F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » No 2017 Oilers Rookies - U of A Golden Bears game
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 No 2017 Oilers Rookies - U of A Golden Bears game [message #698534]
Tue, 22 August 2017 09:54 Go to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

This is too bad. I always looked forward to this game from the time I was a student watching Stoll and Comrie. It looks like they will be focusing on a game with the downtown colleges instead.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers /edmonton-oilers-prospects-will-play-combined-nait-macewan-t eam-in-annual-rookie-game

This is a step down in competition and a hit to the University athletics program.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: No 2017 Oilers Rookies - U of A Golden Bears game [message #698535 is a reply to message #698534 ]
Tue, 22 August 2017 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Tue, 22 August 2017 09:54

This is too bad. I always looked forward to this game from the time I was a student watching Stoll and Comrie. It looks like they will be focusing on a game with the downtown colleges instead.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers /edmonton-oilers-prospects-will-play-combined-nait-macewan-t eam-in-annual-rookie-game

This is a step down in competition and a hit to the University athletics program.

I don't really understand this. Why would you choose to play weaker competition and a combined squad? Do the Oilers just want to ensure they get the W? Or is this because it's a downtown game and so there's some spin-off economic benefit for the Oilers?

I'm guessing the latter - it's about money and how the Oilers can increase their take...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: No 2017 Oilers Rookies - U of A Golden Bears game [message #698539 is a reply to message #698535 ]
Tue, 22 August 2017 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

There is a bit in there about the Oilers trying to develop a business of hockey concept at MacEwen (whatever that means). It's vague (intentionally or not is hard to tell), but it sounds like the Oilers think they will benefit from this more long-term than the UofA game.

I don't think this hurts the Oilers (it's just one exhibition game), but it hurts the UofA.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: No 2017 Oilers Rookies - U of A Golden Bears game [message #698911 is a reply to message #698539 ]
Wed, 13 September 2017 14:57 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

..Oilers lineup for tonight's exhibition against McEwan/Nait...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/preview-oilers-rookies-vs-na itmacewan/c-291035282

..."Forwards

Gambardella - Butcher - Yamamoto
Maksimov - Bauer - Safin
Polei - Koch - Szypula
Pawlenchuk - Glover - Fix-Wolansky

Defence

Jones - Bear
Lagesson - Mantha
Paigin - Samorukov

Goal

Wells
Skinner"....

Re: No 2017 Oilers Rookies - U of A Golden Bears game [message #698538 is a reply to message #698534 ]
Tue, 22 August 2017 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Ok, I can see the McDavid year where they would move the game to Rexall but moving it to Rogers Place and having a lesser opponent kind of stinks.

U of A being the opponent and having it at Clare Drake was a tradition.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Previous Topic:New Arena construction!
Next Topic:Oilers select 3rd rd (#84) - Dmitri Samorukov
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca