Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Justin Williams
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Justin Williams [message #697014]
Fri, 30 June 2017 01:32 Go to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

Mike Commodore‏Verified account @commie22 7h7 hours ago

The Justin Williams sweepstakes is down to 3 teams...The Calgary Flames. The Edmonton Oilers. The Nashville Predators. #Insiderr

I haven’t been following Williams’ career recently, but it seems a lot of people are still high on him. At this point I don’t know whether I’d prefer seeing him sign with the Oilers, or simply not to sign with Calgary….

Anyway, I’ve found Mike Commodore very hit and miss in the past, so take it with a grain of salt.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Justin Williams [message #697016 is a reply to message #697014 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

He's a good player but at 35 I don't give him anything more than 1 year. Who knows when the wheels will fall off.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697018 is a reply to message #697014 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Is Mike Commodore actually breaking deals? It almost seems like he is creating a parody, a mockery of the "insiders". I think he might just be playing around.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697019 is a reply to message #697018 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

He might very well be. IIRC, last year around the trade deadline he actually called one or two deals correctly. But he missed far more than he got right.

Take it for what it's worth.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697020 is a reply to message #697014 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

I like how Williams plays. Smart player. I think he would be good for our young wingers and he still has some game left. 1 or 2 years at like 3M would be ideal. I think he plays a cerebral enough game that he's not going to decline that much in 1-2 years. Don't need to be as fast when you always know where you need to go or should be.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2017 08:22]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Justin Williams [message #697021 is a reply to message #697020 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 10:19

I like how Williams plays. Smart player. I think he would be good for our young wingers and he still has some game left. 1 or 2 years at like 3M would be ideal. I think he plays a cerebral enough game that he's not going to decline that much in 1-2 years. Don't need to be as fast when you always know where you need to go or should be.

Problem is that someone will give him more term or more money or both. That would be a great deal for Williams, but his track record will make someone pay unless he really want s to play there.

He will probably sign with Calgary because I hope the Oilers get him.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697023 is a reply to message #697021 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 08:40

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 10:19

Problem is that someone will give him more term or more money or both. That would be a great deal for Williams, but his track record will make someone pay unless he really want s to play there.

He will probably sign with Calgary because I hope the Oilers get him.

You're in luck. Calgary re-signed Versteeg, so they're running out of right wing roster spots.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Justin Williams [message #697022 is a reply to message #697020 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 08:19

Last three years, 41 points, 52 points, 48 points. I like the odds of him scoring in the high 40s better than Strome (although I do expect Strome to get a big push...the Oilers will want to try to make Chiarelli look good in that deal). He'd be a decent fit at that position, although he's at an age where he's eventually going to start to decline. Last two seasons were at $3.25MM per. I'd imagine he'd be looking for similar money if it was a one year deal.

Of course, I don't take Commodore seriously. He is parodying TSN & Sporsnet. I don't think he spends any time working the phones.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697071 is a reply to message #697022 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Please don't persecute me for saying this, but I think I'd like to see a three year heavy bonus laden contract for Williams. That should be the new normal for +35 NHL stars.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697085 is a reply to message #697071 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

If we're going for a crusty old vet, why not take a run at Jagr? Imagine him with McDavid on the PP? Sign me up. 1Yr, 3M, full of performance/games played type bonuses.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697106 is a reply to message #697085 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 18:31

If we're going for a crusty old vet, why not take a run at Jagr? Imagine him with McDavid on the PP? Sign me up. 1Yr, 3M, full of performance/games played type bonuses.

I would love to see Jagr on the Oilers, but Chiarelli squires him once in Boston, and Jagr went the enter playoffs to the final without a goal. He might not have as much confidence in him, especially 5 seasons later.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697108 is a reply to message #697085 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiler8  is currently offline oiler8

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 16:31

To be honest- I would love to see that. 1 year deal (MAYBE 2) at 3-3.5 per. I'd have no problem with that.

Realistically- probably won't happen, but I'd be fine with it. His work ethic and training would be a great example.

oiler8

"A Calgary Flames fan is like a Slinky. It isn't much good for anything, but it does bring a smile to your face when you push it down a set of stairs."

Re: Justin Williams [message #697110 is a reply to message #697108 ]
Fri, 30 June 2017 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiler8 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 22:15

jds308 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2017 16:31

To be honest- I would love to see that. 1 year deal (MAYBE 2) at 3-3.5 per. I'd have no problem with that.

Realistically- probably won't happen, but I'd be fine with it. His work ethic and training would be a great example.

I'm against any signings that are probably more about nostalgia than about the player's current performance. So I'd prefer we not sign Jagr, Iginla or Doan. I just don't believe we'd be likely to be doing it for the right reasons, and those guys become stories if their performance does slip and you have to healthy scratch them. It can quickly become a sideshow.

It was a ridiculously big story when Ryan Smyth sat...it would be as big or worse if the team benched Jagr or Iginla.

I also think Jagr is likely to be overpaid for what he now brings, just based on his name. In Florida, that's one thing. He's selling a lot of jerseys down there, so maybe it justifies his $4MM salary last year. In Edmonton? We might see a bunch of #68s, but most people just went and put #97 on their jersey. I don't think we need Jagr for marketing.

Interestingly, Jagr's made $128,800,000+ in the NHL. That doesn't include his four KHL seasons (including the lockout year) and a couple more stints in the Czech league. That's a pretty impressive haul for playing hockey. He has to be close to the highest paid player in aggregate of all-time.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697117 is a reply to message #697110 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

I'm against any signings that are probably more about nostalgia than about the player's current performance. So I'd prefer we not sign Jagr, Iginla or Doan. I just don't believe we'd be likely to be doing it for the right reasons, and those guys become stories if their performance does slip and you have to healthy scratch them. It can quickly become a sideshow.

I would definitely pass on Doan and Iginla. Doan is pretty much done as a player and Iginla isn't far behind. But Jagr had 46 points last year, two less than Williams. Jagr has also said that no one has contacted him, so you think he'd be happy with a one-year deal which would suit the Oilers perfectly.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697118 is a reply to message #697014 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Until they fix their right side depth with a longer, cheap, better solution, I'm open to any of Williams, Jagr, Hemsky, Iginla.

Right now the only lock for 30 points on that side is Ryan Strome.

Puljujarvi should likely start in the AHL, and his sample size last year suggests he'd need a huge jump to achieve that benchmark. He's not a sure bet.

Kassian, Slepyshev, Caggiula... all useful pieces, all guys to use in your bottom-six, all unlikely to hit 30 points. (I actually have Slepyshev and Caggiula penciled in as the 3LW and 4LW anyways).

The other names I've heard floated around today were Landon Ferraro and Ty Rattie, who are 26 and 24 respectively. They have career high point totals of 10 points and 6 points. Expecting a breakout season at that age and that point total isn't a great bet (though I'm fine if they are filling the Taylor Beck / Anton Lander role).

It would be great to find someone young, cheap, on the verge of breaking out that nobody else has seen there potential and the Oilers strike lightning. I don't think that is likely though.

When I look at what is a great fit, it is someone who isn't tying up cap long term, can move up or down the lineup, and who at least has a chance and is a reasonable bet of hitting the 30 point plateau. Someone like Drew Stafford might fit the bill, but my guess is he will come in at a longer term and possibly cap, and I'm not even sure if he is a better bet for point totals. The Jagrs, Hemskys, Vrbatas, Williams, Iginlas... their best days are behind them, they have some nostalgic value for sure. But I also think they are available, cheap, and fit in well... and while there are red flags around each one, I would think hitting the 30 point plateau is a more likely bet than them not hitting it.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 July 2017 01:36]

Re: Justin Williams [message #697124 is a reply to message #697118 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Signed back in Carolina. Don't recall theem being on Commodore's list.

Re: Justin Williams [message #697123 is a reply to message #697014 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Looks like he signed with the Canes...

...why Justin? Why?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Justin Williams [message #697125 is a reply to message #697123 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 01 July 2017 10:22

...why Justin? Why?

Oh...4.5M AAV for 2 years. Makes sense now :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Justin Williams [message #697145 is a reply to message #697125 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 12:51 Go to previous message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 01 July 2017 10:29

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 01 July 2017 10:22

...why Justin? Why?

Oh...4.5M AAV for 2 years. Makes sense now :)

Seriously, it looks like he's just concerned with life after hockey at this point.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Previous Topic:Kovalchuk to stay in KHL for one more year
Next Topic:Yakupov a Canuck?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca