This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695405]
Mon, 12 June 2017 12:52 Go to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

Well isn't this something that 3 or 4 years ago we thought we would never see.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/complete-stanley-cup-odds -2017-18-season-released/

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695406 is a reply to message #695405 ]
Mon, 12 June 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Poor Mr. Hall looking at the same odds he has his whole NHL career, so far.

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695407 is a reply to message #695405 ]
Mon, 12 June 2017 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

It is nice to be able to have expectations of our team that aren't lower than Triassic-era fossils. This offseason is going to be a very interesting one, I think.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695408 is a reply to message #695405 ]
Mon, 12 June 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

All I can say is:

http://i.imgur.com/C36vg.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695414 is a reply to message #695408 ]
Mon, 12 June 2017 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

I think the odds are very much in favor of a 2018 Stanley Cup. It has happened every year for the last hundred or so. I'd say barring apocalyptic astroid strike or global flood there should be no worry.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695430 is a reply to message #695414 ]
Mon, 12 June 2017 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 12 June 2017 16:04

I think the odds are very much in favor of a 2018 Stanley Cup. It has happened every year for the last hundred or so. I'd say barring apocalyptic astroid strike or global flood there should be no worry.

I wouldn't say every year...

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696421 is a reply to message #695430 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....so despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the recent trades, expansion draft, player signings, and so-called poor salary cap management, it looks like the Oilers remain in strong favour to take the Western Conference berth in the 2018 Stanley Cup around betting sites around the world....

https://www.oddschecker.com/ice-hockey/nhl/stanley-cup/winne r

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696422 is a reply to message #696421 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 14:08

....so despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the recent trades, expansion draft, player signings, and so-called poor salary cap management, it looks like the Oilers remain in strong favour to take the Western Conference berth in the 2018 Stanley Cup around betting sites around the world....

I think that people are starting to conflate expectations of the Oilers with actual accomplishments.

Again though, nice to see, but it means nothing really. This team hasn't won anything of note yet. They are raising no banners this fall (unless someone else plays a handful of shows in a row at Rogers Place). They've received no team hardware.

The team has a long road back to where they were. They've only gotten worse so far this summer. They lost 21 points in the Eberle trade, and there is no replacement yet for Sekera, who was the second most productive defenceman on the team while acting as the mitigating factor against the tire fire that was Kris Russell. The depth behind the first 5 defencemen is non-existent, even more so since Oesterle and Gryba are UFAs and Reinhart is a Golden Knight. Fayne is persona non-grata with the team, so who is going to play nightly until Christmas is still very much up in the air. Ziyat Piagin maybe? Dillon Simpson?

Hopefully there's more roster improvement to come this summer, because right now the lineup looks thin on right wing, thin on left wing and thin on defence. And goaltending is a major issue if Talbot is unable to play 70+ games again.

I really hope that Chiarelli's busy this summer and doesn't feel like this roster is close. And I hope that for once the Oilers brass will set a lofty goal for the team to strive for this year. The oddsmakers are, so management better be ready to follow suit.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696424 is a reply to message #696422 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 15:56

I think that people are starting to conflate expectations of the Oilers with actual accomplishments.

Again though, nice to see, but it means nothing really. This team hasn't won anything of note yet. They are raising no banners this fall (unless someone else plays a handful of shows in a row at Rogers Place). They've received no team hardware.

The team has a long road back to where they were. They've only gotten worse so far this summer. They lost 21 points in the Eberle trade, and there is no replacement yet for Sekera, who was the second most productive defenceman on the team while acting as the mitigating factor against the tire fire that was Kris Russell. The depth behind the first 5 defencemen is non-existent, even more so since Oesterle and Gryba are UFAs and Reinhart is a Golden Knight. Fayne is persona non-grata with the team, so who is going to play nightly until Christmas is still very much up in the air. Ziyat Piagin maybe? Dillon Simpson?

Hopefully there's more roster improvement to come this summer, because right now the lineup looks thin on right wing, thin on left wing and thin on defence. And goaltending is a major issue if Talbot is unable to play 70+ games again.

I really hope that Chiarelli's busy this summer and doesn't feel like this roster is close. And I hope that for once the Oilers brass will set a lofty goal for the team to strive for this year. The oddsmakers are, so management better be ready to follow suit.

I'm going to say it right now. I don't think we make playoffs. This team is a house built on sand. If Talbot can't compete for a vezina again. We're screwed.

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696425 is a reply to message #696424 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 19:23

I'm going to say it right now. I don't think we make playoffs. This team is a house built on sand. If Talbot can't compete for a vezina again. We're screwed.

Bold prediction. I think they make it because Vegas and Vancouver are awful and the Kings are in a full swan dive. But I'm very concerned they aren't who we're being told they are.

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696445 is a reply to message #696425 ]
Mon, 26 June 2017 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 19:29

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 19:23

Bold prediction. I think they make it because Vegas and Vancouver are awful and the Kings are in a full swan dive. But I'm very concerned they aren't who we're being told they are.

I agree with this. If McDavid and Talbot can stay healthy, we're likely to make the playoffs, because I don't think there's 8 teams better than us, and in our division specifically, it's hard to imagine any of Arizona, Las Vegas or Los Angeles (now in the hands of former players with little management training or experience) finishing ahead of us.

Playoffs shouldn't be an issue (again, with health as the caveat), but is this team ready to beat Anaheim or Chicago or Nashville? I don't see it getting any better yet. Hopefully there's an ace up Chiarelli's sleeve this summer, and he's not just in a hurry to get the roster done and get up to the cabin...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696572 is a reply to message #696445 ]
Mon, 26 June 2017 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Chicago, Minnesota, St Louis, Anaheim and Nashville are better then us. San Jose is on the down trend but still Dangerous. Winnepeg, Calgary, and Dallas should compete. Colorado can't be as bad as last year. I could concieve 5 teams from the central going and the Oilers missing. I think this teams in for a rude awakening. They aren't flying under the radar anymore. They lack a second line winger. Our defense is a patchwork mess. I see big issues. Big issues in flashing red lights.

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696671 is a reply to message #696572 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

1 Cup

Babaganoosh wrote on Mon, 26 June 2017 17:38

Chicago, Minnesota, St Louis, Anaheim and Nashville are better then us. San Jose is on the down trend but still Dangerous. Winnepeg, Calgary, and Dallas should compete. Colorado can't be as bad as last year. I could concieve 5 teams from the central going and the Oilers missing. I think this teams in for a rude awakening. They aren't flying under the radar anymore. They lack a second line winger. Our defense is a patchwork mess. I see big issues. Big issues in flashing red lights.

I'm not sold on Chicago and Nashville being better and if Anaheim is, then it's just barely. I think Chicago got worse with the trades they made plus losing Hossa, Nashville's riding high from the SCF so they (I think) only seem like they're better. Anaheim is probably even or barely better. I think Oilers are still second best in their division behind Anaheim and ahead of Calgary and San Jose. Arizona got a pile better too, but not there yet. In the central, Winnipeg and Dallas are going to be much better while I think Chicago slides. Minnesota and St Louis battling for 1st then Winnipeg, Chicago and Dallas battling for 3rd and the wildcards. I think the Oilers are stills safe at #2.

So, while I think you're right that it could be 5 Central and 3 Pacific, I still feel the Oilers will be one of those 3.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #698048 is a reply to message #696671 ]
Fri, 28 July 2017 15:16 Go to previous message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Looks like some pundits are calling for the Oil to be the SC Champs in 2018. It's weird seeing them pegged to finish first in the Pacific and winning the Cup, but in a good way. Man, it's nice to have that Connor kid in an Oil uniform for the next 9 years....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696426 is a reply to message #696424 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 18:23

I'm more worried about our defence, given Sekera is out for 1/3 to 1/2 the season. That could be a tough way to start the season and claw back from.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #696427 is a reply to message #696426 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 19:29

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 25 June 2017 18:23

I'm more worried about our defence, given Sekera is out for 1/3 to 1/2 the season. That could be a tough way to start the season and claw back from.

Which will put even more stress on Talbot. I think he's going to be pretty lonely back there at times.

Re: Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup [message #695417 is a reply to message #695405 ]
Mon, 12 June 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Wow. I figured we would be top 10, but #2? That's impressive.

Previous Topic:McDavid and Drai Extensions
Next Topic:Matthews is better than McDavid - E5
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca