This day on December 17
None

Happy Birthday To: pupper, amandeepman88, killerabbie, nev'z87, Oilerifik, idekoning

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another.
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704417]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:10 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

The Oilers claimed Nathan Walker off waivers then waive Pakarinen. I know nothing about Walker, anyone?
Pakarien, he's dead weight. I pray he is claimed but I doubt it.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704418 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 10:10

The Oilers claimed Nathan Walker off waivers then waive Pakarinen. I know nothing about Walker, anyone?

More dead weight coming in:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145748

Left wing who scores about one point every two games in the AHL. He's three years younger than Pakarinen, so I guess there's that? Still...an odd use of a valuable contract spot.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704421 is a reply to message #704418 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Does he kill penalties? Right now they have guys on the PK who don't have a clue. Hard to say because he's played so little.

From my perspective, if he keeps McLellan from putting in Pakarinen in the line up who I think it useless, I am all for it. But on the surface he looks like a bit player at best.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2017 10:17]

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704420 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Well, he plays for the Australian national team, so that's cool.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704424 is a reply to message #704420 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Maybe McDavid loves the Crocodile Dundee movies and they wanted someone who could reenact the lines in the movie more accurately. Pakarinen's Aussie accent wasn't cutting it anymore.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704430 is a reply to message #704424 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:24

Maybe McDavid loves the Crocodile Dundee movies and they wanted someone who could reenact the lines in the movie more accurately. Pakarinen's Aussie accent wasn't cutting it anymore.

Yep, and a feel good story for the MSM to talk about, not to mention a whole lotta Gene puns, accents and costumes.

Now that I am needing to find positives in things other than wins I am going on the record as supporting this move.

Games left that I have to see Kris Russell in an Oilers jersey=398

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704425 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Good news, he also plays center! Total TM guy
In 58 mins of total 5 v 5 ice time this year he 55 FO's taken. Bad news for those that believe in the importance of that skill, he is just under 43%

Games left that I have to see Kris Russell in an Oilers jersey=398

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704426 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oilers claimed a nice feel good story:

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty
Oilers claim one of the NHL's best stories, Aussie-born Nathan Walker off waivers from Wash. Pakarinen on waivers.

Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug
Newest Oiler
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2017 /10/07/capitals-nathan-walker-set-to-become-first-australian -nhl-player/?utm_term=.f13d6e17ee10

Giving something for the media to talk and write about. Might be the main goal :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704443 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

I saw this guy go on waivers yesterday and thought.. "well that guys NHL career is over, good try Aussie, what team would bother picking him up?" ...

Oh.. and the guy going out is big 6 ft, over 200#, this guy coming in is 5'-8".

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2017 11:10]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704445 is a reply to message #704443 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:09

I saw this guy go on waivers yesterday and thought.. "well that guys NHL career is over, good try Aussie, what team would bother picking him up?" ...

Don't think we'll miss Pak. He is a terrible NHL hockey player. Don't expect much from the new guy either though. Shoulda just kept the roster spot empty if we could get rid of Pak. Unless there is some other roster downgrade about to happen and we just needed another warm body.

Maroon seems extra demotivated the last couple games. Wonder if he's on the way out.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2017 11:15]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704447 is a reply to message #704445 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryanc182 is currently online ryanc182

No Cups

I think Maroon just looks a lot like what Maroon looks like before life with McDavid.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704450 is a reply to message #704447 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

ryanc182 wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:17

I think Maroon just looks a lot like what Maroon looks like before life with McDavid.

That is why I think the Oilers need to let Maroon go. I think some team will pay him. Maybe even his hometown St. Louis. My fear with Maroon as much as I like him, he seems to be a product of McDavid. Put him with McDavid, he's a 20+ goal guy. Guys who put up over 20 goals get 4-5 mill easily. Put him on another line, he's a mid to low teens goal guy. Guys who can put up teens in goals are still valuable for your top 9 but you can't be paying them more than maybe 3 mill.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704451 is a reply to message #704445 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:13

Don't think we'll miss Pak. He is a terrible NHL hockey player. Don't expect much from the new guy either though. Shoulda just kept the roster spot empty if we could get rid of Pak. Unless there is some other roster downgrade about to happen and we just needed another warm body.

Maroon seems extra demotivated the last couple games. Wonder if he's on the way out.

It's bizarre that we'd feel the need to take another borderline 23 year old AHLer. We just have so many of those guys already. Is this guy going to bring anything that we couldn't have got from Ty Rattie or Brad Malone or Ryan Hamilton?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704455 is a reply to message #704451 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:25

It's bizarre that we'd feel the need to take another borderline 23 year old AHLer. We just have so many of those guys already. Is this guy going to bring anything that we couldn't have got from Ty Rattie or Brad Malone or Ryan Hamilton?

The 3 guys you mentioned can't skate. The knock I have heard about Rattie is foot speed. Like Lander he can put up numbers at the AHL level but struggles in the NHL because he can't get there.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704461 is a reply to message #704455 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 10:28

The 3 guys you mentioned can't skate. The knock I have heard about Rattie is foot speed. Like Lander he can put up numbers at the AHL level but struggles in the NHL because he can't get there.

I don't know about Rattie or Hamilton's speed, but Malone looked fast enough.

I think this waiver pick up is a faint hope shot at something, smells like panic.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704466 is a reply to message #704455 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:28

So obviously, an Australian smurf who can't put up points in the AHL, and who has 1 assist in 7 NHL games is the answer? Remember, those others all are already using up space in our 50-contract limit. If you want, we could be asking why the Oilers wasted NHL contracts on guys who can't skate at an NHL level (or at least, who you believe can't skate - although I would bet that your only evidence on skating prowess is what you heard on the radio).

Why waste another contract spot on another player who isn't going to be good enough. Is this the response to the idiotic "we're really missing Hendricks" thing making the rounds? Is he a great "glue guy"?

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704468 is a reply to message #704466 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Love the timing of this, when the Oilers fans are at the end of their rope with management.

I looked at his Eliteprospects and he's never been a scorer anywhere or anytime. I don't have faith that he's the guy to come in and help with PP, PK, 4th line duty etc. As for Pakarinen don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I'd love to see them for once claim some bonafide NHL'ers. Kyle Quincy was available a couple of days ago, and yeah, "we don't need anymore 6-7 D-Men!" but you're telling me he doesn't bring more than Gryba? Okay, Gryba shoots right but you can insert Quincy and not worry about your life like I do with Gryba.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704479 is a reply to message #704468 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 10:55

Love the timing of this, when the Oilers fans are at the end of their rope with management.

I looked at his Eliteprospects and he's never been a scorer anywhere or anytime. I don't have faith that he's the guy to come in and help with PP, PK, 4th line duty etc. As for Pakarinen don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I'd love to see them for once claim some bonafide NHL'ers. Kyle Quincy was available a couple of days ago, and yeah, "we don't need anymore 6-7 D-Men!" but you're telling me he doesn't bring more than Gryba? Okay, Gryba shoots right but you can insert Quincy and not worry about your life like I do with Gryba.

Nathan Walker.. doh

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704457 is a reply to message #704445 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 10:13

I wasn't a real fan of Pakarenin's but at least he had the size to play a 4th line role, we won't likely miss him, but this guy coming in has the same talent level, but... smaller.

Regarding Maroon, if he can't play without McD, then better know now before you sign any deal going forward, if I was him I'd be showing I can contribute without playing with the best player in the world..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704454 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Thank goodness for Chiarelli, the team's problems are solved. /s

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704458 is a reply to message #704454 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Tracy Lane tweeted 11 hours ago to expect a move within the next 48-72 hours. She was almost dead on. 2 moves!! icon_lol

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704505 is a reply to message #704454 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 11:28

Thank goodness for Chiarelli, the team's problems are solved. /s

Bold.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704501 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

An article on the Australian Gretzky, complete with video of his only NHL point to date...a blast from Devante Smith-Pelly that looked to deflect off Walker's shin pad en route to the net... https://oilersnation.com/2017/12/01/oilers-claim-australian- gretzky-nathan-walker-place-iiro-pakarinen-on-waivers/

EDIT: Looking at it again, it might have been literally off his ass...

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704504 is a reply to message #704501 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

maybe all 44% of those face-off wins were the really important ones. He only loses the ones he doesn't care about.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704555 is a reply to message #704504 ]
Sat, 02 December 2017 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 14:10

maybe all 44% of those face-off wins were the really important ones. He only loses the ones he doesn't care about.

44% of the time, he wins everytime

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704539 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

More I think about it, Fk I hate this waiver pick up.
Its freaking embarrassing.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704540 is a reply to message #704417 ]
Fri, 01 December 2017 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Oh my god, you guys complain when they do nothing then you complain when the do something.

He came for free, why not give him a chance?

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704545 is a reply to message #704540 ]
Sat, 02 December 2017 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 01 December 2017 23:41

Oh my god, you guys complain when they do nothing then you complain when the do something.

He came for free, why not give him a chance?

Because nothing is free. If this doesn't work it wastes the one thing the Oilers don't have enough of this season... time. Simply put the Oilers don't have the luxury of messing around and hoping something works. They need to get it right and they need to get it right now.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704548 is a reply to message #704545 ]
Sat, 02 December 2017 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Yeah...this reeks like a MacTavish Dopita or Belov move.

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704556 is a reply to message #704548 ]
Sat, 02 December 2017 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Sat, 02 December 2017 03:48

At least Belov and Dopita had reputations as some of the best players not in the NHL. This guy is just the best Australian player in the NHL.

This management group clearly hates being too far away from the 50 contract limit. If you're not at least at 48/50, you're not trying!

Brandon Davidson on waivers. That might have actually been a pickup to help the team. Come on, 2 contract spots left, it's like money burning a hole in your pocket, must use them up!!!

[Updated on: Sat, 02 December 2017 12:39]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers claim a player on waivers, waive another. [message #704577 is a reply to message #704556 ]
Sat, 02 December 2017 16:17 Go to previous message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 December 2017 11:35

Xombie wrote on Sat, 02 December 2017 03:48

At least Belov and Dopita had reputations as some of the best players not in the NHL. This guy is just the best Australian player in the NHL.

This management group clearly hates being too far away from the 50 contract limit. If you're not at least at 48/50, you're not trying!

Brandon Davidson on waivers. That might have actually been a pickup to help the team. Come on, 2 contract spots left, it's like money burning a hole in your pocket, must use them up!!!

Well Davidson back here wont happen if you believe one of the crazy posters here who's clearly off his rocker claiming that #88 didn't get supported while he was last an Oiler.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #27)
Next Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca