This day on October 16
None

Happy Birthday To: Pouzar, duckys42

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706783]
Tue, 09 January 2018 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Nashville to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Thursday, December 14, 2017Nashville 4 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Tuesday, January 9, 2018Edmonton 1 @ Nashville 2Loss
Thursday, March 1, 2018Nashville 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-2-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-3-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/1 Total: 3
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/2 Total: 10

2016-17 Regular Season
Friday, January 20, 2017Nashville 3 @ Edmonton 2 (OT) (SO)Loss
Thursday, February 2, 2017Edmonton 0 @ Nashville 2Loss
Sunday, February 26, 2017Edmonton 4 @ Nashville 5Loss
Home Record: 0-0-1       Road Record: 0-2-0       Overall Record: 0-2-1
Home / Road Goals For: 2/4 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/7 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706784 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

A change in mood for myself, the game is on delay over here, starting at 4am. I'll set the tivo up to record it, but if I don't get up to watch as I record I won't be bothered. This and then the two weekend games being shown live, I think the UK NHL provider likes to torture us UK based Oilers fans. Prior to last year the Oilers hardly ever got shown, since we had a good run last year and McDavid they show us all the time.

We've gone beyond the point of "must win". I think we are in the if we win cheer, if we don't oh well we didn't expect to....

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706794 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Remember when I used to say "no small games"? I was wrong. The Oilers are out of big games for this season. This is a small game. It's not a must win. It's not a must lose. It's just a game, an obstacle to overcome before the offseason.

Oh, but if you watch the game pay attention to what the fans chant. We should copy everything the fans in Nashville do.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706795 is a reply to message #706794 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have no clue what to expect anymore from this team. They could come out and get whipped, they could come out and play head to head with Nashville and give them everything they can handle or they could bomb the Preds to night. They probably lose tonight because I think the Preds are the best team in the West but who knows.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706800 is a reply to message #706794 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 10:01

Remember when I used to say "no small games"? I was wrong. The Oilers are out of big games for this season. This is a small game. It's not a must win. It's not a must lose. It's just a game, an obstacle to overcome before the offseason.

Oh, but if you watch the game pay attention to what the fans chant. We should copy everything the fans in Nashville do.

I'm just calling them "may as well lose" games now.

I don't expect the team to give no effort, they should still be trying to earn their salaries and their spot in the lineup next year, but I certainly won't be sad anymore about losses.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706803 is a reply to message #706800 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 11:26

I don't expect the team to give no effort, they should still be trying to earn their salaries and their spot in the lineup next year, but I certainly won't be sad anymore about losses.

Even in the McDavid draft year I couldn't cheer for the other team for to score or be happy with losses.
I just sort of become apathetic to the whole thing. I watch when I am able to put don't make a point to see every game. When they lose I shrug.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706804 is a reply to message #706803 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 10:49

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 11:26

Even in the McDavid draft year I couldn't cheer for the other team for to score or be happy with losses.
I just sort of become apathetic to the whole thing. I watch when I am able to put don't make a point to see every game. When they lose I shrug.

I think you can know you still really care if you still get PO'd at the refs any time they screw the Oilers. Even if you don't care about wins or losses, you still can know you are an Oilers fan based on spontaneous anger towards the refs.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706808 is a reply to message #706804 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/inside-the-oilers-blog-nashv ille-line-combinations/c-294800730?tid=281885062

The Oilers are on the ice at Bridgestone Arena for morning skate in Nashville.

..."Forward lines are:

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Nugent-Hopkins - Puljujarvi
Cammalleri - Strome - Khaira
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian
Slepyshev

Defence pairings are:

Klefbom - Benning
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Larsson
Auvitu - Davidson

Starting goaltender is Cam Talbot." ...

....so I guess this means Slepyshev, Auvitu, and Davidson sit this one out?....playoff chances 0.5%...
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Pacific/Edmonton. html

.....I wonder how the first tier fans feel about this season....as a second or third tier fan, I'm still following the team, but realistic enough to know that the season is blown....

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706813 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Doesn't matter now.. just go and do.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706834 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

The best to hope for is an effort and entertainment. I think we can all recognize suck as Oilers fans, so the delusions are over.

That 0.5% playoff chance.....that's something. The freefall this season is sure to to precipitate significant change, hopefully it's the right change.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706840 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Slow feet and more brain farts, pave the way to a big loss.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706841 is a reply to message #706840 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 15:02

Slow feet and more brain farts, pave the way to a big loss.

Too much popcorn in the pressbox.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706843 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Slepyshev will for sure be traded or sign in the KHL. And then McLellan will have once again purged himself of all Russians.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706855 is a reply to message #706843 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 14:48

Slepyshev will for sure be traded or sign in the KHL. And then McLellan will have once again purged himself of all Russians.

Slepyshev hasn't exactly done anything to deserve a steady roster spot, I'm sure McClellan and Chiarelli expected him to be a producer this year, to go to the next level, that's why they didn't brig anyone else in, kept a roster spot open for him, he's failed, along with MANY others of course, nothing to do with his passport if he winds up being traded. He's had opportunity, squandered it.

There are a few other that have under performed expectations this season;
Strome
Benning
Klefbom
Letestu
Caggiula
Lucic
Auvitu
Jokinen (traded)
Talbot (early.. better now)

Recently..
Kassian

A team can handle a couple of bad performances. but not that many.. that's half a roster.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706879 is a reply to message #706855 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 19:55 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 17:36

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 14:48

Slepyshev hasn't exactly done anything to deserve a steady roster spot, I'm sure McClellan and Chiarelli expected him to be a producer this year, to go to the next level, that's why they didn't brig anyone else in, kept a roster spot open for him, he's failed, along with MANY others of course, nothing to do with his passport if he winds up being traded. He's had opportunity, squandered it.

There are a few other that have under performed expectations this season;
Strome
Benning
Klefbom
Letestu
Caggiula
Lucic
Auvitu
Jokinen (traded)
Talbot (early.. better now)

Recently..
Kassian

A team can handle a couple of bad performances. but not that many.. that's half a roster.

Yeah, I mean I won't lose much sleep when Slepyshev leaves (and the KHL seems likely, doesn't it? Not sure he re-signs to sit in the PB). Except that he is an NHL depth player and we don't have a lot of that. Probably a replaceable part thought, even though the Oilers seem to struggle with that.

McLellan's relationship with Russian players does raise an eyebrow. There are lots of Russians in the NHL. And McLellan has coached for 10 years. His first year in SJ he had two Russians (Semenov, Nabokov); his second year, one (Nabokov), and then no more for the next five years, none. In Edmonton, first year he had three (Yakupov, Nikitin, Slepyshev), next year just one (Slepyshev), this year just one (Slepyshev). Very likely none beginning as soon as next year.

None of those guys are NHL stars and with the exception of perhaps Yakupov, are likely fringe NHLers. What is more surprising than those players leaving is that as a head coach he has never had a Russian brought into an organization. There's a lot of them out there. Maybe one of the Oilers picks becomes that. But it is odd to me.

EDIT: To be fair here, Slepyshev made his jump to the NHL under McLellan. He was drafted into the organization before McLellan, but Maksimov, Samorukov, and Paigin were drafted after McLellan was hired. We'll see if they make the team; maybe it is coincidence.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 January 2018 20:06]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706848 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

Time for a bold prediction:

This is one of those games that seems like it should absolutely be a loss for the Oilers, so the Oilers are going to win big, guessing around 8-2 Oilers

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706850 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

I will figure out who won this one after the fact. Not gonna watch.

Remember, you don't -have- to choose misery. You too can choose to not watch.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44) [message #706851 is a reply to message #706783 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Wish there was still some optimism left in me but they are facing a much better team that has it's sights on St Louis in the standings. Or maybe they are at the nothing to lose anymore loosey goosey stage of another losing season and will play like they should have all along, ignoring the tight reins of the coaching staff and blow the doors off off of the Preds.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #44)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #43)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca