F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Drastic MeasuresPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Drastic Measures [message #702962]
Sun, 19 November 2017 00:07 Go to next message
mikeisthird  is currently offline mikeisthird

No Cups

Getting frustrated with what's going on with this team, and I'm wondering about something more significant than line changes that could be done to try and end this slide back to the decade of darkness. Here's a couple ideas for discussion:

1. Fire the coach: If you look at what's going on, there've been some strange decisions in player deployment, and a seeming lack of ability for TMac to get the team motivated to play at any kind of consistent level. If you let him go, is there a good enough option out there to replace him with (Dave Tippett, for example? Would Todd Nelson take a do over?)

2. Make a major upgrade on defence. Could you pry Oliver Ekman-Larsson out of Arizona? Bogosiaan from Buffalo? A trade of this magnitude would require much more than spare parts (not just Khaira or Slepyshev - I'd imagine you're at least letting a high end prospect like Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones or both go, along with a first round pick and maybe more than that. AZ might even want Klefbom.) To me, of our tradeable assets (nobody is interested in Russell or Lucic at their price points), the only untouchable Oilers would be McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot, and I'd say Nurse has played himself into that conversation. Would take a lot to be willing to let go of Nuge, Yamamoto, or Puljujarvi - but that would depend on what's coming back. A major upgrade is going to cost a lot, and with Sekera coming back it might be worth paying a steeper price. Biggest risk is that OEL and Bogosian are both UFA at years end.

3. Make a major move up front. Lowetide has been talking like James Neal would look good here - and that's hard to argue. But could you find a forward from somewhere who could be a real difference maker with this bunch? Would deal with Mtl built around Nuge be the right choice here?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2017 00:18]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Drastic Measures [message #702977 is a reply to message #702962 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

mikeisthird wrote on Sat, 18 November 2017 23:07

Getting frustrated with what's going on with this team, and I'm wondering about something more significant than line changes that could be done to try and end this slide back to the decade of darkness. Here's a couple ideas for discussion:

1. Fire the coach: If you look at what's going on, there've been some strange decisions in player deployment, and a seeming lack of ability for TMac to get the team motivated to play at any kind of consistent level. If you let him go, is there a good enough option out there to replace him with (Dave Tippett, for example? Would Todd Nelson take a do over?)

2. Make a major upgrade on defence. Could you pry Oliver Ekman-Larsson out of Arizona? Bogosiaan from Buffalo? A trade of this magnitude would require much more than spare parts (not just Khaira or Slepyshev - I'd imagine you're at least letting a high end prospect like Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones or both go, along with a first round pick and maybe more than that. AZ might even want Klefbom.) To me, of our tradeable assets (nobody is interested in Russell or Lucic at their price points), the only untouchable Oilers would be McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot, and I'd say Nurse has played himself into that conversation. Would take a lot to be willing to let go of Nuge, Yamamoto, or Puljujarvi - but that would depend on what's coming back. A major upgrade is going to cost a lot, and with Sekera coming back it might be worth paying a steeper price. Biggest risk is that OEL and Bogosian are both UFA at years end.

3. Make a major move up front. Lowetide has been talking like James Neal would look good here - and that's hard to argue. But could you find a forward from somewhere who could be a real difference maker with this bunch? Would deal with Mtl built around Nuge be the right choice here?

Neal should have been a guy the Oilers went after a few years ago, he's a sniper, tough, quick, competes hard, ...unfortunately he's the top guy on the Knights right now, and he's scoring hot, market price is real high, it would cost more than you'd get, plus he is UFA this June, currently making $5M, will want same or more.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Drastic Measures [message #702978 is a reply to message #702962 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Wouldn't mind Nelson back. Just out of principle even, that is one thing this org can actually turn back the clock on after so many regrettable moves. Would go back to Krueger if we could, but he would probably die laughing if the Oilers offered him a HC job again.

Totally resigned to the Oilers not being able to hit another level without a new GM as well. Chia is officially lost. He ignored all his problems last summer and still insists there is nothing wrong. Because of that, I find it hard to see a point talking about trades. Nothing good seems at all like it can realistically happen with the current management.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Drastic Measures [message #702979 is a reply to message #702978 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

5 Cups

Any drastic moves involving players would be a disaster right now, simply because Chia (Lowe / MacT / Howson) would be dealing from a position of weakness and the lack of roster sports. That leaves firing a coach, the coaches, of the GM. You can't fire someone that was hired during the Chia on boarding because that would make the guys that hired him look bad. The only real option is Woodcroft. He's not an OBC guy, he's not a Chia guy. he's a TM guy. That, my friends, is enough separation from the real problems for them to consider it as a stop gap solution.

Woodcroft won't be fired.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Red wine summit in Banff!

Re: Drastic Measures [message #702991 is a reply to message #702979 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Coach needs to be fired yesterday. This group reminds me of the Pens two years ago when they needed to make a coaching change.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703013 is a reply to message #702991 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I don't see an scenario where the coaches are let go mid season. Who are you bringing in? One thing I would like to see and I am surprised that more teams don't do have one is an offense coach. If you look at the massive majority of coaches, they are usually career coaches, ex dmen or journey men guys. You see the odd guy like Weight who was a super offensive guy but most aren't. So I wonder why teams don't have an offense coach or consultant. A guy who knows how to score. Like as an example, Adam Oates is now a big skills coach at more and more players are hiring. Why hasn't a team hired him t work with their guys?

For drastic moves, I would be dangling that 1st rounder big time. Right now it's a lottery pick so it has to be worth a lot. As a team you have to think that you will be improving so that pick will drop.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703015 is a reply to message #703013 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:10

For drastic moves, I would be dangling that 1st rounder big time. Right now it's a lottery pick so it has to be worth a lot. As a team you have to think that you will be improving so that pick will drop.

What are you looking to bring in for that pick?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703017 is a reply to message #703015 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:13

Maybe we could get someone like NJ or the NYI to take it for a scoring winger.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703018 is a reply to message #703017 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:30

Trade a bonafide scoring winger for a whim. Who does that? Even if they get someone it better be a short term rental. Chia has us in cap hell next year. Better hope some of those retirement deals he gave to his buddies pay off.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703021 is a reply to message #703018 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:35

Trade a bonafide scoring winger for a whim. Who does that? Even if they get someone it better be a short term rental. Chia has us in cap hell next year. Better hope some of those retirement deals he gave to his buddies pay off.

That's the question no Chia-booster has been able to answer:

If the Oilers weren't going to compete this year, and it was fine to make the team worse, because it wasn't the window yet - then when exactly are the Oilers going to be competitive?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703022 is a reply to message #703021 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:53

If the Oilers weren't going to compete this year, and it was fine to make the team worse, because it wasn't the window yet - then when exactly are the Oilers going to be competitive?

I don't think they know the answer to that last question. I think they believe it's ordained with McDavid. I can't wait to see what team he wins it with in 10 years or so.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703024 is a reply to message #703022 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:00

I don't think they know the answer to that last question. I think they believe it's ordained with McDavid. I can't wait to see what team he wins it with in 10 years or so.

Might be sooner than that if Spector and Matheson manage to run him out of town...

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703025 is a reply to message #703024 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:03

Might be sooner than that if Spector and Matheson manage to run him out of town...

Too bad fans wouldn't run the media out of that city. Just puppets for the team. Everytime one of them brushes their teeth our Management gets free manicures.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703027 is a reply to message #703025 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:06

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:03

Too bad fans wouldn't run the media out of that city. Just puppets for the team. Everytime one of them brushes their teeth our Management gets free manicures.

Hey, I've been trying. Why anyone trusts the mainstream media now is beyond me. Glorified public relations writers who happen to sell (a smaller and smaller number of) ads. That's it.

Right now, I'd trade the first overall for a puck moving defenseman. They don't exist on the trade market and if they did Chiarelli wouldn't be able to get them.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703033 is a reply to message #703027 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:13

Hey, I've been trying. Why anyone trusts the mainstream media now is beyond me. Glorified public relations writers who happen to sell (a smaller and smaller number of) ads. That's it.

Right now, I'd trade the first overall for a puck moving defenseman. They don't exist on the trade market and if they did Chiarelli wouldn't be able to get them.

Scene - two offices, on either side of the stage, one the workspace of the Oilers' Peter Chiarelli, the other John Chayka's (played by a pimply faced teenager).

PC: "Hi John, I'd really like to shore up our defence, and you're pretty much out of the playoffs already, so I was hoping that I could get some help here. Kevin told me they're moving me to the basement if I don't do something soon. I'm willing to give up my first round pick, which could be a pretty good one this year, because well, my team sucks (who saw that coming???)

JC: "We still need something to build on here. I can't just give up good players. This is going to be a tough year, but I'm really hoping we can use it to build off of and springboard back up the standings. I certainly wouldn't want a decade like this. What are you thinking?"

PC: "Well, I know you have Oliver Ekman-Larsson, he could be really good here with McDavid. Or if that's too much, maybe Alex Goligoski? We could probably make do with him..."

JC: "I don't know..."

JC's Mom (from off-stage): "Johnny! Get off the phone! It's dinner time!"

JC: "Mom! I'm working here! Sorry about that Pete. What were you saying?

PC: "Well, if Goligoski's too much, then maybe we could agree on someone down the roster a little? Jakob Chychrun looked good last year, and he's young...Or you have Cam Dineen scoring a point a game in the OHL..."

JC: "Does an OHL guy even help you? Don't you need help in the near-term?"

PC: "Demers is a guy we actually met...he came to Edmonton and did a tour. Did he tell you that? Kevin took him for a walk around the new rink. They didn't let me come."

JC: "...uh-huh..."

Fade to black.

Scene: Chiarelli addresses the assembled media to announce the trade he's made.

PC: "We felt the team needed a change to spur results. We needed someone who brought some competitive fire, and who we think can help this team in the short term and the long term...and so I'm thrilled to announce that we've dealt Oscar Klefbom to Arizona for Luke Schenn."

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703028 is a reply to message #703025 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:06

The scary thing is that the average Oilers fan listens to those numbnuts. Go to a game in the near future, and it's guaranteed you hear something from some guy near you questioning McDavid's two-way game and his tendency to over-pass.

It also gets echoed around the league - Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) has an article on Sportsnet today and mentions that there are questions on McDavid's two-way game. It does have an influence when these mouth-breathers shoot off like this...especially since the organization does a piss-poor job protecting their players from this garbage.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703045 is a reply to message #703028 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I don't even listen to or have any influence from Edmonton media living here in Newfoundland. But I have watched 80% of Oilers games this year and McDavid is not to blame but he sure is part of the problem. To me he is disinterested and has given up playing for Todd.

Mark my words - this team will have a top 5 draft pick this year.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703048 is a reply to message #703045 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 12:46

I don't even listen to or have any influence from Edmonton media living here in Newfoundland. But I have watched 80% of Oilers games this year and McDavid is not to blame but he sure is part of the problem. To me he is disinterested and has given up playing for Todd.

Could his defensive game be better? Sure
Is EVERY player part of the problem to some degree? Yep.

Is McDavid's 200 foot game in the top 20 reasons why the Oilers are under performing this year? Nope

I hate Oiler fans that focus the whipping on the wrong target, as a group we are great at it. It embarrasses me to be part the "we" that is the collective Oiler fan stupidity sometimes.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703052 is a reply to message #703045 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 11:46

If that were true, then the Oilers should have fired McLellan already. There's no two-ways about it, if McDavid doesn't have faith in the coach, then the coach needs to go. It shouldn't get to the point where players are giving up on the ice for him, and if the best player in the game doesn't have faith that the coach is going to make the team successful, then you need to be listening to him.

I disagree on McDavid though...he's scored 25 points in 20 games. He's on pace for another 100 point season. He plays both ways. He strips pucks. He hits. He's gritty where he needs to be. He takes some risks at times, but the Oilers should want that. His risks are going to result in goals for an awful lot more than goals against. The LAST thing this team needs is a more conservative approach, especially from the only guy the coach gives any latitude to take any risks.

You could be right on the draft pick though...and that should mean that coach and GM are both looking for jobs. But I think CrusaderPi is right...it'll mean one of McLellan's assistant coach buddies gets canned. Maybe the trainer too.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703053 is a reply to message #703052 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

True. Typical coward move. I wanted Todd Nelson and will forever not like Todd Mc ... I know that is juvenile but so be it.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703055 is a reply to message #703053 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

The only reason why I wouldn't go full panic right now is the schedule. The Oilers have only played 3 games against the Pacific division (wins against Calgary and Vegas; loss against Vancouver). If they're better than the Pacific division and win against a weak Pacific division, third place is still doable. Interesting schedule this year. There's only one more games against the Pacific in November (Arizona) and 2 in December. Since I'm looking at the schedule 6 of 10 in January, 8 in February, 7 in March (including a ridiculous LA, Anaheim, Columbus road trip), and 2 in April.

I'm nervous now, but the Oilers aren't dead until they collapse against Pacific competition in January.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703061 is a reply to message #703055 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 11:33

I'm nervous now, but the Oilers aren't dead until they collapse against Pacific competition in January.

Oilers have a worse record after 20 games than any team to make the playoffs since the last lockout. I'm not confident this team will still have a chance by January.

Quote:

@alanhull: W/ loss to DAL, #Oilers officially have a worse record at 20 game mark than any team that has been able to make the post-season since re-alignment following last lockout.

https://twitter.com/alanhull/status/932002670071574528

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703069 is a reply to message #703061 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:40

Oilers have a worse record after 20 games than any team to make the playoffs since the last lockout. I'm not confident this team will still have a chance by January.

Quote:

@alanhull: W/ loss to DAL, #Oilers officially have a worse record at 20 game mark than any team that has been able to make the post-season since re-alignment following last lockout.

I may be grasping at straws and looking for faint hope here (I am) but the fact remains the Oilers only need to beat 5 Pacific teams to make the playoffs and three of them (Van, Ari, Veg) are awful. Beat the hell out of those teams and win the season series with Calgary and one California team means they could still make the playoffs.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703283 is a reply to message #703069 ]
Wed, 22 November 2017 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 14:18

Goose wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:40

Quote:

I may be grasping at straws and looking for faint hope here (I am) but the fact remains the Oilers only need to beat 5 Pacific teams to make the playoffs and three of them (Van, Ari, Veg) are awful. Beat the hell out of those teams and win the season series with Calgary and one California team means they could still make the playoffs.

Oilers have an incredibly tough schedule to start the year and, yes, when the other teams hit tough road trips they may slump and give the Oilers some movement in the standings. But the Oilers aren't even being competitive in the games for the most part. Get the loser point on the road and it's progress. Plus I would not call Vegas awful- they're 9-1 at home, 2nd in the Pac and they just beat LA.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703054 is a reply to message #702978 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 12:57

Wouldn't mind Nelson back. Just out of principle even, that is one thing this org can actually turn back the clock on after so many regrettable moves. Would go back to Krueger if we could, but he would probably die laughing if the Oilers offered him a HC job again.

Totally resigned to the Oilers not being able to hit another level without a new GM as well. Chia is officially lost. He ignored all his problems last summer and still insists there is nothing wrong. Because of that, I find it hard to see a point talking about trades. Nothing good seems at all like it can realistically happen with the current management.

Well, given the record, can you trust Chia in terms of a big trade? I don't think I want to see what he pulls the trigger on next.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703058 is a reply to message #703054 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 12:27

Well, given the record, can you trust Chia in terms of a big trade? I don't think I want to see what he pulls the trigger on next.

I pretty much guarantee that they're flushing either Benning or Klefbom within the next 12 months, which will end up another mistake.

I'm praying that they don't salary dump Nugent-Hopkins and blame the cap...

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703059 is a reply to message #703058 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:25

I pretty much guarantee that they're flushing either Benning or Klefbom within the next 12 months, which will end up another mistake.

I don't see how the Oilers can keep Nugent-Hopkins next season. Trading Klefbom for help up front would just be the cherry on top.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703060 is a reply to message #703059 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:37

I don't see how the Oilers can keep Nugent-Hopkins next season. Trading Klefbom for help up front would just be the cherry on top.

The cap might save us Nuge if the rumoured big jump is true. McLellan obviously really likes Nuge, so there is hope yet Nuge stays our lone survivor of rebuild #2.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703071 is a reply to message #703059 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The issue with Nuge is his contract and the lack of cap space to potentially resign a bunch of RFA's plus a UFA like a Maroon. But do the Oilers actually resign Maroon? You have to think that Maroon is going to command 4+ mill at least. With the league getting faster and faster, can you as a team afford to have both Lucic and Maroon on your team? I am not convinced they can have both. People can disagree with me but I think the Oilers needed Lucic when he signed. They needed a big name free agent to choose Edmonton. They needed a vet that had is rep, his leadership, his experience and to have a guy that in the room he can boss people around and tell them how it is. I don't like the term of the deal but I think Lucic is part of the turn around. With his contract, Lucic is here to stay. The game was getting faster every year but I do think the game has gotten ever faster in the last couple of seasons. I think that has caught some teams off guard which is a misstep by the manager. But in comparing the 2 players, I think Lucic will be able to produce his 20g-50 more times than Maroon. Maroon in 20 games has 5 goals, 12 pts playing entirely with McDavid. Lucic has 3 goal, 12 pts playing without McDavid. Take Maroon away from McDavid, his points will drop significantly. So I could see Maroon being allowed to go in favor of Nuge. The Oilers need more speed on the wings and as much as I like Maroon, he doesn't bring you that.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703074 is a reply to message #703071 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 15:48

The issue with Nuge is his contract and the lack of cap space to potentially resign a bunch of RFA's plus a UFA like a Maroon. But do the Oilers actually resign Maroon? You have to think that Maroon is going to command 4+ mill at least. With the league getting faster and faster, can you as a team afford to have both Lucic and Maroon on your team? I am not convinced they can have both. People can disagree with me but I think the Oilers needed Lucic when he signed. They needed a big name free agent to choose Edmonton. They needed a vet that had is rep, his leadership, his experience and to have a guy that in the room he can boss people around and tell them how it is. I don't like the term of the deal but I think Lucic is part of the turn around. With his contract, Lucic is here to stay. The game was getting faster every year but I do think the game has gotten ever faster in the last couple of seasons. I think that has caught some teams off guard which is a misstep by the manager. But in comparing the 2 players, I think Lucic will be able to produce his 20g-50 more times than Maroon. Maroon in 20 games has 5 goals, 12 pts playing entirely with McDavid. Lucic has 3 goal, 12 pts playing without McDavid. Take Maroon away from McDavid, his points will drop significantly. So I could see Maroon being allowed to go in favor of Nuge. The Oilers need more speed on the wings and as much as I like Maroon, he doesn't bring you that.

Is this post sarcastic? It is actually tough to tell.
You seem to be advocating that RNH be traded to save cap space. Has this year taught you nothing? It seems we should know by know that trading assets that are tough to replace (goal scoring) for lesser players and re-signing players with replaceable skills isnt a recipe for success.

I am already close to apathy when it comes to this team. If PC trades RNH (or Klefbom, Nurse, Benning, JP, KY, etc) for anything less than great value it will be time for me to take a break from the Oilers.

I mentioned this in a previous post but anyone who still defends PC, his moves, his "plan" or any of the BS he is feeding the fans at this point has completely lost it.

This spiral back into complete disarray as a franchise after being gifted McDavid is insane.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703078 is a reply to message #703074 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 15:09

You seem to be advocating that RNH be traded to save cap space. Has this year taught you nothing? It seems we should know by know that trading assets that are tough to replace (goal scoring) for lesser players and re-signing players with replaceable skills isnt a recipe for success.

I am already close to apathy when it comes to this team. If PC trades RNH (or Klefbom, Nurse, Benning, JP, KY, etc) for anything less than great value it will be time for me to take a break from the Oilers.

I mentioned this in a previous post but anyone who still defends PC, his moves, his "plan" or any of the BS he is feeding the fans at this point has completely lost it.

This spiral back into complete disarray as a franchise after being gifted McDavid is insane.

Did you read my post or just automatically jump on it because it's mine? I never once in that post advocated to trade Nuge. All I said was the Oilers have cap problems and if you resign all the RFA's and you resign Maroon, there isn't enough money. So I said maybe the play is to not resign Maroon. and explained why.

I have reread my post 3 times. There is zero mention of trading Nuge or Nuge has to go in that post. Not sure where you think I am advocating to get rid of Nuge. But its not the first time you put words in my mouth and it won't be the last I am sure.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703082 is a reply to message #703078 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 16:56

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 15:09

Did you read my post or just automatically jump on it because it's mine? I never once in that post advocated to trade Nuge. All I said was the Oilers have cap problems and if you resign all the RFA's and you resign Maroon, there isn't enough money. So I said maybe the play is to not resign Maroon. and explained why.

I have reread my post 3 times. There is zero mention of trading Nuge or Nuge has to go in that post. Not sure where you think I am advocating to get rid of Nuge. But its not the first time you put words in my mouth and it won't be the last I am sure.

Easy there. Seems like those panties are crawling back up your butt again. You started your post with
"The issue with Nuge is his contract and the lack of cap space to potentially resign a bunch of RFA's plus a UFA like a Maroon"

So I said
"You seem to be advocating that RNH be traded to save cap space."
I made that assumption given you have said just that many times

I often quote your posts, some times, in detail like I have above, just to avoid putting any words in your mouth.

On that same note, you spew so much garbage, half truths and made up "facts" to defend the moves PC is making it would be really hard to put any worse words in your mouth than the ones I quote.

You really need to calm down. Once again you are the only person who tends to get bent out of shape on a regular basis as if the world is out to get you.
I dont agree with many of your opinions but am forced to sugar coat everything. If anyone so much as says something semi offensive to you I fully expect you to curl up in a ball and cry soon.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703062 is a reply to message #703054 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Absolutely not. He really is terrible at making trades with significant pieces. Sucks to be back waiting for new management again.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703063 is a reply to message #703062 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:43

Absolutely not. He really is terrible at making trades with significant pieces. Sucks to be back waiting for new management again.

You're only saying that because:

Blake Wheeler & Mark Stuart to Atlanta Thrashers for Rich Peverley & Boris Valabik

Phil Kessel to Toronto for 2010 1st rd pick, 2010 2nd rd pick, 2011 1st rd pick (saved by the fact that Toronto had the wheels fall off that year - although Kessel still managed more points with Toronto than all the pieces did with the Bruins)

Tyler Seguin, Ryan Button & Rich Peverley to Dallas Stars for Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow, Matt Fraser & Loui Eriksson (all gone from Bruins for nothing now)

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Has he ever had a major trade that's gone in his favour?

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703066 is a reply to message #703063 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:52

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:43

You're only saying that because:

Blake Wheeler & Mark Stuart to Atlanta Thrashers for Rich Peverley & Boris Valabik

Phil Kessel to Toronto for 2010 1st rd pick, 2010 2nd rd pick, 2011 1st rd pick (saved by the fact that Toronto had the wheels fall off that year - although Kessel still managed more points with Toronto than all the pieces did with the Bruins)

Tyler Seguin, Ryan Button & Rich Peverley to Dallas Stars for Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow, Matt Fraser & Loui Eriksson (all gone from Bruins for nothing now)

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Has he ever had a major trade that's gone in his favour?

I think I'm very much on the record that I give him a pass for the Hall/Larsson move though :) Although, it's kind of like MacT drafting Drai. I can give a little too much credit. With Hall/Larsson I gave the benefit of the doubt that the position of weakness he was in and how badly we've devalued our players with failures, it was pretty close to the value he had to take. Maybe true, but didn't take him long to show again that he just sucks at negotiating, and not just with trades. His only really successful negotiation with a big name came by letting McDavid talk himself out of 13.5M AAV. Regardless, Larsson is filling that gaping hole, and he and Nurse are one of the very few bright spots this year. Result OK, especially by Chia standards.

Kinda like MacT with Drai. Such a bullet dodged taking Drai over Bennett. But, how much credit should he really get? MacT's main reason for taking Drai was just because he was the most "NHL ready" guy, and he thought he didn't have to find a #2C because Drai was just gonna jump in. He was 100% wrong and tanked another season partly because of it, lost his job too. Who knows, if he had a solid top 2C group already, maybe taking the long view would have landed us Bennett. Result was good, reason it happened wasn't that impressive.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 November 2017 14:27]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703086 is a reply to message #702962 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Todd McLellan is not going anywhere he’s a Nicholson hire.... But PC on a short leash......APG

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Could also see some movement within the organization.......APG

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Talks with Maroon are currently off and his name has come up in discussions.....APG

And for things that actually happened. Oilers scouts at the Columbus/Buffalo game. Wonder if we would go after Kane. Buffalo's season is for real dead now.

One more for Goose :)

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Chairelli and McLellan were at odds about @jeberle_7 trade McLellan was worried about losing the leadership he brought.....APG

[Updated on: Tue, 21 November 2017 07:46]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703090 is a reply to message #703086 ]
Tue, 21 November 2017 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 20:43

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Todd McLellan is not going anywhere he’s a Nicholson hire.... But PC on a short leash......APG

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Could also see some movement within the organization.......APG

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Talks with Maroon are currently off and his name has come up in discussions.....APG

And for things that actually happened. Oilers scouts at the Columbus/Buffalo game. Wonder if we would go after Kane. Buffalo's season is for real dead now.

One more for Goose :)

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Chairelli and McLellan were at odds about @jeberle_7 trade McLellan was worried about losing the leadership he brought.....APG

Does anyone know if there is a running count on how many rumors that Tracy spews that actually end up happening? I usually check Tracy just because I find what she says funny.

The first 3 rumors I can see having maybe some truth, how much remains to be seen of course.

McLellan: I don't see him getting fired. Who do you replace him with at this point plus he help lead the Oilers to the playoffs last year, 103 pts and I think he was up for an award was he not? So you have to think he would get some slack. Plus with all the coaches the Oilers have hired and fired before him, you need some continuity at some point. Maybe an assistant gets fired but I think he stays.

Chia maybe has less slack just because he built the team. The moves he made in the previous offseasons, the majority seemed to work. This past offseason so far the moves he made don't look too good.

Organizational moves I could see happening. I would think Mac T's contract would be up. I don't even know what he does. Same goes for Howson. Maybe someone on the pro scouting side?

Maroon contract I could see there being issues on what to pay him. I like Maroon a lot but he to me is a pure product of playing with McDavid. In saying that, 12 pts playing with McDavid isn't enough. He's gone on long streaks of no points. Plus I said in another thread, with the game getting faster and Lucic being locked in here. I am not so sure they can have both of them anymore. I don't think Maroon is worth anymore than 4 mill on a 3 yr deal and I could easily see him getting more money or term with another team.

The coach and GM being at odds about Eberle's leadership I think is complete BS. McLellan was calling out Eberle all last season. He was hammering him in the playoffs, he demoted him. Wasn't Eberle at one point in the playoffs on the 4th line? I can't remember. If Eberle was one of McLellan's boys, he doesn't do that. Chia was being a lot more diplomatic about Eberle than McLellan during the year. It wasn't until the offseason when it was time to try build up some sort of value so they could trade Eberle that McLellan said anything nice about him.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 November 2017 08:28]

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703091 is a reply to message #703090 ]
Tue, 21 November 2017 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 November 2017 08:25

Chia maybe has less slack just because he built the team. The moves he made in the previous offseasons, the majority seemed to work. This past offseason so far the moves he made don't look too good.

Organizational moves I could see happening. I would think Mac T's contract would be up. I don't even know what he does. Same goes for Howson. Maybe someone on the pro scouting side?

MacTavish's contract ended last June. He's still here, one would assume on a new contract.

Howson's contract ended the year before and the Oilers announced he wasn't going to be back, then immediately brought him back. There's some speculation that the announcement was always just a smokescreen and he never really left the organization, but was "contracting" for the year. He now has a new title, and one would assume, a new contract.

No one knows what they do, but they are in hockey ops, they attend all the functions. I think it's safe to assume the Oilers believe they have an advantage over other teams because not only do we have a GM, but we have three former GMs who sit in all the meetings with him and weigh in. Sadly, they're all four pretty poor GMs...and the team would probably be better off with a single guy who has some aptitude for the job.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703095 is a reply to message #703091 ]
Tue, 21 November 2017 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 November 2017 08:42

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 November 2017 08:25

MacTavish's contract ended last June. He's still here, one would assume on a new contract.

Howson's contract ended the year before and the Oilers announced he wasn't going to be back, then immediately brought him back. There's some speculation that the announcement was always just a smokescreen and he never really left the organization, but was "contracting" for the year. He now has a new title, and one would assume, a new contract.

No one knows what they do, but they are in hockey ops, they attend all the functions. I think it's safe to assume the Oilers believe they have an advantage over other teams because not only do we have a GM, but we have three former GMs who sit in all the meetings with him and weigh in. Sadly, they're all four pretty poor GMs...and the team would probably be better off with a single guy who has some aptitude for the job.

I thought Mac T's was up this season. My mistake. Thanks for letting me know.

You won't get an argument out of me about those 2. When Mac T was fired/demoted or whatever you want to call it, I was shocked he would stay. I like the idea of having lots of sets of eyes on decisions but keeping around guys who previous did a job but didn't do it overly well doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Re: Drastic Measures [message #703098 is a reply to message #703091 ]
Tue, 21 November 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 November 2017 08:42

Reading this depresses me even more so. MacT is pro scouting by the way to take the place of Semenko who was demoted from a pro scout to a team ambassador. I miss that big lug he sure loved being with the fans at the game.

They shuffle the deck chairs and tell us things are different. We fans have no control in how the organization is run, except with our dollar. There is nothing to do in Edmonton during the winter besides our hockey team so the vicious cycle goes.

It's maddening.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Predictions for 2018
Next Topic:Brandon Davidson on Waivers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca