Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701825]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:31 Go to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Oilers made the right decision! Hooray!

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers 9m9 minutes ago
More
The #Oilers have assigned forward Kailer Yamamoto to the @SpokaneChiefs of @TheWHL. Yamamoto recorded three assists in nine games.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2017 09:34]

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701826 is a reply to message #701825 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Yes good call to go back down.

I am excited to see what he can do for us in 2 ish years. He has high end skill & excellent speed.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701827 is a reply to message #701825 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:31

Oilers made the right decision! Hooray!

Development year is going exactly as planned.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701828 is a reply to message #701827 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Holy crap they actually made a good decision.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701829 is a reply to message #701825 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Brad Malone recalled...no Chris Kelly signing yet...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701830 is a reply to message #701829 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:35

Is Kelly still around with the team? If he is, no doubt he has been turning down offers from other teams left and right. I thank him for his commitment to the Oilers.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701838 is a reply to message #701830 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:40

Is Kelly still around with the team? If he is, no doubt he has been turning down offers from other teams left and right. I thank him for his commitment to the Oilers.

He is still practicing with the team. Mark Spector has tweeted that he expects a deal will be signed with him today.

So far, I've heard nothing, but unless he's planning to join the coaching staff, why else is he skating with the team on a PTO if he's not expecting a contract at some point?

He did score 12 points for the Bruins last year, which is pretty terrible production, but it puts him on pace or better than several of our third and fourth liners...

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701842 is a reply to message #701838 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:02

He is still practicing with the team. Mark Spector has tweeted that he expects a deal will be signed with him today.

So far, I've heard nothing, but unless he's planning to join the coaching staff, why else is he skating with the team on a PTO if he's not expecting a contract at some point?

He did score 12 points for the Bruins last year, which is pretty terrible production, but it puts him on pace or better than several of our third and fourth liners...

PC does have that single contract spot burning a hole in his pocket. Would hate to hold onto that for too long

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701846 is a reply to message #701842 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:06

PC does have that single contract spot burning a hole in his pocket. Would hate to hold onto that for too long

Two slots now! Just like that, with Yamamoto out, we're at 48 contracts, so we've got room.

And he's got all that cap space! Time to make a Chris Kelly-shaped splash!

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701848 is a reply to message #701846 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:14

Two slots now! Just like that, with Yamamoto out, we're at 48 contracts, so we've got room.

I think $4Mx4 should get it done. Kills two birds with one stone: you lock up an aging vet for probably 3 years longer than you should, and you take some pressure off of Kris Russell as he will no longer have the worst contract on the team.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701857 is a reply to message #701848 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:19

I think $4Mx4 should get it done. Kills two birds with one stone: you lock up an aging vet for probably 3 years longer than you should, and you take some pressure off of Kris Russell as he will no longer have the worst contract on the team.

Dont forget the no move clause!

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701859 is a reply to message #701857 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:14

Goose wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:19

Dont forget the no move clause!

I think Kelly needs to at least give us something. Maybe a list of 5 teams he's willing to be traded to in year 4.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701831 is a reply to message #701829 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I hope they don't sign Kelly. They have Malone who looks like a bigger younger Kelly. A 4th liner that can play a few positions, win some faceoffs and hopefully play on the PK.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2017 09:47]

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701833 is a reply to message #701831 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:41

I hope they don't sign Kelly. They have Malone who looks like a bigger younger Kelly. A 4th liner that can play a few positions, win some faceoffs and hopefully play on the PK.

I agree 100%, we have enough bottom 6 wingers to not need Kelly.

that said, who gets the RW spot on the top line?

I am guessing Strome and that was TM's plan all along. Break him down, call him out in public then hope the push to line one is the boost he needs.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701836 is a reply to message #701833 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:45

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:41

I agree 100%, we have enough bottom 6 wingers to not need Kelly.

that said, who gets the RW spot on the top line?

I am guessing Strome and that was TM's plan all along. Break him down, call him out in public then hope the push to line one is the boost he needs.

I would put Strome up there with McDavid and give him a chance to at least try. How many games did Yamo get with McDavid who's not an NHLer 5 or 6? (maybe someone can clarify that number as I am not 100% sure). Give Strome that and see what happens. I don't see how a line can gel in
one game or at times a period when you are flipping out players constantly. Give him a chance to succeed.

I would split up McDavid and Leon. They need to diversify their offense and they need to have more than 1 line going all the time. So if one line is having a bad night, hopefully you have another one going. You would have McDavid driving one line and Leon on the other. A Lucic - Nuge - Leon line would be a hell of a second line.

The next thing I would do is send down Khaira and call up Rattie who's red hot or JP who are both RW's. Sounds like JP is starting to really play well and is doing a lot of the smaller things he was lacking that was hurting him in the NHL. Maybe you call up Rattie just because he is older and let JP continue to refine his game but at the same time, they let Yamamoto play 9 NHL games and stay up with the team for a month and a half when it was pretty clear he wasn't NHL ready at all. So I have a hard time believing JP would be worse. I know they would have to waive Khaira but who cares. He's a borderline NHLer.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701839 is a reply to message #701829 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Thank god he isn't signed yet. Hopefully doesn't.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701841 is a reply to message #701839 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I'd like to see the Oilers give Malone a shot before even consider signing Kelly. Not that I think signing Kelly is a good idea at all. I thought Malone did everything you want a 4th liner to do when he was up briefly.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701849 is a reply to message #701839 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Jakey wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:03

My answer would be "neither" but if you had to pick, Iginla or Kelly? Different positions but more of a "who would you add to to the Oilers roster list".

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701850 is a reply to message #701849 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:28

My answer would be "neither" but if you had to pick, Iginla or Kelly? Different positions but more of a "who would you add to to the Oilers roster list".

Iggy before Kelly for sure. Letesu isn't earning his salary. he's supposed to be trying to save Woodcroft's PP coaching reputation by putting every shot he takes in the net. Maybe Iggy can save the day.

Although, maybe Kelly can play mistake free hockey from McLellan's perspective. Would be nice to have a defensive perfectionist. Perfect the defensive play, and the offense will come, just because.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2017 10:33]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701851 is a reply to message #701850 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:31

Iggy before Kelly for sure. Letesu isn't earning his salary. he's supposed to be trying to save Woodcroft's PP coaching reputation by putting every shot he takes in the net. Maybe Iggy can save the day.

Although, maybe Kelly can play mistake free hockey from McLellan's perspective. Would be nice to have a defensive perfectionist. Perfect the defensive play, and the offense will come, just because.

Neither of them add a lot in the speed department. I think Iginla's done, but I'd probably prefer him to Kelly (other than that it would cost me a beer in a bet with mightyreasoner).

Kelly is a penalty killer, so there's that...it's definitely an area where the Oilers could use a bit of a bump.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701852 is a reply to message #701850 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:31

Iggy before Kelly. Not sure why he is even still practicing with the team, Malone is a better option.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701853 is a reply to message #701852 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

According to Tracy Lane, more moves are coming. Get excited people!! icon_lol

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701862 is a reply to message #701852 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:52

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 09:31

Iggy before Kelly. Not sure why he is even still practicing with the team, Malone is a better option.

Chia scouted Kelly when he was with Ottawa, and then traded for him in Boston. He's Chia's boy.

Only reason he'd still be practicing with the team is if he thinks he has a shot at an NHL lineup spot eventually and team thinks that they might sign him.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701863 is a reply to message #701862 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

The more I look back at PC's deals - minus Maroon and signing Lucic (I am a rare person that is ok with that). PC has dropped the ball on all other deals. The trade for Griffin was dumb as can be, then and now. How nice does Barzal look now. Trading Hall rather then Ebs for a D, I love larsson but I think something comparable with extras could have been done with ebs. Kris Russel don't even get me started.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701866 is a reply to message #701863 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh is currently online Babaganoosh

1 Cup

As much as I know it's the right move I only have two thoughts right now.

1. We are a even slower team.
2. What slow pile of suck do need to put in that hole now?

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701867 is a reply to message #701866 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Does anyone know if Kelly is a good PK guy? I am not advocating for Kelly what so ever but something has to change with the PK and I think it has to be personal. It's beyond bad and losing them games.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701870 is a reply to message #701867 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:25

Does anyone know if Kelly is a good PK guy? I am not advocating for Kelly what so ever but something has to change with the PK and I think it has to be personal. It's beyond bad and losing them games.

Kelly is a decent PK player but he isn't our answer. Our issues are systematic. Be it those systems aren't practical for the team we built or the players arnt buying into the systems. Either way adding some has been won't solve much.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701873 is a reply to message #701870 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:39

Kelly is a decent PK player but he isn't our answer. Our issues are systematic. Be it those systems aren't practical for the team we built or the players arnt buying into the systems. Either way adding some has been won't solve much.

I am not an NHL coach so I could be wrong but when you watch all the teams on the PK, they all look pretty similar. How much change to the systems can you do? I think it's personal. TO be a good PK guy, it's all about work ethic and desire. I don't see it out there.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701880 is a reply to message #701873 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:48

I am not an NHL coach so I could be wrong but when you watch all the teams on the PK, they all look pretty similar. How much change to the systems can you do? I think it's personal. TO be a good PK guy, it's all about work ethic and desire. I don't see it out there.

I disagree entirely. Most of the players the Oilers are using on the PK have had successful stints as part of successful penalty kills over several years, with different teams, coaches, etc. I don't for a second believe that guys like Adam Larsson and Mark Letestu are failing because they don't have the right "desire" to kill off the penalties.

Sportswriters and commentators like to talk about effort, but most of the time that is not the issue. There are several different variations coaches use for penalty kills, and different systems call for varying amounts of pressure by the penalty killers. The Oilers system seems fairly passive when it comes to attacking the puck carrier, and yet does a poor job closing the seams. There is no question that there are some systematic issues, because it's not just one group leaking goals, but all the penalty killers.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701885 is a reply to message #701880 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:17

I disagree entirely. Most of the players the Oilers are using on the PK have had successful stints as part of successful penalty kills over several years, with different teams, coaches, etc. I don't for a second believe that guys like Adam Larsson and Mark Letestu are failing because they don't have the right "desire" to kill off the penalties.

Sportswriters and commentators like to talk about effort, but most of the time that is not the issue. There are several different variations coaches use for penalty kills, and different systems call for varying amounts of pressure by the penalty killers. The Oilers system seems fairly passive when it comes to attacking the puck carrier, and yet does a poor job closing the seams. There is no question that there are some systematic issues, because it's not just one group leaking goals, but all the penalty killers.

So what happens when the other team gets the puck and gets the zone. The team goes into a box, forwards high, dmen low. When they have 3 guys, they go into a triangle. The forwards take away the point shots, the dmen handle the forwards. As the play goes to one side or the other, it shifts from one side to the other. But they always go into a box. Some PK's are a bit more aggressive, some are a little more passive but there isn't one team doing something dramatically different was my point.

I know you have a hate on for the coaches but I really doubt the coaches are just sitting there shrugging their shoulders saying the same thing.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701892 is a reply to message #701885 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 14:26

So what happens when the other team gets the puck and gets the zone. The team goes into a box, forwards high, dmen low. When they have 3 guys, they go into a triangle. The forwards take away the point shots, the dmen handle the forwards. As the play goes to one side or the other, it shifts from one side to the other. But they always go into a box. Some PK's are a bit more aggressive, some are a little more passive but there isn't one team doing something dramatically different was my point.

I know you have a hate on for the coaches but I really doubt the coaches are just sitting there shrugging their shoulders saying the same thing.

I know when I question something of yours you see it as a personal attack so I will try to do this as nice as possible;

The idea of the box and the triangle are basic strategies that arent employed 100% by any team over Pee Wee
A lot of teams use multiple formations and strategies depending on the team they are playing.
There is a standard box, collapsing box, diamond as basic formations.
Add onto that the level of aggressiveness;
- Some just try to keep the puck to the outside and block passing lanes with sticks.
- you can have whoever is closest to the puck challenge HARD and the other three triangle up to block the passing. (this has been used a lot against the Oilers this year to great success)
- you also can use a modified "reverse cycle" basically mimicking the Offensive cycle and forcing them into a turnover.

There are many many more variations but those are some examples to show how our coaches should be trying something different.

The idea that you simply box it up and wait in the middle may be what the Oilers are doing but it is FAR from the only way to set up a PK.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701894 is a reply to message #701892 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I forgot the McClellan PK setup. Fall down-poop pants-watch other team high five.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701889 is a reply to message #701880 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Our PK looks like it's expertly designed to defeat our own PP that just stands around. I bet practice time for the PP and PK is a never ending epic chess match of standing and staring.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701895 is a reply to message #701889 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:32

Our PK looks like it's expertly designed to defeat our own PP that just stands around. I bet practice time for the PP and PK is a never ending epic chess match of standing and staring.

The funny thing is that except for a couple really hot streaks last year, the same problems existed. The first half year the powerplay badly underperformed, and after the first six weeks, apparently the Oilers killed less than 80% of the powerplays against. The struggles didn't quite overlap like they are this year, but in three years of McLellan, this team has never had an absolutely dominant powerplay (despite a whole lot of all-world talent) and the penalty kill has been generally pretty mediocre too.

The thing is, I think the team does the same thing RDOF does and just believes that the players aren't working hard enough.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701898 is a reply to message #701895 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:43

The funny thing is that except for a couple really hot streaks last year, the same problems existed. The first half year the powerplay badly underperformed, and after the first six weeks, apparently the Oilers killed less than 80% of the powerplays against. The struggles didn't quite overlap like they are this year, but in three years of McLellan, this team has never had an absolutely dominant powerplay (despite a whole lot of all-world talent) and the penalty kill has been generally pretty mediocre too.

The thing is, I think the team does the same thing RDOF does and just believes that the players aren't working hard enough.

It really is all about the players trying hard and doing things the "right way".

The definition of the "right way" is something I'm still trying to figure out. I think it might just be about effort too, and the result, actually maybe just the result. Try hard + good things happens = you did it right way. Try hard + bad thing happened = you did something the wrong way. Don't try hard + good thing happened = you probably did it the right way. Don't try hard + bad result = mention in McLellan's post game.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701899 is a reply to message #701898 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:49

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:43

It really is all about the players trying hard and doing things the "right way".

The definition of the "right way" is something I'm still trying to figure out. I think it might just be about effort too, and the result, actually maybe just the result. Try hard + good things happens = you did it right way. Try hard + bad thing happened = you did something the wrong way. Don't try hard + good thing happened = you probably did it the right way. Don't try hard + bad result = mention in McLellan's post game.

Maybe the players need to put it on their dream boards too for it to come true.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701887 is a reply to message #701873 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Okay a lil hockey 101. Baba style.

There are many options for a coach on the PK. While grit and hard-working are a key factor it means nothing if each hand doesn't know what butt to wipe. This is where systems come in. It's a basic plan usually with a few contingencies worked in so every player knows what to do next without thinking. These are the things that need to be drilled endlessly so that when you have no time to think about a play you can react and make the right play from instinct and muscle memory.

As for the PK. Here are a few possible setups.

Large box- In this setup the penalty killers form a large box shaped unit. The whole purpose of this setup is to limit the amount of time a power play has to make plays from the side board or point position. Puck side forward pressures the play at the point or side boards while others take passing lanes. Good for teams with high scoring defensemen.

Passive Box-. This setup is similar to the Large Box with one key difference. Instead of attacking pucks on the boards and points the unit let's the power play have them. Instead they rely on shot blocking and shutting down the slot. Useful against a team with weak dmen but strong forwards.

Diamond- This is a hybrid of the two above. Instead of a box the unit is shaped like a Diamond. With a Winger covering the point, a center and a dman covering the side boards and the remaining d-man in front of the net. This type of PK relies on quick sticks in passing lanes and limiting time and space. It also requires a lot of dynamic movement and thought process decision making so it's suited to higher skilled PK players.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701890 is a reply to message #701887 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:30

Okay a lil hockey 101. Baba style.

There are many options for a coach on the PK. While grit and hard-working are a key factor it means nothing if each hand doesn't know what butt to wipe. This is where systems come in. It's a basic plan usually with a few contingencies worked in so every player knows what to do next without thinking. These are the things that need to be drilled endlessly so that when you have no time to think about a play you can react and make the right play from instinct and muscle memory.

As for the PK. Here are a few possible setups.

Large box- In this setup the penalty killers form a large box shaped unit. The whole purpose of this setup is to limit the amount of time a power play has to make plays from the side board or point position. Puck side forward pressures the play at the point or side boards while others take passing lanes. Good for teams with high scoring defensemen.

Passive Box-. This setup is similar to the Large Box with one key difference. Instead of attacking pucks on the boards and points the unit let's the power play have them. Instead they rely on shot blocking and shutting down the slot. Useful against a team with weak dmen but strong forwards.

Diamond- This is a hybrid of the two above. Instead of a box the unit is shaped like a Diamond. With a Winger covering the point, a center and a dman covering the side boards and the remaining d-man in front of the net. This type of PK relies on quick sticks in passing lanes and limiting time and space. It also requires a lot of dynamic movement and thought process decision making so it's suited to higher skilled PK players.

You just made my point. Not exactly a ton to choose from.

Re: Yamamoto to Juniors [message #701975 is a reply to message #701825 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 16:30 Go to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Good. I have been saying it for a few games now. Finally my talk with Craig and Kevin sank through. :)

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Previous Topic:Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13)
Next Topic:Upcoming Road Trip
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca