This day on November 20
None

Happy Birthday To: d_ottosen, lambofgad, Ofer, JayStyles, oilpride5

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702021]
Tue, 07 November 2017 19:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: smyth260 for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win: 63%
NY Islanders to win: 38%
40 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702026 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Good grief, Connor was almost the goat in a loss and seconds later he's the hero in OT.

Talbot played well, not much else to comment on a win until they put more than one together.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702027 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

COOOONNNNOOOOR!

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702029 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Don’t know the #’s, but this team seems lethal 3 on 3.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702082 is a reply to message #702029 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 19:39

Don’t know the #’s, but this team seems lethal 3 on 3.

Except when they put Looch out there.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702030 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

It wasnt perfect and it sure as hell wasnt exciting at times but that was a heck of a road win against a very good offensive NYI team.

I dont know what clicked for Nurse but he is getting better every game.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702032 is a reply to message #702030 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 19:39

It wasnt perfect and it sure as hell wasnt exciting at times but that was a heck of a road win against a very good offensive NYI team.

Yeah, damn, the guy is the best d-man on the team right now, and it isn't all that close.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702047 is a reply to message #702030 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 19:39

Oilers Road Games this year:

Canucks 3, Oilers 2
Oilers 2, Blackhawks 1 (OT)
Flyers 2, Oilers 1
Penguins 2, Oilers 1 (OT)
Oilers 2, Islanders 1 (OT)

Notice a pattern here? I've wondered before if McLellan doesn't overly believe in the whole "gotta know how to win the 2-1 games" cliche and tries to coach towards that score each night. As with the last two years, you do see a lot of OT/SO games since McLellan arrived, and you have to wonder if that's part of the problem with the team? Is he coaching high end players to try to eke out tight wins every night?

8 goals for in 5 away games isn't very good...9 against isn't bad though.

If only they could find some way to actually take it to teams though, rather than trying to scrape out a win by the skin of their teeth...and it would help not to always give up points too...worth noting in that record is that while the Oilers are .500 on the road - 2-2-1, they've given up 8 of 10 possible points to the opposition. Mostly Eastern teams so it doesn't hurt us, but it would be nice to win more in regulation as we begin to play more Western squads, especially since we're chasing everyone now.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702037 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Sweet ending.

Hope they can bring a decent effort next game. Would be nice to see at least 2 average efforts in a row again.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702038 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

With all the bummer stuff going on, it's nice to still get to see Nurse come into his own. He and Larsson got the hardest zone starts and competition tonight, and were #1 and 2 on the team in CF%, and they earned it.

On the flip side, Russell is making life really difficult for Gryba even against weak comp.

Gryba with Russell: 38.61 CF%
Gryba without Russell: 66.39 CF%

And they still get 57.14% offensive zone starts together.

Bring back Auvitu? Wonder if a Russell-Fayne pairing would dominate in the AHL.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702040 is a reply to message #702038 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 21:02

With all the bummer stuff going on, it's nice to still get to see Nurse come into his own. He and Larsson got the hardest zone starts and competition tonight, and were #1 and 2 on the team in CF%, and they earned it.

On the flip side, Russell is making life really difficult for Gryba even against weak comp.

Can't demote Russell. He's got a no-move for the length of his deal. No busses for #4!

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702041 is a reply to message #702040 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 21:17

Can't demote Russell. He's got a no-move for the length of his deal. No busses for #4!

There are ways. Might require mob connection like Lucky Lou has. Katz must have some people now from the hollywood crowd.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702042 is a reply to message #702041 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

Gritty win. I wrote us off when Kassian fell on the PK. Then again with less than 5 minutes left and one last time in OT just before 97 scored.

Feels like a turning point. Get a win when we played okay. Probably should’ve lost, but didn’t. Let’s right this ship!!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702043 is a reply to message #702042 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh is currently online Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Fun Fact
Both NYI points tonight were scored by players we traded them

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702044 is a reply to message #702043 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 21:36

Fun Fact
Both NYI points tonight were scored by players we traded them

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGuhL4U2WyjdkaY/giphy.gif

This is a technically incorrect statement. AND, the Oilers would not have picked Barzal didn't you hear? They would have picked whoever the highest ranked Oil King was. That fully excuses them from any blame.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2017 21:40]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702054 is a reply to message #702041 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 21:22

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 21:17

There are ways. Might require mob connection like Lucky Lou has. Katz must have some people now from the hollywood crowd.

All you need is a Ray Donovan type fixer.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702062 is a reply to message #702054 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

This team is baffling to me. Talbot is all world on the road but at times looks like he can't stop a beach ball at home. Even the team. This is the 4th or 5th 2-1 game on the road they have played so they show they can play tight hockey which you have to do in the NHL but at home its the complete opposite. Love him or hate him, you can't blame the coach because I have a hard time believing McLellan when they are at home says "Go out there and play loose, what ever the hell you want hockey" but on the road they play the structure. Shows to me at least that a lot of their struggles are completely between the ears for the Oilers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702063 is a reply to message #702062 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 07:13

This team is baffling to me. Talbot is all world on the road but at times looks like he can't stop a beach ball at home. Even the team. This is the 4th or 5th 2-1 game on the road they have played so they show they can play tight hockey which you have to do in the NHL but at home its the complete opposite. Love him or hate him, you can't blame the coach because I have a hard time believing McLellan when they are at home says "Go out there and play loose, what ever the hell you want hockey" but on the road they play the structure. Shows to me at least that a lot of their struggles are completely between the ears for the Oilers.

Or they're just not that good. For all the good things they did yesterday they still got outshot 13-2 in the 3rd and got nothing from the bottom 9. Jonathan Willis had a good analogy the other day on Lowetides show about how inconsistency usually means a lack of talent. Even in his prime, any golfer on the PGA tour could beat Tiger on one hole, or even a day. But they eventually lost, because Tiger was just better.

As for Talbot, he's got 1 year old twins at home. Road life is probably a lot more stable at this point.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702065 is a reply to message #702063 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 08:49

Or they're just not that good. For all the good things they did yesterday they still got outshot 13-2 in the 3rd and got nothing from the bottom 9. Jonathan Willis had a good analogy the other day on Lowetides show about how inconsistency usually means a lack of talent. Even in his prime, any golfer on the PGA tour could beat Tiger on one hole, or even a day. But they eventually lost, because Tiger was just better.

As for Talbot, he's got 1 year old twins at home. Road life is probably a lot more stable at this point.

I think their roster is far from perfect but I don't think they are a pile of garbage either. I think they are a better team than their record shows, they just have a lot of guys off to bad starts who are now lacking confidence. As an example, Klefbom is having a terrible start to the season. He's making stupidly bad decisions, he's making bad reads, his coverage is off and he's not handling the puck very well. He now looks like he is nervous, not overly confident and not sure of himself. So either he is going through a funk or he's a not good enough. I have a hard time believing he's not good enough. This league is so tight and teams so close games come down to a couple of plays. The Oilers defense isn't great but how much of a difference would Klefbom playing well make to this team? Massive difference.

He's just one guy but a HUGE part of this team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702069 is a reply to message #702065 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 07:59

I think their roster is far from perfect but I don't think they are a pile of garbage either. I think they are a better team than their record shows, they just have a lot of guys off to bad starts who are now lacking confidence. As an example, Klefbom is having a terrible start to the season. He's making stupidly bad decisions, he's making bad reads, his coverage is off and he's not handling the puck very well. He now looks like he is nervous, not overly confident and not sure of himself. So either he is going through a funk or he's a not good enough. I have a hard time believing he's not good enough. This league is so tight and teams so close games come down to a couple of plays. The Oilers defense isn't great but how much of a difference would Klefbom playing well make to this team? Massive difference.

Right. Guys go through slumps, that's normal. On a good team you would have guys that could pick them up and carry some of the load for a bit. Instead, the Oilers are paying Kris Russell $4M to play 16 min a night and get his lunch fed to him with Gryba.

I don't disagree that the Oilers are probably better than their record right now. McDavid pretty much assures that. But this team is not a contender, and their process is not good right now. Lucic is on pace to score 41 points and that may be his high water mark for the duration of his contract. I've already talked about Russell, both guys are immovable.

I saw on Twitter the other day (@Woodguy55) that the only two regulars leftover from before Chia/McLellan are RNH and Klefbom. I was honestly a bit shocked. This is Chia's team now, so any cap issues or lack of skill is on him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702089 is a reply to message #702069 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 09:22

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 07:59

Right. Guys go through slumps, that's normal. On a good team you would have guys that could pick them up and carry some of the load for a bit. Instead, the Oilers are paying Kris Russell $4M to play 16 min a night and get his lunch fed to him with Gryba.

I don't disagree that the Oilers are probably better than their record right now. McDavid pretty much assures that. But this team is not a contender, and their process is not good right now. Lucic is on pace to score 41 points and that may be his high water mark for the duration of his contract. I've already talked about Russell, both guys are immovable.

I saw on Twitter the other day (@Woodguy55) that the only two regulars leftover from before Chia/McLellan are RNH and Klefbom. I was honestly a bit shocked. This is Chia's team now, so any cap issues or lack of skill is on him.

So if the Oilers didn't have Russell but had say Hamonic who I have seen mentioned many, many times instead they would be this unstoppable force?

Calgary already had a really good defense but they brought in Hamonic rather than address their real issue which was scoring. The Flames supposedly have the best defense in the league yet they are 8-7, -5 in goals differential and if it weren't for Smith standing on his head, they'd probably be in the same boat as the Oilers. The Flames have also I believe played at least 5 teams in the second game of a back to back, most of them played the Oilers the night before. Every stats guys says that is a HUGE advantage to the team. Hamonic in 13 games has 2 points and is -2. I am not seeing this huge impact from Hamonic for the Flames. He's not helping their offense and defensively if you look, the Flames are a grand total of 1 goal against better than the Oilers who have been crappy. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings#/division

I am not hear to stick up for Russell. I don't hate the guy like some people in here do or think he is a bad player. I also don't think he is an amazing dman, I think he is a serviceable 4-5 dman. Russell is a good skating, undersized, mostly defensive dman being paid to be a #4 guy. Hamonic is an OK skating, OK size, defensive dman being paid to be a #4. Hamonic makes 142 k less than Russell. So if the Oilers had Hamonic who's maybe a marginal upgrade on Russell instead of Russell, all of a sudden you and the rest of the Russell haters would be happy, the Oilers would be dominating, scoring all these goals and the Oilers wouldn't have cap issues because of the 142k less?

I ask because I see Russell and his contract mentioned, I don't have the exact number but I bet 10-12 times a day minimum by the same people wouldn't be far off. Then I see how the Oilers could have had Hamonic mentioned at least several times weekly. Then I look at what they make and it's almost the same. I look at the type of dmen they are and they are pretty close. I look at what they don't do which is generate offense or put up points and they are the same in that and I wonder what am I missing? If we are talking the Oilers could have had Josi who makes 4 mill with the best contract in the league and they passed on him for Russell, then I would be just as livid. But I am not seeing this massive upgrade on Hamonic that is worth getting pissed off about.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 November 2017 15:48]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702117 is a reply to message #702089 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 14:42

So if the Oilers didn't have Russell but had say Hamonic who I have seen mentioned many, many times instead they would be this unstoppable force?

Calgary already had a really good defense but they brought in Hamonic rather than address their real issue which was scoring. The Flames supposedly have the best defense in the league yet they are 8-7, -5 in goals differential and if it weren't for Smith standing on his head, they'd probably be in the same boat as the Oilers. The Flames have also I believe played at least 5 teams in the second game of a back to back, most of them played the Oilers the night before. Every stats guys says that is a HUGE advantage to the team. Hamonic in 13 games has 2 points and is -2. I am not seeing this huge impact from Hamonic for the Flames. He's not helping their offense and defensively if you look, the Flames are a grand total of 1 goal against better than the Oilers who have been crappy. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings#/division

I am not hear to stick up for Russell. I don't hate the guy like some people in here do or think he is a bad player. I also don't think he is an amazing dman, I think he is a serviceable 4-5 dman. Russell is a good skating, undersized, mostly defensive dman being paid to be a #4 guy. Hamonic is an OK skating, OK size, defensive dman being paid to be a #4. Hamonic makes 142 k less than Russell. So if the Oilers had Hamonic who's maybe a marginal upgrade on Russell instead of Russell, all of a sudden you and the rest of the Russell haters would be happy, the Oilers would be dominating, scoring all these goals and the Oilers wouldn't have cap issues because of the 142k less?

I ask because I see Russell and his contract mentioned, I don't have the exact number but I bet 10-12 times a day minimum by the same people wouldn't be far off. Then I see how the Oilers could have had Hamonic mentioned at least several times weekly. Then I look at what they make and it's almost the same. I look at the type of dmen they are and they are pretty close. I look at what they don't do which is generate offense or put up points and they are the same in that and I wonder what am I missing? If we are talking the Oilers could have had Josi who makes 4 mill with the best contract in the league and they passed on him for Russell, then I would be just as livid. But I am not seeing this massive upgrade on Hamonic that is worth getting pissed off about.

I mean we've talked about it before, so I don't know that we need to re-hash everything, but we basically fundamentally disagree on Russell's value. I don't think he's a 4 at all. Yes he played there last year, but that was with Sekera who I think is very underrated. His numbers away from Sekera were not good at all. Heck, MAB looked competent playing with Pronger. That doesn't make him a top pairing defenceman. Russell is an NHL defenceman, that's about all I'll give him. So do I think Nurse/Hamonic or Hjalmarsson would have been a significant upgrade over Russell/Benning? Absolutely I do. Would that have made the Oilers automatically into contenders? Maybe not, but it would have made them better.

But when I talk about the process the Oilers have right now, this is what I mean. Like what is the plan for Russell? They signed him to the absolute maximum dollars (and likely more), and term than he was going to get anywhere else. And gave him a NMC and buyout proofed the contract. Why? Even if they think Russell is what you say he is, we know they're high on Nurse. And we know, based on the fact that they didn't do anything to fix the right side, that they think that Benning is at least a competent right side defenceman. Both are young and hopefully will improve. Russell is 30. They didn't consider that at some point in the next 4 years that both players would pass Russell on the depth chart? And then they're paying their, at best, 6th defenceman $4M a year. I tried to be optimistic and thought that would happen in year 2. It took about 4 weeks. Russell is on the 3rd pair now and when Sekera gets back, Russell will be the Oilers 6th best defenceman and making $4M for 3+ more years.

And the part that I really can't wrap my head around is the fact that Chia has completely turned over this entire roster. He has to appreciate the flexibility that allowed him to do that is at least in part that, despite all his flaws, MacT didn't give anyone a NMC. But Chia is willing to hamstring himself like that for Russell? Why? And this isnt just me hating on Russell, why would you do that for any borderline 2nd pair defenceman, if that's what they think he is? Especially when they know they have Nurse and Benning on the team.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 November 2017 10:24]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702120 is a reply to message #702117 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:06 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 09:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 14:42

I mean we've talked about it before, so I don't know that we need to re-hash everything, but we basically fundamentally disagree on Russell's value. I don't think he's a 4 at all. Yes he played there last year, but that was with Sekera who I think is very underrated. His numbers away from Seker a were not good at all. Heck, MAB looked competent playing with Pronger. That doesn't make him a top pairing defenceman. Russell is an NHL defenceman, that's about all I'll give him. So do I think Nurse/Hamonic or Hjalmarsson would have been a significant upgrade over Russell/Benning? Absolutely I do. Would that have made the Oilers automatically into contenders? Maybe not, but it would have made them better.

But when I talk about the process the Oilers have right now, this is what I mean. Like what is the plan for Russell? They signed him to the absolute maximum dollars (and likely more), and term than he was going to get anywhere else. And gave him a NMC and buyout proofed the contract. Why? Even if they think Russell is what youvsay he is, we know they're high on Nurse. And we know, based on the fact that they didn't do anything to fix the right side, that they think that Benning is at least a competent right side defenceman. Both are young and hopefully will improve. Russell is 30. They didn't consider that at some point in the next 4 years that both players would pass Russell on the depth chart? And then they're paying their, at best, 6th defenceman $4M a year. I tried to be optimistic and thought that would happen in year 2. It took about 4 weeks. Russell is on the 3rd pair now and when Sekera gets back, Russell will be the Oilers 6th best defenceman and making $4M for 3+ more years.

And the part that I really can't wrap my head around is the fact that Chia has completely turned over this entire roster. He has to appreciate the flexibility that allowed him to do that is at least in part that, despite all his flaws, MacT didn't give anyone a NMC. But Chia is willing to hamstring himself like that for Russell? Why? And this isnt just me hating on Russell, why would you do that for any borderline 2nd pair defenceman, if that's what they think he is? Especially when they know they have Nurse and Benning on the team.

And Bear and Jones chasing too.

Of course, it's because they'll do what the Oilers always do...keep the third pairing guy and trade a first or second pair d-man because they need to "make space" for the young guy who they're about to throw in over his head...

For many of Chiarelli's moves, they seem to have extremely little forethought. He makes the move to deal with whatever is right in front of him, without much consideration for what happens afterwards.

He's admitted that he has no idea if the team can be competitive with McDavid and Draisaitl making $21MM, there seems to have been no big plan for spending any of the cap space that he worked diligently to create this summer, and he didn't leave any contract room because he signed up every AHL plug he could. In case you're wondering, that doesn't look to have provided an elite AHL squad - they're 5-4-1 ten games in to the year, good for 5th in their divistion.

In case you're wondering, Ty Rattie is the only one he signed who's making much noise down there. Keegan Lowe has watched all but two games.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702064 is a reply to message #702062 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Kharia. Slep was supposed to play but at the last min couldn't go. So instead of playing Khaira, they put in Malone who was just called up a few days ago. Malone comes in and does exactly what you want a 4th line player to do. Keep it simple, go hard on your shift, go hard to the net. He was credited with a shot on goal, rang one off the post on another, had a hit, a few take aways, took a few draws where he was 50% and did a little PK time. He got just under 8 mins of ice time. Maybe he could have got a few more hits but for a 4th line guy playing that little, I don't think you can ask for much more.

He's only play 4 games but in those games has looked like an effective 4th liner, hungry for a full time spot, hungry for ice time and looking to do something on the ice even if he isn't playing a ton. I hope he can continue to play like he has so it makes it so signing Kelly doesn't seem necessary as they look like the same guy. If I was the Oilers, I would send Khaira down and call up someone who has earned a call up. Like a Rattie or a Puljarjavi for some help on the RW side. If you lose Khaira to waivers so be it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702066 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Talbot

@home: 3.54 GAA .894 sav%
on road: 2.03 GAA .937 sav%

Are those 2 little 1 year olds getting out of hand at home? :) Last year they were just laying on their backs drooling.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702068 is a reply to message #702066 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 09:01

Talbot

Are those 2 little 1 year olds getting out of hand at home? :) Last year they were just laying on their backs drooling.

You got to wonder if that is it because that's dramatic. Yes the Oilers roster isn't perfect and the team hasn't been great but it doesn't matter if you are playing well, you aren't winning much getting sub .900 goaltending. It hasn't been all Talbot at home but at the same time he on a lot of nights at home hasn't been very good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702071 is a reply to message #702068 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 08:13

Talbot

You got to wonder if that is it because that's dramatic. Yes the Oilers roster isn't perfect and the team hasn't been great but it doesn't matter if you are playing well, you aren't winning much getting sub .900 goaltending. It hasn't been all Talbot at home but at the same time he on a lot of nights at home hasn't been very good.

It honestly wouldn't shock me if that was at least part of it. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old at home and I am 100% not as productive at work right now. Even with full time help at home, which Talbot obviously has the means to afford, unless he's totally ignoring his kids, it makes a difference.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702074 is a reply to message #702071 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 09:26

Talbot

It honestly wouldn't shock me if that was at least part of it. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old at home and I am 100% not as productive at work right now. Even with full time help at home, which Talbot obviously has the means to afford, unless he's totally ignoring his kids, it makes a difference.

Hopefully I'm not getting to crazy here making assumptions about Talbot's home life, but it does seem like his wife is very much the kind of person that would want to be the #1 caregiver for her kids. Which is awesome for her any everything, but even when you're wife is 100% committed to doing all that work, the dad can't help but get tied up in all kinds of energy sapping stuff when he gets home :) Most mom's have plenty of exhausting and rough days and still need help.

And I can definitely relate with the less productive thing :) Mine are 3 and 2 now.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702084 is a reply to message #702071 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Talbot

I have 2 boys, an almost 7 yr old and a 4.5 yr old so really close to the age difference as yours and I was a zombie those first few years. icon_lol My kids were both brutal sleepers so I hope yours are better than mine worth.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702087 is a reply to message #702084 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 12:20

I have 2 boys, an almost 7 yr old and a 4.5 yr old so really close to the age difference as yours and I was a zombie those first few years. icon_lol My kids were both brutal sleepers so I hope yours are better than mine worth.

Ha. Oldest is...not good. He's better now, but I honestly wasn't sure I was going to survive the year to 18-month stage. Younger one seems better so far, so fingers crossed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702106 is a reply to message #702084 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 13:20

Talbot

Mine are 3.5 years and 4 months. The older one was and still is a horrible sleeper. I sure enjoy catching up on sleep during work trips. In the middle of a four-day bus-cation at the moment. The only downside is the hotel room doesn't have Sportsnet Oilers and therefore couldn't watch the game last night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702070 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

A win! What a sweet sweet goal by CMcD and that dish by Drai! Excellent.

My little one said, "Daddy don't yell", but hey that was a goal to be appreciated.

I need to see a few games of these strung together for me to think they have turned any corner.

Onto the next one!

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702073 is a reply to message #702070 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 09:24

My little one said, "Daddy don't yell", but hey that was a goal to be appreciated.

I need to see a few games of these strung together for me to think they have turned any corner.

Onto the next one!

icon_lol I used to scare the daylights out of my kids when they were small with my reactions to big goals. I still startle my 17 yr old even when she's watching with me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702075 is a reply to message #702073 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 10:40

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 09:24

Onto the next one!

icon_lol I used to scare the daylights out of my kids when they were small with my reactions to big goals. I still startle my 17 yr old even when she's watching with me.

Hahah, I think a lot of us Oiler fans are in the same boat. I think my neighbors sometimes think someone is getting murdered when the Oilers score a big goal with the way I shriek.

Last year my daughter was in kids counseling concerning parent separation and in one exercise she drew a picture of an angry adult yelling on the white board. The concerned counselor asked what it was and my daughter said, "That's my dad watching the Oilers." The counselor who usually is reserved burst out laughing.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702097 is a reply to message #702021 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Apparently the exact same play between Drai/McDavid happened in another league:

https://streamable.com/a5e1q

guess these 2 guys are named McDaval and Draisal. Not sure which league they play in though.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702098 is a reply to message #702097 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 16:40

guess these 2 guys are named McDaval and Draisal. Not sure which league they play in though.

I heard they joined the Oilersal of Edmontonal

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702099 is a reply to message #702098 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 17:07

Hate to talk more about that old trade, but McDaval to Draisal to Barzal...would have sounded pretty good.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14) [message #702100 is a reply to message #702099 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 17:10

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 17:07

Hate to talk more about that old trade, but McDaval to Draisal to Barzal...would have sounded pretty good.

Kr55, say it out loud......PC would have wasted 16 on a washout...it's for your own good, man! icon_nod

Previous Topic:Keegan Lowe & 5 others sign with Oilers
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca