This day on December 17
None

Happy Birthday To: pupper, amandeepman88, killerabbie, nev'z87, Oilerifik, idekoning

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704154]
Thu, 30 November 2017 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   51%
Toronto to win:   49%
39 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Thursday, November 30, 2017Toronto 6 @ Edmonton 4Loss
Sunday, December 10, 2017Edmonton 0 @ Toronto 1Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/0 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/1 Total: 7

2016-17 Regular Season
Tuesday, November 1, 2016Edmonton 2 @ Toronto 3 (OT)Loss
Tuesday, November 29, 2016Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-0-1       Overall Record: 0-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 2/2 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/3 Total: 7

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704158 is a reply to message #704154 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The boys are hot. They're rolling Billy, rolling! Let's go streaking.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704162 is a reply to message #704154 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

LB is in I think since Talbot has an upper body injury (his head, I don't know) and the boys didn't deserve to win the AZ game. Here comes the leafs who has their game on.

To win this, the Oilers have to play for each other and support LB back there because it's not going to be a fun game if they play the way they did last game or Buffalo.

THEY MUST play like last year.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704166 is a reply to message #704162 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

While the effort against the Coyotes was disappointing, is anyone surprised? How many times over the years have we seen the Oilers come back from a road trip, up against a supposedly lesser team and lay an egg?

Definitely a tough test for the Oilers. They need to play a good game. I am not as worried about LB starting if that happens just because I think he is capable of playing well and how many times have we seen the Oilers go up against a teams back up and they make that back up look like a vezina winner. Against a good team, there could be the thought that if you make a mistake you have your starter to bail you out. If the back up is in, teams often tighten up. We will see if that holds true.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704171 is a reply to message #704166 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Just saw on Twitter from the Oilers that they recalled Ellis and put Talbot on IR. Wonderful. icon_thumbdown

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704172 is a reply to message #704171 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 09:44

Just saw on Twitter from the Oilers that they recalled Ellis and put Talbot on IR. Wonderful. icon_thumbdown

Oh no. That is a negative development.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704174 is a reply to message #704172 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

According to what I read on twitter, the soonest Talbot would be able to play since he is on IR is Wednesday against the Flyers. No better opportunity for LB to prove he is capable. But in saying that, it might be a good idea to restock the old liquor cabinet. Could be rough. I hope I am wrong.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704175 is a reply to message #704172 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 09:46

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 09:44

Oh no. That is a negative development.

It's gonna be Yuge! Listen, the Oilers have THE BEST goal tending goal tenders that are THE BEST at what they do! I have, I have the.. you can believe me that the Oilers are going to win! Believe me.

Wait and see what the Oilers have in store. Wait and see.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704176 is a reply to message #704175 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

That's the spirit!! Positive vibes. It can't hurt.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704177 is a reply to message #704176 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:02

It can if you're the GM.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704178 is a reply to message #704177 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:13

It can if you're the GM.

It's a life choice. A person can choose to seek out and focus on the negative and let it get them down and be miserable all the time or try to be positive. Being positive is always harder to do.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704180 is a reply to message #704178 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

According to Rishaug, Talbot had an MRI and revealed some issues with a previous injury from this season. It's not serious but needs some recovery time. I'd be curious to know when this injury happened. I don't remember a time when Talbot even had a trainer come out in a game to check on him. Other than being sick with the Flu, I don't remember it being reported he missed even a practice. Did he pull a back muscle picking up a kid?

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704191 is a reply to message #704178 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:17

It can if you're the GM.

It's a life choice. A person can choose to seek out and focus on the negative and let it get them down and be miserable all the time or try to be positive. Being positive is always harder to do.

I disagree. It's easy to be positive, devil may care, and hope for the best. What's difficult is finding the problems,confronting the realization that mistakes were made and now solutions have to be found. Doubly difficult if you're the person making the mistakes.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704224 is a reply to message #704191 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 11:07

It can if you're the GM.

I disagree. It's easy to be positive, devil may care, and hope for the best. What's difficult is finding the problems,confronting the realization that mistakes were made and now solutions have to be found. Doubly difficult if you're the person making the mistakes.

disagree completely, as these are oilers fans were talking about, where after 10 years of the team getting beat up in the league, the evolution of social media and the online fan presence has lead to the vast majority of being hyper negative and critical, whether it be on message boards, blogs etc.

Because ultimately I think people want 1) Kevin Lowe and MacT and anyone associated with the OBC to be permanently gone and forgotten about, 2) they would probably prefer to have a different owner and 3) Chiarelli and any of the current brain trust fired, with a smaller segment - #4) wanting coaching staff fired...

And that these rational, intellectual, passionate, deep thinking fans think they are more aware of all the deep underlying problems surrounding the team and organization, more in tune with everything going on than those in management or the lay fan, and that this justifies their outright negativity and contempt.

Yes, let's all b!**h and moan online until we get our message and our voices heard and the OBC is all let go!

Till we can have Chiarelli and the gang publicly humiliated, and maybe perhaps feel vindicated knowing that we were right about the bad trades and they were all wrong, and that the team was better off with Hall, Eberle and whoever else! That we called all these moves, saw all this coming, the errors of their ways but they just couldn't.

That will never happen. At some point people just have to relax and either move on to something else or go at things a different way.

I'm not blaming the Oiler fans as we have some of the best in the league, and the Oilers did it to themselves essentially, but things have changed and evolved, particularly with the "intelligent" "woke" fan and the blogosphere, it has become an insufferable cesspool.

It goes beyond fandom and it's egomaniacal serious internet bu11s*!t, it's become a pissing contest where everyone wants to be right and think they know more than the next person. These are not real fans IMO, particularly those in the blogging community.

Radio hosts like Lowetide exacerbate these problems greatly by playing both sides.

At this point I think these "fans" are legitimately hoping for the team to collapse and fail again so that there may be the chance of the team axing anyone from the remaining OBC, turfing Chiarelli and getting someone else in there.

I guarantee you many of these online "fans" will, and can never be happy - for a multitude of reasons. If any when they win a Stanley Cup, there will be some who think they could've won that many more, that much sooner, if Hall was still in the fold.

It's sad and pathetic tbh.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 November 2017 13:34]

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704242 is a reply to message #704224 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 13:23

It can if you're the GM.

disagree completely, as these are oilers fans were talking about, where after 10 years of the team getting beat up in the league, the evolution of social media and the online fan presence has lead to the vast majority of being hyper negative and critical, whether it be on message boards, blogs etc.

Because ultimately I think people want 1) Kevin Lowe and MacT and anyone associated with the OBC to be permanently gone and forgotten about, 2) they would probably prefer to have a different owner and 3) Chiarelli and any of the current brain trust fired, with a smaller segment - #4) wanting coaching staff fired...

And that these rational, intellectual, passionate, deep thinking fans think they are more aware of all the deep underlying problems surrounding the team and organization, more in tune with everything going on than those in management or the lay fan, and that this justifies their outright negativity and contempt.

Yes, let's all b!**h and moan online until we get our message and our voices heard and the OBC is all let go!

Till we can have Chiarelli and the gang publicly humiliated, and maybe perhaps feel vindicated knowing that we were right about the bad trades and they were all wrong, and that the team was better off with Hall, Eberle and whoever else! That we called all these moves, saw all this coming, the errors of their ways but they just couldn't.

That will never happen. At some point people just have to relax and either move on to something else or go at things a different way.

I'm not blaming the Oiler fans as we have some of the best in the league, and the Oilers did it to themselves essentially, but things have changed and evolved, particularly with the "intelligent" "woke" fan and the blogosphere, it has become an insufferable cesspool.

It goes beyond fandom and it's egomaniacal serious internet bu11s*!t, it's become a pissing contest where everyone wants to be right and think they know more than the next person. These are not real fans IMO, particularly those in the blogging community.

Radio hosts like Lowetide exacerbate these problems greatly by playing both sides.

At this point I think these "fans" are legitimately hoping for the team to collapse and fail again so that there may be the chance of the team axing anyone from the remaining OBC, turfing Chiarelli and getting someone else in there.

I guarantee you many of these online "fans" will, and can never be happy - for a multitude of reasons. If any when they win a Stanley Cup, there will be some who think they could've won that many more, that much sooner, if Hall was still in the fold.

If anything, I'm too positive about a team that has been in a nosedive for 18 years. Honestly, I'm not sure what people who still follow this team have to be positive about aside from the obvious joy that is watching McDavid. But to address specific points you made.

(1) I do want Lowe, MacTavish, and everyone associated with this swan dive fired. They caused it, they should be held responsible. I have no problem with them as ambassadors to the past once they're removed from positions whose job description includes "ruining the Oilers. (2) If given my druthers, I'd have a different owner. Katz has shown what he's concerned with, it isn't winning. Since I only care about the Oilers winning it appears like our goals for the team are misaligned. However, I understand the owner doesn't answer to anyone but himself, so if he's not going to sell the team I just hope he focuses on winning. (3) It's hard to argue in favor of Chiarelli right now. Us negative nellies started screaming about Chiarelli telegraphing terrible moves last summer (2016). We saw this year coming and it came. You should hear what we're redicting for the next couple of years. It ain't pretty, but it's predictable. So yeah, I'd fire him too. Mostly because he's shown himself to be an awful GM. (4). Yup. Like GMs, Assistant GMs, Owners, scouts, video guys, trainers, and POHOs I judge coaches by their actions and results. The coach isn't good. Of course no coach for the Oilers has been given a good team in 15 seasons, so that one is harder to stand behind.

Are us "rational, intellectual, passionate, deep thinking fans" more aware of deep underlying problems? Well, it sure as hell seems like we are. Again, I've been accurately predicting doom for the Oilers since 2008. The club has gotten every year wrong. Even last year. Frankly, my record for knowing what will happen to the Oilers is better than the Oilers. So yeah, I'm more aware. Don't like it? Tough. I'm right.

I frankly don't care if anyone hears my voice. I enjoy hockey, I enjoy thinking about hockey, I enjoy talking and writing about hockey, and I'm well aware I'm outside of the Oilers' inner circle of decision makers.

We're not the best fans in the league. Not even close. We're dumb. Want evidence? We're still buying tickets to the Centerville of hockey teams. What's Centerville? A coal mine that's been on fire since 1962. Btw, it's hard for residents of Centerville to be super positive about their town right now since, you know, the ground is on fire. I would complain about their complaining.

What? You think Chiarelli and the gang aren't embarrassed about their team? Do they not watch the games? I'm sure they can read the standings. Anyway, I don't need vindication for knowing I'm right about, well, everything. I watch the games and can read the standings.

Truthfully, I've started enjoying hockey a lot more since I became emotionally divested from the Oilers. If you think that makes me a bad fan, that's cool. I'm not worried about your opinion or changing it. Enjoy the games however you want and enjoy this board however you want.

You are correct! I do like being right. And I'm right a lot. It's an odd feeback loop with the Oilers. The more negative I am the more smug I can be. I'd argue that's on the club for being awful rather than me for being negative.

It's a shame you think radio guys listening to both sides of an argument is somehow a negative.

I only hope for enjoyable meaningful hockey. Whatever gets me back to that quickest is what I want. If that means firing everyone between Katz and McDavid. So be it.

It's a philosophical point, but I never chase happiness. Happiness comes and goes, it's not a fish you can catch. To the point at hand, I'm certainly not looking for my hockey team to supply me with happiness. The Oilers don't make me sad, they don't make me happy, they don't make me drink, and they don't make me eat nachos for supper tonight. For the record, I think this management team has already cost us a cup or two. It certainly looks like they cost us a shot at a Cup this year.

It's sad and pathetic? Awww, now whose being negative.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704246 is a reply to message #704242 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I for one am just so pumped to see Khaira and Letestu running PP1 tonight!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704248 is a reply to message #704246 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 15:28

I for one am just so pumped to see Khaira and Letestu running PP1 tonight!

Take it to the positive feelings thread.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704253 is a reply to message #704242 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 15:16

It can if you're the GM.

If anything, I'm too positive about a team that has been in a nosedive for 18 years. Honestly, I'm not sure what people who still follow this team have to be positive about aside from the obvious joy that is watching McDavid. But to address specific points you made.

(1) I do want Lowe, MacTavish, and everyone associated with this swan dive fired. They caused it, they should be held responsible. I have no problem with them as ambassadors to the past once they're removed from positions whose job description includes "ruining the Oilers. (2) If given my druthers, I'd have a different owner. Katz has shown what he's concerned with, it isn't winning. Since I only care about the Oilers winning it appears like our goals for the team are misaligned. However, I understand the owner doesn't answer to anyone but himself, so if he's not going to sell the team I just hope he focuses on winning. (3) It's hard to argue in favor of Chiarelli right now. Us negative nellies started screaming about Chiarelli telegraphing terrible moves last summer (2016). We saw this year coming and it came. You should hear what we're redicting for the next couple of years. It ain't pretty, but it's predictable. So yeah, I'd fire him too. Mostly because he's shown himself to be an awful GM. (4). Yup. Like GMs, Assistant GMs, Owners, scouts, video guys, trainers, and POHOs I judge coaches by their actions and results. The coach isn't good. Of course no coach for the Oilers has been given a good team in 15 seasons, so that one is harder to stand behind.

Are us "rational, intellectual, passionate, deep thinking fans" more aware of deep underlying problems? Well, it sure as hell seems like we are. Again, I've been accurately predicting doom for the Oilers since 2008. The club has gotten every year wrong. Even last year. Frankly, my record for knowing what will happen to the Oilers is better than the Oilers. So yeah, I'm more aware. Don't like it? Tough. I'm right.

I frankly don't care if anyone hears my voice. I enjoy hockey, I enjoy thinking about hockey, I enjoy talking and writing about hockey, and I'm well aware I'm outside of the Oilers' inner circle of decision makers.

We're not the best fans in the league. Not even close. We're dumb. Want evidence? We're still buying tickets to the Centerville of hockey teams. What's Centerville? A coal mine that's been on fire since 1962. Btw, it's hard for residents of Centerville to be super positive about their town right now since, you know, the ground is on fire. I would complain about their complaining.

What? You think Chiarelli and the gang aren't embarrassed about their team? Do they not watch the games? I'm sure they can read the standings. Anyway, I don't need vindication for knowing I'm right about, well, everything. I watch the games and can read the standings.

Truthfully, I've started enjoying hockey a lot more since I became emotionally divested from the Oilers. If you think that makes me a bad fan, that's cool. I'm not worried about your opinion or changing it. Enjoy the games however you want and enjoy this board however you want.

You are correct! I do like being right. And I'm right a lot. It's an odd feeback loop with the Oilers. The more negative I am the more smug I can be. I'd argue that's on the club for being awful rather than me for being negative.

It's a shame you think radio guys listening to both sides of an argument is somehow a negative.

I only hope for enjoyable meaningful hockey. Whatever gets me back to that quickest is what I want. If that means firing everyone between Katz and McDavid. So be it.

It's a philosophical point, but I never chase happiness. Happiness comes and goes, it's not a fish you can catch. To the point at hand, I'm certainly not looking for my hockey team to supply me with happiness. The Oilers don't make me sad, they don't make me happy, they don't make me drink, and they don't make me eat nachos for supper tonight. For the record, I think this management team has already cost us a cup or two. It certainly looks like they cost us a shot at a Cup this year.

It's sad and pathetic? Awww, now whose being negative.

Look at how fan immersion into the game by being 'connected' has gone, and how immersed some become, bordering on obsession. That's what I think he was talking about.

I think of the difference between the choices for fans to connect to their teams and to each other between when I first joined Oilfans and today. It's astounding. Newspapers were still relevant then. Sports talk radio in this market was still in its infancy. No one accessed the internet by mobile data, no smartphones, and many had a dial-up rather than a broadband connection at home. You still pretty much had to read a sports writer to get a breakdown of the game, and you still might have picked up an issue of Hockey News for your draft with your buddies.

What's going on today is totally related to how technology has evolved in the last 10-15 years. It goes to how there are no secrets any more, everyone has access to information, and it not only explains how fans each now have a platform if they want it, it explains the change in how organizations, players, and fans interact with each other. This is end of the innocence, as it were.

Each to their own on how deep they go down the rabbit hole in terms of fandom. I have always pretty much used this forum for example to vent or rave....more venting than raving. I don't have many gems of insight to offer, and don't get into it as much as I might have at one time, but enjoy it all the same. I used to get angry as an Oilers fan when they sucked for years already, but that's pretty much softened to disappointment. You have to admit that there run the gammut between sort of casual fan on here and the fan/armchair critic, and between lurker and budding novelist in terms of submitting thoughts. The difference between now and 2004 for me is that everyone is armed with infinitely more information. Each to their own, but I certainly understand the sentiment.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704262 is a reply to message #704253 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 16:40

Look at how fan immersion into the game by being 'connected' has gone, and how immersed some become, bordering on obsession. That's what I think he was talking about.

I think of the difference between the choices for fans to connect to their teams and to each other between when I first joined Oilfans and today. It's astounding. Newspapers were still relevant then. Sports talk radio in this market was still in its infancy. No one accessed the internet by mobile data, no smartphones, and many had a dial-up rather than a broadband connection at home. You still pretty much had to read a sports writer to get a breakdown of the game, and you still might have picked up an issue of Hockey News for your draft with your buddies.

What's going on today is totally related to how technology has evolved in the last 10-15 years. It goes to how there are no secrets any more, everyone has access to information, and it not only explains how fans each now have a platform if they want it, it explains the change in how organizations, players, and fans interact with each other. This is end of the innocence, as it were.

Each to their own on how deep they go down the rabbit hole in terms of fandom. I have always pretty much used this forum for example to vent or rave....more venting than raving. I don't have many gems of insight to offer, and don't get into it as much as I might have at one time, but enjoy it all the same. I used to get angry as an Oilers fan when they sucked for years already, but that's pretty much softened to disappointment. You have to admit that there run the gammut between sort of casual fan on here and the fan/armchair critic, and between lurker and budding novelist in terms of submitting thoughts. The difference between now and 2004 for me is that everyone is armed with infinitely more information. Each to their own, but I certainly understand the sentiment.

Great post. Very interesting.

The changes in hockey, the world, and even my life since we started posting here are incredible. I could barely recognize the 2003 version of myself, to say nothing of the 2003 version of the world. I'm not sure you can say because we have access to more avenues of information we're more immersed in Oilers hockey. It's difficult for me to be objective here because I'm most familiar with Oilers hockey and it seems to me like we're more connected, but less obsessed with the team, but that's mostly because the team has mostly been awful since 2003. I could be wrong, but I'd have no idea how to quantify any of this. I know I have less of an Oilers obsession. Whether that's due to the awful hockey, my increasing age, or changing priorities I don't know.

The way fans interact with players certainly has change. It's partially due to social media access, but it's also due to the big increase in player salaries and the drive to monetize every interaction. Player - fan interactions are usually tightly controlled, sponsored, and have a dollar value. Whatever the truth is, you're right, innocence has been lost. My dad has a fun story about running in Gretzky on level 1 of Northlands between the pre-game skate and the game in ~1983. It was no big deal. That would be impossible now.

To your final point, yeah there is a wide spectrum of fans here. I think it's great. We get dozens of different perspectives on the same event. I think the extra perspectives really help me get a better understanding of what's going on. To that end, I certainly am an armchair critic. I post because I like hockey, I like making predictions, and I like writing (even though I'm not a great writer). It sure beats writing issue briefs and business cases.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704270 is a reply to message #704262 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 18:14

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 16:40

Great post. Very interesting.

The changes in hockey, the world, and even my life since we started posting here are incredible. I could barely recognize the 2003 version of myself, to say nothing of the 2003 version of the world. I'm not sure you can say because we have access to more avenues of information we're more immersed in Oilers hockey. It's difficult for me to be objective here because I'm most familiar with Oilers hockey and it seems to me like we're more connected, but less obsessed with the team, but that's mostly because the team has mostly been awful since 2003. I could be wrong, but I'd have no idea how to quantify any of this. I know I have less of an Oilers obsession. Whether that's due to the awful hockey, my increasing age, or changing priorities I don't know.

The way fans interact with players certainly has change. It's partially due to social media access, but it's also due to the big increase in player salaries and the drive to monetize every interaction. Player - fan interactions are usually tightly controlled, sponsored, and have a dollar value. Whatever the truth is, you're right, innocence has been lost. My dad has a fun story about running in Gretzky on level 1 of Northlands between the pre-game skate and the game in ~1983. It was no big deal. That would be impossible now.

To your final point, yeah there is a wide spectrum of fans here. I think it's great. We get dozens of different perspectives on the same event. I think the extra perspectives really help me get a better understanding of what's going on. To that end, I certainly am an armchair critic. I post because I like hockey, I like making predictions, and I like writing (even though I'm not a great writer). It sure beats writing issue briefs and business cases.

Yeah, I hadn't considered that motive to post....for some it's kind of an escape I guess.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704250 is a reply to message #704224 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It can if you're the GM.

It is sad and pathetic, and your post encapsulates the state of sport/media/fandom & social media in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. The ubiquity of the internet and being 'connected' no matter where you are, and everyone having this as a platform has created this animal. This is where we're at, the new reality.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704252 is a reply to message #704250 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 16:03

It can if you're the GM.

It is sad and pathetic, and your post encapsulates the state of sport/media/fandom & social media in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. The ubiquity of the internet and being 'connected' no matter where you are, and everyone having this as a platform has created this animal. This is where we're at, the new reality.

The fact that individual responsed to my post the way they did, encapsulated my point entirely lol. People care too much about this stuff. Internet hockey “fans” truly are the worst.

PLEASE LORD, BRING ME BACK MY BELOVED HALL AND EBERLE

[Updated on: Thu, 30 November 2017 16:37]

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704254 is a reply to message #704252 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 16:35

It can if you're the GM.

The fact that individual responsed to my post the way they did, encapsulated my point entirely lol. People care too much about this stuff. Internet hockey “fans” truly are the worst.

Well, you have to realize though that different people deal with Oilers rage/disappointment in different ways. This forum is a release for them, and for myself. Some people rant about particular members of management, some against the steady stream of coaches, some against the players. I like people who are on the same page as me of course, but I don't mind some different approaches.....it's like talking politics & such in the OT forum. This is like a modern version of the coffee shop or the tavern in the town near which I grew up, all sorts of characters.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704260 is a reply to message #704252 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 16:35

It can if you're the GM.

We may be at the point of philosophical difference here. It seems like you're bothered that I took the time to read and respond to what you wrote. I enjoy people taking the time to digest what I write. If you don't that's cool... philosophical differences.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704256 is a reply to message #704224 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

philly boy wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 12:23

has lead to the vast majority of being hyper negative and critical, whether it be on message boards, blogs etc.

Says the guy that said that Eberle is, "hot garbage"

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: 9 games

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704251 is a reply to message #704176 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

Being positive towards something that is not good, is what leads to mass/blind acceptance of atrocities.

I think, we've all lived through the atrocity of the last 12 years, amidst an equally long sell-out streak.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704179 is a reply to message #704154 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

With the number of Grade A's the Oilers have been giving up Brossoit will be busy, how he does in Talbot's absence could determine his career.

Tonight will be interesting.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704181 is a reply to message #704179 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:19

With the number of Grade A's the Oilers have been giving up Brossoit will be busy, how he does in Talbot's absence could determine his career.

Sometimes teams buckle down when the back up is in. I hope that is the case. Joaquin Gage was on the Neilson show today and said these are the type of opportunities that can make a guys career. He's right, if Brossoit can put together a few good games, he could set himself up. Fingers crossed.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704183 is a reply to message #704181 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:22

Sometimes teams buckle down when the back up is in. I hope that is the case. Joaquin Gage was on the Neilson show today and said these are the type of opportunities that can make a guys career. He's right, if Brossoit can put together a few good games, he could set himself up. Fingers crossed.

It's funny that it's Joaquin Gage saying that. In the lockout shortened season of 1994-95, Gage was called up to back-up Freddie Brathwaite when Bill Ranford got hurt in late April. Brathwaite gassed two in a row, and then the Oilers turned to the rookie Gage in hope he could salvage a season where they were painfully close to a playoff berth. He also lost two in a row and the Oilers missed the playoffs by 3 points.

In 1995-96, the Oilers were in a playoff race, despite still having a pretty young team. Doug Weight was on fire (this was his 104 point season) and they'd made a big trade mid-season sending Ranford out and giving Curtis Joseph the starter job. Late in the year HE got hurt, and once again the tandem of Brathwaite and Gage was handed the ball. This time Gage was given the chance to prove his mettle...he went 1-4, the Oilers cratered and missed the playoffs again.

Gage would definitely know something about these situations...hopefully Brossoit doesn't follow in his footsteps...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704185 is a reply to message #704183 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:44

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 10:22

It's funny that it's Joaquin Gage saying that. In the lockout shortened season of 1994-95, Gage was called up to back-up Freddie Brathwaite when Bill Ranford got hurt in late April. Brathwaite gassed two in a row, and then the Oilers turned to the rookie Gage in hope he could salvage a season where they were painfully close to a playoff berth. He also lost two in a row and the Oilers missed the playoffs by 3 points.

In 1995-96, the Oilers were in a playoff race, despite still having a pretty young team. Doug Weight was on fire (this was his 104 point season) and they'd made a big trade mid-season sending Ranford out and giving Curtis Joseph the starter job. Late in the year HE got hurt, and once again the tandem of Brathwaite and Gage was handed the ball. This time Gage was given the chance to prove his mettle...he went 1-4, the Oilers cratered and missed the playoffs again.

Gage would definitely know something about these situations...hopefully Brossoit doesn't follow in his footsteps...

Well thanks for coming in and making us all feel worse. icon_thumbsup

When Lundqvist went down a few years ago, it was an relatively unproven back up in Talbot who stepped in, played well which ultimately paved the way for him to get the starts job in Edmonton. So whether its Gage or someone else, what he said is not an untrue statement. It's a big opportunity for Brossoit.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704189 is a reply to message #704185 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Who does Brossoit remind you of more?[ 14 vote(s) ]
1.Joaquin Gage 11 / 79%
2.Cam Talbot 3 / 21%

So...who has faith in LB as a goalie of the future in the NHL?

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704190 is a reply to message #704189 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 11:04

Dubnyk? Not Dubnyk now, but Dubnyk when he was a DERF Oiler. Maybe we should rename it the ORF?

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704215 is a reply to message #704189 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 11:04

I still have some faith.

Oil King bias..

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704220 is a reply to message #704189 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Can I vote for Jeff Druin-Deslaurier?

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704186 is a reply to message #704154 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If you're gonna lose, at least take a few huge runs at Kadri

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704188 is a reply to message #704186 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Got a bad feeling we are going be torched. :(

I will be shocked if this is anything less then a 6-1 win for the stupid leafs.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704192 is a reply to message #704154 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Maybe we should put in Ellis?

How many times have we seen a kid you comes in for their first NHL game play great and steal a win?

I mean usually we see that against the Oilers but sometimes it happens to other teams too.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704195 is a reply to message #704192 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 30 November 2017 11:09

Maybe we should put in Ellis?

How many times have we seen a kid you comes in for their first NHL game play great and steal a win?

I mean usually we see that against the Oilers but sometimes it happens to other teams too.

He could be the Garrett Sparks of the Oilers...right team too!

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704201 is a reply to message #704154 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Another gut-check game for the Oilers, in the position where they've put themselves where every game is a must win near the quarter-mark.

I hope they come to play, if they do....they'll have a chance. If not, they're going to embarrass themselves and their fans again.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #26) [message #704204 is a reply to message #704201 ]
Thu, 30 November 2017 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

I think the worst part of this Talbot injury is that Chiarelli and Co. will bring this 2 week period up as the "biggest reason Oilers missed the Playoffs" at the end of the season.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Historically bad PK...
Next Topic:The get excited thread
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca