This day on January 19
None

Happy Birthday To: polarbear, Mr_Huynh, ronster, Da_Real_Huynh, ProngerFTW, harveyfan, Unihockeypolska, Backstop69, Dextreme, bogz

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Puljujarvi for Kreider?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #701296]
Tue, 31 October 2017 11:39 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Twitter's rumour du jour.

Last year's 4th overall pick for a 26 year old who averages 40-50 points.

That would be a disappointing deal in the short-term...unless Puljujarvi never really develops.

It would certainly be a deal for right now which would make the team better in the short-term. From that point of view, it's not bad. He's another left-shooting left winger though so he doesn't really address the area of greatest need.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #701299 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Tue, 31 October 2017 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

In a world where you can trade Lucic after the deal, maybe that makes sense. But I don't think we live in that world at the moment.

He has 2 seasons left after this year at an AAV of 4.625M. So it's a pretty fair contract for a consistent 20 goal scorer. Unless you are getting somebody demonstrably better than Maroon or Lucic on the left side though, it is not worth giving up Puljuljarvi. He should be getting traded for something we need (2RW or a top 4 RD).

For what it's worth though, I think we should be happy if Puljuljarvi exceeds a 20 goal 50 point scorer.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 October 2017 12:03]

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #701300 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Tue, 31 October 2017 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

That would be right up Chiarelli's alley, lose another trade and waste another AAA asset.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #701302 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Tue, 31 October 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

The rumours of Pacioretty and Kreider kind of suggest that Maroon extension talk isn't going so well, hey?

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #701305 is a reply to message #701302 ]
Tue, 31 October 2017 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 31 October 2017 13:37

The rumours of Pacioretty and Kreider kind of suggest that Maroon extension talk isn't going so well, hey?

Maybe. I have to think that this would be a difficult contract to get done.

On one hand you have Maroon's side. He's well liked, important guy on the team and puts up good numbers. For whatever reason, he clicks with McDavid.

On the other hand you have the Oilers. I am sure they like him, they appreciate what he does for the team and how important he is. Before coming to the Oilers, his career high was 11 goals. He comes to the Oilers, he clicks with McDavid and he takes off. He's played 107 games with the Oilers and have 39 goals. That's pretty damn good. But how inflated are his numbers with McDavid?

I am sure Maroon wants to be paid like a guy who's pushing 30 goals while the Oilers want to pay him like the 15 goal guy he is away from McDavid.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #701317 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Tue, 31 October 2017 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 31 October 2017 11:39

Twitter's rumour du jour.

Last year's 4th overall pick for a 26 year old who averages 40-50 points.

That would be a disappointing deal in the short-term...unless Puljujarvi never really develops.

It would certainly be a deal for right now which would make the team better in the short-term. From that point of view, it's not bad. He's another left-shooting left winger though so he doesn't really address the area of greatest need.

Might actually be a bit interested if he was right handed, but he is not. He definitely plays the Chia style. Big body, brute force into every situation, loves running goalies. Actually really fast too, bonus.

But, if you're trading Pulju, I'd rather put him together with a 1st rounder and even a bit more to get an actual player we need.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702085 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

How about Grabner? You want speed? You want a history of playing the PK? You want finish? Grabner checks those boxes and sure as heck shouldn't cost Pulju.

Doesn't have a history of big producing seasons, but he can finish when he gets chances. Need to play with good players that can get moving with him. I think we have at least 1 really fast playmaker.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702086 is a reply to message #702085 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I fully expect Chia to add a forward at some point. I am guessing someone with an expiring contract. Who that is will be interesting to see.

Another interesting guy would be Marchessault from Vegas. He's a UFA as well only making 750k. He's not very big at 5'9 174, right shot but he is scrappy as he had over 100 hits last year. I think he's a good skater he and had 30 goals last year. When you have guys like Maroon and Lucic patrolling the left side, you can get away with smaller guys on the other side. He's got 4 goals, 9 pts in 10 games for Vegas. He's only 26, I would have thought he might be a guy that Vegas would want to keep and I kind of thought they would have gave him an extension when they got him. But maybe they are waiting to see.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 November 2017 14:14]

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702090 is a reply to message #702086 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

I'm still interested in Leivo out of TO. He's stuck behind some pretty skilled wingers there. Had 5 goals in 12 games in 2015/16 but now only seems to get spot duty. Wouldn't think it'd cost a whole lot to acquire him either. He's listed as a LW though...wonder if he can play the right side. He's also a right hand shot, which is nice.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702091 is a reply to message #702090 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I hear Leivo's name a lot. Is he a good skater? I think the Oilers lack some speed at forward.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702092 is a reply to message #702091 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Apparently Kypreos (sp?) bought up a discussion about would you do a Nurse for Marner deal. Don't think I'd make that one. It seems like Nurse has been around forever, but the kid's only what, 22? Seems to be making huge strides this season, and has been our best or second best d man this year. No doubt Marner can put the puck in the net, but Nurse is the d man we've been waiting for and is only going to get better.

Scoring wingers like Marner you can get for a 3rd liner like Strome apparently deadhorse

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702093 is a reply to message #702092 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Marner and what?

It's becoming pretty apparent that Nurse is on pace to be at WORSt a big, skate like the wind, physical, nasty, shut down top 4 dman. The points aren't coming yet but he's getting better and better at rushing and moving the puck. I don't see Nurse as a big point producer, probably a 20 - 25 guy, maybe the odd 30 pt year but when you are a guy who can skate like that at his size, you can be a 20+ min dman for the next 15 yrs.

It would take a hell of a lot more than Marner to get Nurse. I am of the opinion and always have been that you build your team at center and on defense.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702094 is a reply to message #702093 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 16:20

Marner and what?

It's becoming pretty apparent that Nurse is on pace to be at WORSt a big, skate like the wind, physical, nasty, shut down top 4 dman. The points aren't coming yet but he's getting better and better at rushing and moving the puck. I don't see Nurse as a big point producer, probably a 20 - 25 guy, maybe the odd 30 pt year but when you are a guy who can skate like that at his size, you can be a 20+ min dman for the next 15 yrs.

It would take a hell of a lot more than Marner to get Nurse. I am of the opinion and always have been that you build your team at center and on defense.

Didn't you hear? Marner is the 2nd coming of Patrick Kane. Probably would take Drai+Nurse to get him.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702103 is a reply to message #702094 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Lot's of Oiler fans around the interwebs not in favour of a Marner for Nurse swap. If it is one for one, I would do that pretty quickly.

Without Nurse, we have 3 LD signed for long term already. Sekera and Klefbom are rocks (I hope), and then unfortunately we have to count on 4 more years of Russell. Eventually, one of these 4 left shots will have to go right? It's a logjam.

And honestly, Marner has shown a lot more in my opinion. You could play him on the RW and fill a big hole. I like Nurse, but he hasn't shown that he can produce. He has 3 assists in 14 games. That isn't his game I guess, but how many of these guys should you have on your team when you already have Larsson and Russell? If you can flip him for a rookie who has scored 60 points, I would be pretty happy. I don't think the Leafs even consider this deal.

The ideal scenario would be to get a right shot puck moving defenseman for Nurse. Marner would be a pretty good return.

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702109 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Not worthy of another thread, so here:

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Oilers have had talks with Sabers inquired about Kane....APG

bdaysmile

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702118 is a reply to message #702109 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 20:57

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil

bdaysmile

Just say NO to him & Kreider. Not worth giving up the big assets to get them. Need a medium sized move that won't give up a barely half-full cupboard of prospects.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702119 is a reply to message #702118 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 12:25

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil

bdaysmile

Just say NO to him & Kreider. Not worth giving up the big assets to get them. Need a medium sized move that won't give up a barely half-full cupboard of prospects.

Yeah - I would wonder about a team looking to move their top scorer - a PPG winger with 3 SHG this year. Seems like a pretty desirable stat line.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702123 is a reply to message #702118 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 09:25

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil

bdaysmile

Other than that he's a left wing on an expiring contract, I'd take Evander Kane.

Not a great person, but a decent hockey player. 15 points in 15 games so far this year, so it would probably cost a mint to get him.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702140 is a reply to message #702123 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 10:15

Jakey wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 09:25

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil

bdaysmile

Other than that he's a left wing on an expiring contract, I'd take Evander Kane.

Not a great person, but a decent hockey player. 15 points in 15 games so far this year, so it would probably cost a mint to get him.

His crap reputation might actually scare a lot of teams away. Just wishfully thinking? Think he has issues with abusing women, being a general d-bag, skipping practice, all that good stuff. Or are we the only team that gives a discount based on player reputation?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702142 is a reply to message #702140 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 14:22 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 14:03

His crap reputation might actually scare a lot of teams away. Just wishfully thinking? Think he has issues with abusing women, being a general d-bag, skipping practice, all that good stuff. Or are we the only team that gives a discount based on player reputation?

I don't think we're the only team that GETS a discount based on player reputation, but we do have a GM who's willing to discount his ASK based on player reputation.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702126 is a reply to message #701296 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Man, if people kept healing "character issues" on Taylor Hall, can you imagine Evander Kane who had a court hearing for harassment and assault (later dropped as not criminal, but still criticized and called boorish by the judge)?

Not the easiest player to cheer for, despite the good things he brings on the ice.

Re: Puljujarvi for Kreider? [message #702137 is a reply to message #702126 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg is currently online OilPeg

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 11:18

Man, if people kept healing "character issues" on Taylor Hall, can you imagine Evander Kane who had a court hearing for harassment and assault (later dropped as not criminal, but still criticized and called boorish by the judge)?

Not the easiest player to cheer for, despite the good things he brings on the ice.

He couldn't get out of Winnipeg fast enough, it would be absolutely hilarious to see him traded back to Canada. On the ice, he's amazing as far as his effort goes. His hockey sense is brutal and his shot selection worse. He's a very head down type of guy, often won't even see the other player on a two on one.

He was easy to cheer for on the ice though because his effort level truly is top notch. His speed would be an asset to the Oilers as well. Only problem is I don't really remember him playing much on the right side.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Previous Topic:Maroon's next contract
Next Topic:How about Nash?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca