This day on August 21
Acquired: Don Jackson (1981) Pat Falloon (1998) Dan Smith (2003)
Departed: Don Murdoch (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Entwhistle, ameeratif, Rosco11, etnies.80

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers re-sign Pakarinen
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #694960]
Wed, 24 May 2017 11:18 Go to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/05/23/edmonton-oilers-re-sig ning-iiro-pakarinen-helps-on-nhl-expansion-draft-front

The Edmonton Oilers' signing of winger Iiro Pakarinen to a one-year, US$725,000 contract checks a couple of necessary boxes for the National Hockey League club now and into next season, on the ice and off.

The Oilers need at least two forwards exposed for the Las Vegas expansion draft June 21 who’ve played at least 70 NHL games, and now Benoit Pouliot and Pakarinen, who’s played 94 games the last two seasons, are available to the Golden Knights.

It’s unlikely Pouliot, who has two years left at $4-million a season, will get taken by the Golden Knights unless the Oilers sweetened the pot for Vegas general manager George McPhee, either with a draft pick or a prospect.

But Pakarinen, only 25, would certainly be more palatable fiscally.

If the Finnish forward isn’t taken in the expansion draft, the Oilers need a security blanket for teenager Jesse Puljujarvi. When Puljujarvi, 19, who was sent to Bakersfield halfway through this past season — he was with the Oilers for 29 games — he could always lean on Pakarinen for help as a fellow countryman. With Puljujarvi expected to make the Oilers this upcoming year, somewhere in the top nine, it would certainly help to have the older Pakarinen here as a sounding board.

On top of that, Pakarinen is a useful role player, although the unsigned winger Tyler Pitlick is better and could fill the same role if the unrestricted free agent comes back.

Pitlick has better hands than Pakarinen — he had eight goals in 31 games last year — but can’t seem to avoid getting hurt.

Pakarinen played only 15 games in 2016-17 — 14 in regular-season and the first post-season game against San Jose — in large part because he ripped up his knee in the pre-season Kraft Hockeyville game in Vernon, B.C., against the Los Angeles Kings. But he can skate and loves to hit, and can play nine to 10 minutes a game, helping with the penalty-kill. He has scored just eight goals in 94 career games, but he's the right price-point in the cap world even if it's a one-way contract (same money here or in Bakersfield).

He played 63 Oilers games in 2015-2016, averaging 10-1/2 minutes a night, so the coaches certainly have some trust in him.

jmatheson@postmedia.com

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/boniman/zamboni2.gif

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #694985 is a reply to message #694960 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

No brainer signing for me. First they needed too for the expansion draft. Second he's a decent 4th line player. Big, fast, physical, aggressive. The fact he is Finnish can help with JP. I doubt he gets picked by Vegas and if he doesn't, he's useful.

Re: Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #694986 is a reply to message #694960 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

ok.

Not a huge fan of his but whatever, does his job and whatnot.

Certainly expansion draft compliance signing it seems to my eye.

The Iiro / Jesse thing didn't take off, I know he was hurt and didn't allow him to jive Puljuljarvi time to really acclimate to his role on the team.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #694988 is a reply to message #694986 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 09:15

ok.

The Iiro / Jesse thing didn't take off, I know he was hurt and didn't allow him to jive Puljuljarvi time to really acclimate to his role on the team.

Pakarinen was out for almost 2/3 of the season. I am not sure he was even back when JP got sent down. I don't think they have to be best buddies but it helps having a guy that speaks the language translate when you are just learning a language. Pretty tough to help a guy if he's not around.

Re: Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #695028 is a reply to message #694988 ]
Fri, 26 May 2017 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 09:29

ok.

Pakarinen was out for almost 2/3 of the season. I am not sure he was even back when JP got sent down. I don't think they have to be best buddies but it helps having a guy that speaks the language translate when you are just learning a language. Pretty tough to help a guy if he's not around.

I get that, but that's the story Stauffer believes he's around when he announced the signing on his show.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #695029 is a reply to message #695028 ]
Fri, 26 May 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 26 May 2017 08:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 09:29

ok.

I get that, but that's the story Stauffer believes he's around when he announced the signing on his show.

It's a 1 yr deal for 725k. He's a big body that skates well, has some edge and physical play to his game. Can kill a some penalties if needed. He's an NHL 4th liner. In a 4th line roll, he can do some things and he's not overpaid. Plus he makes it so they meet their expansion requirement.

I see zero negatives with the signing. It's not like they signed a career AHLer who can't play at the NHL level like Will Acton a few years ago.

Re: Oilers re-sign Pakarinen [message #695034 is a reply to message #695029 ]
Fri, 26 May 2017 15:48 Go to previous message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 26 May 2017 08:40

It's a 1 yr deal for 725k. He's a big body that skates well, has some edge and physical play to his game. Can kill a some penalties if needed. He's an NHL 4th liner. In a 4th line roll, he can do some things and he's not overpaid. Plus he makes it so they meet their expansion requirement.

I see zero negatives with the signing. It's not like they signed a career AHLer who can't play at the NHL level like Will Acton a few years ago.

I think maybe you're making an assumption here, that I may be viewing Pakarinen in a negative light. I'm not, just not excited about the guy. Yeah he's a cheap price point and what he was supposed to help and all that, just not excited by the signing.

Wee.

Previous Topic:Todd Nelson to the Grand Rapid Griffins
Next Topic:The Need to Improve
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca