This day on July 23
Departed: Luke Richardson (1997) Joe Hulbig (1999) Chris Hajt (2002) Marc Pouliot (2010)

Happy Birthday To: SunshinesDad, Tydogg, doiler, ranford_mvp

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706885]
Tue, 09 January 2018 20:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: AndersonRules and idekoning for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win: 12%
Nashville to win: 88%
41 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706893 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

Thank the NHL for quickly stealing away any sense of hope for this game before we might have formed any sense of optimism.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706894 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

What a waste of a generational talent.

He will likely need to win the big trophy elsewhere.

It’s sad, but this sad sack management group doesn’t deserve it anyway. At this point I would get more joy in them burning into ashes without any success than I would with the joy of seeing a cup. Why? Because of who would be a part of it.

I’m friggin ruined...

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706896 is a reply to message #706894 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 21:41

What a waste of a generational talent.

He will likely need to win the big trophy elsewhere.

I am not a part-time, bandwagon fan.
I have cheered for the Oilers for 37 years. The NFL Bengals for 33 (that alone should show my loyalty but I digress)

I lasted through almost 20 years with only one bright spot of a cup run.

I dont NEED cup wins but if this team doesn't manage to be a cup contender or at the very least competitive into the spring, wasting the gift that is McDavid, I will jump ship to whatever team he goes to.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706895 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Season is over, still can't give Pulju 1st PP time, or 6v5 time?

This team is stupid.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706900 is a reply to message #706895 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 19:52

Season is over, still can't give Pulju 1st PP time, or 6v5 time?

This team is stupid.

Watching Letestu on the PP makes want to hurl. puke

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706927 is a reply to message #706895 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matrium  is currently offline Matrium

No Cups

I agree completely the kid likes to shoot, get him him out there on PP and as the extra Man.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706980 is a reply to message #706927 ]
Thu, 11 January 2018 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

That requires some element of intelligence though. Don't ask too much of this organization... please.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706897 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Didn't watch the game.

Saw the 'offside' call. Saw the uncalled penalties on McDavid.

If you can't see it with the naked eye, I -guarantee- it had no impact on the play.

Just like the good ol' days of 'toe in the crease? NO GOAL.'

What a joke of a league the NHL is.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706904 is a reply to message #706897 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 20:08

Didn't watch the game.

Saw the 'offside' call. Saw the uncalled penalties on McDavid.

If you can't see it with the naked eye, I -guarantee- it had no impact on the play.

Just like the good ol' days of 'toe in the crease? NO GOAL.'

What a joke of a league the NHL is.

Like I've said before, the offside review should be done with overhead cameras only. if the guy doesn't clearly go offside, there is no gained advantage, which is the entire purpose of the rule.

If that's the way the NHL wants to go, then we should be able to review every NON-penalty call, including hooks, trips, slew foots, slashes.. They take a goal away for a non factor infraction, yet won't let teams have a review on a real goal chance, like a slash or hook on a McD break away. Oilers could challenge one a game against McD and win it.

How about that clear non call on Maroon getting the chop to the balls right in front of 4 officials. everyone saw it, one of the worst douche bag moves you can do to a guy, no call.

Oiler rule in effect.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706905 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

In case anyone wants to know who the horrible refs were:

Francois St-Laurent - Was one of the refs that didn't call goalie interference on Ryan Kessler in game 5 of the Anaheim series last year

Francis Charron - At one point the Oilers had lost 16 consecutive games with Charron as referee until the game vs Florida last spring.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706907 is a reply to message #706905 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 20:30

Francois St-Laurent - Was one of the refs that didn't call goalie interference on Ryan Kessler in game 5 of the Anaheim series last year

Francis Charron - At one point the Oilers had lost 16 consecutive games with Charron as referee until the game vs Florida last spring.

There you go. Their calls are not coincidence.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706913 is a reply to message #706905 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 21:30

So haven't seen any video of post-game McLellan...I imagine that it's more of the same and he's not lighting up the officiating for obvious blown calls and a preference not to call infractions on the best and most exciting player in the game, in a completely bush league manner...

Nothing changes until we ask for it. You can't sit on your hands and hope that some day refs actually call infractions. It has to be demanded, and that might have to come in a manner that gets you fined.

McLellan is a failure of a coach, and the unwillingness to stick up for his team against terrible officiating is part of that.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706914 is a reply to message #706913 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 01:24

So haven't seen any video of post-game McLellan...I imagine that it's more of the same and he's not lighting up the officiating for obvious blown calls and a preference not to call infractions on the best and most exciting player in the game, in a completely bush league manner...

Nothing changes until we ask for it. You can't sit on your hands and hope that some day refs actually call infractions. It has to be demanded, and that might have to come in a manner that gets you fined.

McLellan is a failure of a coach, and the unwillingness to stick up for his team against terrible officiating is part of that.

Agree. The bias is becoming comical. Do you think Carlyle, or Quenneville, Hitchcock, Tortorela, Boudreau, Julien, Babcock would put up with this garbage? Its going to cost people their jobs, their livelihoods, you call that s**t out, you need to.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706915 is a reply to message #706914 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 05:33

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 01:24

Agree. The bias is becoming comical. Do you think Carlyle, or Quenneville, Hitchcock, Tortorela, Boudreau, Julien, Babcock would put up with this garbage? Its going to cost people their jobs, their livelihoods, you call that s**t out, you need to.

Yeah, Chia or Tmac need to go on a tirade. Or maybe call a press conference and show video and ask why this play and that are a penalty against the Oilers, and why this, this, this, this, this, this and this are allowed against not just McDavid specifically, but the Oilers as a whole. Other teams have done it in the past.

You guys remember the Ducks series last year when the ref FINALLY called one against the Ducks and the ref was practically begging for Getzlaf's forgiveness for have called a penalty?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706909 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Mark Spector tweeted this after the game tonight:

Quote:

@SportsnetSpec: Oilers are basically done for playoffs. If they continue to allow cheap shots on McDavid, they’re more done than I thought.

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/950913588184543232

Is there no self-awareness with anyone associated with this team? After missing the playoffs for 10 out of 11 seasons, is it still possible that they don't get it?

Does it even enter his mind that maybe, just maybe all those years it wasn't Hall, Eberle, Yak and being "too soft" that were the problem.

Like maybe running out a defence that included Andrew Ference, Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne and 31 games of Keith Freaking Aulie was a bad idea.

And maybe filling out your forward group with Matt Fraser, Rob Klinkhammer, Boyd Gordon (great at faceoffs though), Jesse Joensuu, Steve Pinnizzotto, Ryan Hamilton, Liro Pakarinen and 40 games of Luke Freaking Gazdic, all while burning an ELC year for Draisaitl, wasn't quite good enough.

But sure, the Oilers add Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Larsson, and Nurse and somehow the problem is still that they still aren't tough enough?

Get good players, keep good players. It really is that simple.

Oilers actually did a pretty good job (through their own incompetence) of step 1. They've struggled mightily with step 2.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706925 is a reply to message #706909 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I get the feeling that the way this season has gone, the hockey gods are deciding to make things go against the Oilers this year. Last season everything for the Oilers went right. Basically zero injuries to anyone important as all their stars played the whole year. If the Oilers needed a break, they got it, if they needed a bounce, they got it. Then it started to turn in the playoffs especially in the second round. The Oilers got ZERO calls, the Ducks were allowed to do whatever he wanted. There are at least 2 goalie interference calls that didn't get called that resulted in goals for the Ducks. Getzlaf takes out Sekera's knee. Then you move into this season. The goaltending is shaky from the start and has continued, they have injuries all over the place. A huge chunk of the team is underachieving. Then you get goals against like the second. Puck hits Larsson's face, he's down maybe looking to see if there is teeth on the ice, puck goes right to the Pred, he fires it in. Tying goal gets called on a BS offside. Just the way things have gone this year.

For the offside call itself. What a BS rule. Kharia's skate is actually BEHIND the blueline but was technically a millimeter off the ice. So they call it. Who cares if it's behind the blueline and you can clearly see it. This rule has gotten out of hand. The intent of the rule was to guard against the blatantly missed call on the rare occasion it happens. It wasn't intended to get the millimeter offside calls where if you zoom in, close an eye and turn your head, maybe you can see it. I would like to see the rule either eliminated all together or the teams can only review it in real time from the view that the linesman sees it. I say that because that is the view that the game is called from. The game is called at full speed with a linesman on the sides looking across the blueline. He has to see through sticks and legs. The game is not called zoomed in 10 times going frame by frame. If it takes you zooming in and slowing down the game that much to be able to tell, then obviously it didn't have an impact on the game.

I saw this on TSN so I added the article after I wrote this post. Has a nice picture of Kharia's skate as it is hovering above the ice.
https://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-nhl-should-lose-offside-challenge s-1.964019

No question, the skate looks to be just off the ice. My problem. The skate above the ice is literally at least a FOOT behind the blueline, it might even be 2 feet behind. IN fact his entire leg is behind the blueline. It it shouldn't matter that the skate is off the ice. If you put his foot down, it's almost 2 feet ONSIDE. I can sort of see the reasoning behind the rule. If the players foot is off the ice and it is right tight against the blue line, it could be hard to tell if he's onside or not. But when the foot is FEET behind the blueline and you can actually see that it is way behind the blueline with the naked eye, how can you call that offside?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 09:48]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706977 is a reply to message #706909 ]
Thu, 11 January 2018 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 00:31

Mark Spector tweeted this after the game tonight:

Quote:

@SportsnetSpec: Oilers are basically done for playoffs. If they continue to allow cheap shots on McDavid, they’re more done than I thought.

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/950913588184543232

Is there no self-awareness with anyone associated with this team? After missing the playoffs for 10 out of 11 seasons, is it still possible that they don't get it?

Does it even enter his mind that maybe, just maybe all those years it wasn't Hall, Eberle, Yak and being "too soft" that were the problem.

Like maybe running out a defence that included Andrew Ference, Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne and 31 games of Keith Freaking Aulie was a bad idea.

And maybe filling out your forward group with Matt Fraser, Rob Klinkhammer, Boyd Gordon (great at faceoffs though), Jesse Joensuu, Steve Pinnizzotto, Ryan Hamilton, Liro Pakarinen and 40 games of Luke Freaking Gazdic, all while burning an ELC year for Draisaitl, wasn't quite good enough.

But sure, the Oilers add Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Larsson, and Nurse and somehow the problem is still that they still aren't tough enough?

Get good players, keep good players. It really is that simple.

Oilers actually did a pretty good job (through their own incompetence) of step 1. They've struggled mightily with step 2.

In addition to that, stop chasing the hyped up names for management and coaching. We let go 2 coaches that the players loved playing for, one of which for sure was very technically smart (Krueger) for hyped up names. Eakins, clown created by Toronto media. McLellan never actually did that much that was impressive in his last job, just burned bridges in a dressing room and wasted the prime years of a team full of all-stars. Chia won a cup, but made all kinds of questionable decisions in his GM career. Even gave up picks for both of those guys.

How about putting a little effort to find the right fits, not just fixating on the hyped up names.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 January 2018 00:21]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706982 is a reply to message #706977 ]
Thu, 11 January 2018 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 23:18

Chia won a cup, but made all kinds of questionable decisions in his GM career. Even gave up picks for both of those guys.

Ya, I was cautiously optimistic about Chia when he was signed, although there were definitely red flags. But in hindsight, if the Oilers had done any kind of actual vetting process, that hiring never should have happened.

My first question would have been: Let's talk about the Tyler Seguin trade. Would you do it again, and if not what did you learn from it?

My guess is that Chiarelli would have said, yes, I would do it again. At which point I would have thanked him for his time and let him know that we would be in touch.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706984 is a reply to message #706982 ]
Thu, 11 January 2018 08:36 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 11 January 2018 00:46

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 23:18

Chia won a cup, but made all kinds of questionable decisions in his GM career. Even gave up picks for both of those guys.

Ya, I was cautiously optimistic about Chia when he was signed, although there were definitely red flags. But in hindsight, if the Oilers had done any kind of actual vetting process, that hiring never should have happened.

My first question would have been: Let's talk about the Tyler Seguin trade. Would you do it again, and if not what did you learn from it?

My guess is that Chiarelli would have said, yes, I would do it again. At which point I would have thanked him for his time and let him know that we would be in touch.

While I am not defending the Seguin trade because player for player it doesn't look good but I am not one of those fans who looks at all trades as black and white coming down to which team got the better on paper trade. I think at times there are other factors that we don't know about that play into why guys are moved as well. Some super skilled guys are basically uncoachable. No mater how hard the coach tries, that player will more times than not do his own thing. Sure at times because the player is so skilled, good things happen but he often screws the rest of his team because he won't play a team game. Maybe a certain style of player doesn't mesh well in how the team plays. Sure he is super skilled but his style does not go well with how the rest of the team plays. Maybe the players flat out hate the guy. Look no further than Evander Kane. Kane is big, skilled, skates like the wind, can shoot, scores, plays with an edge. On paper he has everything that most teams would want in a winger. As a person he's an immature, selfish prick. He's had multiple altercations with various teammates. The other day, he got into it with Bogosain who ended up getting hurt and it out 4-6 weeks and got into it with another teammate who called him selfish. https://www.tsn.ca/kane-falk-downplay-practice-spat-after-bo gosian-injury-1.964209
Skill set wise, he's look great on the Oilers but I wouldn't go near that guy with a 10 ft pole. Would you? If you are the fan of the team that trades him, are you going to rip a strip off your GM because he can't get full value for Kane the talented hockey player because Kane the person is a complete d-bag which makes some teams not want him at all and other teams who will take a chance won't give you a lot because of his baggage.

So while I am not justifying all the moves, I am not so cut and dry on why players are moved and believe other factors come into play that we as fans don't know about.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706937 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Another loss due primarily to getting in the hole early, and of course giving up a PP goal against. No production on offense, check, that's the 2017/18 Oilers. I don't normally get too cranked at the refs, but that was one of the most poorly officiated games I've seen in quite some time. It's like the old Stampede Wrestling days when the villain pulls a 'foreign object' out of his boot, everyone in the building sees it except the ref.

I know the way it works in the NHL, you earn your breaks, you earn your calls & non calls, but I'm going to call this a ref assisted win for the Preds. You can pick out a call in any game where yeah, that was a miss or that was a weak call. There were big misses last night, and some big weak calls. Egregious errors, calls, non-calls.....and that's not even taking into account the tying goal call-back. We've discussed the offside rule, it either needs to be non-reviewable, limit the camera angles, or changed to where a skate an inch off the ice that has no frigging effect on the play or doesn't create any sneaky advantage is not part of the rule.

The season is just sad, I'm really sad collectively for all Oilers fans. Lifelong fans that are obviously emotionally invested and buy the jerseys, hats, etc. Tier one fans, holy crap, some of whom forego other extras just to attend Oilers games, it's their one indulgence, and have continued to support this franchise through some of the worst that NHL hockey has to offer. All to enjoy the privilege of paying some of the highest prices for tickets and concessions in the league for what (save for a blip last season) has been arguably the worst product in the league overall since the playoff run of nearly 12 years ago.

I used to get angry at the franchise wasting the talent of a guy like Hall, into his 'big' contract years, not making progress, wondering when they were going to be competitive in light of the fact that they were investing $6 million annually into good young players, but not surrounding them with the right teammates or the right people in the organization. My worry was that by the time the team did become competitive, those contracts would be nearing an end and any success would be fleeting. Now, the team has offloaded Hall, offloaded Eberle, has burned through Connor McDavid's ELC, has handed Leon Draisaitl $8.5 annually, still has holes in the roster, questions in coaching staff and management, is again a lottery team, and again the clock is ticking.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706951 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Well, I knew the season was lost when it we were just about to get to 500 hockey, I don't know the tea leaves were showing the decline, the effort on the ice was lacking and the GM making some real nonsensical moves telling the fans I have a plan and we are executing that plan.. so like a fool I believed him.

Getting way undervalue for your assets and tinkering with the roster chemistry in such a way that you have actually rewound the clock to 2014 is such a feat of disastory (my made up word) they this should be criminal of business sabotage.

The rule, ppffft, the Oilers lost the game in the first and did rather well to get the game back in the last two periods and while it sucked for the call to be the right call the Oilers can't step on a soapbox and claim shenanigans, the GM and the coach should really do that but this loss, it's on players. Poor execution of a complex plan on the PK, and it is same story second verse same as the first.

Like a schmuck the Oilers think I am I buy my tickets really only to see the best player in the league. I listen to the same cliches and same excuses and I'm actually quite numb to it.. but for him to be in that tire fire of a team I would not blame him if he requested a trade out of here.. and like PlusOne I would cheer for him wherever he lands.

Pathetic team, with pathetic management, being paid by a pathetic owner. #12YearsASlave

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706975 is a reply to message #706951 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Fair comments, they deserve our scorn!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706970 is a reply to message #706885 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilCanSam  is currently offline OilCanSam

No Cups

Go Oilers!

Previous Topic:Tambo Fired
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca