Oilers » Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697643]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:10 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

You can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Elliotte Friedman‏ @FriedgeHNIC
EDM settles arb case with Joey LaLeggia. One year, two-way...$700K at NHL level.

Fire Chia!

I kid.

No one talking about his AHL salary though. This is actually a decrease from his last contract in terms of the NHL salary. Have to assume the Oilers gave him a little bump in AHL salary? Not sure what the limits are, but Ty Rattie will be making 225k in the minors next season, so there was definitely room for LaLeggia to improve over his 70k last year.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2017 13:14]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697644 is a reply to message #697643 ]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I can't even believe he filed for arbitration. What leverage does he think he has? He was a dman who the Oilers saw play and said. "We think you need to stop being a dman and play forward.' Not exactly a compelling argument I would think.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697645 is a reply to message #697644 ]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:18

I can't even believe he filed for arbitration. What leverage does he think he has? He was a dman who the Oilers saw play and said. "We think you need to stop being a dman and play forward.' Not exactly a compelling argument I would think.

Doubt he filed with any ill will. The Oilers were actually obligated to give him a qualifying offer of $874,125, which they did send him. He took 175k less than that. In the end he likely took a drop in potential NHL salary in exchange for a bump in AHL salary. Arbitration was likely done to just get the ball rolling and negotiations done ASAP so he's not waiting all summer for Chia to get to him, which is well within his rights to do.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2017 13:25]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697646 is a reply to message #697645 ]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:22

Doubt he filed with any ill will. The Oilers were actually obligated to give him a qualifying offer of $874,125, which they did send him. He took 175k less than that. In the end he likely took a drop in potential NHL salary in exchange for a bump in AHL salary. Arbitration was likely done to just get the ball rolling and negotiations done ASAP so he's not waiting all summer for Chia to get to him, which is well within his rights to do.

Exactly, this is the player version of a team qualifying an RFA. It isnt like they are expecting Draisaitl to play for the qualifying offer amount.

Not everything has to be assumed to be some kind of angry stand off.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697736 is a reply to message #697646 ]
Fri, 14 July 2017 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:27

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:22

Exactly, this is the player version of a team qualifying an RFA. It isnt like they are expecting Draisaitl to play for the qualifying offer amount.

Not everything has to be assumed to be some kind of angry stand off.

Maybe the Laleggia camp strongly suspected that Chiarelli is desperate to get off to the lake, and knew that he wouldn't want to spend the latter half of July preparing an arbitration case on some player he barely knows and probably wouldn't even recognize at the hearing. Brilliant move, because he just gives in early in order to avoid the hassle!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716593 is a reply to message #697736 ]
Mon, 02 July 2018 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

Joey LaLeggia no longer a part of the Oiler organization...trusts his future to the Blues...they gave him a two-year deal...

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/team/roster_offseason/

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716613 is a reply to message #716593 ]
Tue, 03 July 2018 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 02 July 2018 20:04

Joey LaLeggia no longer a part of the Oiler organization...trusts his future to the Blues...they gave him a two-year deal...

I wouldn't have minded him getting a call up towards the end of the year. Put up good AHL numbers, and I'm curious what the gap is between him and Drake Caggiula.

I don't think he'll ever be more than a fourth line NHLer if he reaches there at all. But he might have been a cheaper option if there wasn't a huge gap between them.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716623 is a reply to message #716593 ]
Tue, 03 July 2018 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 02 July 2018 20:04

Interesting to see both LaLeggia and Simpson manage to land two season pacts after not getting qualified by the Oilers.

Both would be considerable longshots to ever make the show. I was sorry last year to see Oesterle go, because I thought he had a shot...neither of these guys seem likely to move the needle though.

At least we haven't replaced them with a slew more JAGs like last summer's big signing spree...yet.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697733 is a reply to message #697643 ]
Fri, 14 July 2017 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

It's nice when a team and player avoid arbitration.

I have a feeling he will see the NHL roster this season.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716596 is a reply to message #697733 ]
Tue, 03 July 2018 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I have no issue with him being gone. The Oilers need to purge themselves of guys like him. Guys who are most likely non NHLers who don't have a role. Is he a dman or a winger?

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716624 is a reply to message #716596 ]
Tue, 03 July 2018 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 July 2018 08:08

Is he a dman or a winger?

Totally on board with everything else you have to say except this. Having the ability to play multiple positions is an asset, not a liability. It sure doesn't hurt Byfuglien and Burns that at times in their career they were considered forwards.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716629 is a reply to message #716624 ]
Wed, 04 July 2018 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 July 2018 22:58

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 July 2018 08:08

Is he a dman or a winger?

Totally on board with everything else you have to say except this. Having the ability to play multiple positions is an asset, not a liability. It sure doesn't hurt Byfuglien and Burns that at times in their career they were considered forwards.

Nice comparisons. 2 all stars. Is it handy that a guy can play multiple positions? Sure. But usually it's a good idea to be decent at them. LaLeggia is a below average dman even at the AHL level and a mediocre winger at the AHL level. At 26 yr old the chances of their being some untapped potential are pretty slim. No loss.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716644 is a reply to message #697733 ]
Wed, 04 July 2018 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 14 July 2017 16:54

Update: NOPE.

Hope he does well in St.Louis.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #716658 is a reply to message #716644 ]
Wed, 04 July 2018 12:38 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 04 July 2018 10:20

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 14 July 2017 16:54

Update: NOPE.

Hope he does well in St.Louis.

I don't. Do well likely means 2 goals against the Oilers, and that's it icon_wink

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Maroon to NJ for a 2019 3rd rounder & J.D. Dudek
Next Topic:Oilers Sign Kevin Gravel (nickname "Truck")
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca