This day on December 17
None

Happy Birthday To: pupper, amandeepman88, killerabbie, nev'z87, Oilerifik, idekoning

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699874]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   85%
Winnipeg to win:   15%
53 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699875 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Ha ha ha... game review thread with 10 minutes left in the third. Looks like the bot has already given up on this game as well.

Good times.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699876 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

One good period out of the last six.

Not a great start to the season.

And a penalty to Yamamoto to put the dagger in.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699878 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Lucky fans, get to see a natural hat trick every night in Rogers Place so far.

That was some impressive scatterbrained garbage hockey again. Always makes me feel smart when the head coach starts to show he's just as confused about what he has as I am.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 October 2017 21:45]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699880 is a reply to message #699878 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

I guess one appearance in the playoffs in a decade is enough credit to rest on your laurels if you’re Chia And TMac. Going to be a long season if everyone takes the night off because Connor is playing.

Well, friends the time has come to usher in a new era. One in which we hold our heads high and proudly say, "We were Oilers once, and men too"

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699883 is a reply to message #699880 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McLellan needs to earn his coin and find a way to make it work with Drai as the #2C. This team needs multiple lines consistently putting pressure on teams. McDavid/Drai together is way too big of a crutch for him so he can just leave his other lines looking like they're wandering in the desert just hoping to break even.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 October 2017 22:06]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699881 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

4 Cups

That Benning-Russell pairing is TROUBLE.

As is our RW. Strome on line three, Cagguila a healthy scratch, and Puljujarvi in the AHL meaning a revolving door of Kassian, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, and Yamamoto in the Top-6.

This team will probably make the playoffs, but they have less depth than last year, and I'd be shocked if they live up to the hype many in the media have for them. Unless something changes, we'll likely see some of the bumpy, up-and-down play for much of this year, I think.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699884 is a reply to message #699881 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 21:55

As is our RW. Strome on line three, Cagguila a healthy scratch, and Puljujarvi in the AHL meaning a revolving door of Kassian, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, and Yamamoto in the Top-6.

This team will probably make the playoffs, but they have less depth than last year, and I'd be shocked if they live up to the hype many in the media have for them. Unless something changes, we'll likely see some of the bumpy, up-and-down play for much of this year, I think.

To be fair, I think the whole game plan for Chiarelli is to trade our first round pick at the trade deadline...so there could be right wing help coming...it's just 5 months away still.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699885 is a reply to message #699884 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 22:08

To be fair, I think the whole game plan for Chiarelli is to trade our first round pick at the trade deadline...so there could be right wing help coming...it's just 5 months away still.

Boy are you gonna be surprised when we sign Iginla this week!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699886 is a reply to message #699885 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 22:12

Not really - dumb moves made in panic by Oilers management is kind of par for the course, isn't it?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699887 is a reply to message #699886 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 22:13

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 22:12

Not really - dumb moves made in panic by Oilers management is kind of par for the course, isn't it?

Wouldn't even be surprised if it was for 3M base with 2M of bonuses? Come on, that would have to shock even the most pessimistic Oilers fan.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699882 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Lucic looks pretty good so far this season.

Nothing really jumping out at me with Strome yet.

Team misses Sekera.

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699889 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

2nd pair is struggling right now. Russell on the ice for 5 SF/17 SA, Benning 6 SF/19 SA. That's not going to get it done. Nurse was the next worse at 11 SF/12 SA. And that's with both of them playing the majority of their 5x5 minutes with McDavid.

How much longer do you go until you break them up? Either Klefbom/Larsson have to start playing 30min a night, or I think you have to make a change.

I would probably go:

Klef/Benning
Nurse/Larsson
Russell/Gryba

There's risk in putting Benning on the top pair for sure, but give them more offensive minutes, and make Nurse/Larsson your shutdown pair. Nurse can at least move the puck a bit on the 2nd pair. 3rd pair can't move the puck at all, but I don't know what else you can do without a major acquisition.

Numbers from naturalstattrick.com

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: 9 games

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699897 is a reply to message #699889 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 22:35

2nd pair is struggling right now. Russell on the ice for 5 SF/17 SA, Benning 6 SF/19 SA. That's not going to get it done. Nurse was the next worse at 11 SF/12 SA. And that's with both of them playing the majority of their 5x5 minutes with McDavid.

How much longer do you go until you break them up? Either Klefbom/Larsson have to start playing 30min a night, or I think you have to make a change.

I would probably go:

Klef/Benning
Nurse/Larsson
Russell/Gryba

There's risk in putting Benning on the top pair for sure, but give them more offensive minutes, and make Nurse/Larsson your shutdown pair. Nurse can at least move the puck a bit on the 2nd pair. 3rd pair can't move the puck at all, but I don't know what else you can do without a major acquisition.

Numbers from naturalstattrick.com

I hope you aren't implying that the woes of the second pairing is Russell's fault? Benning is handling the puck worse than Gryba and he doesn't seem to know how to defend right now. What the hell was he doing on the first Horvat goal? I thought he had a decent angle on him then he doesn't turn the right way and lets Horvat go right around him.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699905 is a reply to message #699897 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 07:28

I hope you aren't implying that the woes of the second pairing is Russell's fault? Benning is handling the puck worse than Gryba and he doesn't seem to know how to defend right now. What the hell was he doing on the first Horvat goal? I thought he had a decent angle on him then he doesn't turn the right way and lets Horvat go right around him.

I don't think either of them have been very good, or should be playing in the top 4 right now. But Benning gets the bump because I'm definitely not putting Gryba with Klefbom.

It's ugly no matter how you shuffle it. But Chia chose to start the season with 2 healthy top 4 D, so here we are.

ETA: the Jets 3rd goal was a perfect example of why continually ceding the blue line to attacking forwards is dangerous. Ehlers started in his own zone, Benning and Russell (Benning is more to blame here as Ehlers came in on his side), backed all the way to the dots and allowed Ehlers to skate right into the slot for a shot. At some point you've got to challenge him and force him to make a play.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 October 2017 10:28]

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: 9 games

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699906 is a reply to message #699905 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

When your "big offseason moves" are signing 2 RFA's that were going to be signed anyways then I knew this would be a season of regression.

We knew of the Sekera injury in June. Also we have been talking about the weakness on RW since about that time as well.

How do you just stand pat the entire offseason?

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699909 is a reply to message #699906 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 10:35

When your "big offseason moves" are signing 2 RFA's that were going to be signed anyways then I knew this would be a season of regression.

We knew of the Sekera injury in June. Also we have been talking about the weakness on RW since about that time as well.

You're forgetting - we signed Jokinen!

Although I think we're going to see the same issue with him that we did with Pouliot. McLellan's system strangles offence out of secondary scorers. Unless he gets a push on to a top line, I wouldn't be expecting to see him top the 28 points he got last year...even if he plays all 82 games.

Three games in and no goals from the third or fourth line. Four goals from the first line, and three goals from the second (Russell scored while out with the 2nd line), and that's it. Only 4 players have scored goals. For a team that's supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender, that's not good news.

Maybe they just need a couple of tweaks this week and they'll be off to the races, but I'm not seeing a lot of chances generated where it's not McDavid, Draisaitl or Nuge driving it. And there's way too many wasted shots from the perimeter, which has killed off rushes. The team is too happy to give up possession.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699912 is a reply to message #699909 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 11:01

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 10:35

You're forgetting - we signed Jokinen!

Although I think we're going to see the same issue with him that we did with Pouliot. McLellan's system strangles offence out of secondary scorers. Unless he gets a push on to a top line, I wouldn't be expecting to see him top the 28 points he got last year...even if he plays all 82 games.

Three games in and no goals from the third or fourth line. Four goals from the first line, and three goals from the second (Russell scored while out with the 2nd line), and that's it. Only 4 players have scored goals. For a team that's supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender, that's not good news.

Maybe they just need a couple of tweaks this week and they'll be off to the races, but I'm not seeing a lot of chances generated where it's not McDavid, Draisaitl or Nuge driving it. And there's way too many wasted shots from the perimeter, which has killed off rushes. The team is too happy to give up possession.

And the sad thing is, Jokinen was the best move PC made all summer :s Don't get me wrong, I still very much approve of the signing, but if that is the best you can do despite losing your #3D for 1/2 the season and having known holes in the top 9... that is just bad GM-ing.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699913 is a reply to message #699912 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

So anyone want to make the case that giving away Eberle for cap space only too throw it at Russell was a good idea. Would sure be nice to have a real first line winger on this team.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699914 is a reply to message #699913 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 13:36

So anyone want to make the case that giving away Eberle for cap space only too throw it at Russell was a good idea. Would sure be nice to have a real first line winger on this team.

I'd even take a real second line RW...

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699915 is a reply to message #699914 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 16:41

That has been this team's MO for years. Identify a position of weakness, then pillage a position of strength to address that weakness...creating a new weakness. Everyone remember the stay at home D for puck moving D for stay at home D from 05-08 or so?

They keep swinging the pendulum as far out as they can. Would be nice for them to identify and address the things that everyone else seems to see as glaring issues.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699916 is a reply to message #699915 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 13:51

That has been this team's MO for years. Identify a position of weakness, then pillage a position of strength to address that weakness...creating a new weakness. Everyone remember the stay at home D for puck moving D for stay at home D from 05-08 or so?

They keep swinging the pendulum as far out as they can. Would be nice for them to identify and address the things that everyone else seems to see as glaring issues.

Listen, the boxes have been checked, so shut up. Besides, it's waaaaay to early in the season to even THINK about forming an opinion and Chiarelli has won a damn cup. Have you won a cup? That's what I thought. So, I'll repeat myself. Shut. Up.

Threadly reminder McDavid will be taking 8.725 million more in cap space next season. The time to win is now. Actually, I'm going to make this my new signature so everyone can be reminded every time I post. Thanks me. I'm doing good things here. :)

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699920 is a reply to message #699916 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 14:18

Listen, the boxes have been checked, so shut up. Besides, it's waaaaay to early in the season to even THINK about forming an opinion and Chiarelli has won a damn cup. Have you won a cup? That's what I thought. So, I'll repeat myself. Shut. Up.

Threadly reminder McDavid will be taking 8.725 million more in cap space next season. The time to win is now. Actually, I'm going to make this my new signature so everyone can be reminded every time I post. Thanks me. I'm doing good things here. :)

Also, you should remind everyone about the grit and size that we've brought to the team? This is a team that isn't going to be easy to play against. Skill, schmill. We've got gritensity.

Also Jordan Eberle was a floater, Taylor Hall was a dressing room cancer, Benoit Pouliot had an attitude problem, Justin Schultz was the worst defenceman to ever play the game, and if you have to ask about Devan Dubnyk, then you already know the answer.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699928 is a reply to message #699916 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 17:18

Still disappointed in you so no, I will not shut up.

But you're right - the 4+ months since the season ended was not enough for me to look at the roster and identify problems. Especially is Chiarelli did not see any problems. I will refrain from expressing my concern for our RW and D depth until...February? February good?

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699941 is a reply to message #699928 ]
Wed, 11 October 2017 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 19:08

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 17:18

Still disappointed in you so no, I will not shut up.

But you're right - the 4+ months since the season ended was not enough for me to look at the roster and identify problems. Especially is Chiarelli did not see any problems. I will refrain from expressing my concern for our RW and D depth until...February? February good?

For the record, I picked Anaheim who was beaten by Phila playing their 3rd road game in 4 nights. I made a smart pick dammit, not a homer pick.

Also, don't forget about goaltending depth. While Talbot was great last year, he's far from a sure thing and the backup situation is Conklin / Morrison / Markkanen bad. If he continues to struggle....

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699921 is a reply to message #699915 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

To be fair, it's only ONE of their MOs. They also like to try to draft their way out of a problem with the current roster. Remember the draft where they tried to pick about 8 different potential Milan Lucics? Or how about a couple years ago where they almost only picked defencemen?

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699935 is a reply to message #699921 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 16:12

To be fair, it's only ONE of their MOs. They also like to try to draft their way out of a problem with the current roster. Remember the draft where they tried to pick about 8 different potential Milan Lucics? Or how about a couple years ago where they almost only picked defencemen?

That was the funniest part about the Lucic signing for me... for years and years they were trying to draft the a "Lucic-type" forward and get the "next Lucic", and then literally none of them turned out and they were like, "eff this, we'll just sign him in the twilight of his career!"

Meanwhile, the newly acquired Maroon is doing everything they had been hoping and looking for.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699896 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So was Caggiula hurt last night? Or was he healthy scratched?

Long break now (awfully early in the season to get that many days off), so hopefully the team can pull it together.

I still think it's a problem that we have 9-10 bottom six forwards and only 4-5 top six forwards. I tend to agree that Draisaitl needs to be on his own line and driving the play there too, because there's not enough depth to load up that top line all game - even with Nugent-Hopkins playing well.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699898 is a reply to message #699896 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 08:25

Long break now (awfully early in the season to get that many days off), so hopefully the team can pull it together.

I still think it's a problem that we have 9-10 bottom six forwards and only 4-5 top six forwards. I tend to agree that Draisaitl needs to be on his own line and driving the play there too, because there's not enough depth to load up that top line all game - even with Nugent-Hopkins playing well.

Re: Caggiula: At first I heard he'd been banged up, then I read he was a healthy scratch, so who knows.

Interesting to hear on the news this morning that T-Mac was calling out our top line for not being good enough. I thought they played pretty well. McDavid's line had them penned in their own end all night long, and I thought the Nuge-Lucic line played well too.

Would sure be nice to have a decent option for top 6 RW that wasn't named Draisatl and a better d man or two, but we've been saying that for two years now...

I hear Yak potted a couple of goals last night :)

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699899 is a reply to message #699898 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 08:42

Re: Caggiula: At first I heard he'd been banged up, then I read he was a healthy scratch, so who knows.

Interesting to hear on the news this morning that T-Mac was calling out our top line for not being good enough. I thought they played pretty well. McDavid's line had them penned in their own end all night long, and I thought the Nuge-Lucic line played well too.

Would sure be nice to have a decent option for top 6 RW that wasn't named Draisatl and a better d man or two, but we've been saying that for two years now...

I still don't get why it's unfathomable to play Nuge on RW. I think he's been playing some of his best hockey in years so far this year (a continuation of his playoffs last year), but I am still not confident he is good enough to carry a 2nd line himself, one that is generating chances consistently. The other best hockey he played in years was when he was with Drai for half a game last year, just by accident during a blender session. Strome hasn't actually been that bad in his 3rd line role, his line has done well enough to put some pressure on teams, so try Nuge on RW in the top 6 damn it McLellan!

And just want to make another prayer that Pulju finds his game soon in the AHL.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 October 2017 08:51]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699900 is a reply to message #699899 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 08:45

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 08:42

I still don't get why it's unfathomable to play Nuge on RW. I think he's been playing some of his best hockey in years so far this year (a continuation of his playoffs last year), but I am still not confident he is good enough to carry a 2nd line himself, one that is generating chances consistently. The other best hockey he played in years was when he was with Drai for half a game last year, just by accident during a blender session. Strome hasn't actually been that bad in his 3rd line role, his line has done well enough to put some pressure on teams, so try Nuge on RW in the top 6 damn it McLellan!

I agree with you. As good of a line it can be, I think the Oilers best line up is having Leon and McDavid driving their own lines. Its too much putting your eggs in one basket when you load up one line. I think I had different line combos in another thread but suggest they could put Nuge on the wing. If you had the Maroon - McDavid - Nuge line. You'd had the big body, go to the net in Maroon, the warp speed, insane skill of McDavid and the savy, some defensive reliability, decent speed, good head for the game in Nuge. Tell Nuge that his job is to shoot, he's got a good snap shot. Plus Nuge is 40% on faceoffs so he's still struggling.Then you have the HUGE line as your second. Lucic - 6'3, 236, Leon - 6'2, 215, Slep 6'2-221. Down low they would be impossible to get the puck off. Lucic is the net guy, Leon is the elite that can skate decently and Slep is a good skater and has a heavy shot. But you'd have 2 lines that should be able to score but are different styles. The first line you have to worry about getting torched on break aways with McDavid, then the second you get the hell beat out of you because you have 3 big guys to push you around.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699901 is a reply to message #699899 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lucic at this point in his career should be the third best guy on a top two line...but there's no one on the right flank that is any better than him. Yamamoto's not ready. Puljujarvi is in the minors. Slepyshev, Caggiula, Kassian are all bottom six players. Strome? I really don't know what we have there. He certainly hasn't won over his coach.

If Lucic is the best we can put with Nugent-Hopkins, it means #93 has to drive the bus by himself on that line. And that's IF Lucic isn't trying to lug the puck himself, which he often does with little positive results.

If you're going to double up centres on a top two line, I'd like to see Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl play together. McDavid is great and can create without the other two there. He's more capable of dragging a right winger along, so why not load up Line 2 and hope that adds some more scoring punch?

It worries me to hear McLellan going off on the top line about pushing for offence too much, because the team hasn't looked that capable of producing anything outside of the first line. We're sitting on 7 goals in 3 games. It's one thing if it was like Babcock's comment on the Leafs (who have 19 in the same three game span) but the team isn't scoring and the depth doesn't even threaten the other net, so McDavid's line better push for goals...we can't win all the games 1-0.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699902 is a reply to message #699901 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 09:07

Lucic at this point in his career should be the third best guy on a top two line...but there's no one on the right flank that is any better than him. Yamamoto's not ready. Puljujarvi is in the minors. Slepyshev, Caggiula, Kassian are all bottom six players. Strome? I really don't know what we have there. He certainly hasn't won over his coach.

If Lucic is the best we can put with Nugent-Hopkins, it means #93 has to drive the bus by himself on that line. And that's IF Lucic isn't trying to lug the puck himself, which he often does with little positive results.

If you're going to double up centres on a top two line, I'd like to see Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl play together. McDavid is great and can create without the other two there. He's more capable of dragging a right winger along, so why not load up Line 2 and hope that adds some more scoring punch?

It worries me to hear McLellan going off on the top line about pushing for offence too much, because the team hasn't looked that capable of producing anything outside of the first line. We're sitting on 7 goals in 3 games. It's one thing if it was like Babcock's comment on the Leafs (who have 19 in the same three game span) but the team isn't scoring and the depth doesn't even threaten the other net, so McDavid's line better push for goals...we can't win all the games 1-0.

I think McLellan is mainly talking mainly about 1 play with regard to McDavid/Drai. The end of the PK before the 3rd goal. McDavid and Drai are gambling up the ice before our guy is out of the box, and we allow a clear 3 on 2 rush with no back check in sight from McDavid/Drai. Just a horrible sequence, and McLellan likes to fixate on single events. The D didn't play that rush well at all either of course.

And for sure, McLellan is all about defensive details. None of us should hold our breath hoping for some elite coaching for offensive zone play. McLellan all about about defensive structure (which unfortunately still includes the ring around the boards, and that little chip pass off the boards to the middle just inside our blue line that still seems to surprise teammates all the time) and just talent alone doing whatever it wants to do will take care of the offensive zone for him (we hope). While a guy like Babcock is constantly ranting about how all his guys have to do their job in the offensive zone and things will go bad when anyone tries to do too much. We seem to be all about everyone trying to do too much in the offensive zone and it's not gonna change any time soon.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 October 2017 10:07]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699917 is a reply to message #699898 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 07:42

Don't be too impressed, the 2nd was an EN

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699934 is a reply to message #699917 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 15:30

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 07:42

Don't be too impressed, the 2nd was an EN

Alternative narrative: Avs have Yakupov out protecting a tight lead.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699904 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Poor effort... real poor effort. Too many arrant passes, too many passengers and our defensive pairings are all kinds of ugly.

What's the deal with Benning? He's been horrible these last two games.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699931 is a reply to message #699904 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

That must be why the Oilers are known as the boys on the bus!

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699994 is a reply to message #699874 ]
Fri, 13 October 2017 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So, Drai may have a concussion from getting a stick to around his eye (think it was an uncalled high stick while we were on the PP). Not playing vs Ottawa, McLellan made a remark about the injury affecting Drai's haid, possibly suggesting a concussion.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699995 is a reply to message #699994 ]
Fri, 13 October 2017 12:39 Go to previous message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

If only we had a first line RW capable of moving up to the first line...

That's pretty sad if true. The Oilers don't have anybody who can fill those shoes. Hope Nuge and Lucic can take over some games.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 October 2017 12:41]

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Previous Topic:GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Next Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca