This day on November 20
None

Happy Birthday To: d_ottosen, lambofgad, Ofer, JayStyles, oilpride5

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702432]
Tue, 14 November 2017 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   91%
Las Vegas to win:   9%
43 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Tuesday, November 14, 2017Las Vegas 2 @ Edmonton 8Win
Saturday, January 13, 2018Edmonton @ Las Vegas
Thursday, February 15, 2018Edmonton @ Las Vegas
Thursday, April 5, 2018Las Vegas @ Edmonton
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 1-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 8/0 Total: 8
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/0 Total: 2

2016-17 Regular Season
Home Record: 0-0-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 0-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 0/0 Total: 0
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/0 Total: 0

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702434 is a reply to message #702432 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I would call this a must win game.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702435 is a reply to message #702434 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 08:41

https://i.imgur.com/507Z0X0.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702437 is a reply to message #702435 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 08:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 08:41

https://i.imgur.com/507Z0X0.gif

There are no small games.

Your reigning, defending, undisputed, and two time NHL Survivor Champion!

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702438 is a reply to message #702432 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

5 of 8 points on the eastern trip is fine.
To start climbing back into a playoff spot we have to start beating western teams, preferably in regulation

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702439 is a reply to message #702432 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hard work vs high end skill sprinkled on a pile of confusion. Who will emerge victorious?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702441 is a reply to message #702439 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The Oilers have to win this game in regulation. Talbot needs to be Talbot at home. They are playing a team with their 4th string goalie in net. I don't know how Vegas has won all these games, maybe teams have taken them lightly because I am baffled by their record. But the Oilers are in no position to take this game lightly what so ever. Vegas doesn't have elite players, they have a defense full of 4's and 5's and as I said a 4th string goalie. McDavid should be able to blow by these guys on every shift. Leon should be able to do what ever he wants. Nuge should be better than 3/4 of the entire Vegas team. Lucic and Maroon need to go to the net and rag doll a few Vegas guys if needed. The Oilers need to come out hard, go to the net and keep the foot on the gas.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702442 is a reply to message #702439 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 09:35

Hard work vs high end skill sprinkled on a pile of confusion. Who will emerge victorious?

The team with more Sweat Equity.

It's the new Chop Wood, Carry Water.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702467 is a reply to message #702439 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 09:35

DUFFMAN is calling an 8-0 victory for the Knights.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702443 is a reply to message #702432 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

You know its funny, before the season started I thought the Golden Knights would be lucky to have 20 wins. Well, they have 10 already and have done significantly better than the Oilers. I cannot believe the Oilers are going into tonight's game as an underdog against an expansion team. icon_frown

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702444 is a reply to message #702443 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oilers lines for tonight. Sounds like Caggulia is taking the morning skate but won't play.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Pakarinen
Malone-Letestu-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Benning
Auvitu-Russell

I wonder if we will ever see what Auvitu supposedly brings at some point. I am still trying to figure out why he was signed. He can't defend, isn't physical, isn't tough, doesn't have a single point, gets no PP time. Anyone know what he does?

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702445 is a reply to message #702444 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 11:56

I wonder if we will ever see what Auvitu supposedly brings at some point. I am still trying to figure out why he was signed. He can't defend, isn't physical, isn't tough, doesn't have a single point, gets no PP time. Anyone know what he does?

I tried to watch him fairly close last game and he was fairly invisible, but in a good way. It was simply the "eye test" but he seemed to be skating better, denying easy entries into our zone and not allowing much for scoring chances.
I didn't really take notice of who he was matched up against but the third pairing didn't seem as prone to constant scares.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702446 is a reply to message #702445 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 11:14

I tried to watch him fairly close last game and he was fairly invisible, but in a good way. It was simply the "eye test" but he seemed to be skating better, denying easy entries into our zone and not allowing much for scoring chances.
I didn't really take notice of who he was matched up against but the third pairing didn't seem as prone to constant scares.

I was just curious, thanks. The Oilers this season seem to have a lot of guys who are just there on the ice not doing a whole lot.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2017 11:29]

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702447 is a reply to message #702446 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 12:24

I was just curious, thanks. The Oilers this season seem to have a lot of guys who are just there on the ice not doing a whole lot.

I agree.
In the case of the third pairing D, whoever that is, I am ok with it. If they can avoid leaking high danger shots I think they can be called a success. While puck moving and attacking would be great at all times it is fine by me if the third pairing simply holds down the fort for 15 or so mins a game while the top 4 produce/shut down the other teams top attackers.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702448 is a reply to message #702447 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

The only time I noticed Auvitu last game was when Brooks Orpik skated around him like he wasn't there.
Brooks Orpik.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702449 is a reply to message #702447 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 11:27

I agree.
In the case of the third pairing D, whoever that is, I am ok with it. If they can avoid leaking high danger shots I think they can be called a success. While puck moving and attacking would be great at all times it is fine by me if the third pairing simply holds down the fort for 15 or so mins a game while the top 4 produce/shut down the other teams top attackers.

What you said definitely has some truth to it. I just wonder in the case of Auvitu, if all your want from him is to basically not leak chances, why sign the guy at all? In a limited role, Gryba is capable of playing solid from time to time but you definitely don't want him playing all the time. So play Simpson some of the time or even Stanton. Stanton has 120 NHL games. I just basically see the Auvitu signing as a waste of 700K and a roster spot.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702450 is a reply to message #702449 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 12:34

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 11:27

I agree.

What you said definitely has some truth to it. I just wonder in the case of Auvitu, if all your want from him is to basically not leak chances, why sign the guy at all? In a limited role, Gryba is capable of playing solid from time to time but you definitely don't want him playing all the time. So play Simpson some of the time or even Stanton. Stanton has 120 NHL games. I just basically see the Auvitu signing as a waste of 700K and a roster spot.

Ya, I am definitely not defending the signing. He is one of the group of low cost but low potential signings PC made that dont seem to have a purpose.
While he isnt a great skater he is a better skater than Gryba but brings next to nothing physically. Maybe they will each fill that spot depending on the type of team being played.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702452 is a reply to message #702445 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Auvitu didn't look to bad to me either. Need a guy that can just make some simple passes in your end if he's playing with Russell. Auvitu kept it simple and the pair did pretty well. Russell and Gryba has far more excellent own zone tire fire potential.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702453 is a reply to message #702452 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 12:19

Auvitu didn't look to bad to me either. Need a guy that can just make some simple passes in your end if he's playing with Russell. Auvitu kept it simple and the pair did pretty well. Russell and Gryba has far more excellent own zone tire fire potential.

They just signed him to be a poor man's Sekera for the short while that we don't have the real Sekera.

I would have preferred a better defenceman, but then I wouldn't have raced to re-sign Russell or Gryba either and looked to upgrade all across the bottom of the defence.

As for why they're not using right-shot puck-moving defencemen more consistently on the powerplay units, I have no idea. It's bizarre to me that Benning and Russell have close to the same amount of playing time on the second unit.

I wouldn't use Auvitu over Benning on the PP right now, unless he has a laser shot that we just haven't yet seen. However, I'd definitely put him out there over Russell, who shoots the wrong way and has rarely been a big point producer in the NHL.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702462 is a reply to message #702453 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Vegas wins this one 3-0. 2 goals from Perron.

I see SN has PC on the hot seat or warm seat. He should be and if this season continues to flop - I hope new leadership shows that the old way is over and fire him.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702463 is a reply to message #702432 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

This is probably the first actually important game of the season. If the Oilers are going to make the playoffs they've got to finish ahead of Las Vegas. That makes this a true four point game. A regulation loss puts the Oilers 9 points behind the Golden Knights, which isn't insurmountable since Vegas is actually an awful team, but being only 5 points back an potentially tied for 6th in the division is a much better place to be.

Especially when you consider the schedule coming. St. Louis at home then a tough five game in 9 day road trip to Dallas, Detroit, StL, Buffalo, and Boston makes a comfy home game against an expansion team border on being actually a must win. Truthfully a loss to Vegas and a bad road trip (1-4, 1-3-1) could be the end of the season.

To quote myself, 5 seconds ago...

"if you find yourself standing upon a razor's edge you can't slip" -CrusaderPi, 2017

Your reigning, defending, undisputed, and two time NHL Survivor Champion!

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702465 is a reply to message #702463 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 15:10

This is probably the first actually important game of the season. If the Oilers are going to make the playoffs they've got to finish ahead of Las Vegas. That makes this a true four point game. A regulation loss puts the Oilers 9 points behind the Golden Knights, which isn't insurmountable since Vegas is actually an awful team, but being only 5 points back an potentially tied for 6th in the division is a much better place to be.

Especially when you consider the schedule coming. St. Louis at home then a tough five game in 9 day road trip to Dallas, Detroit, StL, Buffalo, and Boston makes a comfy home game against an expansion team border on being actually a must win. Truthfully a loss to Vegas and a bad road trip (1-4, 1-3-1) could be the end of the season.

"if you find yourself standing upon a razor's edge you can't slip" -CrusaderPi, 2017

This is a statement game. If the Oilers can't get up for it, then I don't think they've got a chance this year. There's no reason for them to take any team lightly - we're among the worst in the league again and this team has twice the wins we do. If they don't come out flying, then there's something seriously wrong.

They should have the petal down the entire night. There is no excuse for trapping up a game against an expansion team. They're the ones who'll want to clog up the game, so the Oilers have to avoid that and let the skill shine through.

On an unrelated note, I'm happy to see Perron doing well (he'd be second on the Oilers in points right now with 14). He gave his all while he was here, and was one of the few who seemed critical of Eakins as a coach. Unfortunately, that led to him being traded away, but at least we got Klinkhammer out of the deal!

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702469 is a reply to message #702465 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Klinkhammer AND the first round pick that was instrumental to making Griffin Reinhart an Oiler/eventual Golden Knight! The real winner of the Perron trade is Vegas.

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702470 is a reply to message #702469 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 15:59

Klinkhammer AND the first round pick that was instrumental to making Griffin Reinhart an Oiler/eventual Golden Knight! The real winner of the Perron trade is Vegas.

Don't anyone be knocking Klinkhammer. For all we know, he might be on the Canadian Olympic team. icon_lol He and Scrivens.

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702471 is a reply to message #702470 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 16:04

Don't anyone be knocking Klinkhammer. For all we know, he might be on the Canadian Olympic team. icon_lol He and Scrivens.

Gilbert Brule, Teddy Purcell, Rob Klinkhammer and Ben Scrivens all hugging and celebrating Olympic Gold Medals while Connor McDavid is watching at home on TV.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702472 is a reply to message #702471 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 16:41 Go to previous message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 16:12

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 16:04

Gilbert Brule, Teddy Purcell, Rob Klinkhammer and Ben Scrivens all hugging and celebrating Olympic Gold Medals while Connor McDavid is watching at home on TV.

Yeah, I don't like Canada's chances of gold medal this year...

Re: Pregame: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #702466 is a reply to message #702463 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 November 2017 15:10

If the Oilers play well, they can go on a run. If you look at the teams they play, other than St. Louis, none of them are world beaters and St. Louis got their butts kicked by the mediocre Flames so personally I think they aren't that good either. But they need to pull their head out of there butts and play like they can.

McDavid needs to go McDavid. McLellan either needs to pat him on the shoulder and tell him in his ear "it's time" or "we've spotted everyone enough points now". Whatever he needs to tell him to release the McDavid, it needs to happen. McDavid has been good but not great in my opinion. Same goes for Leon. Someone needs to start poking Leon or telling bad German jokes or something to make him mad.

For all those who complained about Lucic scoring too many PP points last season. He's got 1 PP point and 9 even strength. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!! icon_lol Whoever complained, take it back right now. The Oilers PP needs him to do whatever the hell he was doing last year. Who cares how any player gets some goals or points, just score some freaking goals please!!

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2017 15:54]

Previous Topic:GDT: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca