This day on November 20
None

Happy Birthday To: d_ottosen, lambofgad, Ofer, JayStyles, oilpride5

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Stauffer -'experience & character' signing?Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697273]
Tue, 04 July 2017 21:37 Go to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

Caught a bit of the show today and Stauffer hinted at the Oilers possibly bringing in a player with 'experience and character'
Take that as you will - don't recall exactly what was said but he definitely said 'experience and character'...Doan? Iginla? Jagr? Missed anyone?!

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697278 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 20:37

Caught a bit of the show today and Stauffer hinted at the Oilers possibly bringing in a player with 'experience and character'
Take that as you will - don't recall exactly what was said but he definitely said 'experience and character'...Doan? Iginla? Jagr? Missed anyone?!

Heck, take all THREE!

$1M per, put them all on one line, call them the "Expendables"

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697287 is a reply to message #697278 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 23:29

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 20:37

Heck, take all THREE!

$1M per, put them all on one line, call them the "Expendables"

I would 100% take all three, LET OUR YOUNGER PLAYERS DEVELOP FOR ONCE IN A DECADE.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697279 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 21:37

Scott Hartnell, maybe?

I think any of them are reasonable bets to put up between 30-40 points. Which is more than I can say for the majority of our wingers right now.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697281 is a reply to message #697279 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 23:34

Scott Hartnell, maybe?

I think any of them are reasonable bets to put up between 30-40 points. Which is more than I can say for the majority of our wingers right now.

Hartnell signed with the Preds.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697282 is a reply to message #697279 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryanc182  is currently offline ryanc182

No Cups

Hartnell already signed in Nashville cheaply.

Hope it's Jagr! Sure he's old but he'd be good on the PP and still put up 46 pts last year. One a one year deal it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697280 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Really hope it's Jagr. He has much more game left in him than those other 2, even though he is much older.

Drai+Jagr could be pretty good together. If Lucic has his game back together, that line could dominate down low in the offensive zone for shifts at a time.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697283 is a reply to message #697280 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Jagr would still kill it on the PP. I'd take him any day in a one year deal.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697285 is a reply to message #697283 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

What about Vanek? Has he signed anywhere yet?

My money is on one of the Alberta boys - Iggy or Doan - Iginla signing would be cool just to see the reaction from Flames fans!! lol

Jagr makes most sense but who knows!? confused2

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697286 is a reply to message #697285 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 22:48

What about Vanek? Has he signed anywhere yet?

My money is on one of the Alberta boys - Iggy or Doan - Iginla signing would be cool just to see the reaction from Flames fans!! lol

Jagr makes most sense but who knows!? confused2

I like Jammy but I think he might be too much of a distraction for the team, any, or all three will suit me to a T.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697284 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Huh, missed the Hartnell signing. Thanks.

If it's Jagr or Iginla, I'm getting the jersey. icon_wink

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697342 is a reply to message #697284 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 23:47

Huh, missed the Hartnell signing. Thanks.

If it's Jagr or Iginla, I'm getting the jersey. icon_wink

Actually I'd love to see Iginla get a bounce in his play on a year deal with the Oilers, I think he'd be stoked to play for the Oilers. Both him and Jagr would throw up some points on the PP. This franchise has spent money much less effectively, clearly.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697288 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

My guess is Iggy. Leadership, PP and can cover off for short spells if there are injuries or guys struggling for a bit.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697289 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I don't expect any of the above. I don't think the Oilers can afford more bonus laden contracts, given the number of bonuses they already have on the books and the possibility of overage.

Each of those players, if they sign with someone, is likely to get several bonuses.

I expect to be underwhelmed. If I'm reading Chiarelli's press availability right, they want to leave spots for Puljujarvi and Slepyshev on the right wing. To me, that's basically duplicating what they did in 2014-15 with the centre position, but it's the Oilers way.

If that's so, then the areas of need for the Oilers are a 14th forward (unless they've pencilled in Ty Rattie to that spot) and a defenceman to cover off Sekera's absence.

Options would include Brian Campbell, Dennis Wideman (bonus: familiarity with Chiarelli!), Johnny Oduya. On forward, I'm thinking Matt Cullen, Scottie Upshall, Vern Fiddler.

I figure best to set your expectations low this summer...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697292 is a reply to message #697289 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiler8  is currently offline oiler8

No Cups

I'm not too hopeful about it, but would absolutely love to see Jagr here. I would actually be fine with a two year deal, provided the $$ is reasonable. Actually if it was a 3 year deal at 1.5 - 2 per year I'd do that too. it's not a lot and would be an easy contract to move.

Realistically, it probably won't happen, but who knows?

Only time will tell.

oiler8

"A Calgary Flames fan is like a Slinky. It isn't much good for anything, but it does bring a smile to your face when you push it down a set of stairs."

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697295 is a reply to message #697292 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiler8 wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 09:47

I'm not too hopeful about it, but would absolutely love to see Jagr here. I would actually be fine with a two year deal, provided the $$ is reasonable. Actually if it was a 3 year deal at 1.5 - 2 per year I'd do that too. it's not a lot and would be an easy contract to move.

Realistically, it probably won't happen, but who knows?

Only time will tell.

If I sign anyone over 35 years of age, I'm looking for very short deals. For guys 40 and up? There's no chance I'd sign anything more than a one-year contract.

Jagr's ageless, but he is 45...there will come a time when he can't play. That time isn't far off. I'm fine with them signing Jagr (although I really doubt they will), but it's a one-year deal or nothing for me.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697296 is a reply to message #697292 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I wouldn't mind signing a vet center (or winger) that can kill penalties and dominate in the face off dot. Someone who can mentor our young centers on the art of winning face offs much like Adam Oates did for Stoll and Horcoff back in the day.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697299 is a reply to message #697296 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 10:00

I wouldn't mind signing a vet center (or winger) that can kill penalties and dominate in the face off dot. Someone who can mentor our young centers on the art of winning face offs much like Adam Oates did for Stoll and Horcoff back in the day.

Although that was about the only thing Adam Oates did, and I think his influence was overblown, to be honest.

The head coach at the time had been a pretty solid faceoff guy himself, and both Stoll and Horcoff were getting older and stronger though that period, which I think helps. Also veteran centers are given more latitude to cheat on draws (case in point, Rod Brind'amour, who basically would come in sideways to every faceoff).

2 goals, 16 assists, for 18 points in 60 games. Oates was a pale shadow of his former self with the Oilers.

He's also a good reminder of how fast that drop-off can come. He'd scored 78 points two seasons earlier, then 45 in 67 games the year before and then he dropped off the cliff with the Oilers and did little more than wear the jersey in those games.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697387 is a reply to message #697292 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

A three year deal?!?!?!

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697294 is a reply to message #697289 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 08:55

I don't expect any of the above. I don't think the Oilers can afford more bonus laden contracts, given the number of bonuses they already have on the books and the possibility of overage.

Each of those players, if they sign with someone, is likely to get several bonuses.

I expect to be underwhelmed. If I'm reading Chiarelli's press availability right, they want to leave spots for Puljujarvi and Slepyshev on the right wing. To me, that's basically duplicating what they did in 2014-15 with the centre position, but it's the Oilers way.

If that's so, then the areas of need for the Oilers are a 14th forward (unless they've pencilled in Ty Rattie to that spot) and a defenceman to cover off Sekera's absence.

Options would include Brian Campbell, Dennis Wideman (bonus: familiarity with Chiarelli!), Johnny Oduya. On forward, I'm thinking Matt Cullen, Scottie Upshall, Vern Fiddler.

I figure best to set your expectations low this summer...

Campbell would actually be a good add IMO. He can still play at a high end for 15-20 a night. A good guy to fill in with Sek out. Good mentor for the younger D as well. One of the smartest D around.

What's wrong with bonuses in deals for older guys? If Jagr wants a 5M deal that is mostly bonuses, oh well, just consider him a 5 cap hit and assume the bonuses will be hit. Like McDavid is a 3.8M cap hit from day 1. I think you will have a very good idea of what bonuses a guy like Jagr will hit at the trade deadline, so need to make your decisions accordingly at that point if you want to risk going over.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 10:01]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697297 is a reply to message #697294 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think Brian Campbell would be a great pick-up. Like you said, would fit in quite well for Sek and who knows, maybe he would outplay some other guys. Lots of playoff experience too, so assuming we're healthy on the back end come playoff time we would already have rental depth.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697298 is a reply to message #697297 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiler8  is currently offline oiler8

No Cups

Actually, I often wish that the NHL would do contracts that had option years. Sign Jagr (Campbell, Iginla, etc) to a 1 year deal with a team option for the second year. I'm sure players wouldn't like them as much, but it would work the other way too with a 1 year deal and a player option. It would certainly make things more interesting.

oiler8

"A Calgary Flames fan is like a Slinky. It isn't much good for anything, but it does bring a smile to your face when you push it down a set of stairs."

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697300 is a reply to message #697298 ]
Wed, 05 July 2017 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiler8 wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 10:13

Actually, I often wish that the NHL would do contracts that had option years. Sign Jagr (Campbell, Iginla, etc) to a 1 year deal with a team option for the second year. I'm sure players wouldn't like them as much, but it would work the other way too with a 1 year deal and a player option. It would certainly make things more interesting.

It used to be that way quite often, but option years were eliminated in the various CBA negotiations. It would make it much more difficult to calculate AAV of a contract if you didn't know how many years it would actually be.

I don't think it is a big deal though. If you want a player to stay, you just make it worth their while, and most older players aren't going to ask for more each year (although Jagr's has actually gone up over his last three contracts).

You'll note that Teemu Selanne wasn't testing the free agent market his last few years, despite repeatedly signing one-year deals. Doan wasn't ever really interested in moving either, until the Coyotes told him they weren't going to re-up. It was the same situation with Modano's last couple seasons in Dallas. Most of those guys aren't looking to move if they don't have to.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697418 is a reply to message #697273 ]
Thu, 06 July 2017 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Hot rumour tonight that the Oilers are about to sign 'JJ' tomorrow. Some people think it might mean Jagr, but the name most people seem to think is Jussi Jokinen.

Jokinen certainly wouldn't make me rush out an buy a jersey the way Jagr or Iginla would, but it might be a good signing. He's a left shot, LW, and I think we ideally need a right shot / RW, but it the price is right, you could do much worse than Jokinen.

Guess we will see tomorrow

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697420 is a reply to message #697418 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 06 July 2017 23:26

Hot rumour tonight that the Oilers are about to sign 'JJ' tomorrow. Some people think it might mean Jagr, but the name most people seem to think is Jussi Jokinen.

Jokinen certainly wouldn't make me rush out an buy a jersey the way Jagr or Iginla would, but it might be a good signing. He's a left shot, LW, and I think we ideally need a right shot / RW, but it the price is right, you could do much worse than Jokinen.

Guess we will see tomorrow

Jokinen for reasonably cheap would be a good add. Don't give him term or lots of money, but he's only one season removed from 60 points. Jagr's been better lately, of course, but I imagine someone's going to give him a whole lot of money.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697427 is a reply to message #697420 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Would it be kind of cool to have Jagr as an Oiler? Sure, I guess. He's right handed, might be OK on the PP but the Oilers need more speed.
Would it be kind of cool for local boy Iginla to become an Oiler? Sure, I guess. He's right handed, might be OK on the PP but the Oilers need more speed.
Would it be cool to right a draft day wrong and bring in Doan? Sure, I guess. He's right handed, might be OK on the PP but the Oilers need more speed.

The problem with all 3 I listed is they are all old, slow, don't play center and you are kind of limited 5 on 5 as to how many mins they should play. So I don't know how good of a fit they are.

I could however see a good fit with Jokinen. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/jussi-jokinen/bio
If you read his bio. He has skill, doesn't make mistakes with the puck and is a good positional forward. He's a shootout whiz, he skates decently. He is listed as a left winger but can play both sides and can take faceoffs and is pretty decent at them. He's 34 so it's not like he's completely done like the Doan and Iginla are and maybe Jagr. His knock is he is "soft". Well the Oilers have more than enough jam in their line up now to make up for that.

So I would go after Jokinen on a cheap, short deal. He's a versatile forward that could do a lot of things.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697428 is a reply to message #697427 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I heard it is Jokinen coming in for 1 year at $1.75 million. Supposed to be announced today/tomorrow.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697430 is a reply to message #697428 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Travis Ewanyk's AHL deal wasn't experience and character enough?

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697437 is a reply to message #697428 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Jakey wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 08:59

I heard it is Jokinen coming in for 1 year at $1.75 million. Supposed to be announced today/tomorrow.

If that is what it is, I'd be OK with that. The guy can play 3 positions. Probably best suited for the 3rd line but has a 60 pts season not long ago so he could move up if needed.

I see the Oilers building like the Pens. 2 elite centers making big money, maybe you have 1 or 2 good wingers but the rest of your top 9 is then a bunch of decent but interchangeable players that can move up and down the lines.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697439 is a reply to message #697437 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 09:09

If that is what it is, I'd be OK with that. The guy can play 3 positions. Probably best suited for the 3rd line but has a 60 pts season not long ago so he could move up if needed.

I see the Oilers building like the Pens. 2 elite centers making big money, maybe you have 1 or 2 good wingers but the rest of your top 9 is then a bunch of decent but interchangeable players that can move up and down the lines.

He doubles as a good guy for Pulju to talk to in the room and to help him with the language barrier.

I like it. Would be nice to get Jagr too though :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697445 is a reply to message #697439 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 08:27

He doubles as a good guy for Pulju to talk to in the room and to help him with the language barrier.

Jussi it is on a one year deal, winner winner chicken dinner.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697494 is a reply to message #697445 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 09:37

I'd still like to see Chia find a D-man who could spell Sek while he's out with the injury....hopefully it will happen sometime before the end of the month...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697495 is a reply to message #697494 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 14:44

I'd still like to see Chia find a D-man who could spell Sek while he's out with the injury....hopefully it will happen sometime before the end of the month...

The more I think about this I'm starting to think Mark Fayne might be the "fill in" roster spot for Sekera. Think about it. Why buy out Pouliot and have him on the books for 4 years when they could have bought out Fayne over 2 years? Pouliot was at least still filling out an NHL sweater, while Fayne has been riding buses in the AHL for 2 years. The answer?

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Nurse - Gryba

Fayne as the extra

Then when Sek comes back and assuming everyone else is healthy, Fayne gets waived and back to the bus riding.

Seriously, am I wrong here? What's the other current depth option? Dillon Simpson?

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697496 is a reply to message #697494 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 15:44

nullterm wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 09:37

I imagine their challenge with finding another defenceman is that it basically makes the Gryba signing superfluous.

If they sign someone else, it's basically confining Gryba to a replacement role only until Christmas, and almost certainly ensuring he'll be in the minors after Sekera returns.

While I would be happy to see that, I think the Oilers see Gryba as the 7th guy, and so the plan will be to run with him in the lineup (and maybe Fayne as #7) until Sekera is back.

FWIW, I don't love the current plan, because Sekera has been the most productive Oilers blueliner over his two seasons here, and Gryba is lucky to get 5 points in 2017-18...but I think it really is the plan nonetheless.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697502 is a reply to message #697496 ]
Fri, 07 July 2017 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I will take anything at this point...Franson would not be my first choice but I'm sure you could get him on a cheap 1 year deal.

I think we are done though, I don't expect anything more than a Draisaitl signing.

It's very disappointing. This is probably our best chance at a cup with one more year of cheap McDavid. It's July 7 and we have not addressed the right wing, have not addressed the last hole on D, and will be taking a big risk giving Brossoit the back up job.

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697506 is a reply to message #697502 ]
Sat, 08 July 2017 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 07 July 2017 23:01

I will take anything at this point...Franson would not be my first choice but I'm sure you could get him on a cheap 1 year deal.

I think we are done though, I don't expect anything more than a Draisaitl signing.

It's very disappointing. This is probably our best chance at a cup with one more year of cheap McDavid. It's July 7 and we have not addressed the right wing, have not addressed the last hole on D, and will be taking a big risk giving Brossoit the back up job.

If you could flip huge for Barrie and sign pirri I think we are in a good spot. Needed face offs - jj, need shot from point - Barrie and need sniper hopefully strome or puljurvi(sp). Pipe dream but you never know.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697508 is a reply to message #697506 ]
Sat, 08 July 2017 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I think it was on the Gregor show yesterday he talked about tossing a one year deal at Markov. Maybe even overpay him a bit. It would be a great stop gap signing until Sekera gets healthy. Not much risk.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697510 is a reply to message #697508 ]
Sat, 08 July 2017 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 08 July 2017 11:18

I think it was on the Gregor show yesterday he talked about tossing a one year deal at Markov. Maybe even overpay him a bit. It would be a great stop gap signing until Sekera gets healthy. Not much risk.

Markov or Campbell would be great stopgaps. Wonder what Markov is thinking after watching Montreal dump their entire D future in just a years time that he's been mentoring..

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697511 is a reply to message #697510 ]
Sat, 08 July 2017 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Markov wants a 2 year deal at $6m per according to the Habs guy on 1260 the other day. Habs only willing to offer 1 year.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697512 is a reply to message #697511 ]
Sat, 08 July 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sat, 08 July 2017 13:24

Markov wants a 2 year deal at $6m per according to the Habs guy on 1260 the other day. Habs only willing to offer 1 year.

Markov is still playing at a very high level, so I think he ask is pretty reasonable and he could get pretty close to it from a desperate team.

Campbell is likey a way cheaper option although his game has fallen off more than Markov's.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Hurricanes "Close to" being sold for $500 million
Next Topic:Kovalchuk to stay in KHL for one more year
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca