534 ]
Fri, 26 January 2018 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Sun, 21 January 2018 09:19

I know it's quite fashionable around here to dump on Russell, but I don't mind him.

Russell is a competent third-pairing d-man with slight offensive flair and slight special teams ability. As long as they're not playing him on the right side of the top pair we're ok. icon_rolleyes

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #708005 is a reply to message #707996 ]
Sat, 27 January 2018 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Fri, 26 January 2018 14:54

I know it's quite fashionable around here to dump on Russell, but I don't mind him.

Russell is a competent third-pairing d-man with slight offensive flair and slight special teams ability. As long as they're not playing him on the right side of the top pair we're ok. icon_rolleyes

The biggest problem with Oilers defence isn’t the defencemen, it’s the lack of top level guys forcing guys to play above their level. It’s like asking grade 4 kids play soccer against grade 6 kids. The 4s are fine, just out of their depth. I’ve never understood the hate for a player who has to take on more than he should.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #708016 is a reply to message #708005 ]
Sat, 27 January 2018 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Sat, 27 January 2018 13:17

DUFFMAN wrote on Fri, 26 January 2018 14:54

The biggest problem with Oilers defence isn’t the defencemen, it’s the lack of top level guys forcing guys to play above their level. It’s like asking grade 4 kids play soccer against grade 6 kids. The 4s are fine, just out of their depth. I’ve never understood the hate for a player who has to take on more than he should.

It's called the "Horcoff effect". Take a decent, serviceable, NHL quality player and play them above their capabilities because you didn't bother to find a better option. Then, because they've assumed that role, pay them as though they're the best and only option. Then, when they don't live up to their contract and produce in ways equal to comparable players in similar roles wait for the fans to turn on them and eventually run them out of town. This way, the player takes on the bad optics for not fulfilling his contract that he shouldn't have been given in the first place. How many times have we seen this play out in the last 10-15 years? I've lost count.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #717988 is a reply to message #708016 ]
Mon, 27 August 2018 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/long-term-or-bridge-deal-nurse- has-no-preference~1472080

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718298 is a reply to message #717988 ]
Fri, 07 September 2018 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2018/09/07/darren-dreger-id-be-surp rised-if-darnell-nurse-gets-more-than-3-million/

Oilers finally playing a little hardball. Good point in this article about the Oilers having a number in mind with Nurse that they don't want to exceed yet didn;t care about paying above market value for Koskinen among others.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718302 is a reply to message #718298 ]
Fri, 07 September 2018 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 07 September 2018 13:40

https://oilersnation.com/2018/09/07/darren-dreger-id-be-surp rised-if-darnell-nurse-gets-more-than-3-million/

Oilers finally playing a little hardball. Good point in this article about the Oilers having a number in mind with Nurse that they don't want to exceed yet didn;t care about paying above market value for Koskinen among others.

Actually i think it's the salary cap playing hardball.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718451 is a reply to message #718302 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 07 September 2018 19:22

...very true....sounds like the Oiler management is treating Darnell Nurse the same way they did Justin Schultz a few years ago...hope they don't end up with a handful of magic beans again as we watch Nurse thrive in a different environment......

I think Nurse's agent Anton Thun is a pretty savvy negotiator...he has lined up a pretty diverse roster of player clients over the last few years....and it looks like he has a long history of negotiating with the Oilers....

http://www.mfivesports.com/players_flash.php

...now by no means do I consider Nurse a top pairing NHL defenseman today, but I don't think he has reached his ceiling, either...he has proven himself less brittle than Klefbom over the years, but maybe less versatile. Is that his fault or the Oilers and the way they have developed Nurse have something to do with that?....seems to me Nurse has never really been paired with a strong, experienced partner- he spends a lot of ice time paired with guys with lesser experience but usually expected to be the second pairing.....

It's not Nurse's fault Chiarelli is such a weak negotiator and has given away so many inflated, poor value contracts that the Oilers are in salary cap peril going into the season....

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718456 is a reply to message #718451 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 11:46

...very true....sounds like the Oiler management is treating Darnell Nurse the same way they did Justin Schultz a few years ago...hope they don't end up with a handful of magic beans again as we watch Nurse thrive in a different environment......

I think Nurse's agent Anton Thun is a pretty savvy negotiator...he has lined up a pretty diverse roster of player clients over the last few years....and it looks like he has a long history of negotiating with the Oilers....

...now by no means do I consider Nurse a top pairing NHL defenseman today, but I don't think he has reached his ceiling, either...he has proven himself less brittle than Klefbom over the years, but maybe less versatile. Is that his fault or the Oilers and the way they have developed Nurse have something to do with that?....seems to me Nurse has never really been paired with a strong, experienced partner- he spends a lot of ice time paired with guys with lesser experience but usually expected to be the second pairing.....

It's not Nurse's fault Chiarelli is such a weak negotiator and has given away so many inflated, poor value contracts that the Oilers are in salary cap peril going into the season....

I have heard several hockey people on the various shows say that Nurses agent has a rep of being at times hard to deal with.

I like Nurse a lot but he has 47 pts in 197 NHL games. That's not very good. Teams pay for offense, not defense. Now he jumped from 11 pts to 26 pts this past season. A good jump but as much as I like Nurse, I don't see another big jump. Could he get over 30, probably but I don't see him as much more than a 30 guy. Today, he is not worth more than 3 mill on a short term deal. On a long term, he's not worth more than what Hanifin got. Hanifin in only 42 more games has almost double the points of Nurse. If Nurse thinks he's worth more than what I said, I think he is out to lunch because nothing in what he has done to date suggests that.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718457 is a reply to message #718451 ]
Wed, 12 September 2018 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Didn't we just give Jultz whatever he wanted when his QO was around 1M? And say he is going to be a Norris candidate soon.

Jultz's downfall was that he had to play higher in the lineup than he was capable. He lost all his confidence because our PP coaching was so terrible there was no escape from the constant struggle. Then to make it even better, the head coach singled him out to the media as a bum that needed to get the heck out of town. Looking deflated in your own end is one of the greatest McLellan sins. It's OK if you can't make a pass and bury your team in your own end all night long, as long as you are visually trying really hard and scrambling and falling in front of pucks.

I don't see Nurse following that same path in this org as Schultz. I think he'll be OK here. I don't think he is the type to get down in the dumps like Schultz did, and I don't see McLellan ever turning on him, he plays a gritty game, which gives a pass in all other aspects with that kind of coach.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718492 is a reply to message #718457 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 September 2018 14:27

Didn't we just give Jultz whatever he wanted when his QO was around 1M? And say he is going to be a Norris candidate soon.

Jultz's downfall was that he had to play higher in the lineup than he was capable. He lost all his confidence because our PP coaching was so terrible there was no escape from the constant struggle. Then to make it even better, the head coach singled him out to the media as a bum that needed to get the heck out of town. Looking deflated in your own end is one of the greatest McLellan sins. It's OK if you can't make a pass and bury your team in your own end all night long, as long as you are visually trying really hard and scrambling and falling in front of pucks.

I don't see Nurse following that same path in this org as Schultz. I think he'll be OK here. I don't think he is the type to get down in the dumps like Schultz did, and I don't see McLellan ever turning on him, he plays a gritty game, which gives a pass in all other aspects with that kind of coach.

I think Nurse will be just fine here. Unlike Schultz, he's actually got the mental game to be a leader and succeed in the NHL without needing your coach and team to coddle you like a 3 yr old.

I will be interested to see what Schultz is this season. He was the big name dman coming out of college. Gets the max he can get out of college with a ton of promises for playing time and role form the Oilers. He was a 30 pt, defensively inept dman in Edmonton. Goes to the Pens to get some hug therapy and have everyone tell him he's good. He knows he needs a new contract so he explodes for 51 pts, gets a big, fat 5.5 mill contract. Then as soon as he signed the deal, has 27 pts in 63 games last year. Prorated out over 82 games, that is a 35 pt season. Right in the range he was with the Oilers.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718495 is a reply to message #718492 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It will be interesting to see who flinches first, Nurse or the team. It's one thing when the rookies are skating around, playing games that realistically no one cares a lot about. It's another thing when the real players start physicals then hit the ice. As soon as the real players hit the ice for practice, the pressure ramps up. With a new coaching staff and more specifically Yawney who I think will have a big impact on the PK and the defense, I don't think it does Nurse any good to miss much time if any.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718497 is a reply to message #718495 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 09:45

It will be interesting to see who flinches first, Nurse or the team. It's one thing when the rookies are skating around, playing games that realistically no one cares a lot about. It's another thing when the real players start physicals then hit the ice. As soon as the real players hit the ice for practice, the pressure ramps up. With a new coaching staff and more specifically Yawney who I think will have a big impact on the PK and the defense, I don't think it does Nurse any good to miss much time if any.

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
No talks on the schedule between Darnell Nurse camp and Oilers today. On a two-year bridge deal, gap remains at an estimated $200-300 K per season. Almost 100% certain camp opens without Nurse in attendance.

If we believe Spector, 2 year deal is pretty solid, which is good. Have to imagine 200-300k is not that impossible of a gap to bridge.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718499 is a reply to message #718497 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 09:57

No talks on the schedule between Darnell Nurse camp and Oilers today. On a two-year bridge deal, gap remains at an estimated $200-300 K per season. Almost 100% certain camp opens without Nurse in attendance.

If we believe Spector, 2 year deal is pretty solid, which is good. Have to imagine 200-300k is not that impossible of a gap to bridge.

Is this not just getting into a pissing contest between the player and the team? Can you not just split it down the middle? Like seriously.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718520 is a reply to message #718497 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kevin "I'm no longer in hockey ops" Lowe and Ryan Smyth's agent say hello!

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718530 is a reply to message #718520 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:01

Kevin "I'm no longer in hockey ops" Lowe and Ryan Smyth's agent say hello!

lol, yes, I instantly thought of that when I saw the 200-300k gap :) Wasn't it like 100-200 for Smyth?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718553 is a reply to message #718530 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

According tor Gregor, the gap is 500K. Unless the Oilers are really low balling Nurse at like 2.5, if the Oilers are offering around 3 mill which mouth piece Stauffer has said dozens of times and Nurse is 500k apart, that means he is pushing for 3.5, 3.6 which is ridiculous.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718555 is a reply to message #718553 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

So he's left town and is officially holding out now.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /darnell-nurse-heads-out-of-town-opening-up-opportunity-for- evan-bouchard-jakub-jerebek-and-caleb-jones

I thought it would get done last minute, but now I am wondering how long. Funny how Nurse seems to be like the second guy, after Smyth, that the Oilers didn't just give him everything he wanted in contract negotiations since Slats was GM.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718570 is a reply to message #707359 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Three years ago, the Oilers gave Oscar Klefbom a 7-year, $4M average deal. His totals at the time were 77 games played, 23 points. It has worked out pretty well, but it was a gamble with a player more unproven than Nurse.

Nurse has watched the Oilers hand 4x4 to Russell last year, who is below him on the depth chart. This summer he watched them lock up Matt Benning, Drake Caggiula, Kyle Brodziak, Jakob Jarabek, and Kevin Gravel, all guys less important and in several cases, paid more than they should be.

Oh yeah, and Koskinen got 2.5 with 4 NHL games experience.

Meanwhile Nurse led the Oilers defense in points and was second in average ice time. He was first of all roster players in overall icetime.

I get it from Nurse's standpoint. They've made bets on & paid a lot of others, many of whom are less important to club, many of who have actually proven far less. They didn't dig in on Russell, Caggiula, Kassian, or Benning, but suddenly decide he is where they will make their last stand. He was their best defenseman last year, but they won't pay him accordingly. I actually don't think $4M is an unreasonable ask. He has comparables he can point to that this same GM signed.

I guess for me, and likely for the Nurse camp, there was money there this summer. But the Oilers prioritized and took gambles on lesser depth players and here we are now. I understand why them digging in now doesn't sit very well.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718574 is a reply to message #718570 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 23:32

Three years ago, the Oilers gave Oscar Klefbom a 7-year, $4M average deal. His totals at the time were 77 games played, 23 points. It has worked out pretty well, but it was a gamble with a player more unproven than Nurse.

Nurse has watched the Oilers hand 4x4 to Russell last year, who is below him on the depth chart. This summer he watched them lock up Matt Benning, Drake Caggiula, Kyle Brodziak, Jakob Jarabek, and Kevin Gravel, all guys less important and in several cases, paid more than they should be.

Oh yeah, and Koskinen got 2.5 with 4 NHL games experience.

Meanwhile Nurse led the Oilers defense in points and was second in average ice time. He was first of all roster players in overall icetime.

I get it from Nurse's standpoint. They've made bets on & paid a lot of others, many of whom are less important to club, many of who have actually proven far less. They didn't dig in on Russell, Caggiula, Kassian, or Benning, but suddenly decide he is where they will make their last stand. He was their best defenseman last year, but they won't pay him accordingly. I actually don't think $4M is an unreasonable ask. He has comparables he can point to that this same GM signed.

I guess for me, and likely for the Nurse camp, there was money there this summer. But the Oilers prioritized and took gambles on lesser depth players and here we are now. I understand why them digging in now doesn't sit very well.

I am not going to talk much about Russell. I don't think UFA's can be used in discussing a contract like Nurse. I am not a fan of the Russell contract but he got what everyone else as getting that year and UFA's ALWAYS ALWAYS get more money and term than they should. Go look at every UFA that got signed this year on every team and you are going to be hard pressed to find one that anyone will say was a great deal. Kovalchuk is 35, hasn't played a single game in the NHL since 2012 and got 6.25 mill on a 3 yr deal. That's insane. Enough about Russell.

When you talk about the 4 guys you listed, Benning, Caggulia, Brodziak, Jarabek, Gravel. Combined, that is 6.25 mill for 5 guys. So an average of 1.25 mill per guy. Benning is a #5, puck moving, right shooting dman that has some offense ability and has the potential to maybe be a #4. He's making 1.9 mill. That isn't expensive at all. Brodziak is a good, right handed, PK, good in the room, decent faceoff winning, vet 4th line center that can chip in some offense and is a glue guy. 1.15 mill is not expensive. The Canucks paid 3 mill for Beagle. Calgary paid 3.125 for Ryan who was Carolina's 4th line center. Jarabek from every hockey guy I have heard from Montreal, Washington and all the stats guys say he is a solid, puck moving, can play some PP time, left shot dman who can easily be a 3rd pairing guy in the NHL. He's making 1 mill. He was making 925 last year. That's not expensive. If someone wants to debate Gravel being here, fine. He's a 6-7 dman on a lot of teams and he's making barely above league minimum. You need a #7 dman on the roster. The alternative would have been to have a young guy rotting in the press box. I don't think it was a bad signing. The only one is Caggulia. Did they give him an extra 100-200K more than I would have liked? Probably but he had 13 goals last year and if he can get 15 or more which I don't think is a stretch, 1.5 mill is not that bad.

Koskinen, I think they overpaid. Sounds like there was a bidding war for him that drove the price up. But the Oilers need someone to push Talbot. If Talbot doesn't have a good year, it wouldn't have matter who the Oilers had on their roster. You can't win without good goaltending. When I say they need a push for Talbot, I don't mean a good back up who is capable of giving you decent games where you might have a chance to win when Talbot needs a night off, I mean a legit push from a guy looking to take his job. They need a guy who can go on a run if Talbot falters. They need a guy who Talbot legit feels pressure from, not a guy who's his buddy but who deep down he knows can't take his job. There were lots of back ups who signed for less than Koskinen who some people gripped about who I am sorry, are back ups. That is ALL they will ever be. The only guys I thought who were available that could push legit push Talbot for time was Bernier who signed for 3 mill per for 3 yrs, Halak who was 2.75 mill per for 2 years for and maybe Lehner who signed for 1.5 mill but Lehner is supposed to be a freaking headcase. So while I am worried about the gamble with Koskinen, they needed to do something with the goaltending but signing Mrazek or insert who ever career back up wasn't the answer in my estimation.

From what I have heard from reports, Nurse and his agent in various reports. Unless the Oilers overpaid him, he wasn't signing long term because he himself doesn't know what he is. He himself feels he hasn't shown what he thinks he will be as a dman. So if the Oilers offered him 5 mill on a long term. No way he takes that because he thinks he's worth more. I personally don't think that but I don't know. I am a big time Nurse fan but even if the Oilers had cap space and they signed him long term for over 5 mill which is what I think it would take, I would not be happy because based on his body of work, he's not a 5 + mill dman right now.

Re: Nurse's Next Contract [message #718576 is a reply to message #718574 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 11:50

I would not be happy because based on his body of work, he's not a 5 + mill dman right now.

He's certainly closer to being a $5M Dman than Russell is to being a $4M Dman or especially Koskinen being a $2.5M goalie.

People saying those little overpays didn't matter - THIS is exactly the kind of thing a lot of us were pointing to as a possible repercussion of our idiot GM spending like a drunken sailor on garbage. The extra little bit here and there adds up.

As for me - if we could lock up Nurse to a long term $5M per deal, I would do that in a heartbeat. He's not worth that yet, but I think he will be as soon as this year, and add in the prospect of the cap continually going up, and in 3-4 years, I would bet that a $5M Nurse would be a steal.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Waiver Wire 2018/2019
Next Topic:Replacement options for Sekera.
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca