This day on August 21
Acquired: Don Jackson (1981) Pat Falloon (1998) Dan Smith (2003)
Departed: Don Murdoch (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Entwhistle, ameeratif, Rosco11, etnies.80

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Expansion Draft List
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695694]
Sun, 18 June 2017 08:44 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-reveals-protection-lists-ahead-of-expa nsion-draft-1.782246

EDMONTON OILERS

Available
David Desharnais (F)
Justin Fontaine (F)
Matt Hendricks (F)
Roman Horak (F)
Jujhar Khaira (F)
Anton Lander (F)
Iiro Pakarinen (F)
Tyler Pitlick (F)
Zach Pochiro (F)
Benoit Pouliot (F)
Henrik Samuelsson (F)
Bogdan Yakimov (F)
Mark Fayne (D)
Andrew Ference (D)
Mark Fraser (D)
Eric Gryba (D)
David Musil (D)
Jordan Oesterle (D)
Griffin Reinhart (D)
Kris Russell (D)
Dillon Simpson (D)
Laurent Brossoit (G)
Jonas Gustavsson (G)

Protected
Leon Draisaitl (F)
Jordan Eberle (F)
Zack Kassian (F)
Mark Letestu (F)
Milan Lucic (F)
Patrick Maroon (F)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (F)
Oscar Klefbom (D)
Adam Larsson (D)
Andrej Sekera (D)
Cam Talbot (G)

No surprises really. hopefully Vegas likes Poo.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695696 is a reply to message #695694 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Zack Kassian on the Oilers protected short list. Imagine that two years ago as he had his car wreck with Montreal or his years being a huge pain in our butt with the Canucks. He's come far.

No surprises.

Compare that to the fact Vatanen and James Neal are exposed.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 June 2017 09:55]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695697 is a reply to message #695696 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 09:53

Zack Kassian on the Oilers protected short list. Imagine that two years ago as he had his car wreck with Montreal or his years being a huge pain in our butt with the Canucks. He's come far.

No surprises.

Sucks we don't find out about the backroom deals vegas has with teams until later. If they actually pull it off, what could the Ducks have possibly offered to protect all of Rakell, Silfverberg, Manson and Vatanen? They had to lose at least one of them, and expose 2 if Beiska wouldn't waive his NMC.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695699 is a reply to message #695697 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 09:06

nullterm wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 09:53

No surprises.

Sucks we don't find out about the backroom deals vegas has with teams until later. If they actually pull it off, what could the Ducks have possibly offered to protect all of Rakell, Silfverberg, Manson and Vatanen? They had to lose at least one of them, and expose 2 if Beiska wouldn't waive his NMC.

Both Vatanen and Manson are exposed. I expect Ducks have a deal with Vegas to NOT take Manson.

Neal would be a good compliment for the Oil, true sniper. I expect Vegas takes and keeps him.

Pretty wild that NYI protects 5 D, and still expose deHaan.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695705 is a reply to message #695699 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 12:01

Dollars to donuts there's a deal for DeHaan.

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695706 is a reply to message #695705 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 12:06

Also says Snow doesn't think much of his forwards.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695715 is a reply to message #695706 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 14:20

DUFFMAN wrote on Sun, 18 June 2017 12:06

Also says Snow doesn't think much of his forwards.

I agree there's a deal for de Haan. Also, could be motivation tactic for Pelech, shows faith in him to protect him, deal for de Haan or not. Also possibly a nice kick in the pants for Strome and Bailey to shape up.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695704 is a reply to message #695694 ]
Sun, 18 June 2017 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Well, Roman Horak, it was nice knowing you. Enjoy Nevada.

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695733 is a reply to message #695694 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

I've been seeing speculation online that the Oilers should have protected Khaira over Letestu but I don't see any way that Vegas would have interest in Letestu. He's basically an expensive 4th line center that was able to have a bit of success scoring on a PP with McDavid & Draisaitl (something I would not bet on him repeating with Bobby Ryan and Eric Staal if I were Vegas). He's also a UFA in a year.

I think if the Oilers had left Letestu exposed, it basically forces VGK to take Broissoit or Reinhart (and likely Reinhart). Leaving Khaira exposed may mean that Reinhart remains an Oiler, and this is probably the best case scenario for the Oilers, especially given Sekera's injury and the lack of depth at the bottom of the defence depth chart. I think it's probably easier to find a 4th line forward than it is to find a bottom pairing defenceman.

Of course the actual best case for the Oilers is if the VGK were to take Pouliot or sign Russell, but I think the likelihood of either of those scenarios is pretty low.

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695738 is a reply to message #695733 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 10:25

I've been seeing speculation online that the Oilers should have protected Khaira over Letestu but I don't see any way that Vegas would have interest in Letestu. He's basically an expensive 4th line center that was able to have a bit of success scoring on a PP with McDavid & Draisaitl (something I would not bet on him repeating with Bobby Ryan and Eric Staal if I were Vegas). He's also a UFA in a year.

I think if the Oilers had left Letestu exposed, it basically forces VGK to take Broissoit or Reinhart (and likely Reinhart). Leaving Khaira exposed may mean that Reinhart remains an Oiler, and this is probably the best case scenario for the Oilers, especially given Sekera's injury and the lack of depth at the bottom of the defence depth chart. I think it's probably easier to find a 4th line forward than it is to find a bottom pairing defenceman.

Of course the actual best case for the Oilers is if the VGK were to take Pouliot or sign Russell, but I think the likelihood of either of those scenarios is pretty low.

If you are the Oilers and you are going into win now mode. How do you not protect your vet but still has game left, 4th line center who is currently your only right handed center, the only guy who wins over 50% on faceoffs, plays on the PP, kills penalties, is signed to a good contract given all that he does and is coming off a 16 goal, 35 pt season, with another 5 goals 11 pts in the playoffs. Plus he's a UFA. They'd be crazy not to protect him and Vegas would scoop him up in a heartbeat.

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695739 is a reply to message #695738 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 10:43

If you are the Oilers and you are going into win now mode. How do you not protect your vet but still has game left, 4th line center who is currently your only right handed center, the only guy who wins over 50% on faceoffs, plays on the PP, kills penalties, is signed to a good contract given all that he does and is coming off a 16 goal, 35 pt season, with another 5 goals 11 pts in the playoffs. Plus he's a UFA. They'd be crazy not to protect him and Vegas would scoop him up in a heartbeat.

I agree that he has value for the Oilers. He worked on the PP with McDavid/Drai and I've said before that the ability to score goals is a valuable one. I have little faith that he could repeat that performance on the VGK powerplay given that he hasn't done it anywhere else. He is expensive for a 4th line 5x5 player ($1.8M for a 4th line center is not a good contract - he only had three 5x5 goals), and a UFA to be, so I don't think he has near the value to Vegas that he has to the Oilers.

Vegas is definitely not (or at least they shouldn't be), in win now mode.

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695749 is a reply to message #695733 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Khaira's NHL stats to date are 25 GP, 1-2-3, 15 PIM, -1, 24 SOG.

No one should lose any sleep over losing Khaira. He's a big body that can skate, which is nice, but he's shown very little hands. 4% shooting percentage so far, and I don't think that's just bad luck.

At the AHL level, he's played 131 games and recorded 22-35-57 points. That isn't great AHL production. Anton Lander had 55 points in 42 AHL games this year. It indicates that Khaira isn't likely to ever be much of an impact NHL player. The most you can reasonably hope for is that he becomes a 10-15 point/season player in the NHL. That isn't an important piece, and it's one that can be easily duplicated.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Oilers Expansion Draft List [message #695750 is a reply to message #695749 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 17:31 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 17:17

Khaira's NHL stats to date are 25 GP, 1-2-3, 15 PIM, -1, 24 SOG.

No one should lose any sleep over losing Khaira. He's a big body that can skate, which is nice, but he's shown very little hands. 4% shooting percentage so far, and I don't think that's just bad luck.

At the AHL level, he's played 131 games and recorded 22-35-57 points. That isn't great AHL production. Anton Lander had 55 points in 42 AHL games this year. It indicates that Khaira isn't likely to ever be much of an impact NHL player. The most you can reasonably hope for is that he becomes a 10-15 point/season player in the NHL. That isn't an important piece, and it's one that can be easily duplicated.

What are you talkin about? Jujhar Hockey is one of a kind. You got a magic Jujhar tree in your back yard or something?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension
Next Topic:Joey Moss
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca