This day on November 20
None

Happy Birthday To: d_ottosen, lambofgad, Ofer, JayStyles, oilpride5

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701934]
Tue, 07 November 2017 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final (OT)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 63%
NY Islanders to win: 38%
40 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Tuesday, November 7, 2017Edmonton 2 @ NY Islanders 1 (OT)Win
Thursday, March 8, 2018NY Islanders @ Edmonton
Home Record: 0-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 0/2 Total: 2
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/1 Total: 1

2016-17 Regular Season
Saturday, November 5, 2016Edmonton 4 @ NY Islanders 3 (OT) (SO)Win
Tuesday, March 7, 2017NY Islanders 4 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/4 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/3 Total: 7

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701935 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Must win.

Saying Eberle gets on the scoreboard is too obvious, but Eberle is getting on the scoreboard tonight.

Your reigning, defending, undisputed, and two time NHL Survivor Champion!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701936 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Must win, but I have no faith in this team that they will win.

Close loss, lots of excuses.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701939 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

68% of Oilfans predict a victory.
I wish I was still that optimistic. With the way the NYI offense has been clicking our D better step up in this one.
Oh, and we better have zero penalties or it will be a really bad one.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701941 is a reply to message #701939 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Game #14 and we're playing Eberle? can we say fate? Ebs nets 4 goals.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701944 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

They'll be out hustled = Loss.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701947 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Pakarinen-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira-Malone

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701948 is a reply to message #701947 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 10:36

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

If I had my way, I would swap Slep and Dra. I think McDavid and Drai need to be separated to create 2 scoring lines. But at least Slep is able to go.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701949 is a reply to message #701948 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 11:56

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

If I had my way, I would swap Slep and Dra. I think McDavid and Drai need to be separated to create 2 scoring lines. But at least Slep is able to go.

I agree, TM seems hellbent on keeping that first line as is and just waiting for secondary scoring to appear on lines 2-4.
When a team thinks it has the right pieces (debate from this board aside) and it isnt working you need to mix it up. Not just for one period or one game but try something for a few games. I know they are behind the 8 ball here but this lineup isnt working, why not try something else for this whole road trip and see if that jumpstarts things

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701954 is a reply to message #701949 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 11:11

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

I agree, TM seems hellbent on keeping that first line as is and just waiting for secondary scoring to appear on lines 2-4.
When a team thinks it has the right pieces (debate from this board aside) and it isnt working you need to mix it up. Not just for one period or one game but try something for a few games. I know they are behind the 8 ball here but this lineup isnt working, why not try something else for this whole road trip and see if that jumpstarts things

Do you ever look at these line charts and think how much better the forwards look if you put Hall in on Line 2 with Nuge instead of Lucic?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701958 is a reply to message #701954 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:46

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

Do you ever look at these line charts and think how much better the forwards look if you put Hall in on Line 2 with Nuge instead of Lucic?

Is every single off day and about 14 times per game day too often?

Just slightly more than I think how much better they would look with Eberle on the RW instead any of those 4.

Heck, these days I even think how much better Yak is than most of our RW depth chart.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701963 is a reply to message #701958 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:30

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

Just slightly more than I think how much better they would look with Eberle on the RW instead any of those 4.

Heck, these days I even think how much better Yak is than most of our RW depth chart.

Hey, don't get too carried away.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701964 is a reply to message #701963 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 13:01

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

Here's the right wing stats from this year:

Leon Draisaitl 9 GP 3-6-9
Nail Yakupov 14 GP 4-3-7
Ryan Strome 13 GP 2-3-5
Drake Caggiula 8 GP 1-1-2
Zack Kassian 13 GP 0-1-1
Anton Slepyshev 9 GP 0-1-1

As he's always done, Yakupov is producing when played with talented players. He's a complimentary scorer - doesn't drive a line, but he does put up points when played with decent linemates.

He still needs to shoot more though...just 24 shots in his 14 games.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701966 is a reply to message #701964 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 13:38

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

Nail Yakupov 14 GP 4-3-7
Ryan Strome 13 GP 2-3-5
Zack Kassian 13 GP 0-1-1

As he's always done, Yakupov is producing when played with talented players. He's a complimentary scorer - doesn't drive a line, but he does put up points when played with decent linemates.

Yak had similar stretches before, if he puts a year together, fine, he's done it with his 3rd NHL team.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701970 is a reply to message #701966 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 14:43

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 13:38

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

Nail Yakupov 14 GP 4-3-7
Ryan Strome 13 GP 2-3-5
Zack Kassian 13 GP 0-1-1

Yak had similar stretches before, if he puts a year together, fine, he's done it with his 3rd NHL team.

Exactly, and those stretches were almost always playing with someone else to drive the line.
Exactly the kind of cheap player we need alongside McDavid or Draisaitl. Also, exactly as the reason I argued against trading him for nothing. He could have been signed VERY cheap and would have filled a need but PC doesnt seem to look that far down the road very often.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701962 is a reply to message #701954 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 11:46

Morning skate lines;

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Malone

I think in a couple years if not sooner, the Lucic signing might be what PC is most criticized for. Hope I'm wrong.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701968 is a reply to message #701962 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:59

I think in a couple years if not sooner, the Lucic signing might be what PC is most criticized for. Hope I'm wrong.

It's definitely plausible. He looks so slow out there, and he makes a lot of glaring giveaways. Puck-handling isn't a strength. Ideally you want him to be the third best player on a line, and unfortunately for the Oilers, most nights he's still the second best on the second line.

It's a boost when he plays physical, but that definitely isn't an every game occurrence, and I think his decision-making is generally poor. Not only decision-making with the puck, but also with fighting. He seems to say yes whenever challenged by some fourth line plug from the other team looking to spark his side. I'd prefer to see him the aggressor, as opposed to accepting invites, and why allow the other team to try to shift momentum by fighting right after we score a goal? And if you're a second liner, you can't waste your time fighting people below you on the depth chart very often. If there's a message to be sent, maybe he can do it occasionally, but generally if an 8 minute a night player asks him to drop the gloves, as a second liner Lucic should be laughing at him and skating away. There's no real advantage to taking those fights.

It does seem like most of his fights have been that way, and by appointment. It would be nice to see a little bit of a mean streak every so often.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701972 is a reply to message #701968 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 13:49

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:59

It's definitely plausible. He looks so slow out there, and he makes a lot of glaring giveaways. Puck-handling isn't a strength. Ideally you want him to be the third best player on a line, and unfortunately for the Oilers, most nights he's still the second best on the second line.

It's a boost when he plays physical, but that definitely isn't an every game occurrence, and I think his decision-making is generally poor. Not only decision-making with the puck, but also with fighting. He seems to say yes whenever challenged by some fourth line plug from the other team looking to spark his side. I'd prefer to see him the aggressor, as opposed to accepting invites, and why allow the other team to try to shift momentum by fighting right after we score a goal? And if you're a second liner, you can't waste your time fighting people below you on the depth chart very often. If there's a message to be sent, maybe he can do it occasionally, but generally if an 8 minute a night player asks him to drop the gloves, as a second liner Lucic should be laughing at him and skating away. There's no real advantage to taking those fights.

It does seem like most of his fights have been that way, and by appointment. It would be nice to see a little bit of a mean streak every so often.

Yeah, handling the puck a bit too much as well. Difference between him and Maroon is that Maroon seems to get when to get rid of the puck and where, the puck isn't on his stick too long unless he's making a power move to get a shot off in tight. I'd agree that Lucic should be sticking to intimidating, and fighting isn't necessarily part of that. You can cave a guy in with a hit or some boardwork, or just be a bastard to play against.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701950 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

As long as we don't play the wrong way, we should have a good chance. Unless we are unlucky. Although, being unlucky is the wrong way anyways, so that wouldn't be playing the right way. I'm basing this on the Kris Russell law that being lucky is the right way, so being unlucky must be the wrong way. Or it is just luck + looking like you're trying hard that = right way. I'm confused again.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2017 11:52]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701951 is a reply to message #701950 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Using these same players, how would you best mash up these lines

Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Jokinen-Draisaitl-RNH
Lucic-Strome-Slepyshev
Malone-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira-Pakarinen

Why not, nothing else seems to be working.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701955 is a reply to message #701951 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

I still would like to see RNH as RW1

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701957 is a reply to message #701955 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 11:47

Maroon-McDavid-RNH

There is an unwritten law that you can't play McDavid with Nugent-Hopkins, except on 5-on-3 situations.

I've never been sure why though...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701960 is a reply to message #701957 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:55

Maroon-McDavid-RNH

There is an unwritten law that you can't play McDavid with Nugent-Hopkins, except on 5-on-3 situations.

I've never been sure why though...

I think you are missing a key factor. Unless a winger brings intangibles like your favorite, gritensity, you simply cannot pay a RW 6 million a year for that kind of production.
When you are that many years in the league and paid SOOOO much more than you are worth you must be traded.
So really, keeping RNH at C is saving him from the trade block!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701967 is a reply to message #701955 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Maroon-McDavid-RNH

I personally have wanted to see those combos. I thought the Lucic -Drai - Slep line looked really good in the playoffs so I figured it would be a given they would get them together. I understand the temptation to have Drai and McDavid on the same line but you really weaken your offense in my opinion by having them together. If that line gets locked down, you are kind of screwed. Plus you are paying Drai 8.5 mill to be a driver. So let him be a driver.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701956 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gotta love the Oilers braintrust:

Quote:

Eberle is skating with the rookie Barzal and veteran Andrew Ladd, and they’ve been quite productive since being put together. Eberle has four goals in his last four games, while Barzal produced five assists his last game. That Reinhart trade looks worse by the day, and considering I was told by two sources the Oilers wouldn’t have selected Barzal with the #15 pick, it is fair to question what the scouting staff was thinking in June of 2015. But I digress.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/07/game-day-preview-14-0-ed monton-oilers-at-new-york-islanders/

I wonder what these Oilers sources of Gregor are thinking here (and they can only be Oilers sources - no one else would know who they were planning to pick)? Do they believe that it's helpful to say that they weren't thinking about that really productive right shot forward who's scoring at almost a point a game in his rookie season? Do they think that somehow makes that deal better and more palatable?

Trading two key picks for a lumbering defenceman who couldn't and still can't crack an NHL lineup is a major, major miss for the organization. It's the only time this team has tried to aggressively go for it in the last three years and they fell flat on their face. It's not helpful to know that they were thinking of taking someone else anyhow...it just makes them look worse.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701959 is a reply to message #701956 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:54

Quote:

Eberle is skating with the rookie Barzal and veteran Andrew Ladd, and they’ve been quite productive since being put together. Eberle has four goals in his last four games, while Barzal produced five assists his last game. That Reinhart trade looks worse by the day, and considering I was told by two sources the Oilers wouldn’t have selected Barzal with the #15 pick, it is fair to question what the scouting staff was thinking in June of 2015. But I digress.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/07/game-day-preview-14-0-ed monton-oilers-at-new-york-islanders/

I wonder what these Oilers sources of Gregor are thinking here (and they can only be Oilers sources - no one else would know who they were planning to pick)? Do they believe that it's helpful to say that they weren't thinking about that really productive right shot forward who's scoring at almost a point a game in his rookie season? Do they think that somehow makes that deal better and more palatable?

Trading two key picks for a lumbering defenceman who couldn't and still can't crack an NHL lineup is a major, major miss for the organization. It's the only time this team has tried to aggressively go for it in the last three years and they fell flat on their face. It's not helpful to know that they were thinking of taking someone else anyhow...it just makes them look worse.

The mental gymnastics required to keep defending some of these moves must give these guys headaches.
It is ok to admit a mistake

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #702057 is a reply to message #701959 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 06:05 Go to previous message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 15:32

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 12:54

Quote:

The mental gymnastics required to keep defending some of these moves must give these guys headaches.
It is ok to admit a mistake

As noted - this is embarrassing on both fronts - either you got nothing for Barzal (bad GM), or you are saying you wouldn't have picked a guy that was the consensus BPA at the time (terrible scouts and GM). Neither is good. It was a terrible trade, not in hindsight, right at the time - nobody liked it. So best to let the fans yap about it and not say a damned thing. Ya blew it - suck it up. What a friggin clown show this management group is...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701961 is a reply to message #701956 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 11:54

Quote:

The angle i would take would be about Reinhart. He was absolutely NHL ready but he got lazy and ruined his career. His lack of commitment started some time in the summer of 2015. No one could have predicted it. Sometimes these things just happen. The sooner we all just move on the better. So, move on, please, thanks, let's never speak of lazy (from summer 2015 on, he was great before that) Reinhart again.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2017 12:57]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701973 is a reply to message #701956 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2017 11:54

Quote:

The stupidity and laziness is really something else. How do you admit that you haven't even bothered to watch the player you just took a massive swing on since junior? And then once you've done that how do you keep your job?

I mean I guess given the personnel involved it isn't really surprising that they think this somehow makes them look good.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ N.Y. Islanders (Game #14) [message #701976 is a reply to message #701934 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I refuse to put in any score predictions this season for two reasons. I'm not as right as I usually am and second, I actually felt the oilers were unstable.

Now it's a reality and every game from here on out is a must win. They go from what I thought was a turn around game with Jersey and then that stinker (worse they have played in memory) on Sunday. Tonight, I expect the Oilers have a gear but rarely go there to get the win. I don't expect Ebs to have a fire in his belly, but who knows he may get there.

At the end I think it will be a close loss with the go ahead scored at 15:45 of the 3rd. Just an unfortunate bounce.

I'll put away my cloak of witchery now.

Man alive, I wish this team would make me excited to see them. Let me be less right about the score, about the whole thing.. just win.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Previous Topic:Milan Lucic Fight Card as an Oiler
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca