This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Yakupov a Canuck?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696727]
Tue, 27 June 2017 20:29 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Yakupov is being released by St Louis making him a UFA.

Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports
Larionov : : "Nail would love to play for Vancouver." #Canucks

While I want to Yak to find his game in the NHL, this is a lose-lose to me. icon_dead Either he finds success which benefits the Canucks. Or he's the Canuck's media/fanbase new whipping boy.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696728 is a reply to message #696727 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 20:29

While I want to Yak to find his game in the NHL, this is a lose-lose to me. icon_dead Either he finds success which benefits the Canucks. Or he's the Canuck's media/fanbase new whipping boy.

Seems like a good fit for Montreal. Sign him cheap and reunite him with his old buddy Galchenyuk.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696731 is a reply to message #696728 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 20:32

nullterm wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 20:29

Seems like a good fit for Montreal. Sign him cheap and reunite him with his old buddy Galchenyuk.

That's assuming they don't trade Galchenyuk real quick.

It's good that Yak said he'd like to play for a specific team but it would probably be better just to say he wants to play for all NHL teams just to get a contract. He's a borderline NHLer.

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696863 is a reply to message #696731 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Technically, it looks like Larionov put that out there (which was a bad move on Igor's part).

Either they're desperate, or Larionov is a bad agent.

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696868 is a reply to message #696863 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 16:34

Technically, it looks like Larionov put that out there (which was a bad move on Igor's part).

Based on experience with the Oilers, my vote is Larionov is a bad agent. His time here was a soap opera.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696869 is a reply to message #696868 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 20:03

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 16:34

Based on experience with the Oilers, my vote is Larionov is a bad agent. His time here was a soap opera.

He seems like an overbearing pain in the butt, unless you like someone in your ear telling you what's what (from Larionov's all knowing point of view) all the time. Yak might actually like that. Galchenyuk fired him. I doubt coaches/GMs are big fans.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696883 is a reply to message #696869 ]
Thu, 29 June 2017 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Impossible to say but perhaps Yak would still be an Oiler with a different agent. The supposed problems with Yak is he is difficult to play with in that he does his own thing, is selfish and doesn't go to the right spots and he's hard to coach. He has a hockey legend as an agent who couldn't give Yak advice on how to play? Instead he is mouthing off to the media and the team about playing time. Dallas Eakins was an idiot but when Larionov came over in Yak's technically second year to mouth off to the Oilers about Yak's playing time, that was the starting of the end with me. Yak played 48 games in the lock out year and MAYBE 10-12 games in the following year and you complain about ice time. Do the math, 48 + maybe 12 is 60 games. That means he should have still been in his rookie season games wise. Bad, bad agent.

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696892 is a reply to message #696883 ]
Thu, 29 June 2017 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 June 2017 08:14

Impossible to say but perhaps Yak would still be an Oiler with a different agent. The supposed problems with Yak is he is difficult to play with in that he does his own thing, is selfish and doesn't go to the right spots and he's hard to coach. He has a hockey legend as an agent who couldn't give Yak advice on how to play? Instead he is mouthing off to the media and the team about playing time. Dallas Eakins was an idiot but when Larionov came over in Yak's technically second year to mouth off to the Oilers about Yak's playing time, that was the starting of the end with me. Yak played 48 games in the lock out year and MAYBE 10-12 games in the following year and you complain about ice time. Do the math, 48 + maybe 12 is 60 games. That means he should have still been in his rookie season games wise. Bad, bad agent.

Hard to say really. It's pretty easy to cast agents in the role of villains. One of their jobs is to wear the black hat for their clients sometimes.

I don't know how involved most agents are. I imagine you wouldn't want them to be overly involved, but if Bobby Orr is calling you about Taylor Hall's playing time, I'm guessing you're taking that phone call.

And Larionov was always really cerebral. Maybe he saw early that Eakins didn't know what he was doing and was trying to help Yakupov and the Oilers by exposing that? I don't know that he went about it the right way, but he would know a thing or two about crazy bad coaches.

It's definitely plausible that Larionov has no idea what he's doing as a player agent, and tilts at every windmill. I just don't know if you can say with certainty that's what's going on, especially given that there were a lot of things happening that weren't good at the time.

With this Vancouver news, I don't know what the context was. Who was he talking to? What was the discussion leading up to that? Was he asked about Vancouver, or did he offer that up? The guy he was talking to is from Vancouver sports media, so was it simply a question of would he consider Vancouver? Sure sounds like it from this article:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-nail-yakup ov-interested-in-signing-with-the-canucks-1.20777121

If it was Larionov signalling to the world that there's only one team that Yakupov is interested in joining and that's the Vancouver Canucks (where Larionov has some ties), then maybe that's an issue, but if he was just asked if he'd consider playing in BC? I see no issue there.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Yakupov a Canuck? [message #696896 is a reply to message #696892 ]
Thu, 29 June 2017 09:17 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 29 June 2017 08:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 June 2017 08:14

Hard to say really. It's pretty easy to cast agents in the role of villains. One of their jobs is to wear the black hat for their clients sometimes.

I don't know how involved most agents are. I imagine you wouldn't want them to be overly involved, but if Bobby Orr is calling you about Taylor Hall's playing time, I'm guessing you're taking that phone call.

And Larionov was always really cerebral. Maybe he saw early that Eakins didn't know what he was doing and was trying to help Yakupov and the Oilers by exposing that? I don't know that he went about it the right way, but he would know a thing or two about crazy bad coaches.

It's definitely plausible that Larionov has no idea what he's doing as a player agent, and tilts at every windmill. I just don't know if you can say with certainty that's what's going on, especially given that there were a lot of things happening that weren't good at the time.

With this Vancouver news, I don't know what the context was. Who was he talking to? What was the discussion leading up to that? Was he asked about Vancouver, or did he offer that up? The guy he was talking to is from Vancouver sports media, so was it simply a question of would he consider Vancouver? Sure sounds like it from this article:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-nail-yakup ov-interested-in-signing-with-the-canucks-1.20777121

If it was Larionov signalling to the world that there's only one team that Yakupov is interested in joining and that's the Vancouver Canucks (where Larionov has some ties), then maybe that's an issue, but if he was just asked if he'd consider playing in BC? I see no issue there.

I think we can at least agree that Larionov coming over when Yak was maybe 60 games into his NHL career and public ripping the team about Yak's ice and role was about as stupid as you can get. He didn't even have a full NHL season under his belt, he was a rookie basically out of junior. The jump between junior and the NHL is MASSIVE. It's not like he was getting 5 mins a night on the 4th lineand being asked to fight. He was getting 2nd/3rd line mins, PP time. Pretty much right where he should be. Maybe you hate the coach but you don't mouth off like that a month in. That had to have put a MASSIVE sour taste in the Oilers mouth. The agents job is to look out for the player but unless Yak lets Larionov go rouge, that's coming from Yak. So for a legend like Larionov, who put in the time like he did, to be OK with mouthing off like that, is bad. He needed to pull Yak aside and tell him "you are 60 games in kid, now is not the time. Shut you nouth, work hard, do what they say. In a year from now when you at least have SOME games under your belt if things haven't change, then we go talk to them."

Previous Topic:Justin Williams
Next Topic:How to get a RHD?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca