This day on November 20
None

Happy Birthday To: d_ottosen, lambofgad, Ofer, JayStyles, oilpride5

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger...Pages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695162]
Fri, 02 June 2017 18:32 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-oilers-have-offe rs-on-the-table-for-eberle~1138391

Talk of Hamonic perhaps being available. I wonder if some of the D-heavy teams might be seriously looking at this.

ADDED - I hate autocorrect. It's definitely "Hamonic" not "Harmonic". Terrible.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2017 09:00]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695163 is a reply to message #695162 ]
Fri, 02 June 2017 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

The fact that Chiarelli isn't just taking the first offer on the table seems like progress from the previous regime.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695164 is a reply to message #695162 ]
Fri, 02 June 2017 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 02 June 2017 18:32

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-oilers-have-offe rs-on-the-table-for-eberle~1138391

Talk of Harmonic perhaps being available. I wonder if some of the D-heavy teams might be seriously looking at this.

I find it hard now to even talk about Ebs and this summer (McDavid/Drai extensions being the biggest stories that will come this summer). Obviously have opinions like everyone else on the player values and all that, but I find it so hard to predict what Chia will do. I don't really get him yet.

This summer is huge. So many hints will come out of it for how our cup window will progress for as long as Chia is GM. And all possibilities from horrid to great are possible in my mind.

No clue at all what Chia will accept for Ebs, or if he's actually serious about keeping him. Probably a good thing. I hope other GM's don't know his intentions either.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 June 2017 19:04]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695169 is a reply to message #695162 ]
Sat, 03 June 2017 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Hamonic for Eberle isn't as sweet as it sounds if we're talking pre-expansion draft since we'd have to protect 4 D and expose forwards that wouldn't otherwise be exposed.

If we're talking post-draft: sign me up.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695174 is a reply to message #695169 ]
Sun, 04 June 2017 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Last summer I would have liked the deal more, but now...... Not so sure. We already has a Hamonic type in Larsson, do we really need another? You would be giving up 20G/50pts for a solid top 4 defender who doesn't bring much offense or help the PP. If this is to fill in for Sekera or replace Russell then Chia better have another plan in place to bring in a right shot forward that can score. And as mentioned if the deal was done prior to the Vegas expansion, we have to expose more players. I don't do Hamonic for Eberle before the exp draft, and I still don't think I do it after.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695175 is a reply to message #695174 ]
Sun, 04 June 2017 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Sun, 04 June 2017 11:22

Last summer I would have liked the deal more, but now...... Not so sure. We already has a Hamonic type in Larsson, do we really need another? You would be giving up 20G/50pts for a solid top 4 defender who doesn't bring much offense or help the PP. If this is to fill in for Sekera or replace Russell then Chia better have another plan in place to bring in a right shot forward that can score. And as mentioned if the deal was done prior to the Vegas expansion, we have to expose more players. I don't do Hamonic for Eberle before the exp draft, and I still don't think I do it after.

Agreed, we have our defensive D for the top 4 already. If you want a Hamonic, just sign Russell again for a couple years. I'm not even sure if Hamonic is better defensively than Russell, and his offensive game has dried up just the same.

Need a D with some offensive skill for Ebs (probably needs to be a package we give up along with Ebs).

Not sure if I like the idea of just a forward swap for Eberle. Probably ends up just a gamble on another underachieving forward (more size, less skill of course), or an unproven guy with potential.

Cup window is a go. If you're making a hole, you better fill another one at the same time.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695201 is a reply to message #695175 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 04 June 2017 11:41

Agreed, we have our defensive D for the top 4 already.

Pass me some of what y'all are smokin. rasta

Last I checked Reggie is out for at least the start of the season and there's a UFA named Kris Russell who is a 4/5 at best and who definitely doesn't have a contract for next season.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695177 is a reply to message #695162 ]
Sun, 04 June 2017 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Here's a question: would you rather have Travis Hamonic or Tyson Barrie?

Apparently they are both on the market. The Avs want a defenseman back for Matt Duchene, and if they get one, Bob McKenzie suggested that at that point they'll move Tyson Barrie.

If the Oilers cool their jets a little on Hamonic, perhaps the Avs deal Duchene for Hamonic, and then the Oilers can make a move for Tyson Barrie (perhaps, for Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins).

Essentially, it could be a three-way deal:

To NYI: Matt Duchene
To Edmonton: Tyson Barrie
To Colorado: Travis Hamonic, Jordan Eberle

I'm honestly pretty good with either Hamonic or Barrie, though I think I lean a little towards Barrie, because I think Larsson delivers a lot Hamonic's strengths, whereas I still think the Oilers could use a puck-moving RH defenseman (which Hamonic is not).

Or better yet, just get that deal for Justin Faulk done.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695178 is a reply to message #695177 ]
Sun, 04 June 2017 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I would agree that Barrie fills our needs better. If there is a way to work that out, then that is better. Trading Eberle to get Hamonic doesn't fill our real need on D, and it creates a gaping hole on the right wing.

With that said, Hamonic is a harder player to get than Eberle and he is on a great contract. I like Ebs, but I think top 6 winger scoring can be found with more ease. When Ebs gets traded, I hope Chiarelli is looking for deals like the David Perron signing last year with St. Louis. A top four of Klefbom, Larsson, Hamonic, and Sekera still looks like a defense on paper that could run with the top teams. Perhaps a Sekera Hamonic pairing could leave easier matchups for Klefbom and generate more offense there. So I won't be unhappy to get Hamonic straight up for Ebs provided that there is a RW replacement found later.

Ideally, we can grab a defenseman without trading Eberle. I am worried that Chiarelli is scared to trade away players who haven't hit their ceiling like Nurse and Puljujarvi. In the same breath he is okay trading away his known stars like Hall and Ebs. The cup window started the day we won the McDavid lottery. Puljujarvi and Nurse could turn out to be great players, but I would one hundred percent rather have an immediate bonafide player in return. If we can get Faulk or Barrie or Hamonic using them, those are the trades I am exploring.

Is Trouba still an option? I haven't heard anything about him yet, but there is another avenue to explore.

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695179 is a reply to message #695177 ]
Sun, 04 June 2017 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 04 June 2017 15:50

Apparently they are both on the market. The Avs want a defenseman back for Matt Duchene, and if they get one, Bob McKenzie suggested that at that point they'll move Tyson Barrie.

If the Oilers cool their jets a little on Hamonic, perhaps the Avs deal Duchene for Hamonic, and then the Oilers can make a move for Tyson Barrie (perhaps, for Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins).

I'm honestly pretty good with either Hamonic or Barrie, though I think I lean a little towards Barrie, because I think Larsson delivers a lot Hamonic's strengths, whereas I still think the Oilers could use a puck-moving RH defenseman (which Hamonic is not).

I like that 3-way deal, NYI and/or Edm would probably have to add some sweetener, or eat some of Ebs salary for that to work. But it at least fills a need on D. We would then have a gaping hole on RW though, still it's a start.

Edit: Looking at Barrie's numbers though, he's coming off an off year, just like Eberle. Seems like he could be another Justin Schultz type, but that could be what we need now that we have an actual shut down top pairing. I might be willing to do Eberle for Barrie straight up after the expansion draft. Not sure if Col would or if any spare parts would be need to be added, but that deal might actually work for both teams. They could then either use Eberle in their top 6 or flip him for another need.

Oh, and I'm not one of the "run Jordan out of town peeps". I'm actually totally cool with Eberle staying. He's due to rebound next year. Any team that picks him up will be buying low and it will be a great value trade. Chia could simply be the beneficiary of Eberle's bounce back and not trade him. Cap won't be an issue next year, so no need to rush.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 June 2017 19:10]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695181 is a reply to message #695179 ]
Sun, 04 June 2017 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

.....I know he is a right hand shot, but Hamonic looks to me like a guy who would be barely able to crack the Oilers top 6 defense in the coming season, let alone the following year when Bear, Jones, and who knows who else might be ready....

....Hamonic was only able to play 49 games for the Islanders this season...I know some people debunk =/-, but Hamonic was -21, the worst of the Islanders D....( RHD Johnny Boychuk was +11 for the Islanders).....I don't know about his "advanced" stats, but I don't think coming out West would improve Hamonic's stats at all...

...I'm mostly in favour of keeping Eberle through the coming season, at least until the trade deadline....yes, his season and playoffs were disappointing to say the least, but I think he can show some improvement in the coming season....thinking "pump and dump"....

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695188 is a reply to message #695181 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 04 June 2017 23:42

.....I know he is a right hand shot, but Hamonic looks to me like a guy who would be barely able to crack the Oilers top 6 defense in the coming season, let alone the following year when Bear, Jones, and who knows who else might be ready....

....Hamonic was only able to play 49 games for the Islanders this season...I know some people debunk =/-, but Hamonic was -21, the worst of the Islanders D....( RHD Johnny Boychuk was +11 for the Islanders).....I don't know about his "advanced" stats, but I don't think coming out West would improve Hamonic's stats at all...

...I'm mostly in favour of keeping Eberle through the coming season, at least until the trade deadline....yes, his season and playoffs were disappointing to say the least, but I think he can show some improvement in the coming season....thinking "pump and dump"....

I am at a hard no on both Hamonic and Barrie. I didnt understand the infatuation with these two last year so I paid a bit more attention to watching them this year and neither fill a hole we have right now. If we traded Eberle for one our D wouldnt be much better but it would open up another hole in the roster

I think we had a good but not great D last year but for the most part they are in roles they belong and half are young and improving. In past years if we were to acquire an NHL: quality D our team was better by default. No we have a top 6 that are NHL worthy and should be getting better not worse next year.
If we pick up a D this year it would have to be a noticeable upgrade that makes bumping someone out of the spot worth it unless it is an offensive RHD

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695189 is a reply to message #695188 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 09:38

I am at a hard no on both Hamonic and Barrie. I didnt understand the infatuation with these two last year so I paid a bit more attention to watching them this year and neither fill a hole we have right now. If we traded Eberle for one our D wouldnt be much better but it would open up another hole in the roster

I think we had a good but not great D last year but for the most part they are in roles they belong and half are young and improving. In past years if we were to acquire an NHL: quality D our team was better by default. No we have a top 6 that are NHL worthy and should be getting better not worse next year.
If we pick up a D this year it would have to be a noticeable upgrade that makes bumping someone out of the spot worth it unless it is an offensive RHD

So you don't think if you added a Hamonic or a Barrie to the Oilers defense it would be much better? I think it is a lock that Klefbom- Larsson will be the #1 pairing. Last season the Oilers had Sekera-Russell as the #2 pairing. I am not a Russell hater. I thought he was pretty decent for the Oilers. If the Oilers brought Russell back provided it wasn't a long contract or for too much money, I would be OK with it. However, Ideally, I would like the Oilers to had in a top 4, right shot in his place. So if the Oilers were able to bring in a Barrie or Hamonic and when Sekera is back, you don't think a top 4 of:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic/Barrie

Is better than:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Russell

Not trying to stir anything up, just asking as I think it would be a lot better.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695191 is a reply to message #695189 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 09:49

So you don't think if you added a Hamonic or a Barrie to the Oilers defense it would be much better? I think it is a lock that Klefbom- Larsson will be the #1 pairing. Last season the Oilers had Sekera-Russell as the #2 pairing. I am not a Russell hater. I thought he was pretty decent for the Oilers. If the Oilers brought Russell back provided it wasn't a long contract or for too much money, I would be OK with it. However, Ideally, I would like the Oilers to had in a top 4, right shot in his place. So if the Oilers were able to bring in a Barrie or Hamonic and when Sekera is back, you don't think a top 4 of:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic/Barrie

Is better than:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Russell

Not trying to stir anything up, just asking as I think it would be a lot better.

Agreed. Not sure what Hamonic is like as a puck mover, but I can't imagine he's any worse than Russell.
If we do pick up a RHD I don't see any room for Russell either, especially if he's wanting 3m+. That's too much for a 3rd pairing guy, and I like Nurse - Benning as that 3rd pairing.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695192 is a reply to message #695189 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic/Barrie

Is better than:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Russell

I think the answer to your question is a tough as it depends on your thoughts on three very different and polarizing players.
Russell- blocks shots, decent all around D man but not great at any one thing. Tends to fire the puck out where he can but doesnt make tape to tape passes.

Barrie- a bit of an enigma. There is a chance he is a Schultz and a change of scenery unlocks his offensive potential. I saw him play a few games last year and he reminded me of the old Oilers d group. Often giving the puck up, full on fire drill in his own end.

Hamonic- Admittedly the one I have seen play least but I never understood the love for him. I feel like he is a way worse version of Larsson. Almost no offence, but worse defensively. When I did see him play he was far from a shut down guy.

I actually think with all things being equal (IE salary, term, age, acquisition cost) then the D as a group is best with Russell in the 2RD spot. That is a fairly uninformed decision based on my thoughts on the three options and not looking up ages and contracts and such.

As far as the thread we are in (Eberle) we are MUCH worse overall team if we trade him for either of those two guys. This isnt about replacing offence or anything else but the Oilers are SO thin on the right side that they really cant trade Eberle straight up for a RHD and not end up being a worse team.
To me THAT has to be the deciding factor in an Eberle trade is how much better the team will be. The window is wide open right now. I dont think it closes after MCDavids ELC ends but it will take some fancy drafting and cap managment to keep it open.
Even if I accept that the option at RHD in the trade market make the D better I dont think anyone believes that Hamonic or Barrie improves the D from pretty good to cup contender worthy.

What I would like to see happen is hold on to Eberle until certain dominoes fall.
- JP looks ready for a top 6 role
- a RW top FA comes in and fills that role (cant be a pricy one but someone who can adequately play those minutes)
- a trade comes along for a legit RH2D that makes the team noticably better.
- Next offseason before the new deal for McDavid kicks in.

My biggest fear is that Chia is now addicted to the big trade and pulls the trigger too early. There is absolutely no need to rush an Eberle deal.
- the team is not over a barrel in dire need of something. IE Larsson
- the team is not in cap trouble yet
- they wont be until next offseason and even then it isnt too bad
- the core that was a playoff team last year is young and getting better
- they are losing no key pieces
- for once the Oilers are the team with the luxury of waiting until another team is desperate for scoring, has to move an RFA that wont sign, etc

Long answer to your simple yes/no question RDOF but I hope that explains by hard no on those two guys.

PS. I know you arent trying to stir stuff up on this one. It's a big topic right now and a critical decision for Chia.
Us fans will be dealing with the fallout for a long time I think one way or another.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695194 is a reply to message #695192 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 10:31

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic/Barrie

Is better than:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Russell

I think the answer to your question is a tough as it depends on your thoughts on three very different and polarizing players.
Russell- blocks shots, decent all around D man but not great at any one thing. Tends to fire the puck out where he can but doesnt make tape to tape passes.

Barrie- a bit of an enigma. There is a chance he is a Schultz and a change of scenery unlocks his offensive potential. I saw him play a few games last year and he reminded me of the old Oilers d group. Often giving the puck up, full on fire drill in his own end.

Hamonic- Admittedly the one I have seen play least but I never understood the love for him. I feel like he is a way worse version of Larsson. Almost no offence, but worse defensively. When I did see him play he was far from a shut down guy.

I actually think with all things being equal (IE salary, term, age, acquisition cost) then the D as a group is best with Russell in the 2RD spot. That is a fairly uninformed decision based on my thoughts on the three options and not looking up ages and contracts and such.

As far as the thread we are in (Eberle) we are MUCH worse overall team if we trade him for either of those two guys. This isnt about replacing offence or anything else but the Oilers are SO thin on the right side that they really cant trade Eberle straight up for a RHD and not end up being a worse team.
To me THAT has to be the deciding factor in an Eberle trade is how much better the team will be. The window is wide open right now. I dont think it closes after MCDavids ELC ends but it will take some fancy drafting and cap managment to keep it open.
Even if I accept that the option at RHD in the trade market make the D better I dont think anyone believes that Hamonic or Barrie improves the D from pretty good to cup contender worthy.

What I would like to see happen is hold on to Eberle until certain dominoes fall.
- JP looks ready for a top 6 role
- a RW top FA comes in and fills that role (cant be a pricy one but someone who can adequately play those minutes)
- a trade comes along for a legit RH2D that makes the team noticably better.
- Next offseason before the new deal for McDavid kicks in.

My biggest fear is that Chia is now addicted to the big trade and pulls the trigger too early. There is absolutely no need to rush an Eberle deal.
- the team is not over a barrel in dire need of something. IE Larsson
- the core that was a playoff team last year is young and getting better
- they are losing no key pieces
- for once the Oilers are the team with the luxury of waiting until another team is desperate for scoring, has to move an RFA that wont sign, etc

Long answer to your simple yes/no question RDOF but I hope that explains by hard no on those two guys.

PS. I know you arent trying to stir stuff up on this one. It's a big topic right now and a critical decision for Chia.
Us fans will be dealing with the fallout for a long time I think one way or another.

You raise some good points for sure. I like what Barrie brings points wise but I am like you in that I wonder about him on the otherside of the puck. At 5.5 mill, I expect a dman to do more than just score points.

For Eberle. Like I said, I am not looking to run him out of town. I just see this offseason as a one off and a big time opportunity to maybe make a move that can improve your team rather than just a salary dump. My biggest concern with waiting on Eberle is right now the Oilers for cap reasons don't have to trade Eberle this coming season. Like you said, they aren't in a desperate situation like they were last year with Larsson. So they can hold out a bit and hopefully get the offers up. But the time is coming where they will be forced to move salary most likely. I just don't want them to get into a situation where they are selling off a player strictly for the salary dump and taking what they can get. IN a cap world, trading a 6 mill player is hard enough. By trading him "early" than you have too, I hope they get better value as I don't see Eberle's value going up even if he has a decent year because they are now needing to get rid of salary. I am of the opinion that the longer they wait, the less Eberle will be worth.

I also feel that if you trade Eberle, you have to go get someone else on the right side. I think they need that anyway even if he is here.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695197 is a reply to message #695194 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:02

You raise some good points for sure. I like what Barrie brings points wise but I am like you in that I wonder about him on the otherside of the puck. At 5.5 mill, I expect a dman to do more than just score points.

For Eberle. Like I said, I am not looking to run him out of town. I just see this offseason as a one off and a big time opportunity to maybe make a move that can improve your team rather than just a salary dump. My biggest concern with waiting on Eberle is right now the Oilers for cap reasons don't have to trade Eberle this coming season. Like you said, they aren't in a desperate situation like they were last year with Larsson. So they can hold out a bit and hopefully get the offers up. But the time is coming where they will be forced to move salary most likely. I just don't want them to get into a situation where they are selling off a player strictly for the salary dump and taking what they can get. IN a cap world, trading a 6 mill player is hard enough. By trading him "early" than you have too, I hope they get better value as I don't see Eberle's value going up even if he has a decent year because they are now needing to get rid of salary. I am of the opinion that the longer they wait, the less Eberle will be worth.

I also feel that if you trade Eberle, you have to go get someone else on the right side. I think they need that anyway even if he is here.

I see your side on Eberle and that is a solid reason to explore trades now VS a year from now.
To flip your question a bit based on your comments above;
- do you think we are a better team by trading Eberle for one of those two? or an equivalent D man.
- you make a good point that we need to upgrade the right side even with Eberle. Does that not make trading him for a marginal defence upgrade make that task even tougher?

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695200 is a reply to message #695197 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:27

I see your side on Eberle and that is a solid reason to explore trades now VS a year from now.
- do you think we are a better team by trading Eberle for one of those two? or an equivalent D man.
- you make a good point that we need to upgrade the right side even with Eberle. Does that not make trading him for a marginal defence upgrade make that task even tougher?

If the Preds this year have proved anything, you can go a long way in this league by having a good goalie, a real good top 4 defense and then a few good forwards. I look at the Preds forwards and then compare them to the Oilers and I think the Oilers forwards are better even if Eberle was out of the picture. I see the Preds having a HUGE advantage of defense. So in my opinion, if they can add 1 more decent top 4 dman to bridge that gap, they can handle the Preds or who ever else.

They way I am looking at the Oilers is similar to how the Pens are built. I see the Oilers have 2 elite centers. The Pens have 2 elite centers to drive their offense then surround them with OK wingers who are cheap. Other than Kessel, I wouldn't call any of their wingers as super stars and they aren't high priced. I look at the Pens and they traded James Neal for Hornqvist and Nick Spalling. Neal was the much better scorer than Hornqvist. The Pens gave up the on paper better scorer but got back 2 players. Hornqvist being able to fill in Neal's shoes. Maybe not totally goal wise (close but gave them other things that Neal doesn't and was cheaper. I think production wise, Neal has 1 31 goal season, Hornqvist has been pretty consistently around the 22-25 goal range. So while the Pens may have given up a few goals by trading away Neal, the got back a more rounded player that fit in better with their team. So I am wondering if the Oilers could do the same. If they don't trade Eberle for a dman, could they trade him for another RW. On paper the Oilers give up a guy that will probably score a few more goals but the get back a guy that replaces most of Eberle's offense, is a lot cheaper but brings more of what Eberle lacks.

My thinking is you use the fact you have a McDavid and he will make ANYONE he plays with so much better. Eberle should probably score you 25 goals easily. MAYBE 30 once in a while. Though he hasn't done it in a long time and I am not convinced he can play with McDavid ever. So what if you trade Eberle, a 25 goal man for a 17 goal man but who plays a better all around game, shoots more, compliments McDavid and who can kill some penalties and play in more situations than Eberle. You do it knowing being with McDavid will elevate him and his production to over 20 plus doing all the other things. AND because you shaved a couple of million, you can spend that some other way. Are you really missing out? I am not convinced you are.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2017 12:31]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695202 is a reply to message #695200 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 12:20

If the Preds this year have proved anything, you can go a long way in this league by having a good goalie, a real good top 4 defense and then a few good forwards. I look at the Preds forwards and then compare them to the Oilers and I think the Oilers forwards are better even if Eberle was out of the picture. I see the Preds having a HUGE advantage of defense. So in my opinion, if they can add 1 more decent top 4 dman to bridge that gap, they can handle the Preds or who ever else.

They way I am looking at the Oilers is similar to how the Pens are built. I see the Oilers have 2 elite centers. The Pens have 2 elite centers to drive their offense then surround them with OK wingers who are cheap. Other than Kessel, I wouldn't call any of their wingers as super stars and they aren't high priced. I look at the Pens and they traded James Neal for Hornqvist and Nick Spalling. Neal was the much better scorer than Hornqvist. The Pens gave up the on paper better scorer but got back 2 players. Hornqvist being able to fill in Neal's shoes. Maybe not totally goal wise (close but gave them other things that Neal doesn't and was cheaper. I think production wise, Neal has 1 31 goal season, Hornqvist has been pretty consistently around the 22-25 goal range. So while the Pens may have given up a few goals by trading away Neal, the got back a more rounded player that fit in better with their team. So I am wondering if the Oilers could do the same. If they don't trade Eberle for a dman, could they trade him for another RW. On paper the Oilers give up a guy that will probably score a few more goals but the get back a guy that replaces most of Eberle's offense, is a lot cheaper but brings more of what Eberle lacks.

My thinking is you use the fact you have a McDavid and he will make ANYONE he plays with so much better. Eberle should probably score you 25 goals easily. MAYBE 30 once in a while. Though he hasn't done it in a long time and I am not convinced he can play with McDavid ever. So what if you trade Eberle, a 25 goal man for a 17 goal man but who plays a better all around game, shoots more, compliments McDavid and who can kill some penalties and play in more situations than Eberle. You do it knowing being with McDavid will elevate him and his production to over 20 plus doing all the other things. AND because you shaved a couple of million, you can spend that some other way. Are you really missing out? I am not convinced you are.

It is clear we see the "what to do with Eberle" solution differently and I am not trying to convince you but here are my issues with your post.

"If the Preds this year have proved anything, you can go a long way in this league by having a good goalie, a real good top 4 defense and then a few good forwards."
- the gap between the preds top 4 and the Oilers top 4 is huge
- I dont like the options being discussed in Hamonic and Barrie. For discussions sake lets say I do really like them. Replacing Russel with one of them does not get us in even the same discussion as the preds top 4. Especially with Sekera out for a while

"McDavid and he will make ANYONE he plays with so much better. "
- better yes, but not everyone can play with him. In fact many players have said over the years that it is hard to play with the top guys. they just think, see and play the game that takes the RIGHT fit not just a good player. But then you say a few words later

"Eberle should probably score you 25 goals easily. MAYBE 30 once in a while. Though he hasn't done it in a long time and I am not convinced he can play with McDavid ever"

- I dont think anyone here doubts Eberles skill. Or Lucic's for that matter. Is Maroon a more skilled player? Better hockey player? I doubt anyone will say that. Chemistry isnt just about putting a good player with a great one and BOOM 30 goal season. I know McDavid is awesome but outside of his looming contract the Eberle question to me has NOTHING to do with McDavid. They need to find someone with chemistry for McDavid's right side. That doesnt seem like Eberle. I REALLY hope it is JP and Eberle, or his replacement, finds some with Draisaitl

"AND because you shaved a couple of million, you can spend that some other way. "
trading Eberle opens up a spot on the RW, we all agree there. I think we all agree that the RW needs more depth, skill, whatever. With or without a trade of Eberle.
If they trade him for a defenceman we have that salary and whatever player(s) we get to fill the RW need. Hopefully one is JP who would be cheaper than some options but it is almost a given that the Eberle trade return plus whoever plays in his spot actually costs more money.

The more I type this reply and the more I think about it, there is no rumored trade so far that makes the Oilers a better overall team as a standlone item. (other deals, FA, etc)
Also the more I think about it the more I think the deciding factor has to be when JP is ready for top 6 minutes.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695205 is a reply to message #695202 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 13:00

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 12:20

It is clear we see the "what to do with Eberle" solution differently and I am not trying to convince you but here are my issues with your post.

"If the Preds this year have proved anything, you can go a long way in this league by having a good goalie, a real good top 4 defense and then a few good forwards."
- the gap between the preds top 4 and the Oilers top 4 is huge
- I dont like the options being discussed in Hamonic and Barrie. For discussions sake lets say I do really like them. Replacing Russel with one of them does not get us in even the same discussion as the preds top 4. Especially with Sekera out for a while

"McDavid and he will make ANYONE he plays with so much better. "
- better yes, but not everyone can play with him. In fact many players have said over the years that it is hard to play with the top guys. they just think, see and play the game that takes the RIGHT fit not just a good player. But then you say a few words later

"Eberle should probably score you 25 goals easily. MAYBE 30 once in a while. Though he hasn't done it in a long time and I am not convinced he can play with McDavid ever"

- I dont think anyone here doubts Eberles skill. Or Lucic's for that matter. Is Maroon a more skilled player? Better hockey player? I doubt anyone will say that. Chemistry isnt just about putting a good player with a great one and BOOM 30 goal season. I know McDavid is awesome but outside of his looming contract the Eberle question to me has NOTHING to do with McDavid. They need to find someone with chemistry for McDavid's right side. That doesnt seem like Eberle. I REALLY hope it is JP and Eberle, or his replacement, finds some with Draisaitl

"AND because you shaved a couple of million, you can spend that some other way. "
trading Eberle opens up a spot on the RW, we all agree there. I think we all agree that the RW needs more depth, skill, whatever. With or without a trade of Eberle.
If they trade him for a defenceman we have that salary and whatever player(s) we get to fill the RW need. Hopefully one is JP who would be cheaper than some options but it is almost a given that the Eberle trade return plus whoever plays in his spot actually costs more money.

The more I type this reply and the more I think about it, there is no rumored trade so far that makes the Oilers a better overall team as a standlone item. (other deals, FA, etc)
Also the more I think about it the more I think the deciding factor has to be when JP is ready for top 6 minutes.

You can disagree with me if you want but I don't see how holding onto Eberle at his price point helps this team be better for much longer or even better next season. When "On" Eberle is a 25 goal player, the numbers says that is what he is. At 27, I don't see a sudden up tick coming. So at 6 mill, 25 goals isn't enough for me. He doesn't do enough other things to justify his salary. At 27, I don't see Eberle suddenly modifying his game a ton to make him a more valuable player. He is what he is. There are red flags in his game that concerns me. His playoffs really concern me as a trend for him. While I don't think Nuge had an awesome playoffs and his scoring was brutal, I saw Nuge at least do SOME things that you don't see normally. He found other areas to at least contribute a little bit. I saw nothing from Eberle. In my opinion, when the games get harder, you can't have a player making that much money doing nothing and succeed as a team. Also, the more I think about it, the more concerned I am about Eberle actually "bouncing back" and scoring more goals. I don't know what role he will have. He started the year on the #1 PP and was replaced with Letestu. The PP took off when they put Letestu in Eberle's spot. So I can't see the Oilers taking Letestu off the first unit PP. Not a chance they play Eberle with McDavid. We he has already seen a reduced role on the PP and in the lines. So I am concerned where all these extra goals are going to come from that some people think he will score.

So like I said and you have said. The Oilers cap wise don't have to trade Eberle. They can hold onto him for another year. I have no clue what the offers are for Eberle. If all they are is a few picks, then maybe it makes no sense to trade him now. I would hope you can get more but I don't know. I just don't see how his value goes up by keeping him and waiting until you have too trade him for cap reasons. I don't want the Oilers in a year or 2 from now to become like the Hawks where they are selling off players just as a salary dump. I don't want a scenario where they are forced to keep older, expensive players and forced to sell off younger, better players.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2017 14:38]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695203 is a reply to message #695200 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:20

My thinking is you use the fact you have a McDavid and he will make ANYONE he plays with so much better.

Well, except for Eberle, apparently icon_wink

C'mon, I know we go back and forth on this all day, but you can't argue that McDavid makes "ANYONE so much better" and then 3 sentences later say that Eberle can't play with him.

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:20

So what if you trade Eberle, a 25 goal man for a 17 goal man but who plays a better all around game, shoots more, compliments McDavid and who can kill some penalties and play in more situations than Eberle. You do it knowing being with McDavid will elevate him and his production to over 20 plus doing all the other things. AND because you shaved a couple of million, you can spend that some other way. Are you really missing out? I am not convinced you are.

So what you're saying is that the Oilers should trade Eberle for a better player that makes $4M? As soon as you find the team that is willing to make that deal, count me in!

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695199 is a reply to message #695192 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 09:31

These to me are the key points. And until we know what the McDavid/Drai extensions look like, and what the cap number will be, the Oilers might actually be in pretty decent shape going into the 2018/19 season.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695186 is a reply to message #695179 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Barrie is what we need to have an "actual shut down top pairing"?

Did you look at his stats? Have you ever watched him play? The guy is small and is NOT defensively reliable.

Shut down pairing. Wow.

By the way, that trade suggestion is insane. Colorado takes that trade all day, any day. Every single day, they take that trade.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695184 is a reply to message #695177 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 04 June 2017 16:50

I am like you. I would be good with either Hamonic or Barrie. Each of them brings things the Oilers could use. The one thing I do l love about Hamonic is the contract. At just over 3.8mill Hamonic is grossly underpaid. If you had a good top 4 where 3 of your top 4 is making 4.2 or less that is a HUGE advantage. I'm a guy that would like a good, point scoring, right shot guy in the top 4 but at the same time, if the offense comes from the left side, I don't really care where it comes from at the end of the day. I think the offense of Klefbom is only going to get better and Sekera when he is back is a solid 30+ pt guy. Plus I am a huge fan of Benning and I think he's a future 30+ point guy.

In general. I am not trying to run Eberle out of town but I just see this offseason as a huge opportunity to actually make a good trade and maybe get assets that can help your team immediately. If its not Eberle, just in general making a move to bring in a player what can help the team that in a year from now probably isn't available. There is a brand new, blank canvas team with no money on the books who has an owner who has made it public he doesn't want to be your typical expansion team that takes a decade to get remotely decent, there are teams that will be scrambling to trade people because of the expansion draft so that could open up players who in other years wouldn't be available. There is a current team, the AV's looking to maybe blow up their team. You even have the Canucks who are finally realizing their team is dying a slow death and they need to change things. A year from now, I assume the Av's won't be still gutting their team, the Canucks will be in rebuild mode, Vegas will have taken whatever big contracts they are willing to take and you won't have teams looking to move guys because they are scared they will lose them.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2017 08:53]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695185 is a reply to message #695177 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Tyson Barrie is small, is not impressive defensively, doesn't put up offensive numbers enough to offset the goals that they give up with him on the ice...

I've never really understood the hype with this guy. I'd much rather take Hamonic and rely on Klef for our offensive production, rather than Barrie.

Barrie has to be one of the most overrated players in the NHL. He's a poor man's version of Kevin Shattenkirk. Equally as defensively unreliable with less offensive upside.

And yet he gets paid big, big money. 5.5M / year? For that dude? That's terrible.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695187 is a reply to message #695185 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 08:53

Tyson Barrie is small, is not impressive defensively, doesn't put up offensive numbers enough to offset the goals that they give up with him on the ice...

I've never really understood the hype with this guy. I'd much rather take Hamonic and rely on Klef for our offensive production, rather than Barrie.

Barrie has to be one of the most overrated players in the NHL. He's a poor man's version of Kevin Shattenkirk. Equally as defensively unreliable with less offensive upside.

And yet he gets paid big, big money. 5.5M / year? For that dude? That's terrible.

It all comes down to the points he can put up and the fact he can move the puck from the back then. Don't get me wrong, that is very important but there are people who value that a ton and maybe more than they should. When Schultz came out of school, supposedly pretty much every team was after him. The knock on Schultz coming out was his lack of defense and compete. 2 things I think are EXTREMELY important for a dman. With the Pens, Schultz has found a role that works for him. But he is still a bit suspect defensively, his team is just so stacked they can cover him. Schultz is going to get HUGE money this offseason because he put up big points. Unless he takes a paycut to stay in Pitts, another team is going to pay big time for Schultz and while Schultz I am sure will be OK, he won't be as good as he is for the Pens because his role will increase and the team around him won't be stacked. Let's keep in mind, the Pens might go back to back in Cups here and it's not because of Schultz. They have 2 really good starting goalies as their 1-2 as an example.

Even here in Edmonton. I thought Larsson was really good for the Oilers and brought things the Oilers have needed for soooo long in both the regular season and playoffs. Given what Larsson brings to the Oilers and his contract, I think this deal looks like it will be a win for the Oilers if it isn't already. Even though pretty much everyone things Larsson was really good for the Oilers, some still say the Oilers paid to much. I bet if Larsson had 8-10 more points, everyone would be praising the deal. Which to me goes to show that people still don't value the ability to defend as a dman as much as they should. You still need dmen to score you points but they also need to defend.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2017 09:28]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695356 is a reply to message #695177 ]
Sat, 10 June 2017 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Both for Ebs and Nuge but after expansion.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695357 is a reply to message #695356 ]
Sat, 10 June 2017 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

cosmicheretic wrote on Sat, 10 June 2017 19:19

Both for Ebs and Nuge but after expansion.

This would be so Oilers. We've had an issue with defence and depth at forward so trade away all the forwards and have five top 4 defencemen, and guys like Kassian playing way up the lineup because there's no one left with offensive skill.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695190 is a reply to message #695162 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

With all the talk about how the Oilers are already thin on RW even with Eberle, would anyone consider doing a deal where Ryan Strome comes to the Oilers? Would the Islanders even entertain that thought? The salary difference is huge though ($6 million to Strome's $2.5 million).

I think he still has upside, he's hit 50 points in a season before. I'd think he could put up Eberle like regular season numbers.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695195 is a reply to message #695190 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 10:08

With all the talk about how the Oilers are already thin on RW even with Eberle, would anyone consider doing a deal where Ryan Strome comes to the Oilers? Would the Islanders even entertain that thought? The salary difference is huge though ($6 million to Strome's $2.5 million).

I think he still has upside, he's hit 50 points in a season before. I'd think he could put up Eberle like regular season numbers.

There would need to be something added to Strome to make the deal legit. Strome has cache', has better size (6'1" - not physical) but has inconsistencies on both offense and defense. He is younger and cheaper which is good. Maybe he needs a coach like Todd M with structure and he gets better at both? Maybe NYI adds their 1st rd pick with Strome & we add our 3rd rd pick into the deal? Then trade one of the 2 1st rounders we would have to Vegas for a legit top 4 RH dman (Nick Ellis?) Maybe that might work.

I do see Strome with some upside and he could replace a minimum of 15 of the 20 goals lost by Eberle.

So the deal would be
Eberle & 3rd pick
for
Strome & 1st rd pick

Not sure if that flies, but maybe Isles are desperate to get Tavares some scoring help to get him signed to long term deal this summer?

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695196 is a reply to message #695195 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:16

There would need to be something added to Strome to make the deal legit. Strome has cache', has better size (6'1" - not physical) but has inconsistencies on both offense and defense. He is younger and cheaper which is good. Maybe he needs a coach like Todd M with structure and he gets better at both? Maybe NYI adds their 1st rd pick with Strome & we add our 3rd rd pick into the deal? Then trade one of the 2 1st rounders we would have to Vegas for a legit top 4 RH dman (Nick Ellis?) Maybe that might work.

I do see Strome with some upside and he could replace a minimum of 15 of the 20 goals lost by Eberle.

So the deal would be
Eberle & 3rd pick
for
Strome & 1st rd pick

Not sure if that flies, but maybe Isles are desperate to get Tavares some scoring help to get him signed to long term deal this summer?

I just wondered if there is a way to get a bigger deal that would maybe bring you Hamonic and Strome for a package of Eberle and whatever. If the Isles want to keep Tavares, he needs help.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695204 is a reply to message #695196 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:19

So the deal would be
Eberle & 3rd pick
for
Strome & 1st rd pick

I just wondered if there is a way to get a bigger deal that would maybe bring you Hamonic and Strome for a package of Eberle and whatever. If the Isles want to keep Tavares, he needs help.

I would like that as well, but the Isles are in expansion trouble and need to move a Dman before the expansion draft. That puts us in a real pickle as we would have to go 4/4/1 or make a deal that would be quite costly with Vegas and it seems like the going rate is a 1st rd pick from all the rumors floating around.
That would give you Hamonic & Strome For Eberle, (another decent asset-probably one of Bear or Jones)) & a 1st rounder to Vegas to make them steer to the pick you want them to take. That would be a heavy price to pay for a top 4 dman & a potential top 6 forward, plus give away a top 6 forward.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695207 is a reply to message #695204 ]
Mon, 05 June 2017 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Jakey wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 12:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 June 2017 11:19

So the deal would be
Eberle & 3rd pick
for
Strome & 1st rd pick

I would like that as well, but the Isles are in expansion trouble and need to move a Dman before the expansion draft. That puts us in a real pickle as we would have to go 4/4/1 or make a deal that would be quite costly with Vegas and it seems like the going rate is a 1st rd pick from all the rumors floating around.
That would give you Hamonic & Strome For Eberle, (another decent asset-probably one of Bear or Jones)) & a 1st rounder to Vegas to make them steer to the pick you want them to take. That would be a heavy price to pay for a top 4 dman & a potential top 6 forward, plus give away a top 6 forward.

Yeah, that's way to much to pay. You can't let the exp draft force a trade when we're actually setup pretty good, that in itself is worth something. If Chia were to "help" another team get out of trouble by getting himself into trouble the payoff would need to be bigger.

The more I think about it, stand pat unless a team gets desperate and offers up an overpay for Eberle. And let's face it, when was the last time anyone ever overpaid for a player in Edmonton?

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695218 is a reply to message #695162 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Latest organization of rumours from Staples:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ jordan-eberle-trade-speculation-hits-maximum-warp

"Insiders" suggesting Ebs isn't enough for Hamonic, which makes sense. Hamonic had an off year too, but he has been a solid top 4 guy in the past. Top 4 D on good contracts are valuable.

Stauffer suggesting the OIlers just take a downgrade of player on a cheaper deal like Ryan Strome. I'm sure that will make the masses happy :)

I'd rather we sweeten the pot to get Hamonic than get Strome. Hamonic has way more value. Islanders should be desperate for scoring, we should have a decent hand to play here. Obviously I would like to complete our top 4 another way, but if Chia is fixated on trading Ebs, then Hamonic every day of the week over a RW downgrade swap.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695219 is a reply to message #695218 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 07:46

Latest organization of rumours from Staples:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ jordan-eberle-trade-speculation-hits-maximum-warp

"Insiders" suggesting Ebs isn't enough for Hamonic, which makes sense. Hamonic had an off year too, but he has been a solid top 4 guy in the past. Top 4 D on good contracts are valuable.

Stauffer suggesting the OIlers just take a downgrade of player on a cheaper deal like Ryan Strome. I'm sure that will make the masses happy :)

I'd rather we sweeten the pot to get Hamonic than get Strome. Hamonic has way more value. Islanders should be desperate for scoring, we should have a decent hand to play here. Obviously I would like to complete our top 4 another way, but if Chia is fixated on trading Ebs, then Hamonic every day of the week over a RW downgrade swap.

Oh boy, you better watch what you say about an Oilers forward. You are probably going to be torched for agreeing that Eberle straight up for Hamonic wouldn't be enough from the Oilers. Even though its not true, there are many people who think a decent forward is worth more than a good top 4 dman on a really good contract. Look at all the backlash over the Hall trade. There were actual people out there who thought Hall was worth a #1 dman as an example.

I don't pretend to know a lot about Strome other than he is a young, right shooting, underachieving forward who was picked pretty high by the Islanders who hasn't worked out. I have gone back and forth about whether I think it's a good idea to trade Eberle (if you can) for a dman before the expansion draft) or wait. If you get a dman, then all of a sudden you have to go 4-4. Then all of a sudden you have to expose Letestu and Kassian most likely. While it would hurt and I like him, you can probably withstand losing Letestu, I think Kassian would be a BIG loss. The guy was drafted really high, he just let his off ice lifestyle take over for a while. With his combination of size, speed, physical play, nastiness, agitation, he's got some skill. I think he could be a HUGE value to the Oilers. I think he's got it in him to be a 12-15 goal guy while doing what I said and killing penalties while being cheap.

If the Oilers do trade an Eberle and they bring back a forward, I see them bringing back a Strome like guy. From an Islanders point of view, on paper you get an immediate upgrade as Eberle should be able to score 25 goals. For the Oilers, they get a younger, cheaper, better skating guy who has under achieved. The thinking being is a change would spark Strome. He has a 17 goal, 50 pts season not long ago and he is only 23. Could he get over 20 on a line with McDavid or Leon? Pretty good chance. If you can get over 20 goals and trim 3.5 mill of salary doing it, might be OK. I wouldn't want to trade Eberle straight up for Strome but if they through in a pick or prospect, I would consider it. I am sure people will rip me for saying that because they think the value isn't enough for Eberle but there seems to be people in here who place zero value on cap space. Cap space is considered an asset now a days.

I wonder if there is a way to get a package where you put Eberle & a pick or prospect for Strome and a dman like Pulock. Pulock is a 6'3, 215lbs, right shot, 22 yr old, offensive dman with a big shot. He was drafted 15th overall. Seems to put up good numbers in the AHL. Looks to be a guy on the cusp of being a full time NHLer. He has a tiny bit of NHL experienced, got into 6 playoff games 2 seasons ago. Could he be that cheap, right shot, bomb from the point, PP guy who maybe plays in the 3rd pairing next season?

[Updated on: Wed, 07 June 2017 08:43]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695221 is a reply to message #695219 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Here is an angle that no one seems to talk about when it comes to Eberle. What does keeping Eberle for one more year do to the team and to him? When people bring up the argument that the Oilers don't have to trade him this offseason for cap reasons, that they can hold on to him 1 more season then trade him. What does that do to the locker room and to Eberle when he would basically be a deadman walking?

Players aren't stupid. They hear all the rumours, the media talk. They know what would be coming with the McDavid contract and the Leon contract. They would know that at some point, someone will be gone. They would also know the pecking order for the team. So if you are Eberle. You know you make 6 mill, you know the team will have to shed salary at some point, you know your role on the team has diminished because other younger guys have passed you, what does that do to you as a player and the team if you are walking around knowing you are living on borrowed time. In the case of Hall, he didn't know he was going to be traded and I don't think the Oilers planned on trading at first until they realized, he was the only guy that could get them anything remotely decent. In the case of Eberle, he was rumoured to be one of the guys that should go last year, it didn't happen. Now given his poor season and crap playoffs, the trade Eberle talk is even more intense.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695224 is a reply to message #695221 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 09:04

Here is an angle that no one seems to talk about when it comes to Eberle. What does keeping Eberle for one more year do to the team and to him? When people bring up the argument that the Oilers don't have to trade him this offseason for cap reasons, that they can hold on to him 1 more season then trade him. What does that do to the locker room and to Eberle when he would basically be a deadman walking?

Players aren't stupid. They hear all the rumours, the media talk. They know what would be coming with the McDavid contract and the Leon contract. They would know that at some point, someone will be gone. They would also know the pecking order for the team. So if you are Eberle. You know you make 6 mill, you know the team will have to shed salary at some point, you know your role on the team has diminished because other younger guys have passed you, what does that do to you as a player and the team if you are walking around knowing you are living on borrowed time. In the case of Hall, he didn't know he was going to be traded and I don't think the Oilers planned on trading at first until they realized, he was the only guy that could get them anything remotely decent. In the case of Eberle, he was rumoured to be one of the guys that should go last year, it didn't happen. Now given his poor season and crap playoffs, the trade Eberle talk is even more intense.

I think that is a very good point and that is where us fans, the media, talking heads, radio guys, etc dont REALLY know what Eberle is like behind closed doors and with the team/staff.
He comes across laid back and not really caring a whole lot but for some guys it burns inside and not in on the face emotion.
This is where Chia and Todd have to decide if he has it in him to play through that. I wont get into the value to the team as we are on opposite sides of that but to directly respond to your thoughts;
- I am coaching the team I use it as motivation. There have been a bunch of articles about the Oilers being attractive to FA's for the first time in a long time. If Eberle wants to be a part of that then now is the time to show it. Use the media criticism and rumours as fuel. If the management think that ship has sailed then or if he doesnt show anything next year to prove he is a regular season and playoff asset worth his 6 mill then trade him

- "basically a deadman walking" this is a case with plenty of players around the league. Almost every team has one well paid, high profile guy who is constantly talked about in trade rumours. It is part of the game. To the point above, how he responds to that will say a lot about him and his drive to succeed

- you mention his role diminishing because young players have passed him. I accept our differences on his point production VS contract value, I accept that you would rather a 2nd pairing D man than him on the team. What I cant get around is this. We dont have anyone who is a RW who has passed him on the depth chart.
I think this has been asked many times before and I dont think I have seen a direct answer. If the Oilers trade Eberle for a defenceman who do you propose is our starting lineup on game #1 along the right side?

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695227 is a reply to message #695224 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 10:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 09:04

I think that is a very good point and that is where us fans, the media, talking heads, radio guys, etc dont REALLY know what Eberle is like behind closed doors and with the team/staff.
He comes across laid back and not really caring a whole lot but for some guys it burns inside and not in on the face emotion.
This is where Chia and Todd have to decide if he has it in him to play through that. I wont get into the value to the team as we are on opposite sides of that but to directly respond to your thoughts;
- I am coaching the team I use it as motivation. There have been a bunch of articles about the Oilers being attractive to FA's for the first time in a long time. If Eberle wants to be a part of that then now is the time to show it. Use the media criticism and rumours as fuel. If the management think that ship has sailed then or if he doesnt show anything next year to prove he is a regular season and playoff asset worth his 6 mill then trade him

- "basically a deadman walking" this is a case with plenty of players around the league. Almost every team has one well paid, high profile guy who is constantly talked about in trade rumours. It is part of the game. To the point above, how he responds to that will say a lot about him and his drive to succeed

- you mention his role diminishing because young players have passed him. I accept our differences on his point production VS contract value, I accept that you would rather a 2nd pairing D man than him on the team. What I cant get around is this. We dont have anyone who is a RW who has passed him on the depth chart.
I think this has been asked many times before and I dont think I have seen a direct answer. If the Oilers trade Eberle for a defenceman who do you propose is our starting lineup on game #1 along the right side?

Agreed on many points:

- There's no dead man walking, because its unclear when we'll be forced to trade anyone, or who will have to be traded. Lots of things can change in a year, including the continued escalation of the cap.

Change is a constant. Everyone's job is always at risk, and trades happen. Players need to focus on playing, and trust that if they're playing well, they probably won't get dealt. If they do, then they deal with that then.

- There's no one that's passed Eberle at RW. He was the third highest scoring player on the team and the highest scoring winger. At even strength, he was BY FAR the highest scoring winger. The idea that he's been passed is laughable.

- I would be worried about the impact of the character assassination on Eberle right now. Rishaug, for example, talks extremely negatively about him almost any time there's a mike nearby. If I'm the management, I'm either A) blasting some of that press coverage to defend my player or B) telling Rishaug to zip it or he doesn't get any more scoops from the team. (Unless of course the team has asked him to do it, which I wouldn't put past them, although it's a really bad idea if they have.)

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695222 is a reply to message #695218 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 06:46

100% agree with this. The Oilers should not be banking on a guy that was a 3rd line player with the Islanders last year to be their #1 RW. That's a recipe for disaster and not a risk they should be taking in the last year of McDavid's ELC.

Hamonic's injuries are a bit worrisome, but he's a good player with a really good contract. I don't buy the hype that he doesn't have any offensive skills, I think he's a good puck mover and when he was given PP time he performed reasonably well. And if bringing him in means they don't have to sign Russell to a 4-year deal, then even better. Bringing in Hamonic, assuming he can return to his pre-16/17 form, would solidify the Oilers defence for the next several years.

In a normal year, I would agree that Hamonic has more value than Eberle, however the Islanders are in trouble with the expansion draft, so I think there is room for the Oilers to negotiate. I think the range of deals involving Eberle and Hamonic could be anywhere from the Islanders having to add a bit to the Oilers having to add a bit.

And finally, the fact that so many people are talking about Eberle for Hamonic means with almost 100% certainty that this deal will not happen.

Oh wait, I was supposed to rip you. Um, we've never met but I'm sure you're really bad at bowling Fight

ETA: looking at the Islanders cap situation, they're not in good shape there either. They can't take on Eberle's salary without shedding more salary than just Strome's which means the Oilers taking another contract back which makes that deal even worse for the Oilers. Count me out of any Eberle for Strome deal.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 June 2017 10:18]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695223 is a reply to message #695222 ]
Wed, 07 June 2017 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 09:59

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 June 2017 06:46

100% agree with this. The Oilers should not be banking on a guy that was a 3rd line player with the Islanders last year to be their #1 RW. That's a recipe for disaster and not a risk they should be taking in the last year of McDavid's ELC.

Hamonic's injuries are a bit worrisome, but he's a good player with a really good contract. I don't buy the hype that he doesn't have any offensive skills, I think he's a good puck mover and when he was given PP time he performed reasonably well. And if bringing him in means they don't have to sign Russell to a 4-year deal, then even better. Bringing in Hamonic, assuming he can return to his pre-16/17 form, would solidify the Oilers defence for the next several years.

In a normal year, I would agree that Hamonic has more value than Eberle, however the Islanders are in trouble with the expansion draft, so I think there is room for the Oilers to negotiate. I think the range of deals involving Eberle and Hamonic could be anywhere from the Islanders having to add a bit to the Oilers having to add a bit.

And finally, the fact that so many people are talking about Eberle for Hamonic means with almost 100% certainty that this deal will not happen.

Oh wait, I was supposed to rip you. Um, we've never met but I'm sure you're really bad at bowling Fight

ETA: looking at the Islanders cap situation, they're not in good shape there either. They can't take on Eberle's salary without shedding more salary than just Strome's which means the Oilers taking another contract back which makes that deal even worse for the Oilers. Count me out of any Eberle for Strome deal.

Wasn't it rumoured that the Islanders wouldn't even take Hall for Hamonic?

Maybe they have an attitude change after a terrible season :)

I think Grabo's 5M will be going onto LTIR as soon as the season starts. Ho-Sang can't get more than 212k of bonuses, so not sure if they have to worry much about penalties like we do. Doubting Dal Colle will be hitting any bonuses any time soon.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:How to get a RHD?
Next Topic:Advanced stats, causality, and why numbers matter
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca