This day on August 21
Acquired: Don Jackson (1981) Pat Falloon (1998) Dan Smith (2003)
Departed: Don Murdoch (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Entwhistle, ameeratif, Rosco11, etnies.80

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695648]
Fri, 16 June 2017 12:35 Go to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/875775309148151808

Elliotte Friedman‏ @FriedgeHNIC 25 minutes ago

Jujhar Khaira gets a two-year extension in EDM at $675K

[Updated on: Fri, 16 June 2017 12:37]

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695652 is a reply to message #695648 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Trying to make him look more attractive to Vegas? So they don't take Reinhart?

It must have something to do with their expansion draft strategy. Otherwise, the timing doesn't make sense. Chia said himself Connor and Leon extensions would get done first.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695663 is a reply to message #695652 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 15:13

Trying to make him look more attractive to Vegas? So they don't take Reinhart?

It must have something to do with their expansion draft strategy. Otherwise, the timing doesn't make sense. Chia said himself Connor and Leon extensions would get done first.

Just a RFA signing. It doesn't really impact Vegas much - they could have taken him and signed him to something similar.

We see with this one, Chiarelli again utilizing the same strategy on low-end talent that he did last year. It's a significant paycut at the NHL level for Khaira - going from an actual NHL salary last year of $832,500 down to an average of $675,000 over the next couple of years. He gets a one-way deal out of it, so it's good for Khaira, who's been up and down.

He's waiver eligible anyhow now I believe, and a big body who skates well, so if we demote him, there's a good chance we're not paying that salary anyhow, and it's below the limit to count against the cap if in the minors.

Personally, I don't put a lot of value on this player. He doesn't seem to have any hands. Gritty and he hits, but he's shown no touch at all around the net. I think he tops out as a 10-point a year fourth liner, so ideally he's a 13th or 14th forward on a good team. That's a very replaceable piece.

But there's still some value and the team drafted and developed him, so it's worth re-upping. If we were to lose him to Vegas though (or on waivers in October)? I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695653 is a reply to message #695648 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 12:35

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/875775309148151808

Elliotte Friedman‏ @FriedgeHNIC 25 minutes ago

Jujhar Khaira gets a two-year extension in EDM at $675K

Not too shabby. I really hope he doesn't get claimed. Definitely could be a solid 4th liner for us.

Come on Vegas, you know you want the $4M Poo. We need Mugatu to wrap him in tin foil and put some fish hooks on him.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 June 2017 15:24]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695656 is a reply to message #695648 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Good deal. I wonder if you sign so it's more attractive to trade as part of a bigger deal.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695657 is a reply to message #695656 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I think Pistol Pete thinks this may help Vegas in their selection. Vegas needs 20 real actual players under contract with dollars attached for the 2017/18 season. If they need to get to that # because they have too many expansion picks of RFA's/UFA's than they may take him over a guy like Reinhardt.
This is a smart move by Chiarelli IMO. It may not help, but it may be enough to sway which way they go.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695658 is a reply to message #695657 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

If the most we lose is Reinhart then I'll call that a win. And I like the kid. But he's notorious from his WHL days to be a slow developer. I have hope he'll turn into something but no guarantees at all with Griffin.

Nice to see JJ extended, I like what I've seen and hope he keeps developing.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695659 is a reply to message #695658 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 19:17

If the most we lose is Reinhart then I'll call that a win. And I like the kid. But he's notorious from his WHL days to be a slow developer. I have hope he'll turn into something but no guarantees at all with Griffin.

Nice to see JJ extended, I like what I've seen and hope he keeps developing.

I actually am not much of a Reinhart fan... I don't begrudge him, but I also don't think he's much of a prospect. I doubt he'll ever be a Top-4 defenseman. He MAY be a third pairing defenseman eventually, but even that's not a guarantee.

To be honest, if I had to choose who to move forward with between Jordan Oesterle and Griffin Reinhart, I'm choosing Oesterle (I think the Oilers value Reinhart more, but that may be on acquisition cost more than merit).

In any case, for people to be upset about the prospect of losing him... I don't know. We always knew we were going to lose someone; first the fear was Davidson, now it's Khaira or Reinhart. If those are the guys you're losing in an expansion draft, you make out pretty good, in my opinion.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695727 is a reply to message #695659 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

I don't mind the signing at all. A big body, physical, can skate. got some toughness. Plays center or wing. I could see him being able to kill penalties. The offense is up in the air but he's a perfect bottom 6 guy. If he is an Oiler after the expansion draft, I see him as an ideal Hendricks replacement.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695729 is a reply to message #695727 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 08:43

I don't mind the signing at all. A big body, physical, can skate. got some toughness. Plays center or wing. I could see him being able to kill penalties. The offense is up in the air but he's a perfect bottom 6 guy. If he is an Oiler after the expansion draft, I see him as an ideal Hendricks replacement.

I agree. These type of versatile low cost players are what will be needed over the next decade to be perennial contender.
Kaira isnt an amazing player but at that cap hit and as you mention he can play center or wing, it means he can fill in gaps because of injury when he isnt in his suited role in the bottom 6.
Going forward as the extensions get signed for Drai, McD, Nurse, Benning, JP, etc the Oilers can extend the time frame for salary dump trades by having guys like this contribute.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695735 is a reply to message #695729 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 08:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 08:43

I agree. These type of versatile low cost players are what will be needed over the next decade to be perennial contender.
Kaira isnt an amazing player but at that cap hit and as you mention he can play center or wing, it means he can fill in gaps because of injury when he isnt in his suited role in the bottom 6.
Going forward as the extensions get signed for Drai, McD, Nurse, Benning, JP, etc the Oilers can extend the time frame for salary dump trades by having guys like this contribute.

I look at Khaira as a player who could play on a lot of teams bottom 6, probably mostly on the 4th line, maybe spot in on the 3rd line from time to time and doing a decent job. The best part is he is signed to a 4th liners contract. So if he gets scratched from time to time, big deal.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695744 is a reply to message #695648 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

With news that Vegas is talking to Russell, it seems probable that they don't have much interest in either Khaira or Reinhart. Can't say that I blame them. I don't think Russell will bite though. I would guess he wants to hit UFA on July 1.

Part of me wonders if the Oil have offered a low round draft pick for Vegas to take Khaira over Reinhart.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695746 is a reply to message #695744 ]
Mon, 19 June 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The one thing I think Vegas will not have a problem with is getting bottom 6 guys. Khaira is a young, borderline NHLer who is a bottom 6 guy. His high end would be a 3rd liner and I think that is a stretch given I don't know if he has enough offense to be a 3rd liner. So do they really need another one? In Reinhart, he looks like he is rounding into a 3rd pairing dman. But again, picking bottom pairing dmen will probably be easy for Vegas and you can probably get more for sure bets than Reinhart. Where as Russell, while not spectacular you know you will be getting a for sure #4/5 NHL dman who will give you OK mins, will play has butt off and be a good guy in the room. So there is some value to that. Given they won't be a good team for several years, they are going to need some guys who can eat up some minutes.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695753 is a reply to message #695746 ]
Tue, 20 June 2017 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Both JJ and Reinhart are on one ways. If they get claimed but then are waived at some point do we get first claim. I seem to remember if a player gets claimed from you and then gets waived you can get them back not sure if expansion draft works like that. Anyone know?

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Jujhar Khaira signed to a 2 yr extension [message #695776 is a reply to message #695744 ]
Tue, 20 June 2017 15:52 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Mon, 19 June 2017 13:50

With news that Vegas is talking to Russell, it seems probable that they don't have much interest in either Khaira or Reinhart. Can't say that I blame them. I don't think Russell will bite though. I would guess he wants to hit UFA on July 1.

Part of me wonders if the Oil have offered a low round draft pick for Vegas to take Khaira over Reinhart.

Can we crowd-source a Russell to Vegas deal?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Previous Topic:Wichita Thunder
Next Topic:Oilers Expansion Draft List
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca