This day on November 20
None

Happy Birthday To: d_ottosen, lambofgad, Ofer, JayStyles, oilpride5

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702373]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 36%
Washington to win: 64%
42 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702376 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Seriously. Letesu in the shootout. Oh my.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702380 is a reply to message #702376 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 12 November 2017 18:49

Were's Hendricks when you need him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702401 is a reply to message #702380 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

This team couldn't shoot its way out if a paper bag.

"Nothing but stellar goaltending by a paper bag tonight. Vezina-caliber netminding."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702405 is a reply to message #702401 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 08:58

This team couldn't shoot its way out if a paper bag.

"Nothing but stellar goaltending by a paper bag tonight. Vezina-caliber netminding."

Lowest scoring team in the league, despite being one of the highest-shooting rate teams in the league. After a while, you really have to stop blaming luck and looking at how you're generating your shots.

I'm finding recently that other than when McDavid is on a rush, there's nothing attractive about how the Oilers play the game. It's a very boring, super safe system. No risk-taking allowed, get it back to the point and have them shoot - despite the fact we have very few big shots on our blueline.

3-on-3 is exciting with the team, but they don't even try to be creative like that at even strength, and even on the powerplay, you almost never see anyone try anything. I believe that is one of the issues - it's easy to expect what the Oilers are going to do, because you don't see McDavid or Draisaitl ever step out of their designated spots, deke a defender and put a puck on the net. Rather, they statically move the puck around. I always think of Doug Weight on the half-boards and how he always seemed to have a 6-foot radius of space around him, because when he was challenged there, he would walk around the player and attack the goal. We're not seeing McDavid afforded that same respect, which is insane, because he has the talent to make people look stupid.

It's showing up in other places too...I heard last night that the Oilers have drawn only 47 minor penalties this year, dead last in the league. Maybe some of that is reffing, but I'm not seeing fouls ignored like it was in the playoffs against Anaheim. Rather, I just don't think the forwards are attacking the net, so players aren't taking penalties out of desperation to stop them.

All-in-all, it was an adequate road trip. 5 points was probably the bare minimum that they needed to take out of the swing, but we're still a long ways back from respectability, and I don't think that the underlying systems problems look to be fixed here yet.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702382 is a reply to message #702376 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 12 November 2017 19:49

Like, why?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702383 is a reply to message #702376 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 12 November 2017 19:49

Yeah, that's the PP trigger-man, so.... Seriously, probably would trot out Nuge, JP, and probably Strome before Letestu. LB wasn't bad, Drai hit a post, and not great by Connor.

5 of 8 points on the trip, better than what proceeded it. Need regulation wins in the West.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702377 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Much better looking defensive game. I think Benning has been better the last few games and Nurse has been unbelievable. If Klefbom and Larsson can get back on track the top will look much better.

5 out of 8 points on the road trip isn't too bad. Hopefully something to build on.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702378 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie_Oil  is currently offline Aussie_Oil

No Cups

Lestestu has been a pylon for a few games now and you put him out on the shoot out... crazy Are you crazy ? Yet another questionable decision from our coaching.

But hey, we came away with 5/8 points on this road trip so really not bad. A good showing from a game yesterday. Absolute garbage call on Nuge in the OT... way to ruin a good game stripes

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702381 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

They played well enough to win but..... no luck again. Nurse and Nuge had very good games and Mc David as well. Choked in the shoot out. Cheap call at the end of overtime!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702385 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Think we have 95% confirmed the Letestu magic was all used up last season. He very well may have been secretly stealing skill from Ebs while Eberle slept all last year.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702392 is a reply to message #702385 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2017 20:00

Think we have 95% confirmed the Letestu magic was all used up last season. He very well may have been secretly stealing skill from Ebs while Eberle slept all last year.

I disagree. Letestu definitely looks out of shape though. He's slower on the rush, slower moving to openings and slower coming back. I don't think it's a talent drop however. Reminds me of when Penner blamed a summer of "barley pops" for his bad play. That said, there are a few other Oilers who look slower and heavier too.

Conversely Nuge looks heavier but faster - like he had a workout summer. Throwing his weight around while retaining his speed. Loving it.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"That Russian is still wondering where the puck is." - Foster Hewitt, Sept 4, 1972

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702408 is a reply to message #702392 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 05:45

I disagree. Letestu definitely looks out of shape though. He's slower on the rush, slower moving to openings and slower coming back. I don't think it's a talent drop however. Reminds me of when Penner blamed a summer of "barley pops" for his bad play. That said, there are a few other Oilers who look slower and heavier too.

Conversely Nuge looks heavier but faster - like he had a workout summer. Throwing his weight around while retaining his speed. Loving it.

I don't know, he looks like the same Letestu to me, except no longer super clutch in every scoring situation. That's really all he did last year that was spectacular, save Woodcroft's PP genius reputation, and do good in the shootout. Aside from that magic he's just an average defensive player, decent faceoff guy, and has zero playmaking ability. Without the magic, he is just back to being a ~20 or so point guy that you don't want to play more than 15 or so mins a night and don't want to drain the soul of any of your offensive wingers by playing them with him 5v5.

His first season with us he had 13 points aside from PP. Basically just back to that player now, he has 0 so far hehe, but he will get some lucky nights here and there still. If he keeps getting PP time, he can break 20 points again probably, but I'd like to see Pulju tried in his PP spot if Pulju keeps playing well.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2017 10:07]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702411 is a reply to message #702408 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 10:04

I don't know, he looks like the same Letestu to me, except no longer super clutch in every scoring situation. That's really all he did last year that was spectacular, save Woodcroft's PP genius reputation, and do good in the shootout. Aside from that magic he's just an average defensive player, decent faceoff guy, and has zero playmaking ability. Without the magic, he is just back to being a ~20 or so point guy that you don't want to play more than 15 or so mins a night and don't want to drain the soul of any of your offensive wingers by playing them with him 5v5.

His first season with us he had 13 points aside from PP. Basically just back to that player now, he has 0 so far hehe, but he will get some lucky nights here and there still. If he keeps getting PP time, he can break 20 points again probably, but I'd like to see Pulju tried in his PP spot if Pulju keeps playing well.

If you were an opposing team who was wondering how to stop the powerplay of the Oilers, you probably pay attention to the fact that last year, the whole thing was designed around getting the only right-shot on the first unit the puck in a shooting position. The unit has McDavid on the half-boards, Draisaitl below the goal-line, Lucic static in front of the net, Klefbom at the top and Letestu standing in the far face-off circle waiting for the one-timer.

Klefbom can't one-time easily, since the puck is going to be coming across his body, so if he's shooting, it is stop, set, shoot through traffic. Occasionally, there will be a jam play from Draisaitl, but more often, it's just passing between 77, 97, and 29 as they try to open up a seam across. McDavid is rarely stepping in to a shot there, so the defenders just try to harass them and to keep that seam from really opening up.

It's a very predictable unit that hasn't done much different at all in two years. Like everything McLellan touches, there seems to be a great hesitation about making any adjustments. Certainly nothing in game, and very little - other than who the bodies are out there - on a game-to-game basis. Since everyone doesn't move much, it's easier for opposing teams to position so as to take away the best looks. Individual plays and improvisations could make the difference...but we rarely see those under McLellan.

And you have two players out on the PP in Lucic and Letestu who aren't really much good at controlling the set-up or doing more than exactly what's asked from them in the current system. If you had more talent out there, you could occasionally flip the system so that you control from the left half-wall and suddenly McDavid becomes the shooter.

By this time last year, people (including McLellan) were already souring on Eberle on the top unit, so maybe we see something happen with personnel here in the next little while if the powerplay remains mediocre. Maybe you do see Puljujarvi out there. He's got a little more speed and finesse than Letestu, so maybe it'll help, although I do think that the adjustment needed is more than just who's on the units.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702420 is a reply to message #702411 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 10:27

I disagree. Letestu definitely looks out of shape though.

I don't know, he looks like the same Letestu to me, except no longer super clutch in every scoring situation.

And you have two players out on the PP in Lucic and Letestu who aren't really much good at controlling the set-up or doing more than exactly what's asked from them in the current system.

The special teams' system worked last year because the Oilers were so aggressive as well as quick to set up and cycle both the puck and themselves. This year they look like they're doggin' it.

My belief is still that some members were/are unprepared physically (and probably mentally) to compete this season and are capable of playing at a much higher level. Klef and Letestu are -8 and that stat is away from the special teams numbers so I don't think it's a special teams' coaching failure.

I will concede that you guys might be right and the whole darn season might be regressing to 2015 levels because, well, it might be the culture here.

"That Russian is still wondering where the puck is." - Foster Hewitt, Sept 4, 1972

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702421 is a reply to message #702411 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 10:27

If you were an opposing team who was wondering how to stop the powerplay of the Oilers, you probably pay attention to the fact that last year, the whole thing was designed around getting the only right-shot on the first unit the puck in a shooting position. The unit has McDavid on the half-boards, Draisaitl below the goal-line, Lucic static in front of the net, Klefbom at the top and Letestu standing in the far face-off circle waiting for the one-timer.

Klefbom can't one-time easily, since the puck is going to be coming across his body, so if he's shooting, it is stop, set, shoot through traffic. Occasionally, there will be a jam play from Draisaitl, but more often, it's just passing between 77, 97, and 29 as they try to open up a seam across. McDavid is rarely stepping in to a shot there, so the defenders just try to harass them and to keep that seam from really opening up.

It's a very predictable unit that hasn't done much different at all in two years. Like everything McLellan touches, there seems to be a great hesitation about making any adjustments. Certainly nothing in game, and very little - other than who the bodies are out there - on a game-to-game basis. Since everyone doesn't move much, it's easier for opposing teams to position so as to take away the best looks. Individual plays and improvisations could make the difference...but we rarely see those under McLellan.

And you have two players out on the PP in Lucic and Letestu who aren't really much good at controlling the set-up or doing more than exactly what's asked from them in the current system. If you had more talent out there, you could occasionally flip the system so that you control from the left half-wall and suddenly McDavid becomes the shooter.

By this time last year, people (including McLellan) were already souring on Eberle on the top unit, so maybe we see something happen with personnel here in the next little while if the powerplay remains mediocre. Maybe you do see Puljujarvi out there. He's got a little more speed and finesse than Letestu, so maybe it'll help, although I do think that the adjustment needed is more than just who's on the units.

The way that I look at it when it comes to putting Puljujarvi on the PP. Why not? I don't see the harm in trying it. What's the worst that can happen, it continue to not produce? The PP wasn't working with Eberle last year so they swapped Letestu for Eberle and it took off for whatever reason. Maybe if you inject some new blood in Puljujarvi in Letestu's spot and all you tell him to do is stand there and shoot the puck, it would work.

When Slep comes back, I would put him on a unit as well. He's a right shot and he's got a good shot, put him on a unit. Why the hell not? The guys who have going right now aren't pissing a drop so try someone else.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702398 is a reply to message #702385 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I agree. He doesn't look like the same player. I didn't expect Letestu to duplicate what he did last year but I didn't think he would fall off the earth. I guess the positive is it makes it easier not to resign him. Last year with his role, his PK work and his PP goals, I thought he was really good value. This season given his struggles and with his PP goals drying up, he's a pretty expensive 4th line center. You can definitely trim off about 900k to get a replacement.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702386 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Letestu is becoming a liability out there at center, too slow. Nurse has to watch it if he's out there with him if he ever decides to go on an excursion in the O-zone, his center won't be able to cover for him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702387 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Decent road trip. Better PK and we could've had 7/8 points, so I sincerely hope the org is looking at what Woodcroft is doing.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702388 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Everyone played hard, a very tidy game by their D and a good game from LB. I mean it’s a shame their offence isn’t clicking, the team is playing well they just aren’t scoring. Decent road trip.

Letestu in the shootout was a terrible coaching decision. I strongly dislike McLellan and hope to hell he gets s**t canned at some point, they will never get to the promised land with him at the helm.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702389 is a reply to message #702388 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

philly boy wrote on Sun, 12 November 2017 20:18

Everyone played hard, a very tidy game by their D and a good game from LB. I mean it’s a shame their offence isn’t clicking, the team is playing well they just aren’t scoring. Decent road trip.

Letestu in the shootout was a terrible coaching decision. I strongly dislike McLellan and hope to hell he gets s**t canned at some point, they will never get to the promised land with him at the helm.

It seems increasingly obvious to me that our coaching is a problem in all areas. The question becomes what, if anything, our management is willing to do about it.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702391 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Sun, 12 November 2017 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

With the way Nuge has been playing you would think he would get the nod in the shoot out. He does have some skill you know Mclellan. He just keeps going to the big guns and teacher`s pet pluggers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702393 is a reply to message #702373 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Five out of eight points is acceptable.

Lots of good tonight but a few coaching decisions and players that were disappointing.

Strome has shown nothing and Letestu looks like he's skating in cement. As a coach, why would either of these players see the ice in overtime or shootout? Bad call. Let's reward mediocre play.

If Chia does nothing about secondary scoring soon they'll be planning golf trips by Christmas.

Bring on the Golden (Showers) Knights.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702395 is a reply to message #702393 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stotto wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 06:50

Five out of eight points is acceptable.

Lots of good tonight but a few coaching decisions and players that were disappointing.

Strome has shown nothing and Letestu looks like he's skating in cement. As a coach, why would either of these players see the ice in overtime or shootout? Bad call. Let's reward mediocre play.

If Chia does nothing about secondary scoring soon they'll be planning golf trips by Christmas.

Bring on the Golden (Showers) Knights.

I'm curious who you would play in overtime...There's really only three forwards that are automatics on the Oilers now. If it goes more than a minute, then you have to play some other guys.

I don't think Strome is a bad choice, because he can at least skate. Letestu's not my favourite person to see jump the boards, but when you trade all your skilled forwards away, and your coach doesn't trust young players, then what do you expect?

As for Letestu in the shootout, I believe he's got a decent conversion rate historically. First shootout of the year, so no one with much of a track record yet. I'm really critical of McLellan - I think he doesn't coach with any killer instinct and coaches the life out of the game and the team - but I don't have any big beef with those choices.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702402 is a reply to message #702395 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Man that goalie interference that cost Lucic a goal was WEAK!! I know that Nuge's skate and Holtby's touched ever so slightly but that has to be one of THE best sell jobs in a while. There is no way that ever so slight touch impacted Holtby's potential ability to stop a puck. He wasn't trying to make a save, he was going 100% after the goalie interference. I really hate that players abuse the rules and the league allows it. You think about the mauling that Talbot got in the playoffs and the league and refs wanted Talbot to "play through it" when players are pushing him out of the goal, pulling on his pads and laying on him when the games mean 10 times more than game 17. Then you watch Holtby fall down like he was body checked and he doesn't even try to make a save.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702404 is a reply to message #702402 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 09:59

Man that goalie interference that cost Lucic a goal was WEAK!! I know that Nuge's skate and Holtby's touched ever so slightly but that has to be one of THE best sell jobs in a while. There is no way that ever so slight touch impacted Holtby's potential ability to stop a puck. He wasn't trying to make a save, he was going 100% after the goalie interference. I really hate that players abuse the rules and the league allows it. You think about the mauling that Talbot got in the playoffs and the league and refs wanted Talbot to "play through it" when players are pushing him out of the goal, pulling on his pads and laying on him when the games mean 10 times more than game 17. Then you watch Holtby fall down like he was body checked and he doesn't even try to make a save.

I cant remember if Talbot himself brought this up or if it was just discussed but Talbot has been one who doesn't embellish and go for the call. There are a lot of goalies now who hit the ice at the first slight touch they feel.
I cant remember who it was but last season a goalie did that and got up waiving his arms at the ref, turns out it was his D man that touched him.

I would like to see the refs start handing out the unsportsmanlike/diving penalty to goalies who are blatantly flailing around when it was clear the contact they felt wasn't enough to cause the reaction.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702407 is a reply to message #702404 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 09:05

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 09:59

I cant remember if Talbot himself brought this up or if it was just discussed but Talbot has been one who doesn't embellish and go for the call. There are a lot of goalies now who hit the ice at the first slight touch they feel.
I cant remember who it was but last season a goalie did that and got up waiving his arms at the ref, turns out it was his D man that touched him.

I would like to see the refs start handing out the unsportsmanlike/diving penalty to goalies who are blatantly flailing around when it was clear the contact they felt wasn't enough to cause the reaction.

I would love that as well. I just like to see consistency. I personally would like to see the rules enforced but if you want players to "play through" stuff, then do it. If a player is on top of a goalie or pushing you, or blocking your leg from moving. Call goalie interference but if you are way at the top of the paint, almost in or in the white ice and you have incidental contact, tough luck, battle through it. But regardless, go one way or the other and be black and white. You either need to be mauled or any contact at all. I can't stand the grey area BS.

I thought this past game was fairly clean but how you can give 1 team 3 pp's and another team none and the majority of the penalties you have to the Oilers were weak is mind boggling. McDavid goes in on a breakaway in OT, there was a bit of a slash. Personally I didn't think it was much so I am OK with the non call but it was a legit scoring chance. Then what a min later, they give Nuge a slash late in OT when it was so subtle on a player skating towards the corner. So you don't call the contact on the reining MVP of the league when he is on a breakaway but you do call one on someone else on a nothing play.

Taking away the Oilers bias for a minute. How does a fan or any player know what is a penalty when you have 2 plays like that with 2 drastically different outcomes?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2017 09:35]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702409 is a reply to message #702407 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

We are the lowest scoring team in the league with the supposed highest octane offensive player. What gives? Has to be more than bad luck!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702410 is a reply to message #702409 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 10:05

We are the lowest scoring team in the league with the supposed highest octane offensive player. What gives? Has to be more than bad luck!

If you play the "right way" you should win 1-0 or 2-1 every game.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702413 is a reply to message #702410 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 10:08

overdue wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 10:05

If you play the "right way" you should win 1-0 or 2-1 every game.

Well 5 out or a possible 8 pts on the road says you aren't that far off. Like it or not, this league has turned into a 3-2 league at best. Maroon was stoned what 4 times point blank on that one shift. I bet he scores 7 out of 10 times if that happens again. Nuge breathes on Holtby and he drops like he is shot and a goal gets called back and a pretty weak call. Drai rings one off the post in the shootout. He scores and maybe some pressure is off the other guys, maybe its a different outcome or goes to another shooter and they win.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702414 is a reply to message #702413 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Letestu was one of our most successful shootout guys last season. I have no issue with them going to him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702422 is a reply to message #702414 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 11:08

Letestu was one of our most successful shootout guys last season. I have no issue with them going to him.

Letestu had played 6 minutes in the game- least amount of minutes on the team. Why would you send a benched/sick/injured player out in a clutch situation? Nuge has been playing great and is our 2nd leading scorer, having shown up to play this year. Who's your current strength?

Should we have put Talbot in goal for the shootout because he was great/brilliant/theresonwemadetheplayoffs last year? Remember the Mact/Conklin/Morrison debacle?

Bad coaching decision.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702423 is a reply to message #702422 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 15:40

Letestu had played 6 minutes in the game- least amount of minutes on the team. Why would you send a benched/sick/injured player out in a clutch situation? Nuge has been playing great and is our 2nd leading scorer, having shown up to play this year. Who's your current strength?

Should we have put Talbot in goal for the shootout because he was great/brilliant/theresonwemadetheplayoffs last year? Remember the Mact/Conklin/Morrison debacle?

Bad coaching decision.

Because some players are just flat out good at shoot outs while other extremely high end players struggle. When the Oilers had Hendricks, a lunch bucket guy, I can't remember what his percentage was but it was really good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702424 is a reply to message #702423 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 15:44

Bad coaching decision.

Because some players are just flat out good at shoot outs while other extremely high end players struggle. When the Oilers had Hendricks, a lunch bucket guy, I can't remember what his percentage was but it was really good.

Hendrick was good before the Oilers. As an Oiler he went 2/10. Letestu is 4/11 now as an Oiler. He has done the same move every time if I recall correctly, so I imagine he's pretty figured out by goalies now. Might be time to pull the plug soon if he gets stoned a couple more times. No else on the team with really impressive SO results over the last 4 years aside from Drai with 4/8. McDavid 2/7, Nuge 3/13.

Jokinen has 36 career SO goals and a career rate of 39%, but I wouldn't expect McLellan to give him a shot since he is unhappy with him.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2017 16:13]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702425 is a reply to message #702423 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bad coaching decision.

Letestu was 4 for 9 last year - good for 44% of his attempts. He was one of only 14 players to score 4 or more in the skills competition last year.

All-time, he's now 15/37 - or 40.5%. That's 65th best percentage of anyone who's taken over 10 shots since the shootout started in 2005-06.

Nugent-Hopkins is 5 for 19 all-time, good for 26.3%. Last year he was 0-for-3.

The shootout is not the same as the rest of the game. The best shooter in shootout history isn't Crosby or Kane...it's Vyacheslav Kozlov who scored on 27 of his 46 attempts, good for 58.7%. Petteri Nummelin played just three NHL seasons, and only two that involved shootouts. He scored on 8 of his 10 chances. Artemi Panarin is 7-for-10. Trevor Linden, who was pretty old and slow when the shootout came in to the league, scored on 7 of his 12 chances and Jeff Tambellini rounds out the top five with 8 goals on 14 shots.

There's lots to go after McLellan about this year - using his career best shoot-out guy isn't one of them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702430 is a reply to message #702425 ]
Tue, 14 November 2017 00:05 Go to previous message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 16:13

Bad coaching decision.

Letestu was 4 for 9 last year - good for 44% of his attempts. He was one of only 14 players to score 4 or more in the skills competition last year.

All-time, he's now 15/37 - or 40.5%. That's 65th best percentage of anyone who's taken over 10 shots since the shootout started in 2005-06.

Nugent-Hopkins is 5 for 19 all-time, good for 26.3%. Last year he was 0-for-3.

The shootout is not the same as the rest of the game. The best shooter in shootout history isn't Crosby or Kane...it's Vyacheslav Kozlov who scored on 27 of his 46 attempts, good for 58.7%. Petteri Nummelin played just three NHL seasons, and only two that involved shootouts. He scored on 8 of his 10 chances. Artemi Panarin is 7-for-10. Trevor Linden, who was pretty old and slow when the shootout came in to the league, scored on 7 of his 12 chances and Jeff Tambellini rounds out the top five with 8 goals on 14 shots.

There's lots to go after McLellan about this year - using his career best shoot-out guy isn't one of them.

1) It's not last year.
2) He was benched for whatever reason.

I agree he was great last year, I agree that Nuge wasn't great last year. I'm suggesting that putting a cold player out in a clutch situation is a bad move. If Letestu had been busting his ass out there all game, I'd be behind the decision 100%. Don't reward failure - that's a MacT trait.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17) [message #702426 is a reply to message #702402 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 08:59

That was a delayed reaction by Holtby for sure, good for him to fall the right way, that took selling skill. There's no way Nuge's tickling his pad makes him fall down if he doesn't want to fall down.

Your other point, the difference between what's being called and what was generally let go in the Anaheim series in the playoffs is just an embarrassment to the NHL. What the NHL should be doing is enforcing real infractions, and making examples of guys like Holtby who make it look like they've been felled by a bullet.

Previous Topic:The Myth of the Western Conference Team
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #17)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca